closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just can't fall in love with the current Explorer II. Anyone else?

Master

Just can't fall in love with the current Explorer II. Anyone else?

I've always quite liked the old Explorer II, particularly the black faced one. I just felt it could do with being a fraction bigger. And I absolutely love the old 'McQueen Explorer II' with the orange GMT hand.

So when Rolex announced the new Explorer II, slightly bigger with the orange hand, I thought 'That's it, that's my dream watch right there!' I pored over the photos and really really liked it.

I've tried one on a couple of times now, tried one on again 1/2 hour ago whilst in town. But in the flesh, I just can't feel the love for it and I honestly don't know why!

Anyone else feel the same, or indeed, saw it and loved it?

Nope, wearing mine now.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    No the complete opposite.

Just bought one a few weeks ago and to me the size and comfort made it better than the Sub which felt too small for me.

I may have made my choice because i wanted a white face for the collection and also that i got a great discount from a Rolex AD.

Although i agree that sometimes when you try watches on they just don't do it for you.

I had a white dial version for a while and loved it!

I moved it out when I decided to sell off the expensive pieces, but it is missed.

love the orange hand, love the bezel ...and also like the OP thought it would be in my collection

however on my wrist its just that bit too big so I never went for it..... had a chance to where the Ceramic LV for an hour the other day over lunch with a fellow TZ-er and that fitted really well...so that extra 2mm makes a big difference !

Master
    Blog Entries
    I also lusted after the black one....until I saw it and tried it on....

Tried on the Polar and was hooked!!! Now one of my faves!

Bought the black one, but then just never wore it.
    Sold it within about 2 weeks of buying it.
    I could never put my finger on what it was, but my SubC stayed on my wrist instead.

Blog Entries
    Perfect watch for me, and my daily wearer. Think I've had it for about a year now and it's a keeper.

Yes im with you. I was looking forward to it excitedly when it was initially launched but after seeing it in the flesh i cant get excited about it (but i feel the same about the ceramic subs etc. with the fatter lugs). So i went for the previous version, for me its in better proportion and fits nicely on my 7inch wrists. Gratuitous photo below :)

Untitled by AndyR2011, on Flickr

I have the polar and absolutely love it

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I have the polar and absolutely love it

Of the two, I prefer the white version.

The hands on the previous are too thin for my liking.

Craftsman
    I prefer the older version. It's an interesting watch - it really polarises opinions.

That's interesting. I had the same reaction with the vintage version (didn't quite work for me despite wanting to try one on for ages), but the new one is currently my favourite rolex (with the black dial). It even made me sell my ceramic GMT II because the latter just couldn't compete with it.

I think what I don't like about the older one is the hands and the fact that it's not a real GMT watch. But the new one is a great second time zone watch with perfect design/size.

Master
    It's just too big and I don't like the fat minute hand. But then again, I don't like any of the current line up.

Polar 16570 for me. If I could ask for anything, I'd ask for the Explorer II writing on the dial to be same colour as GMT hand.

I think the Polar version looks lovely.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post

Polar 16570 for me. If I could ask for anything, I'd ask for the Explorer II writing on the dial to be same colour as GMT hand.
    That's interesting because that is one of the changes with the new one (and does look great!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcantwin View Post

I moved it out when I decided to sell off the expensive pieces, but it is missed.
    Quite like that on the orange Nato.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Of the two, I prefer the white version.

The hands on the previous are too thin for my liking.
    You see, I think it's the blocky heavy looking hands that spoil the new one for me.

But I'll tell you what I really like on the new one that the old one doesn't have, and that is the thin black line on the bezel that encircles the crystal.

Funny how the tinniest details can make such a difference.

Craftsman
    I think it's a very photogenic watch, but on the wrist is a different story.
    The size and proportions just felt off to me. The 40mm slimmer case of the previous gen Explorer II's feels much better IMO.
    Although I do love the splash of colour with the orange hand. If they made it with the 40mm case and orange hand, that would be lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    I think it's a very photogenic watch, but on the wrist is a different story.
    ^^^ exactly this

Prefer it to the previous iteration, which is unusual for me with Rolex for the last few years.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

have a black bigger version and love it as its more matt black dial than glossy .

but if I was to choose one id still buy a gmtc black or blue black instead

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've always quite liked the old Explorer II, particularly the black faced one. >>>>>>But in the flesh, I just can't feel the love for it and I honestly don't know why!

The flesh models aren't as nice as the steel versions, try another dealer perhaps?

I find it is my most comfortable watch and in fact am going to put it on right now. Been wearing the DSSD for a week and my arm needs a rest

IMO previous version much better balance between hand sizes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've always quite liked the old Explorer II, particularly the black faced one. I just felt it could do with being a fraction bigger. And I absolutely love the old 'McQueen Explorer II' with the orange GMT hand.

So when Rolex announced the new Explorer II, slightly bigger with the orange hand, I thought 'That's it, that's my dream watch right there!' I pored over the photos and really really liked it.

I've tried one on a couple of times now, tried one on again 1/2 hour ago whilst in town. But in the flesh, I just can't feel the love for it and I honestly don't know why!

Anyone else feel the same, or indeed, saw it and loved it?

Couldn't agree more ,when i tried on the Explorer 2 i felt the same . Felt the watch should have been a touch bigger and taller, for that money the
    omega Aqua Terra Anual Calendar 43mm interests me more.

I tried one on a few months ago and somehow the larger case and fatter hands reminded me of the swatch 'irony' range - something about the proportions is odd. I've had an old style GMT and exp II in the past and found the extra hand irritating - my eye spots the extra hand and for a split second I'm 'is it 10.30 or - what's that other hand for?' - just messed up the easy legibility for me. Not been tempted to buy another GMT watch since.

I persoanlly prefer the older model.I used to own the 40mm version witha white dial. Perhaps you should try one of these.

Master
    When i first tried mine, i was very dissapointed, it didnt feel worth the price tag. When i found one at a more sensible price, i tried it again and now i love mine.

It is the black one and is at the edge of my normal preference of size but actually wears really nice for me. I was suprised to find it wasnt more popular but i suppose, the previous iteration had such a long following, it was hard to beat in many peoples eyes

Craftsman
    older model much nicer, the new model looks to toy like, tried on a new model twice now, and its not for me.

No love mine
    I sold my panerai to fund the purchase of my black faced exp 2 and it's definetly a keeper for me
    Perfect size and really comfy

The WF flash sale had them at 4k with B&P, both colours... I was sorely tempted but they look slightly cartoonish to me in pictures, I think the hands and markers are perhaps too large, but this is of course what you'd want if using it as a real tool watch! I have never put one on and probably should I suppose, just to see...

Had the original polar and never wore it. If I was to choose, it'd be the black one as it is reminiscent of the old 1655 I suppose. But you're half way to a real 1655 at that point...

No love here.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Prefer it to the previous iteration...
    I agree, Andy.

Larger size is what sold me on it.

Much prefer the newer 42mm version, huge improvement IMHO.

I don't think the current model is nearly as well proportioned as the old model. Worth looking at the Prodigal Guide video on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    I don't think the current model is nearly as well proportioned as the old model. Worth looking at the Prodigal Guide video on this subject.

Yup I totally agree with Straight Six the new Explorer ii is a bloater. Much prefer the previous models proportions.

Journeyman
    Too big on the wrist. Hands too thick. Maxi dial too maxi and too white.
    In my view the best watches are subtle. It is about discovering the little intricacies that make you fall in love. With this watch it is the obvious that attracts you to it. When you look for the intricacies they are not there.

It is just too......

I had the same problem, OP. I find the hands too thick and also think the proportion seems odd.. but the size is a definite improvement.

The 40mm version is a really classy number, but it does wear quite small. Really versatile too.

Craftsman
    It's the maxi-dial that does it for me, it just makes the watch feel far too cramped.

I had a new 16570 white dial and never bonded with it. It was my first Rolex and it left me cold. Then I tried the Sub 14060 and it was amazing, loved it! I am picking up the newer Sub C tomorrow! Not really on topic or an answer! ; )

James
    Last edited by champagne_james; 26th February 2014 at 23:15.

For me, it has to be the older (16570) model.

The newer (216570) watch feels to me is if they made the case bigger, but didn't bother getting the rest of the watch in proportion - it almost looks like a photograph that has been stretched and no longer looks quite right.

One of those watches that I wanted to love and then buy....but each time I put one on there was just something that I couldn't put my finger on that stopped me from doing that.

Never say never though....

Apprentice
    Gotta say that I love the explorer 2 in general but I think 90% of that is down to the orange hand!

Nice watch overall.....but I just don't like the bezel.

Banned
    Didn't like the bezel on the new exp2 for me as well, I would rather go for the GMT or sub at similar price range

I tried one on recently and can't get it out of my head. Much preferred the black dial. I sense an impending purchase, must resist....

Master
    Had the white or 'polar' version, & now currently own the black face. In all honesty I do miss the white face's impact, but I've grown to love the black faced version. It's more of an all rounder IMO. Can't see the problem with the hands TBH, much more legible and 'toolish' & couldn't agree more with the negative comments 'cartoonish' appearance....but........I love it.
    Size for me is perfect, 7-1/4 inch wrist, but still feels 'slightly' underwhelming if I've just swapped over from my Breitling SO44, a hefty beast for sure. I am sadly aware that in recent years for me 40mm is just too small for me. I would love to see a GMTIIc/Sub available in 42mm, but that 'aint going to happen in the forseeable future. I've got used to 42mm plus watches and I won't be going back to 40mm, shame really, for me. So, in the meantime, the 42 Explorer fits the bill admirably & I won't be selling this piece anytime soon, 'cause it's a keeper. (Really.)

I prefer the orange hand on the new version by a country mile but the growth in size means that it will never fit me as well as the old one (not that I have the spare cash to indulge, in any case).

As a matter of interest, has anybody ever managed to retro-fit the Orange hand to the older model?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    As a matter of interest, has anybody ever managed to retro-fit the Orange hand to the older model?
    I'm pretty sure it would look comically disproportional on the older case, it would be madness to go to the effort of trying. Then again, this is the internet, there's bound to be someone who will try it at and share photos at some point :)

On another note, here's a video from someone who removed the cyclops from his black version

Craftsman
    I tried both versions on today, white & black. I always thought I'd prefer the white but did prefer the black face on the wrist.