closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you get complimented on your watch?

TBH, compliments from non WIS mean nothing for me.
    Invictas get complimented the most often, followed by yellow or orange faced watches, followed by Precious metals/diamond crusted watches.

Journeyman
    When I was in the Army, my team noticed watches each other wore. We all wanted something durable and reasonable in price, so we sized up each others watches, and other personal gear. I was a firefighter and search and rescue, so dive watches were the choice for most of us.
    I lived in Hawaii for 25 years mostly short sleeve weather, so my watches got noticed. I got my share of compliments on what I wore. Not so much in Kansas city. It's funny, I have never been complimented on my original Grand Seiko, but the cheaper ones seem to garner compliments, but then again a lot of my vintage watches have textured dials.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Usually wear it on the shirt cuff to show if off.
    Get complimented all the time but usually after they finish admiring my shoes, tie, shirt and belt and telling me how nice I smell.
    Ah yes, Gianni Agnelli style.

never my Omega is always hidden under a shirt sleeve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've a couple of friends who ask to see what I'm wearing, and then make nice noises, but I'm sure that's more out of warmhearted friendliness than a freestanding admiration for the watches.
    This is me too.
    Although one which got a few comments was a very cheap Chinese automatic with a sterile sunburst silver dial, fitted to an Eddie tyre print strap it had an element of Chopard MM about it & it got noticed by a few people.

Master
    Never!

It's easy to get noticed, just wear the right shirt.......

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As little as possible. When it is I pass it off as quick as possible. For a non wis the question is is usually "how much was that" or "Jesus life is good for some". I often say that I got it cheap second hand, or it was a present from my wife or similar. Have told a few that the watch is fake and if I said it was real and cost ££££ then the aftermath would not be worth my brain ache.

It's easier than dealing with the comments and having people form a long term opinion of you (that you are rich, full of shit etc) that may be detrimental for you on a personal or business level.

I wear a "nice" watch for me. No one else and I prefer not to be noticed unless the other person is on a similar wavelength.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    As little as possible. When it is I pass it off as quick as possible. For a non wis the question is is usually "how much was that" or "Jesus life is good for some". I often say that I got it cheap second hand, or it was a present from my wife or similar. Have told a few that the watch is fake and if I said it was real and cost ££££ then the aftermath would not be worth my brain ache.

It's easier than dealing with the comments and having people form a long term opinion of you (that you are rich, full of shit etc) that may be detrimental for you on a personal or business level.

I wear a "nice" watch for me. No one else and I prefer not to be noticed unless the other person is on a similar wavelength.
    and this is the issue with having nice things in Ireland,

personally i don't give two hoots what assumptions people want to make about me, if someone admires my watch i thank them, if they ask if its fake i tell them of course not and if they ask how much it was i tell them to mind their own

The watch that gets the most comments is my Breitling SOH on mesh - the sun shining from the blinginess was probably blinding.

So turn the question around - as someone actively interested in watches how often to you compliment or comment on a watch.

I commented to a guy I met on a snorkel trip wearing a seadweller - I probably just came across as a weirdo

I regularly complement a nice watch. I enjoy seeing people's reactions to the complement. Its often uncomfortable for them as their watch has brought unexpected attention but it certainly gets the enthusiast talking

From memory only my Sinn UX has received positive attention from strangers or those that aren't aware of my watch habit.

Master
    It's a rare thing maybe twice. Occasionally get people looking. I wear a "Great White" Seamaster GMT

Craftsman
    Hardly ever, but bizarrely just this week a woman at work commented, quite out of the blue, that she liked the look of my watch. It was a red Scuba Dude on a red NATO.
    The other other comments I can recall on my wrist wear were related to straps.

Apprentice
    Have a collection of Rolex/Omega/Breitling.
    Only one that ever got recognised & complimented
    was the Speedy 3570

Many years ago on public transport some youths took a shine to my Seamaster. Didn't end well for one of them. Any time I wore any of my Rolex the only attention they attracted was when people asked if they were real. In a pub once a guy came bounding over to me with a big grin on his face and asked if I bought my Emergency from the same guy as he did in Thailand...

Any time I wear a posh watch I always keep covered with a shirt sleeve now.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 24th March 2016 at 20:10.

2 watches got a few compliments. A Grand Seiko SBGE001 got a 'wow' from a bloke queueing outside a club in London as the bezel was all lit up like a Christmas tree. My Breitling Aerospace Cobra Yellow had a few female comments of 'cool'. None if my Pateks ever garnered any comment.

Master
    Only two or three times in the last 10 years from strangers or a work colleague that I remember, I comment on other peoples watches if I think its an appropriate moment. Pretty rare I spot anything I consider worth a comment to be honest.

Master
    Maybe one or twice a year...

It's nice that there are a few other watch enthusiasts in the local English bar, so comments are made on a regular basis.

My flightmaster gets the most comments because of its case shape and the fact people can't believe it's 46 years old.
    Tudor Heritage chrono, I'm guessing because of the colour scheme.
    Baby Tuna, because of its size and shroud.
    Junghams Mega 1000, because they question why I where a digital when I'm into watches!!!

I my have had comments on others, but don't recall what they were

Most attention I've ever had was when wearing Invictas before I realised there were proper watches out there

Grand Master
    Only when I talk to myself.

Wifey occasionally comments, usually when I`m wearing one she doesn`t like! I wear watches I`ve serviced for a few hours around the house to check timekeeping on the wrist so I sometimes end up wearing stuff that's way too big for me or is 'not to my taste' to put it politely..........she'll sometimes make a comment such as 'I hope that's not one of yours because it's horrible'.

She has a particular dislike for Omega Dynamics........I own 3!

Paul

The only comment (not from my mrs) was a friend of a friend in the pub while wearing my Pogue. He wasn't an a**e about it - was genuinely interested and complimentary :)

I've noticed a guy at work with a Milgauss, but given his general attitude toward others (IMO), I wouldn't bother saying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    ^^^^^^ +1

Within the last 10 minutes I just had a woman in the office notice my Omega Stardust and comment positively on it.

Other than that very rarely

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

She has a particular dislike for Omega Dynamics........I own 3!

Paul
    One three hander, one chrono, one ....?

Though I've not seen one in the flesh, and despite the brush script - even on the date wheel - I've got a very real soft spot for that. Think its being 36mm has a lot to do with it. And that it seems the subvert the po-faced seriousness of many Pilot etc watches
    Last edited by Der Amf; 25th March 2016 at 17:34.

Plenty of comments from complete strangers when I'm out and about in Hampstead Haath, other than that nope.

Master
    I have once been asked whether my Junghans was a Skagen. That was about it.

Craftsman

Smile yellow post-it note

Probably about 3 times a year, and always on this bimetal Rhodium dial Daytona.

Most surprising comment was a message passed to me on a yellow post-it note in a business meeting by a young lady with the annotation "nice watch" with a smiley face under it.

I politely thanked her for her comment afterwards, and it turned out she is a huge fan of Rolex watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    Most surprising comment was a message passed to me on a yellow post-it note in a business meeting by a young lady with the annotation "nice watch" with a smiley face under it.
    So it's true! Wearing a Rolex can elicit admiration from the fairer sex. :-)

Master
    Never had comments on a Watch I've worn, i tend to think I'm on my own with this obsession, that's until I come on TZ of course!

I did comment on someone else's once, and he looked at me like " why the hell are you asking me about my Watch!" never again!

Pretty much only the people that know I like watches comment. And they often only notice when I wear a colourful strap.

Have however commented on watches of ppl I've met. Latest was a guy wearing a Laco type-b. He appreciated the compliment and said I was the first to comment on it.

Colleague with an 114060 was also happy to have someone acknowledge his watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Pretty much only the people that know I like watches comment. And they often only notice when I wear a colourful strap.

Have however commented on watches of ppl I've met. Latest was a guy wearing a Laco type-b. He appreciated the compliment and said I was the first to comment on it.

Colleague with an 114060 was also happy to have someone acknowledge his watch.
    Thinking about it, I have commented on other peoples Watches three times, and each time I was met with very negative short answers, that's why I keep stun these days, but I dare say there would be people that would appreciate a comment!

The last time I made a comment was when I was at a collage with work and was talking work related to the guy who runs the campus, I commented nice Omega as he was wearing a nice PO and he quickly glanced at his Watch and said yes and reverted back to work topic in a flash, almost like his YES reply was joined in between his other words lol

Master
    Never, I try to wear my watches discreetly and am happy if no-one notices what I am wearing.

Not often, and like others have said, pretty much only from people who know I'm into watches.

I compliment myself on my own watches virtually every day.

You`ll often see me roll up a sleeve, have a quick admiring look, then slip the sleeve back down thinking `well done Right-Force, that`s a very cool watch`..
    I don`t do it on the tube so much nowadays, not since that time when i didn`t just think the thought but said it out loud, to myself, in front of all those other passengers (most of whom strike me as being weirdos). That was awkward...

C`mon, i`m not the only one who does this......?

Whilst browsing through the threads as I lollop down the street I misread the title of this as How Often Do Things Get Complicated By Your Watch?

Master
    Rarely from non watch geeks. I work with a couple of like minded people though.

I have a couple of more unusual pieces that get the occasional comment from those who are sane enough to just own one watch though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    So it's true! Wearing a Rolex can elicit admiration from the fairer sex. :-)
    Sadly only admiration for the Rolex, not the wearer :)

Journeyman
    I get comments all the time, though most of the people who know me appreciate I have an obsession. Interestingly though, it's never the expensive watches which get noticed, tends to be Sicura Jump Hours and a Timex red Led watch which get the most comments.

Master
    I often make a point of checking out other peoples watches as it's often a good conversation starter if you want to talk to someone. I was served in a bar last week by a very attractive middle aged lady wearing a speedie reduction on a bracelet which looked almost as nice as her, but not quite.
    When I commented on her watch she knew all about it's history and she even told me how to tell it was a real one not a fake. I was well impressed, she then asked what I was wearing and I had my hanhart chrono on which she loved. I'll be going back.
    I keep my watches covered under long sleeves shirts so other than the above have never had any comments.

Master

How often do you get complimented on your watch?

"How often do you get complimented on your watch?"
    My friends and family know I'm a but of a geek so will usually ask about anything new. A few colleagues are fans too, so if either of us gets something knew, or wears something we've not seen before it'll illicit a chat about it. One guy at work is a big vintage fan and always asks if I've got anything new, or seen anything nice, when our paths cross (usually every few weeks).

"And... which of your watches attracts the most attention?"
    The Chopard MM GT XL

"Do you prefer to wear a watch discretely, or as a conspicuous object of consumption?"
    As others have said, I wear them for me, either as an everyday accessory or for a functional reason (G-Shock/Suunto).

"Finally, if the latter, how do you show off your watch?"
    I don't, doing so couldn't be more crass.

I VERY rarely get complimented on my watches (Rolex, Heuer, Omega, etc.), but I get rave compliments, especially from women (!) almost every time I wear my adidas Response Trail 20 shoes! Go figure.

Master
    Only when wearing the Tag Monaco

The Ed White gets no attention at all

Master
    A few times (when I can get away with wearing a watch)
    First time was for my seiko orange monster, second time for my sub on a NATO third time for my GO Senator moonphase but more than once for the Kemner tourbillon.

Journeyman
    I was out with the lads last night and unbuckled my Luminor to show my mates and all I got was ,,its ugly, too big, and are you a clown? Mates who are clueless, priceless!!!

I did on Saturday, while I was at work.

I was wearing my SDc and as a guy passed he said "Nice Rolex " he caught me of guard and because we were in a public area.

I replied "Yes, its good for a fake" as I felt a uncomfortable with other people listening.

He replied " I don't usually get it wrong, here is my Omega"

"Nice watch" I replied.

I felt guilty not telling him the truth, if it had been less public, I may have come clean.

On another occasion, I was assisting a colleague with an arrest and the detainee said nice Rolex, again I said it was a £5 fake ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    and this is the issue with having nice things in Ireland,
    Sad to say there's truth in that. While we've certainly no monopoly on begrudgers, here they tend to be more directly vocal about it. Quite a few non locals have noted this to me down the years.

I've had a few questions and comments down the years, but quite a few of mine are let's just say wackier than the norm. Nobody's faking them anyway. And it's definitely the wackier ones that get the attention and from both genders. Though the last comment I got was for a 40's German military watch and the comment was concerning the size, or lack of it. Previous to that was bumping into a chap in the local newsagents who was wearing a Longines aviation heritage, when as coincidence would have it I was wearing my 30's Zenith pilots watch of a similar design. He said something along the lines of us having bought the same watch and when I pointed out mine was the elderly relative of his a conversation ensued(the Longines was nicely built I have to say). That's the only time I've ever had that sort of conversation about watches "in the wild". I've found women almost never notice, or care(even girlfriends), shoes are what they spot much more.

Master
    Perhaps slightly oddly, the only one of my watches that has attracted any compliments is my Steinhart. As its a Rolex hommage, perhaps people think its a Rolex, though they don't seem disappointed when I tell them its not a Rolex, but looks like one but not a fake, and a tenth of the price! I've replaced the original bracelet with a silicone deployment strap, and people seem to like that a lot.
    Otherwise, no-one's ever paid any attention to any of my watches unless I was wearing something smartish looking in the swimming pool.

Craftsman
    I find that the more expensive the watch I am wearing is, the less compliments I get.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayleaf View Post
    I was out with the lads last night and unbuckled my Luminor to show my mates and all I got was ,,its ugly, too big, and are you a clown? Mates who are clueless, priceless!!!
    I know - if only they'd simply conform to your own personal tastes, it would be easier for everyone. Wait not everyone, just you !!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!