closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Duty free Dubai/shanghai

Master

Duty free Dubai/shanghai

I've got a trip to Shanghai via Dubai tomorrow and it could be a good chance for me to look at an 18kt submariner.

I should be able to save at least the VAT, does anyone know where to get the best deals and what to look out for?

Any problems bringing it back into the UK?

All advice gratefully received.

Craftsman
    Legally you'll be expected to pay duty on import.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    I've got a trip to Shanghai via Dubai tomorrow and it could be a good chance for me to look at an 18kt submariner.

I should be able to save at least the VAT, does anyone know where to get the best deals and what to look out for?

One thing you can be sure of is plenty of gold in Dubai duty free,but the prices are not that much different as there is no Duty in UAE and from memory Shanghai would be more expensive,if your flying from LHR I would guess with emirates as your via Dubai T3 has rolex and in mappin and Webb give them a try,have a good trip.

Tony

Didn't see anything cheaper than here in Shanghai this week.

Apprentice
    Buy it then put in on and wear it for the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Legally you'll be expected to pay duty on import.
    Plus VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex11 View Post
    Buy it then put in on and wear it for the plane?
    That won't guarantee ducking the VAT, especially on a gold model that surely will attract attention to the wearers wrist.

In any case, if you do decide to go that way, don't put the box/tags in your bag, mail it to yourself instead

Yes, I know, I have a criminal mind
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 15th June 2014 at 18:33.

Master
    Good thinking chaps, checked in and there's a boutique in the hotel full of AP also lots of D&S and a bit of rolex, no prices always a bad sign

Master

DUTY FREE ??

I think for a big piece like that if you shopped around here you d get a big chunk off anyway without any of the hassle tbh , as I can t see them being big sellers and chances are you ll find one that's been sat for a good period of time and if you drop on the right AD at the right time ?

Apprentice

Try Doha Duty Free instead of DXB for all things Rolex etc

Word on the souk from a good buddy of mine who travels regularly to Doha from here that the Duty Free in Doha International were offering good discounts on the latest Rolex's - for example - the new Rolex GMT Master II Blue Black - main dealer here has it on the books for Dhs34.5k - in Doha Intl they were offered at Dhs30.1k.

That's a tasty saving.

The GMT Master II Blue Black I tired on and whilst love the "Pepsi" style bevel it's not my cup of tea as quite a substantial watch in terms of size etc.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post

I'd say just buy it and wear it on your wrist on the way back. I've done that before, no issues .

If you bought one is there a safe way to pay?i would use c/card,but do they charge extra for out of uk transactions?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 500DXB View Post
    I'd say just buy it and wear it on your wrist on the way back. I've done that before, no issues .
    Well actually some people had issues with this, you may get stopped by customers and asked for the watch.