closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches you daren't wear every day

Watches you daren't wear every day

I do wear this and keep it serviced but I daren't wear it every day for fear of damaging it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I wouldn't wear this everyday..... The polished finish would end up looking a mess..

Is that a gilt dial 1016? Gorgeous. Let me know if you ever decide to part with it!

The same applies to my Big Red 6263. I keep it serviced and do wear it, but sparingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SSK007 View Post

Banned
    I have only felt that way about about one watch I owned, it was a NOS Omega Speedmaster GP Racing dial with a lovely corfam rally strap worn it once and sold it as I felt it belonged to someone who would like it to look at, also my "get it worn and used head" was about to rear it's ugly mug.

Last edited by Fords; 26th August 2013 at 16:58.

PP ref. 3998

The small dress watch is only used for special occasions
    JK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I do wear this and keep it serviced but I daren't wear it every day for fear of damaging it.

Eddie
    Jesus, that is lovely. (please don't ban me )

And that Daytona.. best pic I've seen of one.

I save this one for special occasions....

I had this at one point, a 1964 Navitimer. I was constantly worried that someone would exhale while being in the same room as me and the increase in moisture would damage the watch.

Eddie
    Surely the greatest Rolex of all time (puts tin hat on).

Well it is for me anyway.

David

I see where the inspiration for the Everest came from now, beautiful watch. What year is it Eddie ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I see where the inspiration for the Everest came from now, beautiful watch. What year is it Eddie ?
    1967/68.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I wear this on occasions, my birthday being an obvious one, as it's a birth year (1964) 'Ed White', but I want to keep it in as good a condition as possible. All my watches get worn but the default is my Breitling Aerospace Avantage Titanium as does everything, can go anywhere and deals with knocks and grazes well.

Last edited by Skier; 26th August 2013 at 23:03.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wear this very rarely;

Mainly because unless your dressed smartly, and I rarely am, you'll look a prize knob with it on your wrist.

This...

...and this.

I'm probably more aware of being careful with the Speedy because of its vintage, even though its relatively easy to replace compared with the Bremont

Master
    Also have one of these.

Which got to hand over to son(honest !)so do wear it,had it on today.But this find reluctant to wear for fear of bashing case.

Of all the special edition Speedies that have come out over the years, the only one that I thought had any importance was the one below. I bought one, made the huge mistake of selling it and almost immediately bought another... I'm very glad that I did, not because of the value they now seem to have but for the reason that I believe of all the Speedies, other than those from the period, it has real significance as a commemorative edition. ... Anyway, I like Snoopy. ..... I don't wear it often, not because I'm scared of devaluing it but I actually intend to pass it on to someone in the family who will, I know, appreciate it and love to receive it in good condition...

Craftsman
    Life is short, why not celebrate it by wearing your best every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Life is short, why not celebrate it by wearing your best every day.
    See above ... ^

Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Of all the special edition Speedies that have come out over the years, the only one that I thought had any importance was the one below. I bought one, made the huge mistake of selling it and almost immediately bought another... I'm very glad that I did, not because of the value they now seem to have but for the reason that I believe of all the Speedies, other than those from the period, it has real significance as a commemorative edition. ... Anyway, I like Snoopy. ..... I don't wear it often, not because I'm scared of devaluing it but I actually intend to pass it on to someone in the family who will, I know, appreciate it and love to receive it in good condition...

I feel the same way as you do toward the "Snoopy". It actually means something.
    Plus Snoopy as a character holds some seriously nostalgic memories for me - in a really good way.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Monaco. I worry about the Acrylic crystal, plus the polished sections and the size of it and the shape. Easy to catch!

This one...

Master

Eddie

^ That era 1016 Explorer, along with maybe 3 or 4 other of the company's concurrent models, I think best exemplify Rolex at its apex. Eddie, out of curiousity, if you were to take your 1016 and exactly duplicate its external as well as internal Plexiglass Crystal OysterCase construction down to the last detail and dimension and type of material, other than using 316L stainless steel if the '67/'68 1016 did not, and used appropriate good quality modern or vintage Swiss mechanical movements as available, the Miyota 9015 if not, and called that the "Vangard", do you think it would sell well?

I ask because I think the 1016 was intrinsically and technologically a very good watch before collector status and skyrocketed monetary value made it pretty much unwearable for most, and I would think there was a market out there for a nearly identical but very wearable TF recreation of it

Omega Seamaster De Ville
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NenoS; 26th August 2013 at 21:54.

*1016 love*

I wore my father's for the first time for years this weekend. It had 27 years of almost continuous wear, prior to a service in 1997. While it was away, I crashed a motorbike, and the Swatch that was filling in for it. It's been a bit of a safe queen since.

I'd love an accurate, but 38mm, recreation. And a folded link bracelet.

81 gms all in. You forget you are wearing it.

Last edited by Watchuthinking; 26th August 2013 at 19:11. Reason: Getting my maths right

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post

bought the snoopy on a whim and have never taken it out of the box; love the watch and don't intend to part with it but never got around to wearing it but will do at some point.

i've generally avoided special editions as they don't actually feel that 'special' but had to make an exception for Snoopy; wish i could do his happy dance!

ought to buy a regular speedie to wear!

Blog Entries
    This gets far too little attention as I am too worried it's going to get a ding
    Has a gorgeous 'ivory' dial with recessed subdials.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchuthinking View Post
    *1016 love*

I wore my father's for the first time for years this weekend. It had 27 years of almost continuous wear, prior to a service in 1997. While it was away, I crashed a motorbike, and the Swatch that was filling in for it. It's been a bit of a safe queen since.

I'd love an accurate, but 38mm, recreation. And a folded link bracelet.

81 gms all in. You forget you are wearing it.
    I'd be all over that too. The Everest wears too long, lug to lug, for me.

It's this one for me, to the extent that I'm potentially looking at replacing it with a 2446C in slightly more wabi'd condition!

Blog Entries
    I should wear this a bit more but it looks too nice to scratch

The only one that I baby a little bit

My panerai 164 - not everyone's cup of tea- 2 panerai services and I love it !!!

Master
    ^^ Nice.

For me, the one I particularly baby is a Seiko Elnix. Not an expensive item, but I bought it NOS and would really like to keep it mint.

That said, there are a few I don't wear much (if at all) for various reasons - including not having a clue where I safely stored them though!

Eddie

This one. I may just have to get one of those Rolex Explorer things to wear as a daily beater to keep my PRS-25 looking pristine ....... :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries

1967/68.

Eddie
    Stupid question probably, but do you have it Serviced by Rolex?

I wear all my watches but I do baby a couple of them.

A bit valuable for every day, but I do wear it every few weeks.

Not hugely valuable, but this is for special occasions only.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I quite happily wear most of my watches, most of the time - I have just bought spares that I can keep looking like new instead of worrying about what might happen to them.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    A bit valuable for every day, but I do wear it every few weeks.

Not hugely valuable, but this is for special occasions only.

"valuable" is a crazy concept sometimes - as these photos show.

Watches are for wearing so that's what I do with them.If I wanted an ornament, I'd buy one....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Watches are for wearing so that's what I do with them.If I wanted an ornament, I'd buy one....
    I like that!

Watches are made to tell the time. I can't see the point of keeping them locked away. You bought the watch but daren't wear it because of it's value, because a ding or scratch will spoil it, that's just daft. You don't have a lot of time on this planet before you exit so get those watches worn or sell them to someone who will. If you daren't wear a watch you shouldn't have bought it. I started to think that way when I first came to this forum but my '84 Datejust went back in rotation quite quickly after I bought a few watches.
    F.T.F.A.

I have to say I disagree with the last few posts. It's quite possible to have clothes that you wear for "best", and shoes, etc... so why not watches. Not every watch has to be knocked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    "valuable" is a crazy concept sometimes - as these photos show.
    I know which of these "looks" the more valuable to me .... and it's not the Rolex.

Master
    I'm with Eddie, The Doc and a few others. '64 1016, the only one I really make a point of wearing when it's highly unlikely to get into trouble:

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I have to say I disagree with the last few posts. It's quite possible to have clothes that you wear for "best", and shoes, etc... so why not watches. Not every watch has to be knocked about.
    You mean you don't wear your Savile Row suit to go orienteering in muddy fields and peat bogs? Pah!

Now I've finished restoring it, this gets almost no wear at all

But I don't like safe-queens. Actually, let me re-phrase that, I have no problem whatsoever with safe-queens, but I don't want to own one, I love to wear my watches and I just don't wear this one because it cost a lot of time, effort and money to get it into this shape and I would hate to bash it. So, I may well think about moving it on in the near future.

Banned
    I have a speedy Schumacher (similar dial to the MkII above), which I rarely wear due to grazing the acrylic crystal shortly after getting it. I'm now after another speedy, with a saphire crystal.

Master
    I used to wear this every day 25 years ago. I don't like to now.

Craftsman
    This one is my watch that's kept for special occasions. I must get round to taking some proper pics to do it some justice.