closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: for you vintage Omega fans, My dads watch when he was 21 (he is 83 now)

Craftsman

for you vintage Omega fans, My dads watch when he was 21 (he is 83 now)

62 year old Omega worn every day, only had 3 services, runs faultless.

but what is it :-)
    just interested and was the reason I choose Omega as a brand to wear.

Blog Entries
    Imagine a 62 years old car that had only 3 times oil changed

Very shiny hands for being 60 years old.

Now, THATS a watch with REAL value!
    And its a testament to the level Omega were at 62 years ago that the watch runs so strongly even now.
    I really like the bracelet too - has your father ever worn it on a strap?

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Very shiny hands for being 60 years old.
    Well, to be fair, the OP doesn't say when its three services were carried out and if any replacements/refinishing happened...
    Id be interested to find out.

Craftsman
    no new visible parts, it was cleaned by a friend a few years back because the main spring broke, so the only new part is a main spring.

I do have a picture of it in bits some where.

But it's a brand which seems to last that's for sure.
    He was a field engineer, but I cannot think of a day he has not worn it in 62 years. So I bet it has been round the world a few times.

it was on a strap for 2 years, but that will be long gone, as his dad bought him it for his 21st and he bought the bracelet when he got his 1st job 2 years later in 1953.
    I think the bracelet would have been the same price as the watch back then.

as I said he always wanted to buy me an Omega and although he does not like mine that much( things its to thick) he still gave me free choice.
    Mine is from 1999 :-) saying that mine looks thin vs a PO these days.

My father is exactly the same about modern watches - he thinks my PO is a monstrosity! - but then hes old enough to remember when the emphasis was on creating understated watches and the watch houses were in competition to create the smallest thinnest movements to really show they were at the pinnacle of their game.
    Strangely he doesn't mind my speedy, but then its not quite so bulky and, having been in the army, he probably appreciates that sometimes legibility and robustness have to take precedence over elegance - for the same reasons, however, he probably finds the oversized watch trend almost as amusing as I do!

So, is the bracelet he had fitted an Omega bracelet? Im assuming so. What does the clasp look like?

Master
    Really like the vintage Omegas with Arabic numerals.

Craftsman
    The clasp is a nice bit of metal as it happens and with the Omega logo.
    I,ll do a picture next time I go round.

I inherited my dad's omega from c1960 - I even managed to buy a similar age box to keep it in- to me it's priceless. Not a daily wearer but the watch I treasure - shame the wearer is no longer here- but it meant everything to him and I was honoured to be entrusted with it

Craftsman
    Nice. Looks great for 62 years of every day use.

Craftsman
    So, what is it ? Lol

Does it have a name, or did Omega not name watches much back then.
    It's also very thin.

Craftsman
    I think that your Dad's old Omega looks great - sorry I have no idea what it is though. I have an old Bernex from my fathers 18th birthday that needs a repair (second hand has fallen off and doesn't wind any more) c 1954. I'll try to post some pics at some point. I'm sure little actual value but lots of sentimental value.....your Dad's Omega likely worth a lot more monetarily....enjoy in good health!

BW
    P

Craftsman
    What a nice thread. My own Son is teeing me up for an Omega when he gets a little older. His current favourite is a De Ville.

That's a beautiful watch with terrific provenance. I have a watch that is not quite as old as that and was bought by my grandfather in 1963 to mark my birth (and worn lots since then) it has the same bracelet as yours...

Very nice. My dad got an omega for his 21st and it is now mine. They don't make em like they used to:

My dad's Omega from 1967. Dad passed away and my mom gave this beauty to me.
    There is no money that can buy it.

Here is vintage Omega detabase
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-o...tches-database
    Last edited by NenoS; 28th December 2013 at 23:22. Reason: add link

What lovely watches all of them. My Dad's watch is not an Omega, but I would never sell it for any amount. It is priceless to me. Thanks for sharing.

That is a very fine looking watch with a nice patina. I had a look in the Omega Vintage Watches Database:http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-o...tches-database

The case and crown suggest the watch is a mechanical as apposed to an automatic, I thought I had found the model, but the Omega symbol was printed and not applied.

Please have a look at the Omega Vintage Watches Database, you may actually find the correct model number, but it will be shown with a different dial, as dials can vary greatly on similar models.

Wishing you better luck, than my brief search achieved.

Craftsman
    Thats a lovely watch,and nothing better than having your fathers watch.....handed down.Why wasnt my father ex SBS and then he could have handed down the Rolex lol

Journeyman

bracelet

Get the spring bars replaced before it falls off, looks a bit on the loose side.

Master
    A real testament to Omegas build quality, I have recently started to wear my fathers Omega although it is fairly modern (from 1987).

Very nice watch OP.

I collect vintage watches and have most types of Omega including this one that is almost the same as your Dad's.

Dates from 1950-51. Calibre 265.

In answer to your question, very few Omegas had "names" in those days but they are very high quality watches with all in house movements.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Pure emotion.... The highest value there is in collection.

Omega is a great brand not only in the past, but also in the present.

Welcome!

Best! Glenn

vintage omega

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    62 year old Omega worn every day, only had 3 services, runs faultless.

but what is it :-)
    just interested and was the reason I choose Omega as a brand to wear.

This brings back memories and reminds me of my age!!!
    I still have my Seamaster purchased in Singapore in 1962 as part of a special offer for the RAF search and rescue aircrew on 205Sqn
    It was a good offer costing about £15 with the only proviso that your name and number were engraved by Omega Singapore on the back of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    This brings back memories and reminds me of my age!!!
    I still have my Seamaster purchased in Singapore in 1962 as part of a special offer for the RAF search and rescue aircrew on 205Sqn
    It was a good offer costing about £15 with the only proviso that your name and number were engraved by Omega Singapore on the back of the watch.
    Great story, it's great that watches were more affordable nowadays now they think it's ok to ask for a minimum of one months wages for a bloody Omega. I'm pretty sure £15 back then wasn't more a week's wages. According to the internet the average was about £600 a year back then. Fast forward to 2014, average annual earnings is ~26K which works out to about £500 a week. Try and get an Omega for that, could barely get an auto Hamilton/Tissot for this much.

Lovely watch, these old Omegas have so much character.

I wore this for years until my middle son decided he wanted it. A redialed cal354 bumper.

Journeyman
    Love vintage omegas

My grandfather bought an Omega Seamaster in the early 1970's..............he wore it everyday for about 30 years and it worked
    perfectly......when he died I inherited it-and within a few weeks the bloody thing packed up.

Apprentice

Omega 1970's?

Hi all,

I'm literally brand new to this Forum and this is my breaking-of-the-cherry post and I've big fan of Timefactors and the stunning Precista watches (I hope someone can chime in here if they own Precista and let me know their thoughts - I bought a CWC SBS divers watch instead and kind of regret not trying a Precista).

Ok I am based in Dubai and recently came across the old watch souk (market) in the old less salubrious part of the city down by the creek. Lots of lovely interesting pieces but this Omega really interested me yet I have no idea what it is and what sort of value it has apart from being deeply desirable.

Can anyone here tell me what it is, apparently it's from the 1970's and the seller in the souk obviously knew what it was as was asking large money for it (over EUR4k).

Many thanks in advance for all thoughts, banter and advice on this.

Best wishes from UAE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a football chrono from the late '60's - '70's with an 861 movement.

All the models I have seen have orange time hands so they could have been replaced on that model although you can never be 100% sure on vintage Omega.

What he is asking is almost double what it is worth.
    Last edited by Neil.C; 26th June 2014 at 07:43.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    It's a football chrono from the late '60's - '70's with an 861 movement.

All the models I have seen have orange time hands so they could have been replaced on that model although you can never be 100% sure on vintage Omega.

What he is asking is almost double what it is worth.

Neil thanks so much for replying as I was really curious to know what this was and especially as the price was so high on it too.