closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which One Watch?

Which One Watch?

I know this has been asked a few times, and I have had a look through previous posts but I want an up to date view. So, ok, I am almost ready to virtually sell up everything and be done with holding on to too many watches for no real reason other than to have them sitting in boxes.

Although I am not really going to sell absolutely everything and just have "one" watch, I am going to get damn close to it (well in real terms for me that is at least). The questions is, which one watch would be most satisfying as a usual daily wear - I am happy with boring, comfortable, and although possibly 10's of thousands will be raised from selling off a large proportion of the current watches, it doesn't have to be expensive. However, I would like it to be special or at least meaningful.

I will probably keep the following watches, so don't need to think about them as the one:

Breitling SuperOcean GMT LE
    (Possibly WG Daytona)
    SD 16600
    DSSD 116660
    Sub 14060M COSC
    Sub 16610LV
    Sub 116610LV
    Seamaster 300m Ceramic
    Seamaster 2254
    Seamaster 2531
    Seamaster PO 2500D
    Ploprof 1200m
    Speedbird GMT

That looks far too many - I may have slim the above list of keepers down as well :(
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 15th February 2015 at 14:17.
    It's just a matter of time...

It has been said beforehand that three watches are ideal. A sports, a dress and a 'beater' to cover all bases.

A lovely collection by the way.

I'd think about the following:

Vacheron Overseas Chronograph
    AP ROO Safari
    Rolex DSSD

Any of these would be nice to wear daily if you still had all the others left.

oops thanks for that - I should have added the DSSD into the watches that are staying - I'd stupidly missed it off. The VC is a good call though, thank you :)

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    It has been said beforehand that three watches are ideal. A sports, a dress and a 'beater' to cover all bases.

A lovely collection by the way.
    Yes, agreed - I have sports covered I guess, and beaters - I am very light on dress watches though - I am not adverse to a nice dress watch - so maybe that is the are I should be looking? The ones listed are just the watches that are staying, so most of my watches will be sold off this year along with most of my other possessions.

I'm surprised you're only keeping one SD, Scott? I was sure you have at least two.

You probably also want to try the 116600 at some point too, just to scratch that itch.

I think a blue or white dialled APRO and a IWC Portuguese would complement these dark divers nicely. I'm not a fan of Chrono (don't see the point of the extra complications and I don't like a cluttered dial).

The SD stood out as a daily pleasure to own and wear but it's smallish diameter and extra height steered me off it in the end. I'd probably try out a 2 line no date sub if trying out "one watch". I'd also definitely consider a AP ROO.
    Gray

Master
    I don't do very dressy watches, so my 1016 covers that base. Newly arrived 16660 is gonna be my daily wearer, and I have a few G-Shocks for working outside. Don't need anything else really.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, agreed - I have sports covered I guess, and beaters - I am very light on dress watches though - I am not adverse to a nice dress watch - so maybe that is the are I should be looking? The ones listed are just the watches that are staying, so most of my watches will be sold off this year along with most of my other possessions.
    If you're going to keep all the watches in the OP maybe a really top-quality complicated dress watch is the way to go?

How about a Patek or FP Journe? Or one of these...

Last edited by Nagraboy; 15th February 2015 at 15:00.

I have been thinking about a Patek dress watch. Although I am not sure I would appreciate the complications. An annual calender would make sense as watch worn more often that any others - but otherwise are they not a pain (I guess that's what watchwinders are really for).

How about an heuer monaco LE silver dial, sports and dress!

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    The SD stood out as a daily pleasure to own and wear but it's smallish diameter and extra height steered me off it in the end. I'd probably try out a 2 line no date sub if trying out "one watch". I'd also definitely consider a AP ROO.
    I will take a look at AP. I currently have three assorted dial variations in the 2 liner 14060's, which I'll be selling this year - I am keeping one COSC version (which we now have 4 of in the immediate family), as it's the favourite between them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love it!
    'Which one watch' (and these other 13 watches).
    A true WIS sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Love it!
    'Which one watch' (and these other 13 watches).
    A true WIS sir!
    Like celebrating going teetotal with a bottle of champagne!

Craftsman
    Stunning collection you have there!!!

Plenty within it that would do as a 'one watch' for sure!

The one thats not there and would be my 'one' watch choice would be the black dial 42mm Explorer II :)

Since I've had mine I've almost sub consiously become a 'one' watch man as I seem to wear little else!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    LOL!!! So true!!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    lol - good job I'd finished my cup of tea before reading that!

Yeah, I know. But it's all relative - I doubt I'd choose anything from that list, even if I did eventually manage to let go of them - so it makes sense to list them as keepers, at least for now. I'd still end up selling up around 25 other watches this year - 7 of those have gone already in the last few weeks, with only 2 new incoming - so if I can keep to that level of outgoings over the year I'll be very happy.

You never know - I may just end up selling everything apart from the G shocks

Master
    haha this thread is hilarious, one watch, oh and all these others of course!

you clearly have access to a fairly generous budget. In your shoes these are the watches I would be looking at:

Rolex Sd 116600:
    This is my current target which will involve a few years of saving, but arguably Rolex are the kings of sports watches and this is IMO their ultimate sports watch, tough as nails, incredibly versatile and service shouldn't be too bad.

AP Royal Oak 15400:
    I am a new convert to the Royal Oak design, never even handled one but i am sure it is incredible quality. Don't have to worry about the "softness" of gold. Iconic, timeless and again versatile.

Rolex GMT Master II 116719BLRO:
    If I won the lottery this would probably be my Rolex, GMT is IMO Rolexes best trademark, pepsi is classic and the white gold just makes it special. I wouldn't have a gold watch as a daily driver but if you would then this would be great!

Patek Phillipe 5170G:
    Finally this is probably not good for a "one and only" but seeing as this is not really a one and only then it'd be perfect. This, for me, is the most beautiful watch I have ever seen. Don't get one I'd be too jealous...

Craftsman
    Fifty Fathoms ?

Craftsman
    You need to try the new SDc 116600 I think it's a definite contender!

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Patek Phillipe 5170G:
    Finally this is probably not good for a "one and only" but seeing as this is not really a one and only then it'd be perfect. This, for me, is the most beautiful watch I have ever seen. Don't get one I'd be too jealous...
    This Patek has surely got to be a leading contender, what a fabulous watch - dressy but not too dressy to wear regularly.

watchstudent - you have put a few very good choices up there - the GMT is a definite for the future, but so is another 42mm EXPII and a SDc, so they will have to wait - the AP (which I have said I'll look at their plain sports models) and the Patek are very interesting and I will take a close look at that Patek - price may put me off that particular model though.

Any owners of a white face Nautilus 5711, or an AP 15202 on here?

Blog Entries
    For me it would be the new Get rolex in white gold. (the new Pepsi). I thinking retails around 27k?

haha this thread is hilarious, one watch, oh and all these others of course!

you clearly have access to a fairly generous budget. In your shoes these are the watches I would be looking at:

Rolex Sd 116600:
    This is my current target which will involve a few years of saving, but arguably Rolex are the kings of sports watches and this is IMO their ultimate sports watch, tough as nails, incredibly versatile and service shouldn't be too bad.

AP Royal Oak 15400:
    I am a new convert to the Royal Oak design, never even handled one but i am sure it is incredible quality. Don't have to worry about the "softness" of gold. Iconic, timeless and again versatile.

Rolex GMT Master II 116719BLRO:
    If I won the lottery this would probably be my Rolex, GMT is IMO Rolexes best trademark, pepsi is classic and the white gold just makes it special. I wouldn't have a gold watch as a daily driver but if you would then this would be great!

Patek Phillipe 5170G:
    Just got myself one of those PP's, in Somerset too. Very, very nice, I like it a lot.

My collection had been all over the place the last 6 months, but I'm pretty happy with my current line up -

2001 Rolex Sea-Dweller.
    2000 Omega Speedmaster Pro.
    2014 Smiths Everest.
    1973 Doxa Sub 300T Professional.
    1980 Seiko 6309 7040.
    And a G-Shock GW-6900.

3 too many for me really.

I get the most enjoyment out of wearing the Speedmaster on a black NATO, it's such a freaking awesome combo. :)
    Last edited by senraw; 15th February 2015 at 23:25.

Master
    Blog Entries

Excellent taste above my friend just a Nautilus missing for me imo

Pure class!
    M
    P.S. that PP is the one but I also love the GP version.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmillard View Post
    Just got myself one of those PP's, in Somerset too. Very, very nice, I like it a lot.
    I am sure you do! Did Mallorys in Bath source it for you? Lucky boy

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it was one and only one, no question for me, my Sub. A watch for all seasons so to speak.

What sort of price was the Patek Matt? I have seen some good prices in US

Smile

Just one speedmaster professional, you can wear it to every occasion and a speedy looks good on every strap as well :)

If it needs to be significant then one of the 'holy trinity' for me; to be worn often, either a Nautilus, Royal Oak or Overseas, any of them in steel are far more special than the standard fare from Rolex et al (terrific as they are).

In terms of a significant Rolex, I'd consider a white gold Sub. I know there's no extra horology over the standard Sub, but for just pure luxury and indulgence, it's hard to beat without flashing it around.

Master
    lol, just realised i've started a thread that has almost the identical conundrum, please feel free to cut and paste replies!

OP, let me know what you decide and i'll either just copy you or wait 6 months until you stick it in SC!

first world problems number 73, too many Rolex watches.......

It seems it was not mentioned so far - the IWC Mark XV, Pilot, black dial, pyramid bracelet (not brick-type). It's a watch I stupidly sold couple of years ago and thankfully found another recently. It's supremely comfortable, has a solid pedigree, highly legible and it inspires high-end horology (imo) without being very expensive. If it isn't obvious, I like it a lot.

I think it fits the daily 'one watch' perfectly.

Here's a pic shamelessly stolen from the www:

Cheers,
    Christian

I love the IWC - but my Speedbird GMT Homage to it more than hits that mark for me.

I think it probably needs to be one of the Trinity as stated above by the Yeti ;)

I have a bit of a liking for a white dial Patek, and need to see what I could track one down for new and see if I can get a decent deal - which means a few more watches than planned are possibly going to hit the sales - maybe I only really need a handful of watches after all :)

Master
    I really do think that even if I had the means that you do Omegamanic I would still not go over about 6 watches that way I would feel a proper connection with them. Maybe even a trio:

Rough and tumble - Seadweller
    Fancy sports - AP 15400
    Fancy fancy - Patek 5170G

Obviously we are all different! Good luck with your awesome decision... i am looking forward to seeing/a bit jealous :)

Any owners of a white face Nautilus 5711, or an AP 15202 on here?
    Had the Whit face PP for about two years.
    While I liked the looks, found it too small

Argghh - that's the one ;) Not sure it would be too small for me, as I am getting old and slimming down :)

I am sure you do! Did Mallorys in Bath source it for you? Lucky boy
    No, the wait there was too long so had to find it elsewhere.

What sort of price was the Patek Matt? I have seen some good prices in US
    10% discount if you don't want to muck around with customs etc. this seems to be a very popular model, selling well.

Am I the only person entirely confused by the question?

You say you're looking for "one daily wearer" but then present us with a dozen watches at various price points, any of which might fill that brief. I'm confused about what you're looking for. Many of the suggestions so far (and of which you've approved) would more fall into the category of 'collection flagship' rather than daily wearer. Is that what you're looking for, or something within the price range you currently have to wear every day which isn't currently in your collection?

Just seems a bit odd to be looking at dress Patek's as daily wearers when you have a box of watches which seem more suitable for that purpose already.

I'm easily confused by the way.

I really do think that even if I had the means that you do Omegamanic I would still not go over about 6 watches that way I would feel a proper connection with them. Maybe even a trio:

Rough and tumble - Seadweller
    Fancy sports - AP 15400
    Fancy fancy - Patek 5170G

Obviously we are all different! Good luck with your awesome decision... i am looking forward to seeing/a bit jealous :)
    That is a nice line-up :) I'd need to include a nice older 16610LV to that to make it liveable - then there must also be Seamasters in the mix as weekend beaters.

I no longer have my old means - so I'll have to make do with what I can get for items I already own. I may even go from working part-time at present, to ending up as a full time student at some point in the not too distant future. So, I'll also need to pay off the mortgage and cover some living costs with some of the watches I am freeing up - so I doubt I am going to go too expensive after all. I note the cheapest 5170 I can find is about £35k :) I think the 5711 might be more realistic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Am I the only person entirely confused by the question?

You say you're looking for "one daily wearer" but then present us with a dozen watches at various price points, any of which might fill that brief. I'm confused about what you're looking for. Many of the suggestions so far (and of which you've approved) would more fall into the category of 'collection flagship' rather than daily wearer. Is that what you're looking for, or something within the price range you currently have to wear every day which isn't currently in your collection?

Just seems a bit odd to be looking at dress Patek's as daily wearers when you have a box of watches which seem more suitable for that purpose already.

I'm easily confused by the way.
    Ok - I have merely listed the watches that already take up a small part of my collection, with the intent that they are not put forward as suggestions more than anything - as I am likely to keep most if not all of them.

I would prefer to have one watch that I am happy to wear more often, and I'd like that watch to feel special - I do not believe in keeping best for special occasions and wear my WG Daytona probably more than any other watch I wear, and until recently I'd wear it everywhere whilst doing anything, including gym, mountain biking etc.

In any case, I think I have probably been steered in the right direction, without going too far outside my comfort zone, and a nice AP 15202/15300/15400 or a Patek Nautilus might well fit the bill.

Ok - I have merely listed the watches that already take up a small part of my collection, with the intent that they are not put forward as suggestions more than anything - as I am likely to keep most if not all of them.

I would prefer to have one watch that I am happy to wear more often, and I'd like that watch to feel special - I do not believe in keeping best for special occasions and wear my WG Daytona probably more than any other watch I wear, and until recently I'd wear it everywhere whilst doing anything, including gym, mountain biking etc.

In any case, I think I have probably been steered in the right direction, without going too far outside my comfort zone, and a nice AP 15202/15300/15400 or a Patek Nautilus might well fit the bill.
    Nautilus are very nice, but for some reason I've bought and sold two. Probably because they feel too 'special' for daily wear even though that's what they're for. I can see that won't worry you though, so should suit you fine.

Master
    You seem to have lost the love of watches, plus your money could be elsewhere by the sounds of it. Out of that list, I'd therefore choose something without HUGE value but still a classic and durable watch that will be quite flexible in different situations. So I'd personally go for the ceramic Seamaster.

Scott,
    The AP 15202 is a great call mate! It's a beautiful watch in the flesh and very high on the collector scene.
    A Nautilus either 5711 or 5726 are also beautiful watches and if I could I would have both. The 5711 on bracelet and 5726 black dial on black crock.
    The last of the trilogy, the VCO has to be white dialled, and I would have snapped up the one Jon sold on here lately if I had the cash.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    You seem to have lost the love of watches, plus your money could be elsewhere by the sounds of it. Out of that list, I'd therefore choose something without HUGE value but still a classic and durable watch that will be quite flexible in different situations. So I'd personally go for the ceramic Seamaster.
    The list is those I already own, and am potentially keeping - but I do like the suggestion, and it is a great watch - and possibly one of the best value watches I've picked up in a long time.

As the Nautilus has already been suggested, another contender in a similar vein is the IWC Ingenieur. Plenty of models and variations to to choose from and more rugged.

The Royal Oak is a good suggestion, but it picks up scratches very very easily. If you are planning to wear it daily, then you really need to be careful (unless it's not a problem).
    But since you also have many other nice watches, wearing the Royal Oak in rotation is certainly a nice change.

The 15300, 15400, and 15202 are all good models, each with notable differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    It seems it was not mentioned so far - the IWC Mark XV, Pilot, black dial, pyramid bracelet (not brick-type). It's a watch I stupidly sold couple of years ago and thankfully found another recently. It's supremely comfortable, has a solid pedigree, highly legible and it inspires high-end horology (imo) without being very expensive. If it isn't obvious, I like it a lot.

I think it fits the daily 'one watch' perfectly.

Here's a pic shamelessly stolen from the www:

Cheers,
    Christian
    Good bet as it changes character on bracelet, nato black/tan leather. Not too fussy either.