closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on this Speedy strap..

Thoughts on this Speedy strap..

Impulse buy and am seeking the thoughts of the masses before I decide whether to return it or not. I spotted the sales assistant showing it to another customer and was curious. It's a NATO strap for a speedmaster sir said the shop assistant. I'd heard that they were bringing out Nato's for the Speedy but hadn't seen this one anywhere. I liked it, very nice quality, leather lined and a sort of sail cloth like material.

Anyhow, out came the money and off i trot...(not cheap). It wasn't until I got home and did some google searching that it dawned on me. It was for the limited edition apollo 11 45th anniversary. Takes a large gulp as my heart sinks. I wanted it for a standard Speedy and a vintage one at that...what I have I done, I thought.

I thought to myself, why not try it on the watch to see how it felt. I quite like it...(excuse the pics)

So what are your thoughts guys? Does it pass or is it an epic fail..

Craftsman
    Is it defiantly the 45th edition strap? It looks a bit darker but may just be the photos.

I like it, but then the Speedy looks good on most straps. I dread to think how much this one cost...

I think a Gas Gas Bones will do me.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Is it defiantly the 45th edition strap? It looks a bit darker but may just be the photos.
    I believe so as I put the strap code into google and that watch came up. Happy to be corrected though if anyone knows better..

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I like it, but then the Speedy looks good on most straps. I dread to think how much this one cost...

I think a Gas Gas Bones will do me.
    Not cheap at all..

Craftsman
    Is the code ZSZ001843 by any chance? I was looking for one recently and noticed they did a black version but not sure if they still made them or not.

I have a few Natos for my speedy and they all look great IMO. Not sure I'd pay the asking on these though.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Is the code ZSZ001843 by any chance? I was looking for one recently and noticed they did a black version but not sure if they still made them or not.

I have a few Natos for my speedy and they all look great IMO. Not sure I'd pay the asking on these though.
    ZSZ000628

Think I might have read it incorrectly when i searched earlier.

Banned
    Other than looking a touch long it looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Might be my skinny wrists

Master
    NATO straps just do not do it for me, would look much better on a similarly coloured leather strap IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    300mm. The material is thick (ish). I haven't tried to fold back the overhang as it might be going back..

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    NATO straps just do not do it for me, would look much better on a similarly coloured leather strap IMO.
    Each to there own. Ive tried a leather NATO and wasn't very keen, although it was quite thick leather so it overwhelmed the watch head a bit.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it.
    I prefer leather natos/one pieces to 2 piece straps though.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I like it.
    I prefer leather natos/one pieces to 2 piece straps though.
    Thanks, I'm still not sure though...

Craftsman
    Any sign of the new Omega Nato straps from Basel appearing in the shops?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Any sign of the new Omega Nato straps from Basel appearing in the shops?
    Ive seen a few go on ebay over the last week or so that I assume were the new ones. They are going for a fair bit of cash.

edit: actually no, I think the ones ive seen must be older models. The new ones have metal keepers.
    Last edited by Petewon; 22nd September 2014 at 22:32.

This was the only one in the boutique I was at. They did have the new speedmaster boxes that includes a NATO as one of the extras.

If I decide to return this, I'll offer it on the forum first as I got a discount on the RRP. I think it would look better on a newer Speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    I believe so as I put the strap code into google and that watch came up. Happy to be corrected though if anyone knows better..
    I put "ZSZ001843" into Google and found a link to Ofrei. They say "Omega Black Nylon Nato Strap 20 mm OME-ZSZ001843 No longer available". One that was sold on eBay looks black, but the standard 45th anniversary version appears brown, to me at least.

However, the good news is that Fratello pictured a range of Omega NATOs at Basel this year (see bottom of page link):

...so I suspect you've bought one of those and Ofrei's listing is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I put "ZSZ001843" into Google and found a link to Ofrei. They say "Omega Black Nylon Nato Strap 20 mm OME-ZSZ001843 No longer available". One that was sold on eBay looks black, but the standard 45th anniversary version appears brown, to me at least.

However, the good news is that Fratello pictured a range of Omega NATOs at Basel this year (see bottom of page link):

...so I suspect you've bought one of those and Ofrei's listing is misleading.
    Thanks, Yep it looks like I have got the apollo 11 strap. its definitely not an old discontinued one as the sales assistant told me that it had just come in.The reference number is also different to the Ofrei one..

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Thanks, Yep it looks like I have got the apollo 11 strap. its definitely not an old discontinued one as the sales assistant told me that it had just come in.The reference number is also different to the Ofrei one..
    My mistake, I didn't compare the reference you gave to the one in the preceding post. So, I'm assuming that ZSZ000628 is dark brown and ZSZ001843 is black as both are pictured by Fratello. How do you find the keepers? You might not want to double back the end of the strap if you're thinking of returning it, but should that work OK?

Let's see when the stripy versions appear in the shops!
    Last edited by PickleB; 22nd September 2014 at 23:32.

Grand Master
    You will certainly pay a good amount for the letters:- O.M.E.G.A.

How much per letter I'm not sure,but someone will!.

Craftsman
    I must admit I am not too big a fan of these.. It makes the total package rather bulky, while I prefer the slimmer look of regular NATO's - including Omega's own offerings. As I work for an Omega AD I've noticed these loose straps and accessories as shown at BaselWorld 2014 are slowly dripping in.

I'd return it.

Pulled tighter and at the right length I think it would look good. But as it is it's too long with the tail of the strap sticking up like that. Folding it over would make it too clumsy and not look good and given the leather lining and, I'm presuming, silly price, cutting it down to size is out of the question so there isn't much you can do about it. And even if you were to shorten it and getting it looking good, the difference in look over a regular nato/sailcloth/perlon/canvas/million other alternatives wouldn't justify the cost.

Yep, think it might be going back. If anyone wants it at a discounted price, let me know

Craftsman
    Surely it needs to be that length to fit over your space suit?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    Surely it needs to be that length to fit over your space suit?
    Virgin will be doing space flights soon,so best hang onto it,and maybe even rent it out to us lot when we decide to pop up for an orbit or 2.

I'd ;like to see other nato options inc leather nato's

But NOT leather straps I just don't like em on a leather,and see enough anyway....yaaawn.

Too late guys, it is being returned tomorrow. So as much as dressing up as a spaceman and travelling with some virgin into space appeals ..the strap just isn't that good.

I'll see if they have any striped ones but if they are made the same as this one, I think that they will all be too long and lumpy to suit a vintage Speedy.