closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for Scuba Divers

Question for Scuba Divers

My wife (god bless her) has decided that my Mares XV-U Mask is a much better fit than her old mask and that because my mask now belongs to her, I should get a new one.

So my question to the peeps is what to do.

Simply replace my Mares mask with another XV-U - they still make it. Or good for something a bit better - Hollis, Oceanic, Beuchet. Also should I go from a frame mask to frameless. I cannot really justify a closed face, especially as I only dive a couple of times a year (to about 30M max).

I normally hate these what should I get threads, however given we have a lot a divers on the site, thought I would get an opinion.

As for face shape - think potato.

Master
    I'm afraid for me try before you buy, as all masks and human faces are different.
    Sorry but that's the only answer I can recommend.

Agree with the above reply, Don't buy anything until you've tried it on.
    Good luck with the search.
    Bazz.

Master
    Treat yourself to something new if you fancy it. As said above though you really need to be trying these on to get the right one. You have a fall back if you don't find another as you know you like the Mares. It is always a laugh trying new masks until you can't find one at which point it becomes horribly frustrating!

+1

It's all about fit. I keep buying TUSA masks because they fit, although I freedive with a much lower volume mask than the full frame I use for SCUBA.

Of course, a TZ-UK thread wouldn't be a TZ-UK thread without something to look at: there is some new in-mask tech that looks interesting - HUDs - but they are still very expensive...

Master
    I bought a frameless Octomask earlier this year for the GoPro mount;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...sl_u3oteb7e8_e

Oddly though, it's now my go to mask - fantastic fit and seal.

You need to try one on to be sure, but many places will allow you to return them.

I have a Cressi Big Eyes and a Hollis M1. Both are a great fit for me (probably a longish thinnish face, I've never really thought about it!), have had no issues in use and the Hollis looks, imo, really cool

The Cressi (my second after I mislaid one) gives you slightly better downward field of view, in theory. The Hollis is a single pain of glass so should give you slightly better peripheral vision, but in my experience, there's no real advantage to either over the other.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    +1

It's all about fit. I keep buying TUSA masks because they fit, although I freedive with a much lower volume mask than the full frame I use for SCUBA.

Of course, a TZ-UK thread wouldn't be a TZ-UK thread without something to look at: there is some new in-mask tech that looks interesting - HUDs - but they are still very expensive...

Just googled this mask, Datamask! Well you live and learn :)

Many thanks for the feedback. Just a couple of questions.

Have anyone got any experience of the TUSA TUSA M-32 IMPREX 3D HYPERDRY masks - they do look pretty good (well on paper away)

Hollis masks make reference to very high quality glass being used - better glass, better optics, better visibility - but does this make that much difference?? I know it does with sunglasses/camera lens, etc, but not sure dive masks. They do look nice though especially the M1

I use both the Hollis M1 and original Scubapro frameless masks. Little to chose between them. Both bullet proof and have black skirts (I dislike clear skirts).

Tusa make good masks and are an ideal choice if you want prescription lenses at some point as they do a wide range at reasonable prices. I think that hyperdry model has a mushroom valve under the nose 'to make clearing easier'. I think it's just a failure point waiting to happen.

I don't really see the pooint of the valve, but then, I don't have a problem with my mask (it's probably the old version of the all black Visio Pro). Sorry.

Masks are so personal, I loved the vis from the Cressi Big eye, but found it uncomfortable underwater. Always used Mares so easy to clear very reliable.

As above you need to try a few on to make sure they fit and you get a good seal

TUSA make lovely masks, I have a few and an Atomic one and a Cressi, however my favourite go to mask is just a simple Scubapro one

This would be on my shortlist though

http://www.simplyscuba.com/products/...neProMask.aspx

Journeyman
    Just try a few on and see what fits well is comfy and has good vision.

I have used an atomic mask for the past 4 years and am very happy with it. The material is soft and comfy.