closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: cancun

cancun

going to cancun soon,as anybody been recently as i would like to know if i can pay the visa at the airport in us dollars or do i need to get some pasos cheers mick

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    going to cancun soon,as anybody been recently as i would like to know if i can pay the visa at the airport in us dollars or do i need to get some pasos cheers mick
    Not been for a few years but when I went it was $ cash only

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im off next month and this has totally slipped my mind

How much is it??

Master
    Blog Entries

cheers, just read that but i know i had to pay about 15 years ago,it may have changed now but my travel agent said it was about 40 dollars each,i think you would have a right job getting through passport without paying,its a money making rackett

Master
    Blog Entries
    cheers, just read that but i know i had to pay about 15 years ago,it may have changed now but my travel agent said it was about 40 dollars each,i think you would have a right job getting through passport without paying,its a money making rackett
    Ah ok, will see how it goes.

When you off? i think I'm mid Nov if I am remember rightly for 10 nights at the Beach Palace

22nd oct crown paradise,I think it's near the golf course,hotel his on the ocean side

Master
    I recall it was $25 each on departure but this says $62 maybe it was $50 each
    http://www.riviera-maya-holidays.com/departure-tax.html
    Last edited by lewie; 5th October 2014 at 14:56.

yeah just realised its not a visa, but departure tax,what a con

Master
    It's quite bazaar as you give them the cash right before you check in and the put it in a floorstanding Perspex box - You really get the feeling it's has corruption written all over it

I remember the massive ques

Master
    Blog Entries
    22nd oct crown paradise,I think it's near the golf course,hotel his on the ocean side
    Sounds good!!! Ive never been so looking forward to it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like it lol

I enjoyed it the last time,it'll be abit different now with 2 kids,they just want to swim with dolphins,it's probably a lot bigger than before

Piss take

Departure tax is such a con.

Four times I've been and won't be going back.

They can't justify it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

They can't justify it
    Well, to be fair (for certain values of "fair"), they can presumably justify it in the same way that governments justify all taxes: Because they say so and they have the monopoly on force. In practice they need no moral justification at all. :-(

What happens, I wonder, if you've got no money and can't pay the departure tax. Are you deported anyway?

Any tax like this is a major con. Getting into Turkey costs £10 per person and it has to be a £10 note per person so if there's two of you and you have a tenner and a twenty they'll take the tenner for one of you and the twenty for the other - no change.

Massive piss take. I first went nearly 25 years ago and they were doing it then - how much lining of pockets has taken place over those years.

Enjoy your hols.

David
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 5th October 2014 at 19:34.

Master
    I think its £45 each now

Journeyman
    Make sure you get to tulum down the coast- one of the most beautiful beaches in the world

Got back last week, departure tax is $50 each.

Isn't it the equivalent of UK Air Passenger Duty?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt T View Post
    Got back last week, departure tax is $50 each.
    Any idea if this is the same rate for everybody e.g. kiddies?

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Any idea if this is the same rate for everybody e.g. kiddies?
    I believe so.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Must make mental note to save $200 when sinking those cocktails!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

They can't justify it
    I wont be going back - but not because of the tax. I thought it was a bit of hole, filled with very large Americas and loud tattooed Canadian's, both whom failed to manage their brats.

The diving was also pretty poor, but we did get to see a 2m Mantra Ray - which was pretty amazing, but not good enough to tempt me back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I wont be going back - but not because of the tax. I thought it was a bit of hole, filled with very large Americas and loud tattooed Canadian's, both whom failed to manage their brats.
    +1 on this summary of Cancun. Its hell of a long flight to be somewhere not so special. We'll not be returning. Shame really, thought it were going to be lovely

I spent 4 months in Mexico a few years back. Did most things between the copper canyon and Tulum. One place I didn't go - Cancun...

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

The diving was also pretty poor, but we did get to see a 2m Mantra Ray - which was pretty amazing, but not good enough to tempt me back.
    You didnt dive in the right places then surely? With the 2nd largest reef in the world its pretty hard not to be great diving. I saw 4 seahorses, rays, eels and more fish than i could begin to count on a 40min dive, visibility was huge too.

To be fair, I've stayed in Cancun and Riviera Maya, and much preferred the Riviera! Better beaches, better hotels, better fellow holiday makers! Plus all the attractions are an hour closer, so less time on coaches and more time actually on holiday!

Master
    Blog Entries
    How was your trip in the end Mick?

Im off in two weeks time

Weather was hit and miss the first week as it was the end of the rainy season but then it was very warm and will probably be hotter when you go,you pay airport tax when you leave £35 each,you can pay in pasos but it's easier just to put some £s to one side.I took some dollars with me but I found it was easy to change your £s when you got there,I was getting 21 pasos to pound and it worked out cheaper paying for things in pasos than dollars,also if you pay in £s they only give you 17 to pound.Kids over 2 have to pay the tax,let me know if you need anymore info cheers mick,I'm sure you'll have a good time

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    How was your trip in the end Mick?

Im off in two weeks time
    Beach palace ,I think it's within walking distance of what they call the party zone ,where all the bars are.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Weather was hit and miss the first week as it was the end of the rainy season but then it was very warm and will probably be hotter when you go,you pay airport tax when you leave £35 each,you can pay in pasos but it's easier just to put some £s to one side.I took some dollars with me but I found it was easy to change your £s when you got there,I was getting 21 pasos to pound and it worked out cheaper paying for things in pasos than dollars,also if you pay in £s they only give you 17 to pound.Kids over 2 have to pay the tax,let me know if you need anymore info cheers mick,I'm sure you'll have a good time
    Thanks for the info Mick!!!!!

Ive entering / departing Cancun via Miami as spending some time in US. I amassed a fair amount of dollars over the year so will see how it goes!!

Glad the weather cheered up for you in the end!!

What was your general thoughts of the place???

Cheers

Paul

If your going back to Miami then I would think you can pay tax in dollars but I don't know how much,really enjoyed it,has changed abit since I was last there 15 years ago.There are some good shops about, including watches but prices are pretty much uk prices,overall Cancun wasn't very busy ,never went to the bars late due to having 2 kids so cannot comment on the night life,if you want to go anywhere use the buses as there really cheap and reliable,there are some good trips to do if that's what you want ,I can recommend xcaret and wet and wild,I booked all mine on line as it was cheaper.Generally it was a good holiday,clean,plenty of police so no troubles,hassle free,there's nothing to not like really

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. Like yourself I have two kids also hence wont exactly be partying, more chilling out and doing things!!!!

Cheers!!!!

Cancún

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What happens, I wonder, if you've got no money and can't pay the departure tax.
    I suspect that you get to see Mexican hospitality at, let's say, a different level of comfort than the hotel you were staying in, until you suddenly realise that you've found a way to pay!

(We're off to Cancún on Dec 7th for 2 weeks, to the same hotel we stayed in last year. Not sure whether to have another "do nothing" holiday, or to hire a car for some of the time and do some exploring).

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I suspect that you get to see Mexican hospitality at, let's say, a different level of comfort than the hotel you were staying in, until you suddenly realise that you've found a way to pay!

(We're off to Cancún on Dec 7th for 2 weeks, to the same hotel we stayed in last year. Not sure whether to have another "do nothing" holiday, or to hire a car for some of the time and do some exploring).
    Hire a car, I hope you have done advanced driving and have eyes in the back of your head

Hire a car, I hope you have done advanced driving and have eyes in the back of your head
    Well, I am actually a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (passed the test back in 1990), and my wife probably qualifies on your second criterion :-)

--
    Philip