Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gotta be one of the best values in auto Chronos

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley

Fantastic.

Is it a current model John?
    No it was an LE. Was called 'EOT 22'.

john
    Wasn't it by RGM though and not Hamilton, after an earlier Hamilton deck watch?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley

Fantastic.

Is it a current model John?
    No it was an LE. Was called 'EOT 22'.

john

Eddie
    Seems that way
    http://www.justmywatches.com/private/wa ... review.htm

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    If it looks like a duck ... :duckie:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master
    Yep. RGM made the EOT specials.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS
    I think the 38mm version is more appropriately placed. I really wish I had bought the 38mm version. Back then, I was into bigger is better.
    I don't mind a larger case with a small movt, but I don't like it when they have to use a plastic spacer. Metal shows attention to detail. Now, plastic is cheap, but durable and doesn't rust, so not entirely innappropriate. It's just that plastic looks "cheap". I know I know John is about to chime in with who cares if it's a solid caseback but just knowing that it's probably plastic in there is enough to ruin it for a picky WIS.....

You know it's getting bad when you anticipate smart ass answers and address them preemptively in a reply to someone else. :roll: :twisted:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    You know it's getting bad when you anticipate smart ass answers and address them preemptively in a reply to someone else. :roll: :twisted:
    YES, so for f*cks sake, please quit it! :D

J.

Master
    It's a small world in a way as I was at the Brunel Clock and Watch fair last Sunday, not very good to be honest, and there happened to be an RGM EOT 22 for sale on one of the stands. It really caught my eye and had a real presence to it except that he wanted £1200 for it without any box or papers, beautifully made nevertheless.

Cheerio

I agree with the thoughts on the Hamilton. Easily one of the if not THe best value in a chrono out there. I also love the Jazzmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by stix
    It's a small world in a way as I was at the Brunel Clock and Watch fair last Sunday, not very good to be honest, and there happened to be an RGM EOT 22 for sale on one of the stands. It really caught my eye and had a real presence to it except that he wanted £1200 for it without any box or papers, beautifully made nevertheless.

Cheerio
    If they were going for realistic money I would have had one ages ago. :(

If RGM wasn't American he would have gone under a long time ago ... trapped market, I call it. Americans will pay anything for something that says American. Look for how long they've were buying American cars until the found out that the Japanese ones are better and cheaper.

Time for a homage, me thinks. 8)

john

Grand Master
    Americans will pay anything for something that says American.
    In a similar vein, I look forward to the latest range of Australian high horology soonest :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    In a similar vein, I look forward to the latest range of Australian high horology soonest :)
    It's one of those places I hear very little from.

john

Craftsman
    Same model as mine - except that I have the black-dialled version with the red-tipped chrono seconds hand.

Great watch - and good VFM - especially when you consider that some UK websites quote almost £350-00 for a Valjoux 7750 movement on its own! I also own a Revue Thommen Airspeed XXL (thanks to Redmonaco - see http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27466). I have it on a "Breitling style" bracelet that I ordered from the US, and I have to say that, of the two, I prefer the RT. It's just as well finished as the Hamilton, IMHO.

Still on the lookout for an O&W Mirage, though - so if push came to shove, the Hamilton could be a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II
    Here's mine :)

I went for the one with the brown dial. I put it on this pigskin strap which I think suits it well. It's probably my favourite watch I own. I love the 'wobble' of the 7750 movement 8)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Those Christ watches are of nice quality. Yet I wouldn't buy one: I don't like a watch with the name of a jeweller's store on the dial. Christ also translates to Christian in English :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

"Americans will pay anything for something that says American".

What??? :?

Wrong. Perhaps 40 years ago this was true. Nowadays "most" Americans will buy the best for the money, no matter if it is made in the USA or China or Taiwan or Switzerland. We really are equal opportunity spenders. :wink:

If they were going for realistic money I would have had one ages ago. :(

If RGM wasn't American he would have gone under a long time ago ... trapped market, I call it. Americans will pay anything for something that says American. Look for how long they've were buying American cars until the found out that the Japanese ones are better and cheaper.
    Oh man, where to start. I will never buy RGM (never without hitting a major lottery or coming into money big time) because as nice as they are they are way overpriced. He uses mostly Swiss movements, I think. While the ones with vintage American movements are appealing to me, the prices are not.

As for me, I usually prefer stuff from Europe, but wear Japan stuff as well, and am a stickler for honest advertising i.e. Swiss Made should be Swiss Made not just Swiss Assembled etc etc ad nauseum you know what I mean. :twisted:

There are still some nicely built American cars, but even the American badged ones are made of many parts, many non American parts, and some are rebranded Japanese stuff, and some (like mine) are rebranded Japan stuff built in Canada. :shock: I think I read somewhere that the only truly American car was Cadillac, but that may have changed by now. ;-) Oh, and BTW,not all Japanese cars are "cheaper and better". Nissan has been having MAJOR quality issues of late, as have others. I guess it's the North American workers' fault. ;-) :twisted:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktock
    "Americans will pay anything for something that says American".

What??? :?

Wrong. Perhaps 40 years ago this was true. Nowadays "most" Americans will buy the best for the money, no matter if it is made in the USA or China or Taiwan or Switzerland. We really are equal opportunity spenders. :wink:
    Ha ha :)

There are a few, certainly not many, vocal supporters of American-made, American-owned watch brands on the various US-based fora available on the interweb. Certainly, quite a few lament that the Swiss "ripped the heart" (sic) out of Hamilton - although they don't ruminate on what would have happened to Hamilton if Swatch hadn't bought the brand.

But there is a perceptible patriotic streak to some American consumers in general (and a particularly strong one amongst Australian ones, hence my comment - why not exploit it?), noted from the Brit angle because consumer patriotism here is practically non-existent.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MAW
    Same model as mine - except that I have the black-dialled version with the red-tipped chrono seconds hand.

Great watch - and good VFM - especially when you consider that some UK websites quote almost £350-00 for a Valjoux 7750 movement on its own! I also own a Revue Thommen Airspeed XXL (thanks to Redmonaco - see http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27466). I have it on a "Breitling style" bracelet that I ordered from the US, and I have to say that, of the two, I prefer the RT. It's just as well finished as the Hamilton, IMHO.

Still on the lookout for an O&W Mirage, though - so if push came to shove, the Hamilton could be a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II
    Here's mine :)

I went for the one with the brown dial. I put it on this pigskin strap which I think suits it well. It's probably my favourite watch I own. I love the 'wobble' of the 7750 movement 8)

Is this watch a good deal for $400?, I found a site that has these on sale.

Michael

I would say it's a cracking watch for that kind of money as the retail price is $945 on leather strap and $995 on bracelet !

I've now got mine on a tan Hirsch rally strap.