closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which of the 5 designs do you prefer?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • 60mph dial with steel case

124 40.66%
  • 60mph dial with PVD case a polished steel bezel

89 29.18%
  • 120mph dial with steel case

34 11.15%
  • 120mph dial with steel case and polished steel bezel

41 13.44%
  • 120mph dial with steel case and polished steel bezel (alternate dial)

17 5.57%

Thread: Smiths speedometer inspired watch - POLL

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ...Also, I don't get the enthusiasm for a 60 MPH speedo - What is it supposed to be from? A moped?

120MPH is much more in keeping with a Smiths Speedo as well as being more appropriate to a non-chronometer...
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself...+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The poll shows two to one in favour of the 60 minute dial, note 60 minute not 60mph –*it's a watch inspired by a speedo on not a watch pretending to be a speedo.
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Its just listing the minutes rather than the hours, so I don't see an issue... still relevant and a bit different!
    So a 60 minute dial is "a bit different" but an extra zero on digits of a convectional dial is too different?

I know what the poll is showing and I have voted; but my opinion is that I don't like the 60 minute dial and I think that the 120 dial is quite within the bounds of "a watch inspired by a speedo". Indeed, I think it's also a bit different and much nicer.

I think the 120 dial also works well too... in one colour. I'm not that keen on the grey number myself. I just used the 60 example in my versions as that seemed to be ahead in the polls!

So a 60 minute dial is "a bit different" but an extra zero on digits of a convectional dial is too different?
    Yes, the 60 min dial is a bit different to the norm whilst still being functional –*probably more so than a conventional dial displaying the hours, in so much as we generally know the hour when we glance for the time, so what we're really looking for is the minute, and a confirmation of the hour.

For me the 12(0) is just a bit of a gimmick, if I showed the watch to someone they'd probably ask why it has 120 on the dial, and the only reply is 'It's supposed to look like a speedo' and to me that seems a bit naff. I feel that people who know the Smiths Dials from that era, and Vincent Bikes will see the connection with the second hand, black face, date wheel, branding, polished bezel and unique minute track without the need to bee to literal and put 120mph on the watch face.

Yes, the 60 min dial is a bit different to the norm whilst still being functional...
    I feel the same about the 120 version.

...For me the 12(0) is just a bit of a gimmick...
    That's fine; I think we'd best agree to differ on this point.

...without the need to bee to literal and put 120mph on the watch face...
    I haven't seen "mph" on any 120 version, nor have I noticed "minutes" on any 60 version. I just don't have a problem with seeing 120 as 12 o'clock, so perhaps I'm not the one being too literal?

This debate rather begs the question: Why not just have conventional 1 through 12? The speedo inspiration is preserved and no danger at all of veering into naffness (10 to 120) or questionable usefulness (5 to 60). The rest of it in this latest incarnation looks great. I really like the steel bezel and crown matched to PVD case. If this ever made it to production, with 1 to 12 and without any other gimmicks, there's the very really possibility that a Timefactors watch might find its way onto my wrist :)

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by muffle View Post
    ...If it was just the normal 1-12 I would order this straight away...
    I'll meet you half way; how about 01, 02, 03 ... 12?

I would still prefer 20, 40, 60 ... 100, 120 as per my post above, but then I'm a motorcyclist and remember having British bikes with Smiths chronometric instruments.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    This debate rather begs the question: Why not just have conventional 1 through 12? The speedo inspiration is preserved and no danger at all of veering into naffness (10 to 120) or questionable usefulness (5 to 60)...
    Why not, indeed...I think it's down to what individuals prefer. As above, "I'll meet you half way; how about 01, 02, 03 ... 12?"

But then, it won't be for me to decide...

Why not, indeed...I think it's down to what individuals prefer. As above, "I'll meet you half way; how about 01, 02, 03 ... 12?"

But then, it won't be for me to decide...
    Indeed, but whilst I'd be quite keen on something with 10 - 120 (or 1 -12 even, if we're going for 'inspired by'), I'd just find the 5-60 a pain personally, which is a shame as I've got the perfect dash for the 'watch and wheel' shot

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?