TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much car, too little sense.

Too much car, too little sense.

How many times have we read about this sort of thing happening :-/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ery-Essex.html

Master
    So who was driving it then?

"Although no one has been arrested, enquiries are on-going to determine who was driving the car at the time."

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love the captions under the pictures 'can go from 0-60 in 3 seconds'. Looks like it stops pretty quickly too with the Tree Assisted Braking System.

Car to wide for British roads, who needs a car like that anyway. What's needed is a Daf 55. There you go Cilla I've save you from having to do it.

"Neighbours saw the delighted new owner of a McLaren 650S Spider celebrating with a bottle of champagne as it was unloaded at his home."

Nuff said!

So the daily mail have spoken to the neighbours but don't know who it was.............................B******s

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    So the daily mail have spoken to the neighbours but don't know who it was.............................B******s
    Two people in the car. Probably making a false claim about who was driving.

Good to see the tree wasn't too badly damaged - a tribute to several million years of evolution.

Is there a need for a High Performance driving test for owners of such cars?

The driver probably learned to drive in a 1.0l Nissan Micra and then is legally allowed to drive a 204mph Super car on public roads. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

The driver probably learned to drive in a 1.0l Nissan Micra and then is legally allowed to drive a 204mph Super car on public roads. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Perhaps insurance companies should start insisting?
    But then where do you draw the line? Above a certain BHP ?
    A 1.0L Micra owner might struggle with a 200BHP BMW ?

There are a lot of 'normal' cars out there that have high BHP figures these days, a Sierra Cosworth back in the day 'only' had 204BHP, which is average nowadays. I appreciate that modern cars have so many more safety devices these days but that maybe flatters drivers into thinking they can drive better than they can.

For some high performance cars a condition of insurance is giving evidence of some form of qualification/training/experience of or for them.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I bet it's a fantastic car for mountain roads.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

It doesn't matter what the car is, you can crash in anything. In the last 12 months there have been at least 5-6 small, sub-1.6 litre cars crashed on a large roundabout coming off a de-restricted bypass, and not a single performance car. They get up to 80-90mph but don't have the brakes to slow down, or the handling, so end up either jumping over the roundabout (which is a giant mound) or spin out and smash into the armco. My neighbour also smashed her MGF at the same roundabout but going the other way, accelerating onto the bypass.

More bizarrely, in the local supermarket car park, there was a Honda Jazz beached on top of a bush for days. I could never quite work out just how the whole car ended up on top of it as there is simply no room to reach the speed I would think it would've needed to jump that high and far.

Petrus is just adding a bit of variety. If he lived in the UK all you'd hear about would be his MX-5.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

I'm not sure there is to be honest.

For a start, how many people go from a Micra to a McLaren? Not many I bet.

Secondly, it's not really THAT hard to drive these cars sensibly - You can drive an 1.0 Micra like an arse too.

M.

Master
    That was on Wednesday, right outside my parents place.

I don't know what was special about Wednesday in Shenfield, but there were Lambos and Porsches left, right and centre all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    But only above the tree line

There was one of these crashed a few years back in Essex and from what I remember the fire brigade had trouble recovering the car due to hazard of all the carbon fibre in it. Anyone know the full story?

Am I not right in thinking that Rowan Atkinson demolished his McLaren on the A14, which has 60mph limits on many parts of it?

Don't think he was charged with anything, so obviously was not travelling too fast or driving dangerously or carelessly, so I am tempted to conclude that the car can't be as good as we are led to believe. Anyone?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Am I not right in thinking that Rowan Atkinson demolished his McLaren on the A14, which has 60mph limits on many parts of it?

Don't think he was charged with anything, so obviously was not travelling too fast or driving dangerously or carelessly, so I am tempted to conclude that the car can't be as good as we are led to believe. Anyone?
    You'd probably be wrong. The car would have been designed to absorb energy in a crash, therefore saving the occupants. A crash at 60mph will cause extensive damage, as was the case with RA's F1. IIRC the bill from McLaren was over £900k to rebuild. The car sold last year at over £8m, the previous crashes did little to diminish its' value.

In summary, RA crashes car and survives relatively unscathed. Car is rebuilt as new, and sold at market value. Market seems to think there's no issue with car.

Cheers

D

PS. I'd agree with the OP. If you've just had a supercar delivered, you might want to take it easy and not just jump in and bury your right foot!

Master

Not the same car. Mr Beans car (McLaren F1) had no ABS, traction control etc so probably quite easy to crash under the right circumstances. Although that Mr Bean chap is a very accomplished driver. By comparison the 650S is as sedate as a 1.0 Micra if you want it to be.

Can often be the case that these stories aren't as straight forward as they first seem*. A friend wrote off his £100k+ car which he had waited almost a year for just minutes after leaving the dealership. After lots of internet accusations, pointing and laughing it turned out mechanical failure was at fault.

*this one does sound like a case of stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Hackett.dp View Post
    You'd probably be wrong. The car would have been designed to absorb energy in a crash, therefore saving the occupants. A crash at 60mph will cause extensive damage, as was the case with RA's F1. IIRC the bill from McLaren was over £900k to rebuild. The car sold last year at over £8m, the previous crashes did little to diminish its' value.

In summary, RA crashes car and survives relatively unscathed. Car is rebuilt as new, and sold at market value. Market seems to think there's no issue with car.

Cheers

D

PS. I'd agree with the OP. If you've just had a supercar delivered, you might want to take it easy and not just jump in and bury your right foot!
    Really not wishing to become a BP troll, or argue around the provenance of the purple monstrosity and the idiocy of 'market value' where a crashed car is valued higher than a new one, if one were available. I mean, somebody rebuilt and someone will drive the lightweight E type in which Peter Lindner was killed, along with three marshalls. All at great cost.

I just don't think that what RA hit jumped out into the road* at 60mph - the supercar left the road at apparently legal speed and hit a tree or something equally immovable; Joe Public would be a little nonplussed if his Jazz did that sort of thing, just sayin'.
    * did he ever say what happened?

Agree with your p.s.though.☺

Really not wishing to become a BP troll, or argue around the provenance of the purple monstrosity and the idiocy of 'market value' where a crashed car is valued higher than a new one, if one were available. I mean, somebody rebuilt and someone will drive the lightweight E type in which Peter Lindner was killed, along with three marshalls. All at great cost.

I just don't think that what RA hit jumped out into the road* at 60mph - the supercar left the road at apparently legal speed and hit a tree or something equally immovable; Joe Public would be a little nonplussed if his Jazz did that sort of thing, just sayin'.
    * did he ever say what happened?

Agree with your p.s.though.☺
    I think I may have answered a question you didn't ask Grey. Apologies if previous answer seemed heavy handed. I thought you were referring to the build quality/integrity. If you meant that the car wasn't as good as thought in terms of dynamics. I think we'd agree that such a high performance car without driver aids is a very focussed vehicle demanding both competence and concentration. [beer smiley]*

*Still an absolute rookie at this foruming/quoting business... ;)

Not this car, the car you were thinking of was the drug dealer who crashed his F1 at Takely and really did write it off, pretty sure he died. Not far from my home at the time

Not this car, the car you were thinking of was the drug dealer who crashed his F1 at Takely and really did write it off, pretty sure he died. Not far from my home at the time
    Thanks for that, but RA did the A14 crash.
    G

Thanks for that, but RA did the A14 crash.
    G
    Just looked it up

The crash happened yesterday on the A605 in Haddon at 7.30pm and no other vehicle was involved.

Wherever Haddon is

An interesting little snippet about RA (a year old admittedly) and his F1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/clas...es-selling-it/

Master
    Just looked it up

The crash happened yesterday on the A605 in Haddon at 7.30pm and no other vehicle was involved.

Wherever Haddon is
    The RA crash was Haddon.

The black car at the top of the page was Shenfield, Essex.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.63...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Photo's are a bit misleading (that's a dash cam for you) but he's clouted the tree first.
    Last edited by funkstar; 4th May 2016 at 00:28.

My cousin recently took delivery of one of these. As far as I know he hasn't crashed it yet.

Give him 10-minutes

Don't you just hate it when a tree runs out in front of you!

Master
    Blog Entries
    A drop of T Cut will fetch that out.

I've driven at a few GRRC track days where RA was doing passenger laps, for charity, in the F1. Not only was it good to see the car being used in the intended manner but he was also appeared to be a reasonably accomplished driver. Therefore, I'm not inclined to quickly add him to the "too much car, too little sense" list.

Banned
    Blog Entries

R
    I bet it is not.
    Not much of a bet as I know it is not.

Was is James Hunt who drove an A35 van or so on UK's country lanes for fun? Mountain roads are akin times the power of that.

Anyway, back on topic it is a bit of that I am not allowed to keep the folder I use on the farm in my pocket but that any sod with enough money can propel a missile over the public road.
    Still worth to preserve that latter bit of freedom imo.

p.s. FoxySimon; there was an NA with lsd for sale in Malaga. Sold within minutes of being put on line and it was by no means cheap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would be crying my eyes out, which i bet his insurance company are doing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Newtonian reality

For those confused about sports cars and sporty driving in real world fun roads.

The limiting factor is time.
    Speed and car dimensions gobble up space.
    Weight gobbles up time, which again gobbles up space.

In the real world of narrow winding fun roads most corners are blind and the unexpected a certainty: We will encounter tractors, delivery vans, live stock and loads of cyclists trying to get the belly trimmer.
    All reducing limiting the space we have to respond within.

Normal people having normal response times, those need time to ... respond.

So: We have limited space and we need a shameful long time.
    That reduces the speed at which we can travel.
    Also a lighter, nimbler, narrower car adds to our chances.

Moders 'sports' cars have without a doubt the currently last word in performance.
    That however is a useless word on country lanes and mountain roads.
    Even in first gear they are out of the rev band more time than not, even at standstill they are too wide for comfort and their ground clearance mean you can't get off the road surface to give you some much needed space.

It is way more fun and safe to flog an old Midget to within an inch of it's mechanical limits than to try do so in a modern sports car. Even modern mid range family cars are simply too good, wide, heavy for us within the Newtonian limits of fun roads.

You guys here are all intelligent so totally get this

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^ know what you mean. I love taking my 1275mini up the peak district. So much fun with some beautiful roads up there.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    ^^ know what you mean. I love taking my 1275mini up the peak district. So much fun with some beautiful roads up there.
    Mind you, there is no discussing that any 21st C. car is way superior.
    The crux is that we times the space out there are no match for that so need to stay in the lower ranges of that superior everything which s not fun at all.
    That 1275 you can rev, flog, enjoy and still be in control within the limits of the circumstances of those beautiful roads.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Mind you, there is no discussing that any 21st C. car is way superior.
    The crux is that we times the space out there are no match for that so need to stay in the lower ranges of that superior everything which s not fun at all.
    That 1275 you can rev, flog, enjoy and still be in control within the limits of the circumstances of those beautiful roads.
    people dont know there born with modern cars these days. start first time, hardly ever see rust, cruise at high speeds, reliable. Keeping my mini running and not rotting is a nightmare, But the driving experience is so worth it.

R

And..........

F.T.F.A.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    people dont know there born with modern cars these days. start first time, hardly ever see rust, cruise at high speeds, reliable. Keeping my mini running and not rotting is a nightmare, But the driving experience is so worth it.
    ...and then you park it at a terrace to get a drink.
    You smell all the fluids that got a bit too hot really and you hear it tick, plonk, almost sigh of relief as it cools off.
    Driving experience indeed.

Now is THAT not what 'sports' cars are meant to be about?
    The experience of spirited driving?!
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 4th May 2016 at 10:36.

...and then you park it at a terrace to get a drink.
    You smell all the fluids that got a bit too hot really and you hear it tick, plonk, almost sigh of relief as it cools off.
    Driving experience indeed.

Now is THAT not what 'sports' cars are meant to be about?
    The experience of spirited driving?!
    Oh my god I'm in agreement with Huertecilla

I bet it is not.

Was is James Hunt who drove an A35 van or so on UK's country lanes for fun? Mountain roads are akin times the power of that.

Anyway, back on topic it is a bit of that I am not allowed to keep the folder I use on the farm in my pocket but that any sod with enough money can propel a missile over the public road.
    Still worth to preserve that latter bit of freedom imo.

p.s. FoxySimon; there was an NA with lsd for sale in Malaga. Sold within minutes of being put on line and it was by no means cheap.
    Hunt had a 6.9-litre Mercedes he couldn't be bothered putting fuel in, it lived on bricks outside his house in Wimbledon. The A35 van had uprated brakes and that was it. He used to get it up to its top speed of about 60mph and then try not to slow down. Roundabouts were dispatched sideways.

My wife wants me to sell my NA with lsd, maybe I should ship it to Spain?!
    "A man of little significance"

Warm leaking fluids are normally a sign of old age.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Hunt had a 6.9-litre Mercedes he couldn't be bothered putting fuel in, it lived on bricks outside his house in Wimbledon. The A35 van had uprated brakes and that was it. He used to get it up to its top speed of about 60mph and then try not to slow down. Roundabouts were dispatched sideways.
    'he said he loved to overtake Ferraris through the Wandsworth roundabout at night, in the wet' - Classic Driver

That underlines the crux doesn't it?!

My wife wants me to sell my NA with lsd, maybe I should ship it to Spain?!

I can understand your wife's reasoning as;
    1. she is not partial to that fun and s
    2. he wants it gone before the summer when your son could get imprinted.
    So... get him strapped in the maxi cosy THIS weekend!!!

Over here the resident female wants me and my son NOT to buy another oldie but that is still going to happen. Period.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 4th May 2016 at 13:17.

And.....1,2,3 we're back in the room.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    And.....1,2,3 we're back in the room.
    Writes he who opened the door...

There's a surprising number of young racing drivers who are simply flummoxed by the presence of a clutch pedal. They've simply had no experience of driving without servo assisted brakes, sequential paddle gearboxes, blippers and 23 traction control settings.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Speaking of imprinting

We have trained several of our horses following a method noted down by a guy called Kikkuli.
    Really quite an astonishing method but beside the point.
    The core of the routine made use of an old LandRover pulling a trailer with me in it on some straw bales.
    Almost daily my son was riding shotgun to his mom from a few months old to about five years.
    Especially the stallion we trained loved to overtake the trailer and go look at the kid. When we had the window open during summer, he looked INside even.
    Now 14 the boy LOVES rugged driving, cannot be phased and is working to pay for his own car.

R
    I bet it is not.
    Well I bet it is, but then I haven’t driven one in the mountains so it is an assumption on my part. I suspect you haven’t driven one in the mountains either, so you don’t know: it is your assumption.

What I do know is that Mercedes SL500’s, TVR Chimera's, TVR Griffith's and Jaguar XKR's are all great cars to drive on mountain roads - and elsewhere.

R