closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Autodromo watches

Autodromo watches

Has anyone seen one of these?

http://www.pageandcooper.com/watch/?cat=47

I rather like them apart from the lack of automatic movement. I still hope one day someone will produce a proper rev counter watch that goes to 11 with the red line at 12, where the hour hand flicks back to 0 again
    "A man of little significance"

I've just come across these today and think they look pretty nice.

http://www.autodromo.com/pages/collections

Wasn't there a very similar (re-issued?) Tag Heuer Chrono about ten years ago?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Wasn't there a very similar (re-issued?) Tag Heuer Chrono about ten years ago?
    The two on the left are in classic Autavia colours, while the case is similar to the Montreal.

I can't help think that this is the sort of thing Tag should be doing with the Heuer brand, rather than just using it on the Silverstone (an almost exact replica), Monaco (a nearly but out in every way replica) and Carrera (the only one that has almost been around continuously). I'm not a huge fan of the Autavia reissue of a few years back but these Autodromo watches I do like.

The Autavia- that's the boaby.
    ______

​Jim.

I quite like white face - blue hands combo, but it seems too expensive for quartz and unknown brand.

Craftsman
    Not a million miles away from the Junghans 1972 series

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I've just come across these today and think they look pretty nice.

http://www.autodromo.com/pages/collections
    Just bumping this thread after seeing the same in this months Evo magazine. A nice range if I am honest, tempted for the L/E yellow face on the right, but 525 + VAT is quite sharp.

Anyone ordered / own any other models from the brand?

Met the owner last year and played with the non-chronos. Not unimpresive: nicely made, great straps, really well designed. They might be quartz, but they are good quality and unusual enough to stand out. I rather like them.

I actually quite like the look of the white and blue one...

and it's the first non-Rolex/Tudor I've considered buying in the past five years!

The Autodromo owner had his classic Ferrari featured in a Petrolicious video a couple of months ago. Very classy and understated Ferrari.

http://www.petrolicious.com/live-the...errari-208-gt4

Ross :)

I like the look of these too and could be tempted by the white dial with blue hands. The non LE versions come in at a smidge under £500 from Page & Cooper and whilst it's a quartz (which I don't mind) it looks like they've used a good movement:

"Powered by an innovative Seiko hybrid meca-quartz movement, the Prototipo features a sweep second hand and instant chronograph reset thanks to internal mechanical linkages shared with Seiko's in-house automatic movements. Prototipo delivers the reliability and precision of a quartz watch, with the crisp pusher feel and visual delight of a mechanical chronograph."

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    "Powered by an innovative Seiko hybrid meca-quartz movement, the Prototipo features a sweep second hand and instant chronograph reset thanks to internal mechanical linkages shared with Seiko's in-house automatic movements. Prototipo delivers the reliability and precision of a quartz watch, with the crisp pusher feel and visual delight of a mechanical chronograph."
    That's rather interesting. Does anyone know what Seiko in-house movements do this?

When I read about these watches a while ago, I assumed a basic Seiko kinetic with some bits bolted on. If you like kinetics, fine.

The watches do look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
    That's rather interesting. Does anyone know what Seiko in-house movements do this?
    Seiko VK64/63, one assumes.

Pleased to see people talking about this watch on TZ.

I think it's a cracking piece and have ordered one myself.

Yes it's the VK model.

I'm trying to get the prototype over for Salon QP.

I'll do a YouTube video too.

Handsome watches, would be interested to see one as I could be tempted if the quality is right.

Love the 208GT4 - I'm actually writing a book about v8 ferraris at the moment, and have a section about 208s still to write. Might try to get in touch for a chat about it

I am sure Bradley at Autodromo would love to help he is absolutely passionate about what he does and I am sure will have a lot of background material.

As for the watch......I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    Handsome watches, would be interested to see one as I could be tempted if the quality is right.

Love the 208GT4 - I'm actually writing a book about v8 ferraris at the moment, and have a section about 208s still to write. Might try to get in touch for a chat about it

Ablogtowatch has a review: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/autodrom...-watch-review/

Anyone here have one by now?

I have the Elford limited edition. Now sold out. I love it. Great value, great looks, very wearable, and a quartz is very useful with a box full of automatic chronos and no winder! Plus I've met Bradley, and he's one of us. Or worse!

Master
    Saw these at Page & Cooper's bash at Tim Everest's place in February. Bradley is a super chap, a huge enthusiast for anything with a mainspring or an engine. There's a lousy iPhone pic on the review of the event I wrote for Worn & Wound:

http://wornandwound.com/2014/03/04/s...mothy-everest/

Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Saw these at Page & Cooper's bash at Tim Everest's place in February. Bradley is a super chap, a huge enthusiast for anything with a mainspring or an engine. There's a lousy iPhone pic on the review of the event I wrote for Worn & Wound:

http://wornandwound.com/2014/03/04/s...mothy-everest/
    Thanks for the link - I must admit that I'd missed it the first time around.

A table shot of the Autodromo goodies:

Autodromo watches display at Timothy Everest with Page and Cooper by Noodlefish, on Flickr

A rubbish iPhone shot of the Prototipo. Not unimpressive.

Autodromo Prototipo by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Thanks for the link - I must admit that I'd missed it the first time around.

A table shot of the Autodromo goodies:

Autodromo watches display at Timothy Everest with Page and Cooper by Noodlefish, on Flickr

A rubbish iPhone shot of the Prototipo. Not unimpressive.

Autodromo Prototipo by Noodlefish, on Flickr
    Better pictures - thank goodness one of us knew what we were doing. I blame my lousy shots on not drinking.

Journeyman
    These look fantastic, and I'm intrigued about the movement. I've got a quartz chrono that doesn't sweep or instantly reset, and it drives me crazy. This sounds like a much better compromise between grab and go convenience and a feel of mechanical heritage.

Quite a few already. Just found out they are US-based which means additional import charges unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Quite a few already. Just found out they are US-based which means additional import charges unfortunately.
    There is a UK AD - Page and Cooper

A friend of mine was wearing one at Le Mans, here with my Exlorer 2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    A friend of mine was wearing one at Le Mans, here with my Exlorer 2
    Looks like a toy.

Suppose you can get away with these at a Motorsport event, but that's about it IMHO.

Craftsman
    Attractive designs but wouldn't buy one. I could see the appeal to someone who likes a vintage heuer or the like but doesn't want the bother.

I can't help but feel a quartz watch, which references Motorsport and claims to be inspired by it, is at odds with itself.

Perhaps suitable for a Tesla owner but if you love the essence of motor vehicles, a mechanical watch seems appropriate.

No doubt people will disagree but it just doesn't sit comfortably with me. As for the style, the Steinhart Racetimer captures the vibe of 70s Motorsport better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Looks like a toy.
    Strange, but every time I see a Rolex, I find myself double-taking, just to make sure it's not a Toy Watch, or some other boring clone.

Horses for courses, I suppose.
    Last edited by Broussard; 22nd June 2014 at 21:39.

Banned
    Strange, but every time I see a Rolex, I find myself double-taking, just to make sure it's not a Toy Watch, or some other boring clone.

Horses for course, I suppose.
    Why does Rolex have to feature in every opposing statement made?

The watch to which I referred does look like a toy, not a clone of a watch, a thing children play with.

Different doesn't always work.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Why does Rolex have to feature in every opposing statement made?

The watch to which I referred does look like a toy, not a clone of a watch, a thing children play with.

Different doesn't always work.
    It doesn't. To me (and I *believe* we're still allowed our own opinions here, but I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm wrong), the Explorer II looks like the toy. Ironic. Probably.

Banned
    It doesn't. To me (and I *believe* we're still allowed our own opinions here, but I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm wrong), the Explorer II looks like the toy. Ironic. Probably.
    OK, I'll try to remember about the Explorer II when I'm reading threads on other watches. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    I can't help but feel a quartz watch, which references Motorsport and claims to be inspired by it, is at odds with itself.

Perhaps suitable for a Tesla owner but if you love the essence of motor vehicles, a mechanical watch seems appropriate.

No doubt people will disagree but it just doesn't sit comfortably with me. As for the style, the Steinhart Racetimer captures the vibe of 70s Motorsport better for me.
    I am inclined to agree its a bit strange they chose to use a quartz movement rather than even a Seiko or Miyota automatic movement though the sweep second may make it appear a little better on the eye.

I agree with Burnsey too regarding the overall design of the watch other than the duel colour one further down the thread I don't think its quite made it in its attempt to get the vintage motorsport look and also I would have thought the likes of Tag etc have already cornered much of that market. The Steinhart is a decent enough watch but I am not sure in the motor world circles it would get you much of a rep turning up with one on your wrist.

A nice idea but it just seems a bit of a one off not to be seen or used again kind of watch.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I am inclined to agree its a bit strange they chose to use a quartz movement rather than even a Seiko or Miyota automatic movement though the sweep second may make it appear a little better on the eye.
    I think that was the idea. Am not sure Seiko or Miyota make any automatic chronos, at least none that wouldn't cost the earth. The watch has to be a chronograph, and aside from "going Chinese", which comes with its own limitations, this Seiko mecha-quartz is probably the best option.
    The Steinhart is a decent enough watch but I am not sure in the motor world circles it would get you much of a rep turning up with one on your wrist.
    It is also enormous (take a look). Motorsport types can be sniffy enough as it is, turn up to a "meet" with one of those dragging your arm down and there'll be sniggers!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    I do like the look of the prototipo

And the movement is good for occasional rotation through the collection. Good to see a few owners on here to

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-week-...dromo-stradale

I have to say some of these Autodromos are quite nice indeed. But 18mm lugs? Really?

If it was 20/22 I might be tempted...

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-week-...dromo-stradale

I have to say some of these Autodromos are quite nice indeed. But 18mm lugs? Really?

If it was 20/22 I might be tempted...
    If these had hidden lugs I'd be all over them. As they are, no.

There's a new 'Worn and Wound' video review of the Stradale models available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DCp_szXSSQ

They should have given it lugs like the Halios Puck...

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.co...hp?f=5&t=20015

I had discounted these as I don't like quartz chronographs.

What I did not realise, was that there was no running seconds dial and the chrono module was a hybrid mechanical. They are actually interesting option for an occasional chronograph.

They should have given it lugs like the Halios Puck...

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.co...hp?f=5&t=20015
    Precisely! That's a nice looking watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Precisely! That's a nice looking watch too.
    One of Halios' better models in my opinion, a great design. However at "47mm width (excluding crown)" you need big wrists....

I don't think they are too bad actually, they would appeal to me a lot more if they weren't quartz.

Craftsman
    I've seen a few of these on Hodinkee over recent months. They just don't excite me.