closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Daytona alternative?

Master

Daytona alternative?

I'm gearing up to buy a Daytona before Christmas as a keeper to mark our first baby. At that kind of price point , circa 6.5k what else should I consider .

Must be a classic design and something that will stand the test of time, as per my signature I already have a sub and an iwc Portuguese

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Must be a classic design and something that will stand the test of time,
    The Seagull 1963 does all in a practical size ánd you will not likely see another one on the wrist unlike the Daytona or Portugese.

Master
    I'm gearing up to buy a Daytona before Christmas as a keeper to mark our first baby. At that kind of price point , circa 6.5k what else should I consider .

Must be a classic design and something that will stand the test of time, as per my signature I already have a sub and an iwc Portuguese
    I think the most natural, if not equal priced, alternatives to the Daytona are the Speedy Pro and some version of Navitimer. Those three are IMO by far the most iconic chronographs available. With that said, the list of in house movement chronographs that can be purchased for $10,000 isn't very long. I'm sure someone will come in and mention the TAG chronograph as an example, but I wouldn't consider it.

Banned
    I'd hunt for the best priced VC Oversea's, standard or chrono. Most versatile (read easy to keep) high end watch I ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I'd hunt for the best priced VC Oversea's, standard or chrono. Most versatile (read easy to keep) high end watch I ever owned.
    I would agree with the above mate, gorgeous watch with a stunning bracelet and 1 of the trinity(if you're into all that)

Master
    Blog Entries
    This!

Craftsman
    Personally, I'd be strongly tempted to just go for the Daytona. It's a classic piece and won't age too much IMO.

However, the Zenith El Primero range is worth considering, and as mentioned the Navitimer also has a timeless appeal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    This!
    Nice,but my striking tenth is nicer :)

Doesn't have to be a chrono chaps

See you already have a jlc mcc but how about a reverso?

Master
    Assuming your budget was £ and not € – then something from this lot.
    Both Jocke and learningtofly have a model each that's within the list.

And whilst it may be deemed a bit left-field in the company of the brands being mentioned and their price points, how about the elegant and beautiful Grand Seiko Snowflake?

Used AP royal oak chrono is what I went for. Cracking watch and timeless design IMO but does scratch quite easily so if it's for daily wear I would choose something else.

Just put mine in for a service and can't wait for it to come back!

Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post
    Used AP royal oak chrono is what I went for. Cracking watch and timeless design IMO but does scratch quite easily so if it's for daily wear I would choose something else.

+1 as long as you stay clear of the ROO!
    BUT, you mentionned the Dayto, because you are obviously biased and you like the watch, so go for it and don't look back...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post

for £6.5k?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I was about to say there is no alternative - however, this is a very good example of what is available and a top choice. At the cheaper end I'd also take an El Primero Flyback.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Have a wtb up so if anyone comes across one fs let me know

for £6.5k?
    Should be able to find one for 7k I reckon, tad over budget but what's 500quid between friends;-)

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

There is no alternative! If it is a Daytona you fancy, go with it. Nothing else will measure up. Best of luck

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The Seagull 1963 does all in a practical size ánd you will not likely see another one on the wrist unlike the Daytona or Portugese.
    Do you have to do this on every thread that starts off with Rolex. The watch is clearly for commemorative purposes, a cheap chinese beater is not what's required or wanted as his child's heirloom.
    Last edited by phil h; 19th October 2013 at 12:24.

I can't get over how pretty, balanced and downright perfect this one is and its still in stock at Silvermans.

If i won the lottery there still isn't another chronograph i'd choose over it.

Interested in this thread as my Daytona will be going up for sale and I want to replace it with probably another stainless steel 'sports' chrono.

VC Overseas was what I came up with as well. It's either that or the a Royal Oak but that feels a little bit clichéd. Is there a 'Hublot' feeling about the ROO on the forum..? How are they thought of/perceived? Yes it matters :)

Had a Striking 10th and didn't get on.

Other recommendations to the the OP would be Blanpain Fifty Fathoms chrono (I paid 6.7) and a Breguet Type XXI; both are fantastic and although I have them on straps they can be had on bracelets.

Other options seemed too leftfield for my tastes...

Tudor 79160 or the later 79260

[edit: 2 minutes too late - great minds etc...]

How about a tudor chronograph.. either the older 7750 varient which shares a similar case to daytona, or the newer homeplate models.

one of these and change

Try on a royal oak chrono, they are lovely pieces. The detail etc and finishing is awesome. They feel more special in my opinion. BUT they are not as tough. They scratch ALOT due to brushed finish.

The VC is arguably even rarer, I have only ever seen one in the flesh. Tried one on the other day and although lovely I just don't like the bracelet design (aesthetically) on a strap though they look superb.

I think the fifty fathoms comes under a different category. I know it's a chrono but the design is too different I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Interested in this thread as my Daytona will be going up for sale and I want to replace it with probably another stainless steel 'sports' chrono.

VC Overseas was what I came up with as well. It's either that or the a Royal Oak but that feels a little bit clichéd. Is there a 'Hublot' feeling about the ROO on the forum..? How are they thought of/perceived? Yes it matters :)

Had a Striking 10th and didn't get on.

Other recommendations to the the OP would be Blanpain Fifty Fathoms chrono (I paid 6.7) and a Breguet Type XXI; both are fantastic and although I have them on straps they can be had on bracelets.

Other options seemed too leftfield for my tastes...

Master
    Get the daytona. Best mechanical chrono movement in the world and it will be serviceable for many decades to come. Possibly centuries?

The VC chrono is a watch that looks great in pics but falls completely flat on its face live imho. Movement nothing special either.

Master
    You could always "outsmart a millionaire" and save yourself the very best part of 6.5k with a Stauer Corso.

...I jest of course

Breguet Type XXI is a cracking choice. Otherwise just get the Daytona. The dial on the Type XXI is stunning btw. I have also owned a Daytona and really liked it (although a tad small). The Type XXI and the Daytona are my favourite chronos that I have owned. The Breguet does feel higher end though in the metal primarily due to the extraordinary dial.

As suggested already, the JLC master chronograph. It is has a classic look and is one of the best value chronos out there at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Is it against forum rules to post the details? I haven't been here long enough to access SC...

Master
    Marked as sold now.

Craftsman
    JLC make some awesome chronographs if that's what you're after then look no further than this. Superior value to a Daytona.
    http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....n-martins-logo

I have just agreed to buy a Zenith 18ct chronomaster moonphase. B&P complete and recent service for less that your 6.5 budget... that is what i'd recommend. But the Daytona is money in the bank if you ever need to sell...

Daytona alternative?
    Depends on how much you really want a Daytona, there are comparable watches such as the Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph or the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronogrpah for example, although these would have to be second hand to meet the budget, but there is nothing like a Daytona IMHO.

I had the same itch 5 years back, and bought both of the alternatives mentioned above instead. And all with a cool head, they are better made, they have better finishing, they are from higher end manufacturers, both white face with date etc. etc.
    Well, 3 years ago I flipped them for what I paid for them and used the cash for a Daytona, a lower league watch, no date, blah, blah, blah, but very happy I did, and it's a keeper

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Marked as sold now.
    Also the newer 42mm version
    Last edited by rob-vicar; 21st January 2014 at 11:21.

You were right the first time around, buy the Daytona. It's a lovely classic, timeless watch

You'll never lose a penny either

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I have just agreed to buy a Zenith 18ct chronomaster moonphase. B&P complete and recent service for less that your 6.5 budget... that is what i'd recommend. But the Daytona is money in the bank if you ever need to sell...
    Had a 2004 SS version on the bracelet moonphase triple date, for such a busy dial it was really easy to read and a real quality item. Unfortunately growing up and buying a house meant we had to part company

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Its exactly the same Just don't go out in the rain

Master
    AP ROC or VCO for a few quid more.

I found the Daytona a tad small. Not sure what size watches you normally wear but just be careful as you will be the one wearing it for a good few years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    You were right the first time around, buy the Daytona. It's a lovely classic, timeless watch

You'll never lose a penny either
    The watch won't be sold , it's for a special occasion . Resale not important .

Journeyman
    I think the closer were these Zenith, but it is not an easy hunt,

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A classic and an Icon. One of the best made and finished watch cases aver created. One of the most readable dials. A free sprung balance column wheel integrated Chrono movement with 72 hours power reserve. One of the most bomb proof and reliable watches ever made. The added bonus of bullet proof residuals. Available in a huge number of detail finishes and dials.

Seriously, there is no alternative. There are other watches which make a valiant attempt to do a similar job. The Zenith Rainbow IMHO was probably the best attempt, and before the 4130 movement was probably better.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    A classic and an Icon. One of the best made and finished watch cases aver created. One of the most readable dials. A free sprung balance column wheel integrated Chrono movement with 72 hours power reserve. One of the most bomb proof and reliable watches ever made. The added bonus of bullet proof residuals. Available in a huge number of detail finishes and dials.

Seriously, there is no alternative. There are other watches which make a valiant attempt to do a similar job. The Zenith Rainbow IMHO was probably the best attempt, and before the 4130 movement was probably better.

I agree. Not just about the Daytona but any particular watch that you have coveted. The alternatives may be better but they are not what you coveted in the first place.

Buy a Daytona. With all the different models, metals, bracelets / strap the decision to buy a Daytona is only the start of the search. happy hunting.