closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about Crossover cars?

Quote Originally Posted by holio cornolio View Post
    They do get to the point at which they don't need to be strapped in.
    I've a second child due in Nov so I'll still be fiddling with cars seats buckles for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I've a second child due in Nov so I'll still be fiddling with cars seats buckles for the next few years.
    Ah well then. Fair point. And congratulations.

What do you intend to do with it?
    Great if you can justify the space etc
    Family kids etc justify it although on the small side
    The mini s has no space whatsoever so maybe you need a bigger mini
    Do you take regular trips?
    Fully loaded?

Louis, you're right I need a bit bigger Mini, although I will change brands. Loved driving the mini on twisty roads when I was single and the harsh ride and no storage space didn't bother me. After driving the Hyundai I can appreciate the better ride, more space and creature comforts. Don't need anything that big so will look at compacts like the new Fiesta.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    What do you intend to do with it?
    Great if you can justify the space etc
    Family kids etc justify it although on the small side
    The mini s has no space whatsoever so maybe you need a bigger mini
    Do you take regular trips?
    Fully loaded?

Master
    I saw a Kia on fire on the A1 recently, it looked a fairly new one too.

I agree with an earlier poster - Estate cars really are the way forward, particularly for a family. Benefit of decent useable space without the inconvenience of the Chelsea Tractor tax.

Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    ... decent useable space without the inconvenience of the Chelsea Tractor tax.
    Ah yes, that monstrous £130 a year, 135g of CO2, 54mpg of the sportage...

The question wasn't about Chelsea Tractors (Range Rovers, BMW X5s, Audi Q7 etc) but crossover cars that combine the merits of a hatch or saloon but more practical for those getting children's car seats in and out etc.

Just buy a couple of extra car seats.....
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

The question wasn't about Chelsea Tractors (Range Rovers, BMW X5s, Audi Q7 etc) but crossover cars that combine the merits of a hatch or saloon but more practical for those getting children's car seats in and out etc.
    That a real 54,3mpg? I've only ever had 2 cars that came even close to getting the claimed mpg. I'd be interested to know what people are really getting from their crossovers, and not the trip computer figure. We all know trip computers lie!
    Despite my first post, I really have no axe to grind here. I don't see the practical arguments for a crossover, over any other category of car. There are more practical / spacious / economical / comfortable options in every other class, but none that looks like a crossover. I'd like to be the first to say, it's ok to choose your car because of how it looks. I have all sorts of arguments for choosing a 3 series, and some are quite compelling, but mainly, I really like how it looks. Some people don't, that's ok, it's not their car. Same should go for whatever you choose.
    Trite and self satisfied I know, but I can't be the only one thinking that can I?

What do you think about Crossover cars?

That a real 54,3mpg? I've only ever had 2 cars that came even close to getting the claimed mpg. I'd be interested to know what people are really getting from their crossovers, and not the trip computer figure. We all know trip computers lie!
    Despite my first post, I really have no axe to grind here. I don't see the practical arguments for a crossover, over any other category of car. There are more practical / spacious / economical / comfortable options in every other class, but none that looks like a crossover. I'd like to be the first to say, it's ok to choose your car because of how it looks. I have all sorts of arguments for choosing a 3 series, and some are quite compelling, but mainly, I really like how it looks. Some people don't, that's ok, it's not their car. Same should go for whatever you choose.
    Trite and self satisfied I know, but I can't be the only one thinking that can I?
    Or the second person to say it, depending on your viewpoint.
    Last edited by holio cornolio; 9th June 2014 at 13:27. Reason: typo

There are more practical / spacious / economical / comfortable options in every other class, but none that looks like a crossover
    What do you think a crossover is? There seem to be quite a few different opinions on what makes a car a crossover. Does it help if you think of it as a tall hatchback? After all, the lines are blurring between mini mpv / hatchback / small SUV all the time and with modern cars it's quite difficult to pigeonhole them.

The reason folks seem to like cars like the qashqai - the first really successful mainstream 'crossover' - is for practicality, comfort and the way they look.

Can an estate car carry more? Most likely
    Is a landie better over the mud? Of course
    Does a sports saloon give a better drive? Ja!
    Is a small hatch better on fuel? mais naturellement

Does a crossover like the Qashqai or Sportage do all of those things quite well? Absolutely. Throw in some Peter Schreyer styling and a seven year warranty, and it's a decent family ownership proposition.

What do you think about Crossover cars?

What do you think a crossover is? There seem to be quite a few different opinions on what makes a car a crossover. Does it help if you think of it as a tall hatchback? After all, the lines are blurring between mini mpv / hatchback / small SUV all the time and with modern cars it's quite difficult to pigeonhole them.

The reason folks seem to like cars like the qashqai - the first really successful mainstream 'crossover' - is for practicality, comfort and the way they look.

Can an estate car carry more? Most likely
    Is a landie better over the mud? Of course
    Does a sports saloon give a better drive? Ja!
    Is a small hatch better on fuel? mais naturellement

Does a crossover like the Qashqai or Sportage do all of those things quite well? Absolutely. Throw in some Peter Schreyer styling and a seven year warranty, and it's a decent family ownership proposition.
    Yes exactly. I think we are in agreement. I'm assuming that I think a crossover is the same thing as you do. The qashqai and sportage have been referenced enough times in the thread to remove any significant doubts I had about my interpretation of the category. Just to be clear, when I see these cars I think of a 4x4... But without the off-road ability ( :-) )
    For the record, my last car was a seat altea. That was a tall hatchback, it was not a crossover.
    Last edited by holio cornolio; 9th June 2014 at 16:53. Reason: additional bollocks

I always thought an allroad was a crossover, and a qashqai a soft roader?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I always thought an allroad was a crossover, and a qashqai a soft roader?
    Probably thinking of the crossroader.

Master
    I always thought crossover were the slightly raised AWD estates like the Audi A6 allroad Quattro.

Master

Sorry, my reference was estate cars having equivalent space to a Chelsea tractor less the tax implication. It wasn't a criticism of the Kia.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Louis, you're right I need a bit bigger Mini, although I will change brands. Loved driving the mini on twisty roads when I was single and the harsh ride and no storage space didn't bother me. After driving the Hyundai I can appreciate the better ride, more space and creature comforts. Don't need anything that big so will look at compacts like the new Fiesta.
    Look at scoda yeti as well
    Plus mini countryman?
    Need huge spaces as well so i look at the new subaru forester atm