closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Premiership - Here we go again (Match 1)

Blog Entries

Premiership - Here we go again (Match 1)

Looking forward to the new season kicking off today and now off to the City for Norwich's start to their third season playing top flight this time round.

Some cracking signings and one of the biggest spenders so far, who would have thought it four years ago after an opening 7-1 defeat at home to Colchester.

OTBC

Paul
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 18th August 2013 at 13:11.

I'm off to London to sit in a theatre for three house watching Othello with the wife while the mighty Aston Villa are not far away at Arsenal. Up The Villa!
    "A man of little significance"

I'm confident in Rodgers' project. Liverpool are going to surprise a few people this season. Confident of a top 4 finish and even leading the table in the early part of the season. A good young squad with some canny signings made over the Summer. Top 'keeper included.

YNWA.

Craftsman
    Interesting season ahead at the Stadium of light, might fly, but more likely crash and burn!

Interested in the respective fortunes of both ManU and Everton given recent managerial reshuffling - and also where Spurs & Arsenal will finish in relation to one another again.

Personally, I think it's between City and Chelsea. Stretford have over achieved over past year or two and that was down to the manager. Should be fun, really looking forward to it.

Malc

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Llanhmod View Post
    Interested in the respective fortunes of both ManU and Everton given recent managerial reshuffling - and also where Spurs & Arsenal will finish in relation to one another again.
    Yes, I'm interested by how Moyes has already started whinging about fixtures and suchlike (like a true Man U manager). Whatever next? Demanding more and more extra-time when his team are a goal down?!

I can see West Ham being relegated, as we appear to be relying totally on one centre forward who will spend half the season injured.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I can see West Ham being relegated, as we appear to be relying totally on one centre forward who will spend half the season injured.

We do need another forward but i certainly don't see West Ham in a relegation dogfight. Mid table min especially if AC can keep fit.

Another exciting season where only three teams can possibly win.

Yawn.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    I'll be watching some but mostly La Liga.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman
    Another title-less season for Arsenal! They just lost 3-1...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil T View Post
    Interesting season ahead at the Stadium of light, might fly, but more likely crash and burn!
    Not a great start in terms of the result but new signings look promising.. hopeful for good things this season. Or at least not to be in relegation battle come the end of the season would do me!

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    Liverpool will be lucky to finish in the top half, Rodgers' is an ignorant berk totally out of his depth.
    Liverpool FC these days are a disgrace to their proud history and traditions.
    First action - ship out the racist Suarez.
    Yawwwwn, the usual trolling from you on LFC. I bet your sport is netball, isn't it? You sure as heck know nothing about football. You're no doubt probably one of the 'berks' who said Liverpool would be relegated a couple of seasons ago when all the other ignorant trolls were feasting on our poor performance under Woy. They were all wrong - of course - and people like me were right when we said it wouldn't be anywhere close. That's the difference between those knowledgable about Sport and those who pop up to try and get a reaction. Well, well done...I don't usually react but I'll be sure to laugh at your Trappist Monk silence at the end of the season where you'll be wrong again.

Fancy a wager of 100 quid on your top half prediction? (I'm expecting the usual deathly silence to this challenge). I would make it higher but I'm too nice for that.

Time to put your money where your sizeable, cowardly mouth is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    Liverpool will be lucky to finish in the top half, Rodgers' is an ignorant berk totally out of his depth.
    Liverpool FC these days are a disgrace to their proud history and traditions.
    First action - ship out the racist Suarez.
    You are not even a half decent troll.

As an Evertonian, I would be the first to wish bad form on Liverpool, but I think they are getting better. The goals are there, but they are still inconsistent.

Not sure about a top 4 finish yet tho - there are more than 3 teams stronger than LFC, I think.

I'll stick my neck out and say that I see Spurs pushing Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs all the way this season. I think there'll be a fair bit of ground between those four clubs and the rest by the end of the season, although I wouldn't like to predict the order in which they'll finish.

Master
    I think Everton will finish in the top 7, maybe better. They have played some decent looking football in the pre-season and Martinez seems to have injected some excitement into our style of play.

Looking forward to MOTD tonight as it sounded like a very decent game of Football at Carrow Road today.

Glad to see Ross Barkley coming good also, he was reckoned to be as good or better than Rooney as a child, but is a couple of years behind because of the terrible injuries he suffered and was quite a nervous player last season with the occasional flash of great talent. Maybe we have a legend in the making ? :)

Blog Entries
    Just watched the Swansea - Man U game (free on PickTV), looked ominous - under the cosh for several periods, but RvP still popped up & knocked in a couple of well taken goals - even Wellbeck grabbed a brace with the last one confidently & really well taken... Plus ça change?

As a Man City fan I'm looking forward to see how Negredo, Navas & Jovetic perform. They all look good on YouTube :)

Should be an interesting season.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 17th August 2013 at 21:06.

[QUOTE="Michael_Mcr;2829671"]I think Everton will finish in the top 7, maybe better. They have played some decent looking football in the pre-season and Martinez seems to have injected some excitement into our style of play.

Looking forward to MOTD tonight as it sounded like a very decent game of Football at Carrow Road today.

Glad to see Ross Barkley coming good also, he was reckoned to be as good or better than Rooney as a child, but is a couple of years behind because of the terrible injuries he suffered and was quite a nervous player last season with the occasional flash of great talent. Maybe we have a legend in the making ? :)[/Q

Will Everton be on tonight?
    Paul

Sorry I put the Everton q in:-)
    Paul

Journeyman

AP

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Looking forward to the new season kicking off today and now off to the City for Norwich's start to their third season playing top flight this time round.

Some cracking signings and one of the biggest spenders so far, who would have thought it four years ago after an opening 7-1 defeat at home to Colchester.

OTBC

Paul

A'HAAAA!

Looking forward to my first ever Premier League game next weekend. Hopefully by tomorrow night we'll be out of the relegation zone too!

Reasons to be cheerful!!

Not sure if we should start a separate thread, but let's have some top 4 predictions.....mine

1 man city
    2 Chelsea
    3 spurs
    4 man utd

No, but he sure gives us a laugh all the time :)

It's just one game in and already Liverpool will be finishing in the bottom half and Arsenal's season is over. Luckily all of us have a bit more football knowledge than TZ's Mystic Meg.

I think it will be a close season up till about Jan-Feb when the strongest teams will forge ahead again.

Scarto - you know I'm a LFC fan like you but we always seem to disagree on their fortunes. Yes, I think the team is far more attacking and has loads of potential but they are not strong enough defensively, and waste too many chances. They need better defenders, a proper holding midfielder, and someone who is prolific in converting chances. I don't think Liverpool are stronger enough overall to get into the top 4 this season, but if they can sort out their weaknesses then at least they won't be left 20 points adrift like usual.

Everton will definitely be up there if they can hold onto Baines and Fellaini, plus they have some very good youngsters coming through.

Man Utd will always be in the top 2-3, but it will be interesting to see if they can get through matches where they need a last minute winner or equaliser....something they could always do under Fergie.

City, Spurs, Chelsea have all strengthened so should be strong too, and Arsenal should never be written off.

All in all, a very exciting season to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    You are not even a half decent troll.

As an Evertonian, I would be the first to wish bad form on Liverpool, but I think they are getting better. The goals are there, but they are still inconsistent.

Not sure about a top 4 finish yet tho - there are more than 3 teams stronger than LFC, I think.

Blog Entries
    At last! Just about to lace up the old drinking boots and head for the Bridge. Welcome back Jose.

Master
    Good to see Southampton playing 4 players who have come through the academy- 3 of them only 18 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Not sure if we should start a separate thread, but let's have some top 4 predictions.....mine

1 man city
    2 Chelsea
    3 spurs
    4 man utd
    This is what I'm feeling right now, as it happens. I'd take it now, anyway

Master
    Watched MOTD this morning.

Van Persie looks as clinical as ever and could be the difference again

Apprentice

1 man city
    2 Chelsea
    3 spurs
    4 man utd

I'd swop Chelsea and City around. The Mourinho motivational team talks and mind games should work better how Fergie's gone

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    Watched MOTD this morning.

Van Persie looks as clinical as ever and could be the difference again
    He could indeed, but let's not forget he is prone to getting injured.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    He could indeed, but let's not forget he is prone to getting injured.
    Have to say I was impressed again with Michu, despite being in the losing side he looks like being a handful again this season

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Good to see Southampton playing 4 players who have come through the academy- 3 of them only 18 years old.
    Yes, I agree. I think I'll pop down to St Mary's two or three times this season, they're looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
    I'd swop Chelsea and City around. The Mourinho motivational team talks and mind games should work better how Fergie's gone
    Me too.

I'm also thinking (hoping against hope perhaps) that Liverpool will take 4th spot from either United or Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Me too.

I'm also thinking (hoping against hope perhaps) that Liverpool will take 4th spot from either United or Spurs.
    You never know, but that's a big ask, I think. Our squad is the strongest I've ever known after some really good acquisitions this summer, and I can't see Utd finishing outside the top four. I suspect Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton will be fighting for the Europa League spot, to be honest.

LFC will be in Euro games next season... I hope, but it will take a while before the season shows its true colours. I had my 'Pool heroes back then, now the Jr athletes in our family have theirs. That would be Steve, not Luis then! True icons that deserve it are few and far between. There was always a lot in common with Messieurs Gerrard and Lahm in my mind, a lot of valuable values.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'm off to London to sit in a theatre for three house watching Othello with the wife while the mighty Aston Villa are not far away at Arsenal. Up The Villa!
    What a shame that you were so close and could not be there. A brilliant result for the Villa and I could hardly be more pleased! A friend of mine at my snooker club is a mad Arsenal supporter, I am looking forward to seeing him tonight, given that he has been ribbing me about this match since the fixtures were published!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    No, but he sure gives us a laugh all the time :)

It's just one game in and already Liverpool will be finishing in the bottom half and Arsenal's season is over. Luckily all of us have a bit more football knowledge than TZ's Mystic Meg.

I think it will be a close season up till about Jan-Feb when the strongest teams will forge ahead again.

Scarto - you know I'm a LFC fan like you but we always seem to disagree on their fortunes. Yes, I think the team is far more attacking and has loads of potential but they are not strong enough defensively, and waste too many chances. They need better defenders, a proper holding midfielder, and someone who is prolific in converting chances. I don't think Liverpool are stronger enough overall to get into the top 4 this season, but if they can sort out their weaknesses then at least they won't be left 20 points adrift like usual.

Everton will definitely be up there if they can hold onto Baines and Fellaini, plus they have some very good youngsters coming through.

Man Utd will always be in the top 2-3, but it will be interesting to see if they can get through matches where they need a last minute winner or equaliser....something they could always do under Fergie.

City, Spurs, Chelsea have all strengthened so should be strong too, and Arsenal should never be written off.

All in all, a very exciting season to look forward to.
    Hi Shane.

I think we're usually in agreement a bit more than you give us credit for.

Although I agree that we need a couple of defenders and a midfielder, I'm pretty sure that Rodgers is working on this. Let's look at it so far.

A top 'keeper signed in Mignolet (although I feel bad for Reina leaving, albeit on loan, as he has). Experienced defender in K Toure, Aspas who, to me on the highlights, looked a bit like Coutinho with his movement and work on the ball and Alberto (an unknown for all of us so far).
    I'm sure they are aiming for at least one more signing before the end of the window.
    There is already a deal being worked on for midfielder Anzhi's Wilian who will cost a lot. There is a loan deal for a left-back (Cissokho) and ideally I'm sure they'll want another central defender - god knows Rodgers has tried.

With Suarez back in a few weeks, this is a really exciting young squad. Sturridge should have a big season so I think with the attacking options in Coutinho, Aspas, Suarez and Sturridge, there will be much fewer opportunities wasted this time.

No doubt the window in January will be made use of too. I like that Rodgers has been quite ruthless in clearing out a lot of the deadwood and averageness (Spearing, Shelvey, Carroll, Downing etc.) and is now really making the squad his own. In an ideal world, I think he'd want to be rid of Enrique and Skrtel too but he's done pretty well to mould this squad in a year. I'm quite looking forward to see how things go as long as some of the frustrating inconsistency is ironed out and the woodwork is not hit 5 times every game like the past couple of seasons (although yesterday again had echoes of that!).

I disagree completely on Arsenal though. Unless Wenger pulls in at least three or four top players in the next couple of weeks, I think this will be the season that he loses his job. God knows what he's waiting for. Looks like the same tired old squad to me and this time it's worse as more than fifteen players have left, leaving it very thin. He only has himself to blame if he goes by the end of the season.

My predictions (being realistic now ):

Chelsea
    Manchester City
    Spurs
    Manchester United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    What a shame that you were so close and could not be there. A brilliant result for the Villa and I could hardly be more pleased! A friend of mine at my snooker club is a mad Arsenal supporter, I am looking forward to seeing him tonight, given that he has been ribbing me about this match since the fixtures were published!
    Yes, it was painful having to turn off my phone at the end of the play interval, just as Baker was replaced by Clark. I really did think we were stuffed and not quite prepared for turning on the phone at the end of the show and seeing us 1-2 up and then Tony Moon scoring! I think he's a great player, saw him at the Wycombe match in pre-season and thought he looked great. He had one goal disallowed and I think hit the post in pre-season so he's going to be great for us. Plus he has a right foot too, something Bennett has but can't kick a ball with!

If Gabby can keep himself injury free then this is going to be his season. The last couple of seasons he's got up to his peak and then gone out injured for a couple of months. Along with Wiemann and Benteke, with Helenius, Tonev and Bacuna as subs/in reserve, we have a formidable attack and are going to score a lot of goals this season. Very exciting isn't it? I think somewhere between 8th and 12th is realistic. We do need buy a replacement for Vlaar though and get Okore in.

I was being texted by a friend through the match yesterday, the messages all came at once and from a slightly smug 1-0 at six minutes to a rant about the ref at the end it was quite funny! I'll see him on Tuesday and will hear all about it then I'm sure.

Master
    I think in terms of "predicting" how a football season will go, it is fun for us to all have our theories, but I would like to try to re-quote something I heard a long time ago, which left a lasting impression on me.

Gerald Houllier was commentating on an (international ?) game some time after he left Liverpool and in the interval was discussing football form in general terms and he said "football is often about a run of 3 games. You win 3 in a row and everyone is excited and believe they can beat anyone and usually go onto a run of success. You lose 3 in a row and everyone is miserable and believe they cannot beat anyone anymore and usually go onto a slide downward."

How very true. This is where the Managers really show their abilities in sports psychology or lack of. Being able to control and steer a highly motivated squad or being able to halt a slide and turn it around.
    Last edited by Michael_Mcr; 18th August 2013 at 12:49.

It's lose three in a row....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    It's lose three in a row....
    Pedant ...

Blog Entries
    Cracking game at Carrow Rd yesterday and a fair result. Very happy with the start against one of the Prems top well established teams and I bet a disappointment for the Everton faithful that they could not secure all 3 points against a minno like Norwich.

Figures show Everton's possession was massive but it was side to side and back for large parts of the game. Take Baines and Fellani out and they are serious lacking although the youngster looked good.

Us..... Major change from last season with a great deal of pace and urgency that we were lacking last season and no where near as negative. RvW had two chances and scored with is second.I am sure there will be lots said this season about him and he will stamp on this league. Redmond is going to be massive this season and the first time since Hucks that we have had a play who will pick the ball up and run. Whittaker was superb as he was against England during the week. Ollson came on and has massive pace also and looks an excellent signing.
    All this and Snodgrass did not start due to a niggle, new signings Hooper and Fer were also unavailable for various reasons so not a first choice line up by any means.

I think we stand a good chance to stay up this season and if we can improve on 12th and 11th last time out, it would be great.

Ta
    Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Cracking game at Carrow Rd yesterday and a fair result. Very happy with the start against one of the Prems top well established teams and I bet a disappointment for the Everton faithful that they could not secure all 3 points against a minno like Norwich.

Figures show Everton's possession was massive but it was side to side and back for large parts of the game. Take Baines and Fellani out and they are serious lacking although the youngster looked good.

Us..... Major change from last season with a great deal of pace and urgency that we were lacking last season and no where near as negative. RvW had two chances and scored with is second.I am sure there will be lots said this season about him and he will stamp on this league. Redmond is going to be massive this season and the first time since Hucks that we have had a play who will pick the ball up and run. Whittaker was superb as he was against England during the week. Ollson came on and has massive pace also and looks an excellent signing.
    All this and Snodgrass did not start due to a niggle, new signings Hooper and Fer were also unavailable for various reasons so not a first choice line up by any means.

I think we stand a good chance to stay up this season and if we can improve on 12th and 11th last time out, it would be great.

Ta
    Pitch
    It was a good game and I don't think any Evertonians were disappointed with what they saw. Martinez has bought some exciting looking football.

I would also question " Take Baines and Fellani out and they are serious lacking " ? - I think that we have much more strength and depth than just those two players :)

It is good to see Norwich setting their stall out with some spending and attacking play and I think they will be a credible force in the premiership this season.

What!?

West Ham have got very good players in all positions.

The defence and keeper are excellent and well drilled.

In the midfield Cole was brilliant yesterday. With Downing and Jarvis bombing on, Nolan in the hole and Carroll hopefully back soon we can give anybody a good game.

I see WHU finishing in the top eight.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Get in my Villa Boys!
    Just got back after a night in London.
    We were superb and deserved the win
    UTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    What!?

West Ham have got very good players in all positions.

The defence and keeper are excellent and well drilled.

In the midfield Cole was brilliant yesterday. With Downing and Jarvis bombing on, Nolan in the hole and Carroll hopefully back soon we can give anybody a good game.

I see WHU finishing in the top eight.
    I can't see that happening, you have to score goals to finish that high. Top scorer last season was Nolan with 10. We're now without Cole (Carlton) and there's talk of Maiga going to France on loan, so I don't see where the goals will come from.

1 man city
    2 Chelsea
    3 spurs
    4 man utd
    Can't see Spurs finishing that high without Bale

I can't see that happening, you have to score goals to finish that high. Top scorer last season was Nolan with 10. We're now without Cole (Carlton) and there's talk of Maiga going to France on loan, so I don't see where the goals will come from.
    I grant you we will miss AC when he is not available but Maiga did a good job yesterday and I can't see him going on loan until Carroll is fully fit.

After all Spurs did OK last season without a striker.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Ah well, Spurs started with a win. Son in law will be overjoyed, as will LTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Ah well, Spurs started with a win. Son in law will be overjoyed, as will LTF!
    I am! We should have put that one to bed and won by three, but for a tricky opening game we played well and all our signings look magnificent players.

Now, if we can put six points between us and Arsenal before we go there in a couple of weeks...