closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The thread of shame: what's your horological dirty little secret?

The thread of shame: what's your horological dirty little secret?

The black cuff has long since fallen to pieces and gone to the bin, I wear it on a brown leather Zulu these days. It has its place... Just.

Feel free to do your worst, the only rule is you have to post your own shame.

Master
    I bought this from eBay on a whim, mostly because of the Rehaut engraving... cost me a tenner.

Master
    There's a little part of me that would like to have LV strap on my PAM.

I was donated a 1959 watch which belonged to my best mates dad.
    It had an excellent 15 Jewel movement inside which has a history of stem problems dating back to 1961.
    The damage and repairs were recorded in the service log scratched into the case back.
    It was wrecked when I got it, with biro'd numbers written on the dial, cracked plexi, no sub seconds, stem dropping out.
    And it looked like this.

I over-polished the nickel dial down the brass by accident, and ran it for a while as is / before fitting a quartz movement, with a dodgy dial I had lying around.
    Once the movement is serviced I will restore the watch and re-fit the brass dial, or a period replacement. The Tag Heuer fake dial is my Dirty secret.
    Last edited by Reeny; 11th September 2014 at 10:01. Reason: Typo's

as soon as I wore it I wanted to own it! shameful but true

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I bought this from eBay on a whim, mostly because of the Rehaut engraving... cost me a tenner.
    Don't be ashamed, any watch with rehaut engraving should only be worth a tenner.

[QUOTE=deerworrier;3261378]as soon as I wore it I wanted to own it! shameful but true

No offense meant but is that real? It's Blingtastic!

[QUOTE=Rocket Man;3261420]
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post

No offense meant but is that real? It's Blingtastic!
    yup, well I hope so it was the Rolex AD in wellington that was showing them to me:) I went down to see the DSSD blue and they were having a bit of a rolex road show with watches that are normally only ever seen in Vegas or Dubai so I got to try that $225,000nz chandelier and a heap of sky dwellers as well as the dssd, 4000 and an ND which was rather good fun. we then wandered off into Patek territory and I lost another hour of the day. I will have a traveller by the end of next year!

I really liked this one and the use of the bezel for function selection is a work of art. not one for gold but this I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    I was donated a 1959 watch which belonged to my best mates dad.
    It had an excellent 15 Jewel movement inside which has a history of stem problems dating back to 1961.
    The damage and repairs were recorded in the service log scratched into the case back.
    It was wrecked when I got it, with biro'd numbers written on the dial, cracked plexi, no sub seconds, stem dropping out.
    Great little story, the almost total destruction of an old watch into a weird fake TAG!

Nit sure if this embarrassing or cool. Bought a Casio calculator watch for £12 from Amazon when I was halfway through my breaking bad marathon. Nit only do I really like it's naff 80's styling, since I set it when DST started it has gained 3 seconds, according to my solar/atomic g shock. Which makes it the most accurate (not radio controlled) watch I have ever owned!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Bizarrely Alan I loved this when it appeared on SC but missed it, put up a WTB but had no joy, still keep looking at Chronomaster and the thought of buying a new one

My dirty secret is here ... http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=krug+bauman ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    At the risk of losing (what little) credibility I have on here I'm going to admit to owning a Krug Bauman dive watch that I bought in the M3 service station car park whilst commuting from my home in Surrey to Chase Manhattan Bank in Bournemouth. I would like to point out this must have been 1995-ish when I was working down there and long before I got into watches.

It was Tag look alike in "steel" and "gold" with a dark green face and the classic Tag style wavy bracelet. In fact it was a complete clone of a Citizen model available from Argos at the time, only the Krug was a bit cheaper because I bought it from a big dude in the BMW who was returning from a watch fair and needed to off-load some excess stock.

I tried it on in the car park having been shown the brochure telling me it was £499 RRP and after the demo to show you couldn't scratch the sapphire crystal I knew it had to be mine. I was going to look the big sausage with this thing strapped to my wrist, a mere 40 smackers was a small price to pay to join the exclusive club of deep sea diver beaver magnet ... ohhhhhh yes, big sausage beaver magnet was going to be the new me. So purchase it I did

Well after a few weeks I noticed the steel bracelet and case back had shed their "steel" and a yellowy base metal was beginning to show through, soon to turn itself and my wrist a strange shade of green.
    It wasn't long before the rash started either, within a matter of weeks the rash had spread and I was now looking like a deep sea beaver sausage with wet leprosy ... in my heart I knew it had to go and I had to return to the hum drum existence of a freelance business analyst, the big sausage dream was over before it had really begun.

To be fair it kept good time though.

I feel better now I've admitted this to all of you, like I've cleansed my WIS soul in some cathartic way.
    Last edited by Mr Stoat; 11th September 2014 at 13:33.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mine is not dissimilar to Alan's . I do like it, though I don't wear it very often.

Master
    Does liking the Dominos Rolex count?m

I don't own one, but something about it just makes me smile.

Would prefer the bracelet logo over the dial one if I got the choice, perhaps they will extend beyond excellent store managers to their very loyal customers!

This... I actually asked my wife - back then girlfriend - to buy me it!

This one I suppose:

My first watch!

Sorry, but don't have any pics (for obvious reasons!) but it was one of my early eBay purchases around 10 years ago. An old 60's Seamaster DeVille with Copper finish dial and the 'sealed front-loading' case. A slim, elegant and classy watch in its day; apart from the replacement/refinished dial and hands, wobbly crown and being exceedingly stiff to wind. Probably too expensive to restore it but the movement may come in use one day what with Omega clamping down on replacement part supply...
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 11th September 2014 at 19:10.

I have a Ellesse italia dress watch i actually swapped a nice raymond weil W1 for when i was young and stupid!

I still have it somewhere and cant let it go lol

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Mine is not dissimilar to Alan's . I do like it, though I don't wear it very often.

Considering the rest of your collection I'd say that it is likely to be a proper watch, and not a fake.

And that therefore there is certainly nothing to be ashamed of, as this is indeed a lovely watch.

Thankfully now claimed by my wife.

So bad I put it on SC for the forum fundraiser to get £49 in a lottery draw.After 6 hours no one wanted a single ticket.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Considering the rest of your collection I'd say that it is likely to be a proper watch, and not a fake.

And that therefore there is certainly nothing to be ashamed of, as this is indeed a lovely watch.
    Thanks. Not really shameful as such but a bit of an odd watch to like, and keep for many years.

The Chavitimer!

I miss my Christopher ward C6 Kingfisher. (And the blue one... and the orange one)

I've got a titanium Fossil somewhere. I bought it because I like the idea of a titanium watch waterproof to 200m, but its tiny and I'm never going to wear it. Its also got a carbon fibre effect dial, which is the shameful part.

There's something about that I like - it sort of reminds me of a propellor on the front of an aircraft. I want to think Spitfire, with the engine bay hood up and the exhausts exposed at 9, 10 and 11

Craftsman

i would actually wear that. lol

I'll admit to liking a rather marmite collection, Alain Silberstein's...

Feel no shame. Sadly, its easy to get caught up in the magic that was Liberace...

Master

That one is nice :-)

Master

Nothing to be ashamed about really. The combination of the best diamonds/movement/brand/material in the world all put together on your wrist at one time should appeal to anyone with a decent intellect.

That said, it's not something one would wear day to day, unless you're royalty, for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I miss my Christopher ward C6 Kingfisher. (And the blue one... and the orange one)

I actually like that.

This Parnis, which when I bought I did not realize that it's a sort of homage to the IWC vintage pilot. I'm too lazy to sell it, and as fate would have it, it's about the most accurate non-quartz watch I own.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Nothing to be ashamed about really. The combination of the best diamonds/movement/brand/material in the world all put together on your wrist at one time should appeal to anyone with a decent intellect.
    Lol.

The most accurate watch I own, £4.50 from a Tesco sale bin...

Johnny.