closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Anticipation is over - NOS Eterna Kontiki Arrived - Photos

The Anticipation is over - NOS Eterna Kontiki Arrived - Photos

I have just realised it is quite a long time since I bought a watch, especially one from abroad, and one with the luxury of the more modern (and detailed) forms of tracking. I really do love the updates as it wends its way towards me.

So far

Giugno 25, 2014 00:00 Bologna - Italy Spedizione ritirata
    Giugno 25, 2014 17:31 Bologna - Italy Processed at Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 25, 2014 19:22 Bologna - Italy Spedizione partita dall'Hub DHL di Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 25, 2014 20:24 Bologna - Italy Spedizione arrivata all'Hub DHL di Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 25, 2014 20:45 Bologna - Italy Processed at Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 25, 2014 22:50 Bologna - Italy Spedizione partita dall'Hub DHL di Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 26, 2014 00:52 Leipzig - Germany Spedizione arrivata all'Hub DHL di Leipzig - Germany

Lets see how far it gets by tomorrow morning

Dave
    Last edited by sweets; 27th June 2014 at 12:23. Reason: update

Master
    Is it another L5100? I'm more excited than you are, can't wait to see it. C'mon, give us a clue.

No, not an L5100. I think my next Lemania may have to be something other than a 5100 - in fact I missed an HS9 at a regional auction this week, I spotted it after the hammer had dropped - it was listed as a Lemonia!!!! It went for £700 (plus premium) - a good bargain for someone as it looked to be a good honest, all original one.

This morning's update on the incoming is

Giugno 25, 2014 00:00 Bologna - Italy Spedizione ritirata
    Giugno 25, 2014 17:31 Bologna - Italy Processed at Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 25, 2014 19:22 Bologna - Italy Spedizione partita dall'Hub DHL di Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 25, 2014 20:24 Bologna - Italy Spedizione arrivata all'Hub DHL di Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 25, 2014 20:45 Bologna - Italy Processed at Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 25, 2014 22:50 Bologna - Italy Spedizione partita dall'Hub DHL di Bologna - Italy
    Giugno 26, 2014 00:52 Leipzig - Germany Spedizione arrivata all'Hub DHL di Leipzig - Germany
    Giugno 26, 2014 01:30 Leipzig - Germany Processed at Leipzig - Germany
    Giugno 26, 2014 03:39 Leipzig - Germany Spedizione partita dall'Hub DHL di Leipzig - Germany
    Giugno 26, 2014 04:17 East Midlands - UK Spedizione arrivata all'Hub DHL di East Midlands - UK

It seems my anticipation may not be long and drawn out.

As regards what it is, your clue is that it is one of the more recent incarnations of a watch that has a raft full of admirers.

Dave

I'm excited for you!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

It's Arrived - and I am over the moon.
    DHL are clearly mega-efficient, it arrived 3pm yesterday, and I was able to have time to take it to Rocco for a quick delivery inspection, which it passed with flying colours.

No guesses on the "a watch that has a raft full of admirers" clue???
    That's got to be a give away.
    I am not trying to torture people, and will try and get some pictures (and words) up later.

D

Craftsman
    Eterna Kontiki?

We have a winner - good work.

You win, err, well, err, nothing actually. Other than the satisfaction of getting it right.

I will update with an arrival post later

D

Congrats. I'm also awaiting incoming right now, except that Royal Mail parcel tracking isn't as informative as it could be:

"Your package status: It's on its way!"

Thanks, I'd already worked that out...

How do you guys generally pay foreign watch dealers, they all seem to insist on bank wire ? Do you all just do this and hope the watch is as described and that they will send it ?

Arrival - Eterna Kontiki

I have always liked the original Kontiki Super cases, it looked like a design that really nicely fitted the wrist, with complex curves, a pleasing domed profile, large chamfers and an all-round individual persona.
    However the originals are very early, and a minefield of high costs and/or poor condition. Not surprising. Eterna have been producing KonTikis since 1958 and the original Supers are up to 50 years old now, most of them also seem to have lived the life they were designed for.

They also have a bit of added cachet for the IDF connection, though most of the IDF ones were the much later block case design, recently re-issued by Eterna as the 1973 LE.
    So, about 2 years ago, by chance, I found a page on Roger Ruegger's "Dive into Watches" blog site referring to a much more recent Kontiki in the original case design, dating from somewhere round the 1980s/90s. He had found an NOS one at a watch fair. There were pictures. I was hooked. And immediately set about trying to persuade Roger to sell me his.
    Despite many e-mails and reminders, he has remained stalwart and resisted, though he did share the model number - 633.1570.41

I started looking elsewhere. And looking.
    Not every day, but at least once a week. Ebay, Chrono24, WatchRecon, Saleroom. You name it - I searched it.
    And I found 4 in 2 years. 2 on Ebay that were in appalling condition. One sold recently on a Swiss Classified Ads service, which I only found after it was sold, and one on a Russian Classifieds that was not very good (and I wouldn't have a clue how to try and buy it). None of them suitable.

So last week a search finally turned up an example in Italy via Chrono24. Why is everything I find in Italy??
    It was from a dealer with a bricks and mortar address I could see on Streetview, advertised as NOS, with box an hang-tag, recently bought from an ex Eterna dealer and looking good. I couldn't believe it.
    I approached him, we discussed it (thankfully in English, my Italian is Googlish) and made the deal. Paypal was agreed as the most convenient payment, and DHL delivered it within 36 hrs. I recommend him heartily, it was as painless a purchase as could be.

So it arrived yesterday. It looked good. A quick trip to Rocco at Watchworks, and everything was confirmed, it had even been serviced, and is apparently running at about +4secs/day. The movement (a signed, fully decorated gold rotor 2824-2) looks pristine. Result.

The 39.5mm case is near perfect, and the domed acrylic crystal lovely (though it had a tiny storage scuff on when it arrived), complete with the very cool square-shaped under-mounted cyclops.
    The dial indices are WG surrounded, and appear and disappear depending on the light. As does the 5-ball logo, which is also signed onto the crown.
    The bracelet is a relatively modern re-interpretation of the beads of rice design, flattened, with fewer gaps - and I like it, with its central polished sections and gentle taper from 20mm to a 17mm flip lock clasp with dive extension. The endlinks are a perfect fit.

Curiously, this was not made for small people. We had to remove every one of the 4 removable links to fit it to my 7 1/4" wrist. the only way to make it smaller would be to cut a link or remove the dive extension.
    I am aware that others of this model have a bi-metal bracelet. I know I prefer the one I have.........
    I wasn't expecting the bezel to be 120-click, either. It must be quite early for that (though I have no basis for that statement - it is a guess).

I will also try and get hold of a nice Coyote or tan NATO, Roger's example looks good on one, or something of that tone to pick up the bezel colour.

A 20-30 year old version of a 50-year old design. NOS, and working perfectly. The lume even works. Not something you find every day. Many thanks to Roger for showing me this watch, and Renato (at Casa Dell' Orologio) for selling me this example.

So here it is, my new arrival, an Eterna Kontiki 200m 633.1570.41

A bit more detail

The Profile

The most obvious size comparison

And finally, the wristshot

Dave

What a great story, I admire your persistence and dogged determination! You have a watch of which you can be justifiably proud, and one that the forum will be glad you have shared. Congratulations on a very rare item.

Blog Entries
    That's very very nice, and well worth waiting.

Love the beads of rice bracelet as well.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Very nice! I like it a lot, many congrats!!

Quality post. Congratulations. Looks amazing. Dreamy stuff
    Gray

Nice watch, great perseverance....now would you like to flip it :-)

regards

siggy

Wow, looks really good!
    Nice find for you, enjoy wearing it

Thanks for the comments gents. I have been wearing it the past 2 days pretty constantly, and it is straight inot the "firm favourite" category in my collection.
    If I am brutally honest, the bracelet is a bit datedly thin in certain parts, and the (original) case polishing has rounded the shoulders of the chamfers ever so slightly, reducing the crispness of the case design.
    But that really is being hyper-critical, the overall effect is a lovely one of matt and gloss, black, steel, gold and white. And it is such a wearable size and shape.

Dave

... very nice and rare find, congratulations!

Unfortunately, Eterna has had quite a turbulent time recently with the frequent changes of ownership and strategy - but they have quite a history behind the brand, not just with regard to the movements but also some models. In particular the Kontiki series has produced some fine examples over the years, even not so long ago with the Kontiki Sports watch:

Let's hope that they recover and come back to old form.

Cheers,
    Christian

Fantastic, Dave, and great write-up. That's what you get for being persistent.

Cracking watch - Good work.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    That is a beautiful piece and well done. Enjoy.

That is bloody lovely. I've already got 5 Kontikis of varying vintage but if you ever want to move that on I'd happily have 6.

Banned
    Good looking watch, I like the shape of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I was hooked. And immediately set about trying to persuade Roger to sell me his. Despite many e-mails and reminders, he has remained stalwart and resisted, though he did share the model number - 633.1570.41
    Dave, I am so glad you finally found one! Congrats and thanks so much for the great post, very much enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ruegger View Post
    Dave, I am so glad you finally found one! Congrats and thanks so much for the great post, very much enjoyed it.
    Hi Roger
    I was going to link you to this post, but I see you have found it before I thought you would. Thanks for the kind words, I am glad you enjoyed it, because without your blog this post would not exist.

I have continued to wear the watch all weekend, and (unsurprisingly), it still looks pretty good to me 80 hrs into ownership. We had our annual street party this weekend and it got at least 4 positive and unsollicited comments over the weekend. Praise indeed from my non-WIS neighbours.

D

ps - Roger, what do you think to the non Bi-metal bracelet??

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    what do you think to the non Bi-metal bracelet??
    That it is much better looking than mine. :-)

Best regards and wear it in good health!

Roger

Seems like The Bristol Lazz crew are long overdue a GTG Dave - your box of tricks seems to have some new eye candy!

Johnny.

Wonderful find and a rare one at that. If you don't succeed try try again seems to be the moral of the
    story! I purposely saved looking at this thread (after the game was up) for a morning when I needed
    a lift - not disappointed. love the bracelet.

Journeyman
    Lovely Watch.... Nice to see a dream take shape and happen.

Enjoy

Dave - another rare bird flushed from the bushes, superb nick - at this level you can't grumble about a bit of over-polish. Very nice indeed and great to see it performing as well as it looks. Nice one indeed! I got a sneak preview but great to see your pics of it which bring it to life. I love the crystal profile, very smooth and reminiscent of the EZM1 rather than the Tudor/Rolex divers, also some nice details on the case shape and seating of the crown - very tidy!