closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stolen watch

Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    Every single person I know who has visited Barcelona has been a victim or a near victim of crime.
    Thats why I am going to give the place a miss.
    Interesting. Lynn and I have been to Barcelona many times and have never experienced any problems. Quite the contrary, the locals have always been very friendly and helpful.

Now Madrid on the other hand.......... Four of us were stood in a queue waiting to board a bus to take us to the Bernabau Stadium when the bus driver started shouting out extremely loudly in Spanish. The couple in front of us turned round and also shouted as the two girls behind us ran away. They told us that the driver was shouting a warning that the girls were trying to get into the Lynn and her friends handbags. Neither Lynn or her friend felt a thing. Fortunately the warning was sufficient and nothing was stolen.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    In terms of insurance claim, i'm sure of course you yourself were not drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thanks for all the responses.

Now had a day to calm down.

Circumstances were - with friends and family, after a few glasses of wine on holiday in the evening. Walking along. Guy comes up and offers a ticket to a night club. Wife described what happened next as - the guy wraps his arms around me and I shove him away, some how in that few seconds he has the double lock off my sub and watch is gone. But, I didn't even know it had gone until we got back to our flat and I look at my wrist and - no watch.... at least 1/2hr past.

We went to local police who took a report, and they were sympathetic - guy comes in and also reports his wallet had bee stolen - guy offering tickets to a club and took his wallet. Police say they are professional thiefs - probably don't get much for their wares but sell on to drug cartels etc.

I am most annoyed mainly with myself. But then it was scary that the guy could have quite as easily stuck a knife in my side as well if I had struggled (my imagination is have a field day at the moment).

We'll see how the insurance handles this - I know they tend to try to wiggle out of claims if they can.

It makes me feel like selling all my watches - I mean - if I can't wear them why own them???

Every November the company I work for has a major event in Barcelona. Every year we warn our clients to be extra vigilant when they are in the public areas, especially after dark. Unfortunately every year we have several reports of muggings (some violent), thefts and pick-pocketings.

Barcelona is a fantastic city but it is tarnished by its crime problem. Best advice we give to people is to try and avoid being anywhere on your own and to avoid certain areas (Las Ramblas being the worst place). We also advise the men that if a pretty girl starts talking to them in the street or a bar, it's probably not because they fancy you...

To the OP - I hope you get your insurance sorted out easily and that this episode doesn't trouble you too much.

RD

ETA - I'll be taking a Seiko BM

Sorry to hear this, at least you are ok and hopefully the insurance will get sorted satisfactory.
    We went to Barcelona for a couple of nights last year, stayed in a hotel right in the middle of LaRamblas. We had had no problems at all but i did only wear my G10.

Sorry to hear about this, OP.

It's certainly a little worrying that it doesn't sound like an isolated incident, in supposedly a major city.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I seldom feel worried wearing expensive watches around major European or US cities. (Common-sense precautions accepted). Certain cities definitely have a reputation though - Naples is another one appoarently - but on-the-whole, in any city where there they expect a significant number of toursts, it's strongly in their interests to reduce petty crime.

Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    Every single person I know who has visited Barcelona has been a victim or a near victim of crime.
    Thats why I am going to give the place a miss.
    You're afraid of crime in Barcelona and you live in Dublin. Jeez.

Banned
    I think the double clasp is pushed/pulled from the end opposite the fold over bit, it pushes the whole clasp open, this works better on slightly/well worn ones, A pinch with pliers on the sides does the trick, makes sure they click together securely like when new, they then require quite a bit of force to spring open.

Glad you're safe, not a very nice experience.

BIL was stopped by unmarked Police car in Barcelona they took wallets from all 4 of them, one a Sergeant in RM, he said he thought it a bit funny at the time but delivery from the Police con men was so smooth + they had side arms.
    Last edited by Fords; 13th October 2013 at 14:41.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear the story, it sucks. Glad you are OK.
    I didn't used to wear expensive watches a broad but now I figure why should I not wear what I want because of others, like burnsey said if some one wants it they can have it.

Craftsman
    Gutted for the OP, hope no problems with the insurance.

Interesting views regarding Barcelona. I used to live there and I did not experience any such problems. My wife is from there and we travel back regularly to see family, always without incident (touch wood). It's probably worth saying that we don't go to Las Ramblas or any of the obvious tourist traps and these areas may well have a, possibly deserved, reputation. However, I certainly would not say that Barcelona in general is a dangerous city and I would certainly not dissuade anyone from going there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    I used to live there and I did not experience any such problems. My wife is from there and we travel back regularly to see family, always without incident (touch wood). It's probably worth saying that we don't go to Las Ramblas or any of the obvious tourist traps and these areas may well have a, possibly deserved, reputation. However, I certainly would not say that Barcelona in general is a dangerous city and I would certainly not dissuade anyone from going there.
    I get the impression that things can be very differerent if you're a local. I don't just mean in Barcelona; this is probably true of very many cities worldwide. If you are a local (or even just feel like a local) then this gives off a certain 'air', a certain impression or aura, one that is very different to that of visitors/'aliens'/tourists. The 'local' aura probably makes you very much less likely to be a victim of crime than the 'outsider' aura.

What this air, or impression, or aura is in practical terms is difficult to put into words. It's part familiarity, part confidence, part awareness, part knowing your way around, and whether or not you have it produces subtly different behaviour patterns that will make you seem either more or less attractive as a wouldbe target of crime.

Well, that's how it seems to me anyway.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th October 2013 at 11:38.

This is very true. A lot of people walk around looking like a 'target'

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    You're afraid of crime in Barcelona and you live in Dublin. Jeez.
    Whats your point?
    Dublin is not particularly bad for crime.
    Have you had a bad experience there?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What this air, or impression, or aura is in practical terms is difficult to put into words. It's part familiarity, part confidence, part awareness, part knowing your way around, and whether or not you have it produces subtly different behaviour patterns that will make you seem either more or less attractive as a wouldbe target of crime.
    I think when you are local or more experienced with a country you pick up the signs that the tourist doesn't - I am sure I would feel more uncomfortable quicker in parts of London than Paris for example. I had a similar experience in Italy wandering round "no go" areas without realising - went back a few years later and could see why the locals were uncomfortable about me going there by myself.

returned from spain a couple of weeks ago and theft from tourists is a big problem.stayed near Malaga and any tourist spot had problems.when I went on day trips you were warned by the tour guides to be careful.also saw people who had their handbags snatched receiving little sympathy at hotel reception (theft involved distraction as the couple were offered a flower?).it's almost as if the problem is not taken seriously as it does not affect the locals? wore my speedmaster on leather strap and felt o.k. decided not to take my ceramic sub as it stands out too much to people slightly knowledgable.sorry to hear about your loss but don't let this put you off.

Sorry to read about this. I hate all thieving and often the problem is you can't get the incident out of your mind and relive it over and over again. Hopefully the insurance claim will go through quickly and you can have closure with it but please let us know how that goes as I'm sure everyone will be interested in the successful ending.

Sorry to read this, it makes you think. I've taken chances in SA, Russia, New York,Egypt, Morocco & Spain in the past. I need to be more cautious. I hope the insurance weighs out for you ASAP.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    If I want to wear a fancy watch on holiday I will. If someone wants it, they're welcome to it.

Well I must say that's a most generous offer, but can I just check if this includes RMSD?*

*if it's a Grand Seiko I'm not interested

Master
    Sorry to hear that. I was in Barca at the end of Sept. Very nearly wore my DSSD but my mate's mandated a cheap watch strategy as he'd heard of such things. Insured or not it's well out of order! Hope you get it sorted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    It makes me feel like selling all my watches - I mean - if I can't wear them why own them???
    There are places you can wear them and places you can't.....a very unfortunate situation but a harsh reality. DON"T SELL!!

Not sure if this suggestion will go down well here but...

Buy a fake of a watch you already own and wear that on holiday.

Seems morally acceptable to make 'backups' of boxsets or whatever so why not backup your watch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Similar thing happened to me in Barcelona a couple of years ago when my i phone was stolen in a similar way. The police did say that the pickpockets often use spotters in bars/restaurants. They relay the info to guys outside so know which pocket your phone/wallet etc is in making it easy for them when they approach you outside offering tickets/vouchers etc to clubs and bars. I was also told that often they will ask for the time to check your watch, and if of high value will again inform their mates outside. A lovely City but when I went back again last year I wore a £10 Casio and kept my cash in my sock. Just the way of the World in some parts these days. Hope the insurance pays out quickly.
    Precisely what happened to a colleague in London, coming out of Motcombs restaurant, guy outside had been watching through the window, throws an empty drinks can into the gutter as my mate left, and a guy further down stopped him and literally pulled his Rolex DJ off his arm before he knew what was happening. That cyclops is a big magnet !
    Likewise one had her gold DJ pulled off her wrist whilst in Barkers of Kensington
    Better not mention the skin colour of these buggers !
    Barcelona has been notorious for years, as has Cote d'Azur - these are largely East block and Moroccan gangs who know all too well where tourists flock, and know how to 'use' it !
    It's pretty short sighted blaming a city on being mugged/robbed - be aware is the best advice !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not sure if this suggestion will go down well here but...

Seems morally acceptable to make 'backups' of boxsets or whatever so why not backup your watch?
    Wash your mouth out and hang your head in shame

Actually I see your point, but you would better off wearing a cheap genuine watch than a fake, surely?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Get battered for a pile of crap on your wrist.

I think I'd rather lose a few grand and claim off the insurance, than look at my knife wound every day and think "All for fifty quid".

I suppose wearing an expensive watch is as visible a sign of portable money as strapping a roll of Euros to your wrist. Lots of places I wouldn't walk round with my purse in my hand, maybe I should think of watches/jewellery in the same context?

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Precisely what happened to a colleague in London, coming out of Motcombs restaurant, guy outside had been watching through the window, throws an empty drinks can into the gutter as my mate left, and a guy further down stopped him and literally pulled his Rolex DJ off his arm before he knew what was happening. That cyclops is a big magnet !
    Likewise one had her gold DJ pulled off her wrist whilst in Barkers of Kensington
    Better not mention the skin colour of these buggers !
    Barcelona has been notorious for years, as has Cote d'Azur - these are largely East block and Moroccan gangs who know all too well where tourists flock, and know how to 'use' it !
    It's pretty short sighted blaming a city on being mugged/robbed - be aware is the best advice !
    Better not - the skin colour of a robber isn't relevant is it. The fact that a person robbed another person is surely the salient point.

Anyway, my condolences to Martyn - it's a horrible experience to have undergone and as others have said it could have been worse, life and limb are much more important that a mere watch.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Apprentice
    I wore my Sub' throughout my career travelling and staying in most of the major cities around Europe and quite a few elsewhere. I've always worn my watches on my right wrist and whenever asked for the time just said I don't have a watch and showed them my left wrist. when I wore a short sleeve shirt I would turn it inward so only the strap showed. I would also carry my Leica with me everywhere but in my hand with the strap wrapped around my wrist and never around my neck or over my shoulder. It would then make a very effective self defence utensil if required.
    I have now stopped wearing the Sub' out at night etc as I'm more worried that after a rocking night out I'd wake up without it.
    My tips as above,
    wear on right wrist covered,
    turn inward in dodgy situations,
    maintain a triangle of personal space and if anyone invades it all bets are off.
    I'm sorry you lost it but at least it's insured.
    It's a shame that we can't use the watches we want when we want but thats just how it is.
    If i'm going out for a skin full or travelling I now take a Seiko 007.
    As a side note, stepping out of the hotel in Rio with a Casio will probably get you into trouble!
    Wearing high value items anywhere will always make you a target for undesirables.