closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting Sewills on eBay last week

Interesting Sewills on eBay last week

Pity I missed it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I also was watching that. I think it went for around £320 and had quite a lot of interest. Good condition and a rarity!

Looks familiar.

£495 new from here: http://www.wmforbes.com/product_p/9150.htm
    Last edited by Lampoc; 19th January 2016 at 18:52.

I thought it looked like an Ollech & Wajs M1.

Very nice though, I bid on it and just missed out.

Eddie, if you are twiddling your thumbs looking for your next project then look no further.

The company which made the Carmania and Ark Royal for Sewills made the diver above and can still produce it if I want. It's been uprated to 300 metres and now has an oyster bracelet.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It looks quite small.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    It looks quite small.
    40mm apparently, just the right size, IMO.

Even better without the cyclops and even even better without the date.

Bigger than you might think, the bezel diameter is 42.5mm.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    ....without the cyclops and without the date....
    That would be perfection that I would have to buy. Stuff my sister's wedding present, I'd make it up to her.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Oh well, as long as the lug to lug length is no more than 48mm then it'll be fine. And with lugs that curve downwards.

Eddie
    That is. I felt it looked about 36mm.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    The company which made the Carmania and Ark Royal for Sewills made the diver above and can still produce it if I want. It's been uprated to 300 metres and now has an oyster bracelet.
    Sounds interesting.

Master
    A version with snowflake hands and dial might be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    A version with snowflake hands and dial might be popular.
    Good point, mercedes hands are just too skinny and not particularly legible.

The watch world needs another Sub clone. There aren't nearly enough of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    The watch world needs another Sub clone. There aren't nearly enough of them.
    The market certainly says they're popular. ;-)

It won't be long now.

Eddie

It won't be long now.

Eddie
    I‘m in.

Blue please.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Liking the blue one lots

I strongly prefer the old dial and bracelet, though ideally without the cyclops (maybe ND).

Seems to have morphed from something a bit unusual into yet another Sub clone. Given the endless "debate" here and elsewhere about the merits or otherwise of homages, that's not something I'd ever expect with TF branding on the dial.

Not a fan of Steinhart's Ocean One for the same reason: I think many of their other models are quite original and innovative, and yet a lot of people can't see anything past "Rolex knock-off" and this hurts the brand a lot (and yes, I do understand the lugs have a slightly different side-profile, before anyone points that out).

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I strongly prefer the old dial and bracelet, though ideally without the cyclops (maybe ND).

Seems to have morphed from something a bit unusual into yet another Sub clone. Given the endless "debate" here and elsewhere about the merits or otherwise of homages, that's not something I'd ever expect with TF branding on the dial.

Not a fan of Steinhart's Ocean One for the same reason: I think many of their other models are quite original and innovative, and yet a lot of people can't see anything past "Rolex knock-off" and this hurts the brand a lot (and yes, I do understand the lugs have a slightly different side-profile, before anyone points that out).
    It's the same watch with a sapphire crystal instead of mineral, 300 metres W/R instead of 200 and an oyster bracelet instead of a dress watch bracelet. The printing on the dial has been changed but the only cosmetic changes have been the dial and the bracelet.

It's made by the same manufacturer who made the 1990s Sewills version.

Eddie

The printing on the dial has been changed but the only cosmetic changes have been the dial and the bracelet.

I can appreciate that, but cosmetic changes matter, especially when it comes to perceptions of homages, clones, and fakes. If a watch looks exactly like a modern Rolex but doesn't have a Rolex movement, what is it? How does that change based on the name printed on the dial?

I mean homages to watches that no longer exist like the 6538 sub are one thing, but those are already treading a fine line in the eyes of many.

I purely prefer the look of the old Sewills bracelet, so that doesn't bother me too much even though the new one is clearly more "Rolex-like" - it's also far from an uncommon style of bracelet.

The new dial is a much bigger jump in the direction of the Sub and that's the biggest thing that I find off-putting about it. It's completely unlike the original Sewills and very much like a Sub. Or like any of the hundreds of subalikes that don't really differentiate themselves from each other, other than it being blatently obvious which watch they are seeking to imitate.

The O&W and Wm Forbes posted earlier are interesting. I wonder which dial came first? Seems likely it was Sewills. Also seems likely the same manufacturer was involved in all of them. I wonder if anyone currently holds any rights to the original design.

It won't be long now.

Eddie

I like the look of these .

The Wm Forbes is exactly like the old Sewills, made by the same manufacturer but without the upgrades. I considered the old bracelet totally unsuitable because it was a centre-clasp with no safety lock or diver's extension.

Neither you nor I will decide whether it's right or wrong, volume of sales will do that.

Eddie

The Wm Forbes is exactly like the old Sewills, made by the same manufacturer but without the upgrades. I considered the old bracelet totally unsuitable because it was a centre-clasp with no safety lock or diver's extension.

Neither you nor I will decide whether it's right or wrong, volume of sales will do that.
    I appreciate the improvements, but I won't be buying one. I'm sure it'll sell well though, because every other generic sub clone does, so why wouldn't it? I have no doubt it'll be one of the better ones, but that wasn't my point.

Surprisingly, I like them, a lot!
    But I would rather the original rail track minutes had been kept.
    I'll still have a blue one though.
    Last edited by chrisb; 9th April 2016 at 18:41.

Journeyman
    I like them a lot!

It's the same watch with a sapphire crystal instead of mineral, 300 metres W/R instead of 200 and an oyster bracelet instead of a dress watch bracelet. The printing on the dial has been changed but the only cosmetic changes have been the dial and the bracelet.

Eddie
    You said earlier that the bezel diameter is 42.5mm - does that mean the lug-to-lug is 50mm+?

And does the cyclops magnify? It doesn't seem to much from the photos.

Craftsman

Eddie
    I may be wrong (I often am) but to my eyes the bezel looks different too. The original bezel seems physially smaller, with a finer font, a smaller lume pip and more delicate knurling ( if that is the correct word). There also appears to be a silver ring (chapter ring?) visible between the dial and the bezel on the original

Small minor things admittedly.

Apprentice
    Being a huge Timefactors fan, I am confused by this design. I don't think of it as a homage to the original Sewills -in my humble opinion- mainly because the dial is not anything like the original - the numerals, the rail track, the printed text. Some people regard the watch as a Rolex Submariner clone. Yet it's clearly not intended to be a Sub homage either, because it's based on the Sewills case/design and produced by the same manufacturer in order to associate it strongly with the original Sewills.

I don't get it.

Journeyman
    Just noticed the details are up on the Timefactors website

Quote Originally Posted by PowerMad View Post

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Another Timefactors dive watch ruined in salt water! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerMad View Post
    Awesome! That's my birthday present to myself sorted this year, then. Black Sewills Sub!

Is the cyclops on the inside of the crystal? Can't work it out from the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nin101 View Post
    Is the cyclops on the inside of the crystal? Can't work it out from the photos.
    It’s on the outside.

R

Interesting Sewills on eBay last week

Cheers Ralphy. Looks like you're having some fun there!

And you found Nemo, nice one.