closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The perect G&T?

My favourites of the well-known ones are Tanqueray, Plymouth and Beefeater. The best G&T I've ever tasted was Miller's Westbourne Strength with Fever Tree Tonic (but that was 5 years ago and things may have moved on).

Generally I prefer gin that doesn't have too much of the extra stuff in it (I'm looking at you Hendricks). If you like gin with cucumber in it that's fine, but for me a proper G&T is made with London gin (or Plymouth gin) and whatever tonic you prefer.

As a slight aside, the standard Martin Miller's has cucumber in it as well as a small amount of rose petals. It tastes the way I think Hendricks should do. Any Hendricks lovers out there should give it a try.

I'll now stick my head over the parapet and say that someone I worked with in the trade years ago told me that "Bombay Sapphire is gin for vodka drinkers", and I think I agree. They waffle on about their Carterhead still saying nobody else uses it, and that's because all the botanicals are in a vessel at the top of the still that the spirit vapour passes through in order to get the gin flavour, rather than having them in the still which gives a stronger flavour. This results in a lighter, more delicate style of gin (which is fine if you like that sort of thing). I like my gin 'ginny', with plenty of flavour. They do have very clever marketing though. It was created in the late eighties by a guy who made a fortune in vodka and decided that gin was an underperforming sector that should be exploited. Some blue glass and a picture of Queen Victoria and you'd think it had been around for years.

In short, there's plenty of great gin out there, but if you fancy something different try the Millers Westbourne because it's ace

Edited to add: In answer to the OP I like 3 ice cubes and a wedge of lime. Fever Tree is great, but Schweppes will do if that's all there is. I've been meaning to try Fentimens but haven't had the chance yet.
    Last edited by twhp101; 17th October 2013 at 21:24.

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    In short, there's plenty of great gin out there, but if you fancy something different try the Millers Westbourne because it's ace
    I notice in my photos of the bottles, there are 2 Millers. Is the one you refer to either of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    Avoid the ice (dilutes the gin). Just keep the Gordon's and the tonic in the fridge and the sliced lemon or lime in the freezer.

Oh, and never, ever use "slimline" tonic.

couldn't agree more about slimline tonic - nasty stuff, as for ice diluting the gin - you just need to drink it quicker :)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I notice in my photos of the bottles, there are 2 Millers. Is the one you refer to either of these?
    Yes it's the dumpy bottle on the right! I had a look through your pictures - that's an impressive range of gins Was trying to think of the shop name but couldn't work it out. Where is it?

EDIT it's not Gordon Macphail is it?
    Last edited by twhp101; 17th October 2013 at 21:37.

Yes it's the dumpy bottle on the right! I had a look through your pictures - that's an impressive range of gins Was trying to think of the shop name but couldn't work it out. Where is it?
    It is Gordon & Macphail, in Elgin

http://www.gordonandmacphail.com/gor.../our-shop.html

Thanks, I spotted your location and took a guess. I didn't realise they had a shop. I need to visit the shop at some point. I wonder if they deliver out here.... Hmmm....

Thanks, I spotted your location and took a guess. I didn't realise they had a shop. I need to visit the shop at some point. I wonder if they deliver out here.... Hmmm....
    The shop is amazing! Over 1000 whiskys to choose from, then wine, vodka, gin etc
    There is an excellent deli in there too

They deliver within the UK only

I took a photo today for another forum.
    This is purely the Whisky room - you can see about 20% of their whisky stock in this photo

The other alcohol drinks are in another room.
    Last edited by andrewcregan; 17th October 2013 at 21:53.

The shop is amazing! Over 1000 whiskys to choose from, then wine, vodka, gin etc
    There is an excellent deli in there too

They deliver within the UK only
    Oh well. I do get back to Scotland every now and again so it's on the list for the next trip

Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    Avoid the ice (dilutes the gin).

You're not drinking it quick enough!

If your after something a bit different. Quite a unique taste. Hits the spot though.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I find the more aromatic gins, while excellent for Martinis don't really cut through the tonic (Bombay and Tanqueray 10). I agree that slimline tonic is awful - at one point it was all that was available when visiting my parents and I remember reading one of those Telegraph social stereotypes pieces where the elderly gentleman made a gin & slimline and then always topped the drink off with an extra splash of gin which sort of defeated the whole point. I did 2 years of this before putting my foot down and insisting on full-fat.

My normal choice is standard Tanqueray but I'm not adverse to standard Gordon's though I hate the company for reducing the alcohol content and pocketing the difference.

At the end of the day we're talking about a longdrink - i may be completely mistaken bit I wonder whether people would have similar conversations about not inexpensive whiskies and what mixer they put in them **shudder**.

Lime for me.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Anybody care to comment on the Dutch "Genevers" (I've only ever had Bols ) & the Minorcan "Xoriguer"?
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Ratio wise it's normally 2:3 gin to tonic ratio over a lot of big chunks of ice. It's either with a wipe of lemon or lime (I like both, but not at the same time) round the rim and then a dunk, or its angostura bitters. Every now and then I may skip the fruit or bitters and add a dash of elderflower liqueur, but then its not really a G&T anymore.

Gin wise I like all sorts, with Tanqueray being a staple in the cupboard along with Gordons. I know a lot of people turn their nose up at Gordons as its (relatively) cheap but it really does make a good G&T.

Tonic wise I like to stick to something simple, so Schweppes is the normal go to. Whilst other more uniquely flavoured tonics can make a lovely drink, I find it less of the taste I am looking for (or maybe it's just I like what I am used to).

My favourite though is Xoriguer from Menorca. Last time I was there a couple of years ago I was introduced to it. I asked the barman for something local and that's what he recommended. I tried it neat first, and it was lovely, and then spent the rest of the holiday drinking it with bitter lemon as the locals do. Their bitter lemon is neither as bitter nor fizzy as Schweppes and it made for a superb summer cooler. I bought a load of bottles back, at €7 for a litre it was rude not too!

If you like your G&T with cucumber in it then a mate gave me a great tip. Peel a cucumber then cut into 3/4 inch chunks, place in a bag and freeze. They don't take much longer than water to freeze, and you will always have some on hand. Dropped into your G&T they start to release flavour instantly and have the bonus of adding a really nice splash of colour.

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave View Post
    My favourite though is Xoriguer from Menorca. Last time I was there a couple of years ago I was introduced to it. I asked the barman for something local and that's what he recommended. I tried it neat first, and it was lovely, and then spent the rest of the holiday drinking it with bitter lemon as the locals do. Their bitter lemon is neither as bitter nor fizzy as Schweppes and it made for a superb summer cooler. I bought a load of bottles back, at €7 for a litre it was rude not too!
    :thumbup:

As a kid, I used to drink gin and Gini. I wonder if you can still get it?

Of the supermarket brands I'm a fan of Blackwood's.

Journeyman

Hard to find and very expensive...

More GT£ than G&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus53 View Post

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    :thumbup:

As a kid, I used to drink gin and Gini. I wonder if you can still get it?
    I have vague memories of that, maybe from childhood holidays (the Gini that is, not with gin). I haven't found a suitable substitute in the UK but I would describe it as a lemon equivalent to Orangina in that its not overly fruity and more effervescent than fizzy. It definitely has a bitter edge to it but it's nowhere as sharp as Schweppes, maybe cutting that with soda water would work?

I thought I had drunk my last bottle of the Xoriguer then I realised I had a decanter full. Going to try and make it last as it's not as cheap online!

Another thumbs up for Xoriguer. Great with lemon or tonic and really the only gin I drink now. Getting quite thirsty thinking about it and wondering if a midnight trip out for some tonic is called for!

Journeyman
    Is that an XKE? My father drove one when I was young. The picture looks familiar but is there some customization?

Just been going through some old pictures and found this, taken in Leh, which was surprisingly palatable and just a fraction over a pound a bottle. The things you do to ward off malaria though I think we would probably need to find some tonic to do that.

Massive thank you to the creator of this thread!

Gin has never interested me but after reading this thread I have been out and bought a bottle of Hendricks, some tonic water and a lime.

I'm nestling down with one now to watch the city game and boy does it taste good!

I always classed it as a bit of a birds drink but hey, I'm in the comfort of my own lounge ;-)

How the deuce has no one mentioned Boodles? Good enough for Churchill, good enough for me. Pure, clean, proper Gin. None of this cucumber nonsense.

2/3 Boodles, 1/3 Slimline Schweppes, 3 ice cubes, a twist of lime peel, and a pinch of quinine powder. Super dry and closer to our colonial forbears' tipple of choice than the sickly sweetness I find in too many G&T's these days.

Journeyman
    No my friend, this is a Ferrari GTB...not sure of the exact model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernouls View Post
    Is that an XKE? My father drove one when I was young. The picture looks familiar but is there some customization?

When feeling flush I'll buy Plymouth gin, but usually I'm happy with Gordons. My favourite is Mahon gin from Menorca but not many supermarkets stock it.

A good friend insisted in buying me Hendricks gin all night once, as it was the most expensive in the pub. TBH I didn't like it at all but didn't have the heart to tell him. Not keen on Bombay Sapphire either, too many distracting tastes.

I take mine roughly 1/3 gin to 2/3 tonic (always Schweppes) with a large ice cube and a thick slice of lime, thank you very much : )

By far the worst gin I've encountered was Beefeater bought back from holiday by a neighbour. I just couldn't drink it as it had a really nasty chemical after taste. I kept it as my "emergency" gin for a while but eventually just chucked it down the sink.

Cheers,
    Gary

No my friend, this is a Ferrari GTB...not sure of the exact model.
    Its a 275 gtb and a thing of beauty. Almost as nice as a 250gto.

I forget to say that I once tried the Plymouth Navy Strength out of curiosity but couldn't get on with it at all. Just felt like drinking after shave even with a generous amount of tonic and all the other bits.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bombay East is pretty tasty.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Batteries Not Included View Post
    Its a 275 gtb and a thing of beauty. Almost as nice as a 250gto.

Thanks for lesson! It is a beauty.

Journeyman
    Very nice and not a quartz movement to be found...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernouls View Post
    Thanks for lesson! It is a beauty.

Grand Master
    I have been sinking Hendricks this week but am keen to try Monkey 47
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

I'm also rather partial to a Gin and Bitter Lemon as well. An often overlooked tipple.
    This is why I, even now, some 40-45 years on, cannot take the smell of Gin !
    Had faaaar too much of the stuff when 'growing up'

Apparently, I loathe to promote it as it's French, according to 'fellow drinkers' there is a wonderful Gin 'Citadelle' ...
    made from 12-14 different ingredients !!

Not to 'dilute' the thread, a great thirst quencher, very popular here in Spain, is 'Clara' 50/50 lager & Fanta lemon, ...no ice.
    Excellent stuff, after a brisk 'workout'
    Last edited by ingenioren; 20th October 2013 at 17:18.

Journeyman
    I'm suprised to see the amount of Schweppes fans. Even the regular (ie not slimline) now has artificial sweeteners, saccharin I believe. I really don't like the chemical aftertaste. Fevertree seems nice enough to me and no fake (or should that be homage!) sugar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by padale View Post
    I'm suprised to see the amount of Schweppes fans. Even the regular (ie not slimline) now has artificial sweeteners, saccharin I believe. I really don't like the chemical aftertaste. Fevertree seems nice enough to me and no fake (or should that be homage!) sugar.

It is when you drink both neat, side by side, you notice Fevertree's excellence !

Had been happy with Hendricks and Bombay but tonight got something a bit different in a bar - "Gin Mare" with 1724 tonic and a sprig of rosemary (which apparently complements that particular gin)

Very different but really amazing in its own way

Grand Master
    Ho weird just poured one and then sat down to refresh new posts and the threads here.

Went for a straight Bombay Saphire with slimline tonic and a lemon slice, no ice
    RIAC

Williams Chase is good.
    Death's Door
    Beefeater 24
    Martin Miller's
    &
    Tanq 10

The others like Fever Tree - but I'm happy with any. We are making. A batch of Gins to try out over Christmas - should be good, as I rarely drink ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Tanqaray 10 if I have the choice. I cannot abide Hendricks and find Bombay Sapphire too sweet. For general quaffing on a hot summer's evening, Tesco's Finest is very good for the money. Always with ice, always with lime and preferably Schweppes full fat tonic from a new bottle.

I don't mind Bombay, Gordon's export strength is pretty good too. I'm not fussy about tonic and find Schweppes to be perfectly acceptable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    I don't mind Bombay, Gordon's export strength is pretty good too. I'm not fussy about tonic and find Schweppes to be perfectly acceptable.

Since following this thread i've added The Bottanist & Hendricks to my collection... Love both, wont go back to standard gin again!

Tanq 10 is one of my faves, 1/3 to 2/3's tonic... a large ice cube with a slice of lime.

...although to be honest, i'll drink any kind of Gin! Cheers!

Master
    My current favourite Gin & Tonic:

A canadian gin I found in the tax-free at BKK airport.

Fever tree:

And:

A few thin slices of cucumber (or one longer slice, thicker).

Makes a really refreshing G&T, highly recommend it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brownip View Post
    Try The Botanist from the Bruichladdich distillery on Islay, absolutely lovely. Made in small batches and slow distilled using the classic gin aromatics – orris root, cassia bark, coriander seed, etc and 22 local wild growing botanicals from Islay. It's good enough to be drunk on it's own with ice, but if drinking with tonic I'd go for the proportions mentioned above with a very thin slice of lime and Schweppes.

Cheers!

Ian
    Agree its awesome.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EliseMan View Post
    Tanq 10 is one of my faves, 1/3 to 2/3's tonic... a large ice cube with a slice of lime.

Yes agree it my go to also.

I'm in Mumbai at the moment and drink a fair amount of G&T. I generally opt for bombay saphire as its about the easiest half decent one to get over here. However a lot of the bars have a very nasty habit of serving you Blue Ribbon instead on the sly which is the most hideous gin I've ever tasted. Harsh as hell.

And it must be a slice of lime; actually I quite enjoy it with a lot of lime muddied with a tiny little bit of salt. Seems to bring out the flavour of the gin.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    My current favourite Gin & Tonic:

A canadian gin I found in the tax-free at BKK airport.

Fever tree:

And:

A few thin slices of cucumber (or one longer slice, thicker).

Makes a really refreshing G&T, highly recommend it!
    My brother brought me a bottle of this back from Montreal and we had some over Christmas - very good right? Tried it with cucumber too

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EliseMan View Post

Tanq 10 is great, as long as you use Fever Tree or Fentimans tonic. Keep the Royal Club and Schweppes sugary rubbish well away!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cici View Post
    My brother brought me a bottle of this back from Montreal and we had some over Christmas - very good right? Tried it with cucumber too
    Yes it's lovely. Trying to save on it now since I dont know when I'll be able to get another bottle :)

Craftsman
    Another vote for Bombay Sapphire although Edinburgh is a close second.

I got a bottle of grapefruit bitters in my Christmas stocking. A few dashes in a G&T has become my wife's favorite cocktail.