closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I'm back and looking for a the daily wearer on a bracelet..

Master

Lightbulb I'm back and looking for a the daily wearer on a bracelet..

Ok so I was gone for 4 years, and I'm sticking my head out and into the forum once more :)

I want to pick the collective brain for a daily wearer on a bracelet, probably a diver.. I have been wearing a LOT of NATOs but I really need a not-too-thick go-anywhere watch that CAN go with a suit (no tie) but one I can go swimming with, take to the pub, work on the boat engine.. and hopefully has a great bracelet. I get to wash my hands quite a bit at work and a NATO keeps getting wet. Which is sometimes ok because I also tend to get them sweaty so they need a washing.. and drying.. you get the picture. Or there's oil suddenly on my hands from somewhere.. or I'm playing with a soldering iron.. the list goes on.

Some specs (and yes it looks like a diver):
    - Clean dial, very legible at a glance, probably black but try me...
    - Timing bezel which doesn't look like it owns the watch
    - No hour digits needed but allowed. 24h small digits NO.
    - No date needed but don't mind it
    - Weekday display - noooo
    - No chronos unless it's with a central minutes totalizer and utterly clean (read: EZM1-like)
    - Stainless steel or maybe Ti for the right one
    - GOOD bracelet with nice clasp. Extra points for on the fly adjustment as my wrists tend to swell when I lug around heavy stuff but I don't like a loose watch either
    - SLIM, not thin but with a low profile and no klunky edges. The Orient 300m was a nightmare for me...

So what have I been (mostly) wearing for the last few years:

Sinn UX - Surprisingly comfy for the size, good bracelet with just ok clasp but it's not for every occasion - still my most worn bracelet watch now
    Rolex 5513 - plexi and on a NATO, I don't have the bracelet and somehow don't feel like sourcing one (for silly money) as I like it as is
    Sinn EZM-1 LE - mostly on a black NATO, love it to bits but but.. too high on the wrist and it's serial #2/250 total made so not really a beater.. Also don't own a bracelet for it.
    Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver - Great but just too big and a bit too brash for every day. Exquisite bracelet & bezel though.
    SMP GMT black dial - pretty good size and wears nice, decent bracelet but GMT bezel is useless for me at home

And what comes to mind immediately:

Rolex 14060M ND sub - This will surely pop up right away and I think it is the go-to watch for many and clearly a strong contender but the bracelet puts me off a bit. Also a bit rich.. I'd have to dump the UN.
    Omega SMP 2254 with sword hands - Another classic and I have owned 2 in the past (SS and Ti) but the bezel numbers are just a bit too big so considering other options first
    IWC 3536 - Never owned one but have a feeling it would be too big and too titaniumish
    Glycine Combat Sub - slim but I don't like any of the dials that much.. the 24h numbers on the dial.. grrrr...
    Tudor - but no .. no snowflake for me and can't get used to the big hour markers
    Grand Seikos - have to see what they've done in the last 4y tbh

So, hit me! It's a tall order but I'm sure I'll get a boatload of ideas.

.. and the faster you get me after a new prize, the faster some of my hidden treasures will pop up on SC ;)

Master
    3536 in SS not that much bigger than a current sub, way less of them around.

No bezel, but it would be hard to find a better all round watch.

Smart enough, tough enough (hardened case), WR enough. I love the look as well :

Archiemede Outdoors

http://www.archimede-watches.com/arc...ort-watch.html

Sumo? Rather humble in the company of your shortlist but it's a practical diver that can dress up, and a very comfortable wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Sumo? Rather humble in the company of your shortlist but it's a practical diver that can dress up, and a very comfortable wearer.
    The Sumo on bracelet is a cracker, and as above, I agree that it is incredibly comfy on the wrist.
    One of my favourites.

I seem to remember a steel 3536 on the sales corner a few months back.

Cant really go wrong with that model. And if you did it would probably still be appreciating on your wrist.

Red face Well I'll ask - GONE WHERE??!!

:) Special Ops in deepest, darkest Africa, or otherwise incarcerated?

With regards to the watch choice - I'd still recommend the classic Omega SMP 2254.50. You can get really nice serviced examples for £1,500.

What's your budget, by the way?

Sinn 657?

Quote Originally Posted by vaizki View Post
    Ok so I was gone for 4 years, and I'm sticking my head out and into the forum once more :)
    Ha ha..! You can never really stay away. I know... I've tried. So, welcome back!

-flugzeit

MKII Paradive?

Master
    As I suspected a good turnout (and a bunch of appropriately cheeky PMs flogging me watches!) but no perfect storm yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    3536 in SS not that much bigger than a current sub, way less of them around.
    I'll have to try and find one to fondle as they don't seem to hang around SC ready for picking up..

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    No bezel, but it would be hard to find a better all round watch.
    Archiemede Outdoors
    .. but no bezel on the Archimede. I'll just get a bracelet for my Damasko instead.. oh wait?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Nothing wrong with a honest Seiko! I own loads but not the Sumo.. hmm! I had a Ti Samurai but it didn't grow on me :(

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    :) Special Ops in deepest, darkest Africa, or otherwise incarcerated?

With regards to the watch choice - I'd still recommend the classic Omega SMP 2254.50. You can get really nice serviced examples for £1,500.

What's your budget, by the way?
    Just away from WISdom.. moved house and decided to put the hobby on hold until I've sorted out what I really wear and the budget :) Which is flexible as I have a load of watches I could unload for the right daily wearer. I muight

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit View Post
    Ha ha..! You can never really stay away. I know... I've tried. So, welcome back!
    Yes, I can't quit.. thanks!

Sinn 657 .. The bracelet is the same as on the UX, not a daily wearer for me (I know! I AM very picky) and I went to a Sinn dealer recently trying these on.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    MKII Paradive?
    Lovely but not something I'd wear with a suit tbh.

Craftsman
    Smiths Everest

Craftsman
    Welcome back: 2531.80

Yes, the good ol' plain Omega Seamaster Bond full size auto. Ticks all boxes except for a quick bracelet adjustment.

Master
    The 2531.80 has been suggested to me in person and on a few PMs already and a solid suggestion indeed. The tram-track bracelet and hollow hands have been a sticking point for me though but it's been 7 years since I last held one so I may need to reassess.

The SWMBO has told me to just keep wearing the Ulysse Nardin every day.. I get a vague recollection I may have understated its value? That said, I might just do it if I get stuck on this :)

An internal bezel

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    An internal bezel
    Indeed that is also an option and I love my Accutron Snorkel for the internal bezel. IWC Aquatimers come to mind naturally..

Earlier today noticed this (A blog to WATCH picture):

time to pop into an IWC AD.. :O

Ultimately though I fear I will default to a diver. And yes, I do dive.. 30 years since my first dive coming up next year! Oooo that must be a good reason to get a new watch!

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Smiths Everest
    +1

Master
    Another vote for the everest, ticks so many boxes and is as versatile as anything.
    Love mine and it would be worn more often but I'm sure that my son sleeps with it under his pillow so I cant find it ;)

Master
    I still need something to time with.. I can't even cook without a bezel or my EZM-1 :)

Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military.. hadn't seen that one either.. seems like the bracelet is well appreciated? But it's 13mm thick. Cheap as chips though!

PRS3

Quote Originally Posted by vaizki View Post
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military.. hadn't seen that one either.. seems like the bracelet is well appreciated? But it's 13mm thick. Cheap as chips though!
    On the contrary, according to the guy selling one on eBay right now, they're "highly collectable" and "almost impossible to get hold of" as they're "always sold out straight away". His OVM is already bid up to 80% of the new price with two days to go.

Someone needs to tell Steinhart, as they seem to have plenty in stock on their website right now...

I have to shout up again for the Bond 2531.80 auto. Wearing it today and it feels so right. I know the skeleton hands divide opinion but overall it covers many bases. In another thread the SMPc was described as the only watch you will ever need. The same could be said for the 2531.80.

I have a Steinhart Ocean One and it immediately sprung to mind when I read this requirement. As a beater it ticks a lot of boxes, the bracelet is superb (although as a desk rider I wear it mainly on NATO or gasgasbones)

If 'probably a diver' means you would consider something else then what you have described is a Rolex Explorer 214270 to a tee!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    If 'probably a diver' means you would consider something else then what you have described is a Rolex Explorer 214270 to a tee!
    There is no 'tee' in 'bezel', I checked! :)

But I went to fetch my Omega Marine Chronometer from a service shop where it's been since 2009 (ok so not only have I been away but also neglecting some watches..) and I ran into a new contender for this.

Oris Aquis Date 43mm.

It was FAR better than the older Oris divers that I've had. This is cleaner, smarter, less bulky and snug on my wrist. And not HUGE like some of their models..

As with the older Oris models, the lug shape makes it very hard fit non-OEM straps but the OEM bracelet and rubber for this were both just fine. The rubber was actually very very good with none of that lint-catching feel and a wonderful micro adjust. And it didn't smell funny.

Overall I was really impressed with how Oris has updated the divers.

Craftsman
    What movement?
    Some Oris have a small ladies-caliber in it which put me of...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    What movement?
    Some Oris have a small ladies-caliber in it which put me of...
    SW200 I think was the movement.