closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: French made Heuer Chronographs

French made Heuer Chronographs

Getting to like the look of these,so I'm looking for a bit of background information about the french chronos.

So far I've only found one short blog post and a page out of an old catalogue with a few Google searches. Were they actually made by Monnin? Are the cases and movements used elsewhere (a-la Monnin 844 divers?). What movements do they use, are they auto/manual wind or both? Whats the lug size? How do they wear - I guess they look fairly big because of the lack of bezel? Anyone own one and care to share experience?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Re: French made Heuer Chronographs

europa is your man on these!

I had one and it was fairly small, 39mm or so, with 18mm lugs, possibly 19mm. It was manual wind. That's all I remember! Have you tried On The Dash website? There's a lot of information there.
    "A man of little significance"

Thanks for the reply - couldn't find much in on the dash. I take it from the fact you no longer had it that you didn't find it that special?

Banned

Try here for movement types & model numbers: http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/Maste...e_Chronographs

This table entry isn't *that* accurate, for instance, the Ref 12 is in fact Swiss Made, a common mistake, as it was listed on the same page as the French Made chronos in the Heuer catalogues.

There is no proof (AFAIK) that they were made by Monnin. They could have been, but there are no stampings to suggest so, I think it is a common misunderstanding based on loose internet chatter. Yes, the early 844 divers were made my Monnin in France, and some put 2 and 2 together to get 5, as the chronos are French made. Remember that some had 'Fab. Suiss' (or similar) on the dials too.

As for 'are they special' - well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that. Certainly, if I were to be brutal, I would say that the French made chronos are lowest on the Heuer chrono ladder. They fall within a certain price point that makes them attractive, but some don't like the unsigned movements. A mint one from a dealer will start to push c£6-700.. when you get to this kind of price point, your eyes drift towards the well worn Pasadenas etc.

Also, there was a glut of cases/movements/handsets that hit the market several years agom so there are plenty of NOS examples around - again, some don't feel comfortable with this, as they have no idea if it is a out together or an original - when I say 'put together' - I don't mean a franken, they are all pure Heuer, just assembled from parts.

They are a good fun & a good entry into Heuer chronos.

Banned

To answer your questions directly..

So far I've only found one short blog post and a page out of an old catalogue with a few Google searches.
    Try here: pics 1, 2, 3 - http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Cata.../?show=p06.jpg
    and here: all three chronos.. http://www.heuerboy.com/1979.htm

Were they actually made by Monnin?
    See Above

Are the cases and movements used elsewhere (a-la Monnin 844 divers?).
    There is evidence that some where, the movements were not signed, and were common calibers of the day.

What movements do they use, are they auto/manual wind or both?
    Manual Valjoux 7765 & 7734

Whats the lug size?
    Typically 19mm. Some may have been 20mm - I can't say for sure.

How do they wear - I guess they look fairly big because of the lack of bezel? Anyone own one and care to share experience?
    Not massive, around 38-39mm I believe.

Many thanks Stewart, will take a look at the links this evening. In the meantime I've taken the plunge and have one one the way to me, so soon be able to make up my own mind.....!

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Looking at the pictures on that catalogue page they appear to be marked 'Fabriqué [edit] Ebauche Suisse' rather than 'Made in France', as on this French made 1614 (link).

The Master Table on OnTheDash lists the 1589 under "French Made Chronographs". So, did Heuer use a variety of markings on the 1589? In particular, did they use 'Fab. Suisse'?

Thanks for any help and info...
    Last edited by PickleB; 24th October 2013 at 16:10.

Craftsman
    I like the look of them, but I'd never get one as a collection piece, as many (if not most?) are all made from part bin leftovers.
    So very few will have prove of provenance.

Until a couple of years ago you could buy a NOS case set with hands and dial for 250euros or less. Added by the fact they use unsigned 7765 movements (also from the factory), I'd always be a bit suspicious.