closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Genesis bikes

Craftsman

Genesis bikes

Folks

I'm in the market for a new road bike. After much research I had narrowed down my options to either a Cannondale or a Ridley. I went to a local bike shop at the weekend for a look at their Cannondales.

When I was in the shop the guy showed me this Genesis Volare 20 - http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/...ance/volare-20. I'm a few years out of the roadbike scene so I didn't realise high end bikes are being made out of stainless steel, I had always thought of it as old technology. However, a few teams are racing these bikes and they are only marginally heavier than carbon. I absolutely love the way the bike looks, the frame is very high quality stainless steel - the welds are a thing of beauty. It's got a great group set and the dealer will do me a very good deal as it's 2014 stock he's trying to move. I wasn't able to ride it as it was monsoon season here at the weekend but I should get a spin on it during the week.

I would appreciate any opinions or experiences in respect of these bikes anyone may have. After perusing Google it's obvious that they have a very solid reputation however I always value the opinions of people here more than anywhere else really.

Banned
    What do you want the bike for?

If you are thinking audax/touring kind of rides then I would be tempted. If you are after a race machine then it's not where I would spend that sort of cash.

Steel is certainly popular again and offers a very comfortable ride. Genesis stuff has quite a good reputation although I have no direct experience.

At the risk of muddying the waters: have a think about a Brian Rourke custom built steel bike. Specced out with ultegra 6800 and a decent set of wheels (I might improve on the rs61 on that genesis personally perhaps with a set of custom builds from David Hunt and still come in at a similar price.)

http://www.rourke.biz/custom_framesets.php

http://dcrwheels.co.uk
    Last edited by Josh B; 5th August 2014 at 10:40. Reason: Add links

It's a good bike, that's for sure. However, the only people I've seen racing them are their own teams.

I think to buy a steel bike, you have to be sure you want to ride steel. At that kind of money, carbon would be the default choice.

If you fancy what steel traditionally has has to offer - comfort and looks, you'll have to accept the downsides - propensity to rust, more weight and lack of stiffness.

In balance, I'd probably not add a steel bike to my stable (1 alu, 2 carbon and 1 titanium), but I know a lot of people who love theirs.

Stainless Steel is fairly new to the more mainstream market - sits pretty close to Ti on the cost front and generally lighter than the more traditional steels. Apparently a bugger to work with, hence the price hike over 753 and suchlike. Bespoke builders have been dabbling with it for a while, but the Volare is the only off-the-shelf model I can think of.

As you said, the Madison Genesis Pro team race on the Volare so they can't be too far off carbon in terms of weight and stiffness and frankly, they look awesome!
    If you can get a test ride and it fits, which is always the most important thing, then why not...

I'm looking at a custom build for next year's (milestone) birthday and seriously considering Stainless Steel for that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post

I'm looking at a custom build for next year's (milestone) birthday and seriously considering Stainless Steel for that.
    I think that warrants a thread of its own! Btw, have you read Robert Penn's Its all about the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I think that warrants a thread of its own! Btw, have you read Robert Penn's Its all about the bike?
    I certainly have - a really good read. Must dig it out again actually - definitely worth a re-read as I

At the moment I'm still dithering between a 'do-it-all' CX / Winter bike and a mile-munching all-weather road bike. Flipping between Italian traditional steel or American Ti / SS cool... Once I've got a better feel for what exactly I'm after I'll definitely start a thread and document the process.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The bike will be used for a daily commute of circa 20 miles and spins at the weekend with friends (of up to 100 miles). So the main thing I'm looking for are comfort and reliability. I had been looking at carbon but when I was speaking to the guy in the shop and told him what I wanted he highly recommended the Genesis - in fairness to him I was looking at carbon bikes that were more expensive than the Genesis so he was pretty decent in that regard. He said it was very comfortable to ride, hopefully that'll be the case when I go for a spin on it this week.

I like the fact that it's something different and not the usual run of the mill carbon or aluminimum. I also love the way it looks, I know it's not to everyone's taste but I really like the simple naked steel finish and the profile of the frame. I think the guy in the shop summed it up well by say that if your not trying to gain a couple of extra seconds over the course of a mile then ride something comfortable that you actually enjoy riding. I thought that made a lot of sence!

Craftsman
    I really like the finish and the weight is not too bad either.

The price however is a little on the steep side, unless you've got some significant discount.

Journeyman
    I've got two Genesis bikes, a steel Croix de Fer and an aluminium Core mountain bike and they're both great bikes. The CDF is perfect for long days in the saddle and it was great for commuting when I used it for that purpose. The only thing it doesn't handle well are steep hills so I'm looking at a carbon road bike for my next purchase. I think for your needs steel would be a good option to consider as it will give you the comfort factor when doing long distances.

The only downside I've found with Genesis is their after sales customer service which is pretty poor. Other than that they make some great bikes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Embles View Post
    I've got two Genesis bikes, a steel Croix de Fer and an aluminium Core mountain bike and they're both great bikes. The CDF is perfect for long days in the saddle and it was great for commuting when I used it for that purpose. The only thing it doesn't handle well are steep hills so I'm looking at a carbon road bike for my next purchase. I think for your needs steel would be a good option to consider as it will give you the comfort factor when doing long distances.

The only downside I've found with Genesis is their after sales customer service which is pretty poor. Other than that they make some great bikes.
    Thanks. Just the personal info I was looking for.

For that money I would be looking at something based around a Lynskey Ti frame. Had hold of one last weekend - in lust now!

I'll just keep riding my old aluminium lump for now though.

cheers,

Banned
    Make sure you test ride the cannondale as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    This was a decent watch too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg9iYK-9E0

I owned a Genesis MTB a good few year back and found it very good VFM, cant comment on the raod machines though.

Journeyman
    Just to add, I've had no issues so far with rusting on the CDF frame and no mechanical issues in 2 years of ownership...I may, of course, be tempting fate by saying that now!

A few years ago I had the steel vs carbon vs aluminium dilemma. I too was looking for a road bike that could handle commutes, rides with friends and sportives throughout the year. There's something about the look of a steel bike that I just couldn't resist, looked at a few options, and not being able to justify a massive spend ended up buying a Genesis.

Instead of buying a bike off the shelf, I bought a Genesis Equilibrium frame (the Volare wasn't available at this time) and built it up myself. If you shop around then this can be a good option and every part is exactly what I wanted. The Equilibrium is Reynolds 725, so it's a good deal cheaper (and probably heavier) than the Volare, but I love it.

I've done quite a few thousand miles on the Genesis now. I'm not afraid of it taking a bit of a knock on a commute. It was very comfortable on a 200 km sportive. It also got me around a few alpine passes on the Etape du Tour in 2012.

Here's my Genesis as it looks in summer. Equilibrium frame, Campagnolo Chorus groupset, Campagnolo Eurus wheels, Ritchey WCS finishing kit and a Fizik saddle. It weighs about 7.5 kg.

In the winter I put some cheaper wheels on and full-length mudguards with bigger tyres. The Equilibrium has a lot of tyre clearance which allows this.

Good luck finding your bike!

Craftsman
    ^^

That's an absolute beauty!

I visited my LBS today and went for a spin on a Cannondale, Ridley and the Genesis. All very fine bikes but I went for the Genesis in the end. It's a solid ride, very comfortable and accelerates and stops sweetly. Moreover, the price I got was too good to turn down. Paid my deposit today, should be picking it up next week:)

Can't wait to start racking up the miles on her!

Banned
    Glad you're happy - enjoy the riding!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    ^^

That's an absolute beauty!

I visited my LBS today and went for a spin on a Cannondale, Ridley and the Genesis. All very fine bikes but I went for the Genesis in the end. It's a solid ride, very comfortable and accelerates and stops sweetly. Moreover, the price I got was too good to turn down. Paid my deposit today, should be picking it up next week:)

Can't wait to start racking up the miles on her!
    Good choice...enjoy your new wheels.

Enjoy the new bike... and don't forget that we expect pictures!

The Volare looks lovely. I bet you can't wait to pick it up and get some miles in. Enjoy!

Craftsman
    Thanks guys. I wont' forget about the pictures!

Craftsman
    I picked up the bike on Friday but was away all weekend so I only had my first spin today. I took it for a very quick 10k and it's a beauty. It rides really smoothy and accelerates like a scalded cat. I think it'll be a while before I get tired looking at it, it's beautiful. Here's a quick and dirty shot of it after I picked it up from my lbs (the reflectors and bell are now gone!). I'll put up some better shots when I get them.

Journeyman
    Lovely bike and a great choice...enjoy!

Master
    That's a great looking bike, I have a genesis 29er and think the build quality is fantastic I mama big fan - Enjoy yours!!