closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sixth car beckons - FINAL UPDATE AT #50

Banned
    Blog Entries

A sixth car beckons - FINAL UPDATE AT #50

So, wife and I have between us an E250cdi, two MX5s (one in UK, one in France), a Clio, and a 205 (in France). Daughter number one is hopefully going to pass her test on Wednesday, which takes the Clio out of the equation, so we need another city car. Anyone got experience of the VW Up? This appeals
    http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/up-n...rior/1243/1290
    Other suggestions will be considered.
    Thanks
    S
    Last edited by Skyman; 22nd March 2014 at 19:06.

Obviously there's the a Seat Mii and Skoda Citigo which are the same car but cheaper. Then there's the Aygo, 107, C1 which are great little cars and my eldest daughter has the new ford Ka which she's really pleased with.

Banned
    Aston Martin Cygnet.

Master
    We test drove the Up and were amazed at the room and nippiness. We ended up with a Polo for her indoors which she loves.
    mike

I have an extended family member with a Toyota iQ

I did the purchase for them and took them to test drive all the small, city, cars. The iQ got to vote for the way it drove, build quality and the fact it felt funky without being pointless and design over function.

The Aston Cygnet is simply a bodykitted, full leather trimmed Toyota iQ.

Craftsman

high up!

We have had a High up! for 18 months. 12,000 faultless miles so far. Would highly recommend the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Aston Martin Cygnet.
    Pointless.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    Pointless.
    Values are low now so why not have a bit of fun? They have a certain joie de vivre about them that is quite appealing. Besides, it's the one city car that might actually appreciate in value in time (not that I am buying them all up for my retirement fund but in ten years compare a cygnet and iq. Only one will be worth more than a bicycle)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Values are low now so why not have a bit of fun? They have a certain joie de vivre about them that is quite appealing. Besides, it's the one city car that might actually appreciate in value in time (not that I am buying them all up for my retirement fund but in ten years compare a cygnet and iq. Only one will be worth more than a bicycle)
    I'd hardly call £20k low value.

OP, what about the Seat Mii or Skoda CitiGo? Same cars underneath but without the VW pricetag.
    Edit: Just seen the 1st reply, so this is redundant. However, I'd opt for one of these long before I looked at the Aygo/107/C1 as options. They're known for their clutch failures.
    Last edited by Pints; 9th February 2014 at 06:20.

The UP is a good city car, but dependent on her age/insurance a polo is a better all round option.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The UP is a good city car, but dependent on her age/insurance a polo is a better all round option.
    To clarify, this will be the replacement runaround for us the parents. Current thinking is an Up or indeed the Polo as you suggest. It will need to be able to take two small to midsize dogs in the back, for short journeys. I checked out both cars today, and either has sufficient space.

We've been looking at small cars recently. We used to have two medium-sized cars but think we'll move to something big for me and something small for the wife. We don't like the drive of the 107/Yaris variants and prefer the look/feel of the Skoda Citigo 'Sport' over the Up (although quite how it can call itself 'Sport' is beyond me. Having said that, she wants to test drive a Fiesta next week and I suspect that's what we'll end up with unless it drives badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    To clarify, this will be the replacement runaround for us the parents. Current thinking is an Up or indeed the Polo as you suggest. It will need to be able to take two small to midsize dogs in the back, for short journeys. I checked out both cars today, and either has sufficient space.
    I was looking forward to the UP GT, and was going to buy one as a company car - but no release put paid to that :(. It would have been v cheap tax wise over here, with fuel and car tax, at 1 litre it hits about an £800 taxation for both the car tax and again for the fuel allowance - turbo 1 litres will play an important role in the next few years - 125-175bhp will be easily possible too :)

Master
    The current Polo is the first VW design in years that's appealing to me.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Fiat 500 is by far the best drive of all the city cars and very cheap to run.

I really like my Audi A1. Have driven a Polo too and it's a significant upgrade.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been in an Up all weekend, apprciating its a city car, the lack of soundproofing around the wheel arches/ in the doors made it very wearing on a motorway, and very noisy on roads with wet twigs (being picked up and bouncing around the arches...) i know its not the last word in refinement, but felt v much like the badge had been purchased, and not a lot else.

Toyota Aygo much better imho, and its still noisy!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    but it has to be one of the least appealing cars I've ever seen on the road - there is nothing worse than seeing a male driving one.

Craftsman
    VW Up:
    You can buy a market localised version in Lancashire - the Eh Up
    Or one powered by an old pocket watch movement - the Wind Up
    And one with a fold out bed - the...

Master
    but it has to be one of the least appealing cars I've ever seen on the road - there is nothing worse than seeing a male driving one.
    Not sure I ever have.

But then again, not living in London, I can't quite imagine ever going that small. Polo maybe, but smaller than that? You can always use a bit of space (IMHO of course). My instinct would always be to use the budget for a lower specced/older Golf/A3 size hatchback.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    I have an extended family member with a Toyota iQ

I did the purchase for them and took them to test drive all the small, city, cars. The iQ got to vote for the way it drove, build quality and the fact it felt funky without being pointless and design over function.

The Aston Cygnet is simply a bodykitted, full leather trimmed Toyota iQ.
    It is, but I test drove one and the smell of the leather was enough to nearly make me hand over the cash! It's every bit an Aston in terms of the workmanship they put in themselves. Based on the wonderful iQ (I had one for a year) and it made for a much less laughable package than I could have ever imagined

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    It is, but I test drove one and the smell of the leather was enough to nearly make me hand over the cash! It's every bit an Aston in terms of the workmanship they put in themselves. Based on the wonderful iQ (I had one for a year) and it made for a much less laughable package than I could have ever imagined
    Stick a turbo on it, and I'm sure it would be an even better package :)

Master
    Stick a turbo on it, and I'm sure it would be an even better package :)
    Theres a supercharger kit available in Japan... I met the guy at Goodwood and his only word was "Supercharger" lol.pricey and not much power gain but I'd have one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I really like my Audi A1. Have driven a Polo too and it's a significant upgrade.
    To the polo?

Its the same chassis, suspension, steering, gearbox and engine but admittedly has a nicer interior. Drives identical though!

To the polo?

Its the same chassis, suspension, steering, gearbox and engine but admittedly has a nicer interior. Drives identical though!
    Yup i know all this but I drove a Polo and found it sluggish in the extreme plus the steering was oddly light and disengaged by comparison to the A1.

Completely agree!

Blog Entries
    I appreciate your opinion, A man driving a beetle or a BMW mini has the same effect on me!

A little story for you all.

When I went to the Up launch in alicante (nov 2011 iirc) we drove the 107, aygo, fox, fiat 500 and the up itself. At the end of the launch, we had to do a questionnaire on which was best to drive.

The fiat 500 won..... Not overall (the up won of course! Enough sycophantic votes would see to that) but BEST to DRIVE!

Yup i know all this but I drove a Polo and found it sluggish in the extreme plus the steering was oddly light and disengaged by comparison to the A1.
    I much prefer the A1 - but the difference are quite startling, even between the same basic model with a different suspension set up will feel like a different car to drive. The polo gti version was a better, and quite different, drive than the 185bhp A1 for example - but I'd choose the A1 for the interior.

Banned
    What about a Fiesta ST2? you could chop in one of the others and just have that - i hear its an absolute hoot to drive!

Blog Entries
    Different tyre size/steering wheel size perhaps?

Different tyre size/steering wheel size perhaps?
    Could be but I don't think so. Doesn't account for the slowness of the Polo. Felt like it didn't have the turbo!

Blog Entries
    Could be but I don't think so. Doesn't account for the slowness of the Polo. Felt like it didn't have the turbo!
    Which engine was it that you drove in both models???!!

I appreciate your opinion, A man driving a beetle or a BMW mini has the same effect on me!

A little story for you all.

When I went to the Up launch in alicante (nov 2011 iirc) we drove the 107, aygo, fox, fiat 500 and the up itself. At the end of the launch, we had to do a questionnaire on which was best to drive.

The fiat 500 won..... Not overall (the up won of course! Enough sycophantic votes would see to that) but BEST to DRIVE!
    What was the engine comparison. The 500's are generally more powerful. The up needs 100+ bhp. Shame. I've been in a friends 155bhp Fiat 500 - it didn't feel right though ;)

Journeyman
    I've got a Disco 4 for lugging the kids around but everyday drive a Toyota IQ to work and back (50 miles round trip) as it's only me in the car. I've had it a year and I really like it. I easily get bored with my cars and change them when the wind changes direction, but I'm always happy jumping into this and have no plans to change. My son on the other hand thinks it's the most embarrassing car on the planet! He's 13 and I keep telling him he can learn to drive in it when he's 17

My IQ's a 60 plate bought for £5.5k a year ago, from a main Toyota dealer. Free road tax, 3 years warranty left (60 plate onwards has 5year/100,000 mile warranty) and it came with 2 years free servicing at the time. Does 50MPG. Cheap motoring, can't argue with that!

Jon

& the IQ looks different too.

I think I'd prefer an UP though - but I'd need to drive them back to back.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the compendium of views, guys. I have managed to divert the wife on a bit of a tangent, and we are test driving an ST Fiesta tomorrow. Should be fun.
    Last edited by Skyman; 10th February 2014 at 19:38.

Fantastic, let me know what it is like. They look fairly interesting proposition, and there are some good deals too.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic, let me know what it is like. They look fairly interesting proposition, and there are some good deals too.
    Based on the reviews of the usual candidates (Autocar, PH and TG) I have to say I have quite high expectations. Hopefully it will handle like my old 197 Clio Cup, but due to the turbo on the Ford, it will be without the frustratingly gutless bottom-end of the Renault.
    The UK-based MX5 might have to go, but hey ho.
    Last edited by Skyman; 10th February 2014 at 20:50.

Master
    Depends what you are looking for. If safety is a primary feature and a great car to drive with sensible insurance, the Fiesta takes some beating. Only issue is it is a little longer than the true super-minis if that matters.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Depends what you are looking for. If safety is a primary feature and a great car to drive with sensible insurance, the Fiesta takes some beating. Only issue is it is a little longer than the true super-minis if that matters.
    Length has never been a problem for the wife.

+1 ...misses is on her second , this time albeit a fancier soft top version ......fuel economy excellent , insurance excellent , toys in the car (Bluetooth , texting etc ) excellent .....quirkiness and style excellent

Don't buy any other city car ......other than maybe an A1 !!!

Journeyman
    Thanks for the compendium of views, guys. I have managed to divert the wife on a bit of a tangent, and we are test driving an ST Fiesta tomorrow. Should be fun.
    Nice! Really like those, meant to be good to drive.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I can report that the ST is indeed a very capable hot hatch indeed. The positive reviews it has received (I am thinking the Autocar and PH ones in particular) are in my opinion a good reflection of the real car. I enjoyed today's test drive a great deal......reminded me of a more compact version of my old Focus RS (last 300hp version, not the original mark I), and in many ways it was better for being that bit smaller and less powerful, with little evidence of torque steer. The suspension is firm, but certainly not too harsh for daily pottering.
    I have so far managed to achieve £1,075 off the list price of a basic spec ST2 (plus metallic and style pack only) which is £18,765 Otr. I think I need to improve upon this to make the deal attractive to me.....say a net price closer to £16,750 or so. Plus the Mounttune of course!
    Watch this space.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/fiesta-st
    http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests...?c=125&i=27306

I'm in a hotel in London, otherwise I'd have access to one of the discount sites that had a good deal on the Fiesta - I'll try and find it.

The other option I noted was the new mini, which seems to get fantastic reviews at the minute- less power, but a lot more mpg and a turbo charged triple - I like triples :)

Master
    We were looking for a small car for round town/work runs just before Christmas... Ended up going for the Vauxhall Adam.

Not many like it but got to say... It's a good little car! Very well equipped, comes with DAB, air con, Bluetooth etc as standard. Loving the heated steering wheel and touchscreen infotainment. Can use sat nav from your iphone, watch videos on it etc.

I looked at the Up after and it felt so plain and boring.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm in a hotel in London, otherwise I'd have access to one of the discount sites that had a good deal on the Fiesta - I'll try and find it.

The other option I noted was the new mini, which seems to get fantastic reviews at the minute- less power, but a lot more mpg and a turbo charged triple - I like triples :)
    The Autoebid site suggests a maximum price of c. £16,500, but I have no experience of it. I do have a friend in the trade who is going to see what he can do.
    I am not a Mini fan tbh (though I have had three to date), but the S1 previewed today looks a good prospect but will be costly.

Drive the deal, was the site - very good discounts, or at least comparable to some of the best deals at a Ford dealer at the minute.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, that didn't go quite as originally planned. Just ordered an A45AMG for October delivery. The fleet will need a bit of juggling in the meantime.

Lol

love it - great cars though, I was in one in London and absolutely loved it. I'd have preferred to have it over here and see how well it really goes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, that didn't go quite as originally planned. Just ordered an A45AMG for October delivery. The fleet will need a bit of juggling in the meantime.
    Scratch that. I could not wait until Autumn, and besides I wanted top off action, so today this was added to the fleet.

Sensible? No. Fun? Bloody right.