closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Not all micro brands are same

Not all micro brands are same

Tempest is one of those few which are a cut above.
    It's latest Tempest Commodore is probably the best Ti watch from small brands.
    Great build quality, visually pleasing, great crown and bezel action and a fantastic bracelet with micro adjustment. Not too large at 44 mm. And, reasonably priced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Tempest is one of those few which are a cut above.
    It's latest Tempest Commodore is probably the best Ti watch from small brands.
    Great build quality, visually pleasing, great crown and bezel action and a fantastic bracelet with micro adjustment. Not too large at 44 mm. And, reasonably priced.

Master
    Sandwich dial? Bezel Lume?

Master
    A handsome watch

Yes-a sandwich dial and lumed ceramic bezel inlay
    Miyota 9015
    USD 598
    BTW, lume is excellent.

Master
    Nice - I did wonder if my eyes were deceiving me when I thought sandwich dial. A fine watch, a big beast but must wear well with titanium. Off now to find their website :-)

Banned
    Don't think I've heard of the brand before, but it looks well made to me.
    Last edited by Captainhowdy; 18th November 2014 at 18:30.

At $598 (£380) that's really tempting...

Thanks for bringing them to our attention - I too had never heard of them.

Simon

Looks like a lot of watch for fairly little money.

Just found out- prices going up in 16 hours.

Really like the look of it and the sandwich dial etc, but its just a shame about the case size 45mm is too big for me. A respectful 42mm would have better :D

Very nice indeed in the black and I also like the blue dial version. Price now $638 + $45 shipping. Once you add 20% VAT and a £10 customs handling charge I reckon that to be closer to £525 - £530.

Blog Entries
    Thought this watch would be a "poor mans " Pelegos and found this review

http://wornandwound.com/2014/10/22/t...modore-review/

In all honesty it just looks like great value

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up

A surprising watch for an even more pleasant price.
    Amongst the myriad of dive theme watches it is a very VERY good vfm product.

The following bit from the review had me laughing out loud though:

'Timmy92 • Question

Could someone please elaborate what's new about this design? I'm new to the WIS community, and pretty much all dive watches look the same to me.

Wornandwound Mod • Reply

Ha ha! Thanks for writing Timmy. I have to say, and this might make me a few enemies, but most dive watches are indeed very similar to the point of being the same. It's only after nearly 4 years of looking at watches daily that I see small details as making a big difference.'

'After nearly 4 years of looking at watches daily' he has developed the OCD that makes him 'see'....
    How true.

Their first watch was the Tempest Viking.
    I love that watch but there may be very few takers here as it is big and heavy.
    A real beast but very well made.

Here in all black
    Last edited by RAJEN; 19th November 2014 at 19:03.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Thought this watch would be a "poor mans " Pelegos and found this reviewhttp://wornandwound.com/2014/10/22/t...modore-review/In all honesty it just looks like great value
    Nice review and having seen the variants I really like the mil style dial with the cut out numerals.

Master
    absolutely love the look of that. i like the size, the material, the screwed bracelet, easy micro-adjust, the sandwich dial (especially the numerals version) what a great looking bit of kit.

Journeyman
    Great watch, i like idea of an affordable auto dive watch in titanium.
    Only thing keeping me away from these is the long term serviceability. I don't think that there will be any customer support to speak of if the crown threads wear out in five or six years. The thought of shelling out 650 € for a watch from a micro brand with questionable long term serviceability puts me off, I must confess.

Things that can and will fail are the bezel action, eventually the ceramic insert breaking and the crown threads wearing out. The movement will be serviceable, no question but laying my hard earned money in the hands of a hong kong based micro brand that may not be around in the next five or ten years to come isn't something that's gonna pay off in the long term.

Just have a look at the "quondam" Diver,that was popular on the forums, esp. The german "Uhrforum". They were a great deal with the case similar to the "Davosa Ternos" but costin the fraction of the price. Soon after the hype the first postings appeared with the crown tube stripped and no real support/ service available.

So what do I want to say with this post:
    As with everything - beware early adopters. The first versions will be adapted and adjusted in the second/third generations or production series. I for myself am extremely tempted to jump the bandwagon and order one, but I will at least wait a year to read about long time durability and reviews.
    As for now, I save my money for something from an established company aka Seiko and go for he shogun.....
    Last edited by Barnefko; 19th November 2014 at 20:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnefko View Post
    Great watch, i like idea of an affordable auto dive watch in titanium.
    Only thing keeping me away from these is the long term serviceability. I don't think that there will be any customer support to speak of if the crown threads wear out in five or six years. The thought of shelling out 650 € for a watch from a micro brand with questionable long term serviceability puts me off, I must confess.

Things that can and will fail are the bezel action, eventually the ceramic insert breaking and the crown threads wearing out. The movement will be serviceable, no question but laying my hard earned money in the hands of a hong kong based micro brand that may not be around in the next five or ten years to come isn't something that's gonna pay off in the long term.

Just have a look at the "quondam" Diver,that was popular on the forums, esp. The german "Uhrforum". They were a great deal with the case similar to the "Davosa Ternos" but costin the fraction of the price. Soon after the hype the first postings appeared with the crown tube stripped and no real support/ service available.

So what do I want to say with this post:
    As with everything - beware early adopters. The first versions will be adapted and adjusted in the second/third generations or production series. I for myself am extremely tempted to jump the bandwagon and order one, but I will at least wait a year to read about long time durability and reviews.
    As for now, I save my money for something from an established company aka Seiko and go for he shogun.....
    IMO, this is much better than Shogun at half the price. Quite a few micros have been around for a while now without any service issues. I think there IS a segment of WIS that worries about this but it doesn't even enter my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    IMO, this is much better than Shogun at half the price. Quite a few micros have been around for a while now without any service issues. I think there IS a segment of WIS that worries about this but it doesn't even enter my mind.
    Me neither. IF anything were to occur out of warranty I'm sure a watchmaker could deal with it.