closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Seiko collection

Blog Entries

Current Seiko collection

I think I'm content now. At least for the moment. :)

Blog Entries
    Love them all!

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Well you've got the dive watch covered there. Nice collection. That's all the watches a man really needs.

Master
    Really nice collection. Is a the Bullet on the NATO? Looks superb.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post

Very nice and balanced collection. I thought you were selling the GS quartz? Decided to keep it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Really nice collection. Is a the Bullet on the NATO? Looks superb.
    It sure is, and I git new hands for it in the post today, so soon I'll do some modding on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JapanWatchConnection View Post
    Very nice and balanced collection. I thought you were selling the GS quartz? Decided to keep it?
    Nope. I sold the SBGX061 and bought a 083 instead. A little wider and a lot more awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asimH View Post
    Well you've got the dive watch covered there. Nice collection. That's all the watches a man really needs.
    "All" I need is a GS GMT I think, then I'm done.

Seiko's are certainly moreish!

Master
    It sure is, and I git new hands for it in the post today, so soon I'll do some modding on it.
    Will be interested to see that. Don't forget to post some pics.

Very nice!

Master
    You like your seiko divers then...
    Great collection and the Grand Seiko is a beauty. Very tempted!

Craftsman
    Excellent collection.
    I love the Marinemaster.

Apprentice
    Wish to have one of these, nice collection!

Nope. I sold the SBGX061 and bought a 083 instead. A little wider and a lot more awesome.

Ahhhh! I see. Superb choice. I myself fancy it's blue dialed sibling, SBGX087.
    Last edited by JapanWatchConnection; 8th August 2013 at 19:28.

Craftsman
    I'm not as drawn to divers as I used to be but that GS is indeed awesome in its design and execution. Feel free to post wrist shots :-)

Blog Entries
    Will be interested to see that. Don't forget to post some pics.
    I'll post some pics in the mod section when I'm done. I've got some alone time on Saturday that's perfect for some modding. :)

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Very nice!
    Thanks! I saw pics of your Golgo 13 tuna when I googled before I bought it. They pushed me over the edge. :) Now I just need to find a good crystal for it because the original crystal drives me nuts. I'll probably go for a yobokies sapphire, since that's the only replacement crystal I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    You like your seiko divers then...
    Great collection and the Grand Seiko is a beauty. Very tempted!
    Thanks, I love 4 o clock Seiko divers. Can't go wrong with a prospex diver. The bullet is more or less just to have something to tinker with.
    The GS however is on another level quality wise.

Very nice I do like a Seiko watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karm View Post
    I'm not as drawn to divers as I used to be but that GS is indeed awesome in its design and execution. Feel free to post wrist shots :-)
    38,5mm excluding the crown on my 7½ inch / 18,5cm wrist. Perfect fit! I like the fact that it's only 10mm high.

Quote Originally Posted by Karm View Post
    They are part of the new "Active Line" GS collection of quartz and mechanical models which are aimed at a younger clientele. These models are currently only available in Japan (That may change in the future as GS is sold internationally) and are available in 3 quartz flavors:

SBGX083 - Black Dial

SBGX085 - Silver dial

SBGX087 - Blue dial

Interesting tid bits about these Active Line GS quartz SBGX....

They are the first 9F GS quartz models to feature "Tokyo" stripes on the movement's main plate cover:

They are also the first "Master Shop" designation GS quartz models in sometime. The last MS GS quartz models were produced circa 2008.

They currently retail for 262,500 YEN (Tax-In) in Japan and they should be easy to source by the amigos in Japan, namely Higuchi and Seiya.

My favorite model of the 3 variants is the 087 with its breath taking deep and rich blue dial:

My caveats with current 9F GS quartz watches still stand in the face of these gorgeous sport SBGX models:

- Battery dependency and no solar option

- Lack of independent set hour hand - a deal braker for those of us who live in countries that observe daylight savings time or summer time

- Lack of perpetual calendar.

For these reasons I think the competing "The Citizen" aka Citizen Chronomaster are technologically better than their 9F GS quartz counterparts (And yes I have owned both, Citizen and GS HEQ watches).
    Last edited by JapanWatchConnection; 8th August 2013 at 19:46.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing. I didn't know the part about the tokyo stripes.
    Chino doesn't sell master shop editions by the way, so it's Higuchi or Sheiya.
    The last master shop edition quartz must be the SBGF021 ???

Great collection and quite similar to mine as we have discussed! Love the red tipped seconds hand of the GS.

[IMG][/IMG]

Correct. Chino, although a brick and mortar Seiko AD, does not have access to GS catalog Master Shop models, only "Regular" GS models which are still spectacular watches.

Higuchi is a brick and mortar Seiko AD in Oita, Japan. He also has access to Master Shop catalogue GS watches.

Seiya is a part-time watch broker, not an AD. He buys his watches off from brick and mortar stores in and around metropolitan Tokyo and sells them with a 5% (or thereabouts) profit on top of the final sale price.
    Last edited by JapanWatchConnection; 8th August 2013 at 19:58.

The last master shop edition quartz must be the SBGF021 ???
    No. SBGF021 was a very "basic" entry level GS quartz model using the 8J quartz module (I believe it was still TC'ed), rated to 10 secs a year. An interesting aspect of the 8J is that it has independent set hour hand (Which the 9F has never offered) and lume (Which until very recently some newer 9F models like the "Milgauss" has started to offer).

Here is the SBFG021:

The last GS quartz Master Shop sold was the SBGT029 (And its variants) which was a 9F83 day/date model offered in Bright titanium case and bracelet only:

Note the exquisitely made and intricate textured patterned dial:

The bracelet links were each made of 7 separate parts.

They were very expensive, as expensive as "basic" GS spring drive models (SBGA001/003 in steel). They retailed for 472,500 YEN (Tax-In) but after the 2008 world recession, Seiko Japan stopped producing them.
    Last edited by JapanWatchConnection; 8th August 2013 at 19:57.

Blog Entries
    @japanwatchconnection
    Thanks for all the fun info about the sellers!
    The different GS product lines are impossible to keep track of.

We use daylight saving time here in Sweden as well, but it's only 2 days a year that correction is needed, so I don't really mind. A perpetual calendar however would be a nice feature, but not so important for me that I would pass on a watch for just that reason.

Edit: SBGF021 also has a screw down crown and is rated to 20ATM, which is a nice feature.

@japanwatchconnection
    Thanks for all the fun info about the sellers!
    The different GS product lines are impossible to keep track of.

We use daylight saving time here in Sweden as well, but it's only 2 days a year that correction is needed, so I don't really mind. A perpetual calendar however would be a nice feature, but not so important for me that I would pass on a watch for just that reason.

Edit: SBGF021 also has a screw down crown and is rated to 20ATM, which is a nice feature.
    Here in the US is 8 months out of the year that we live under summer time correction. My annoyance is having to hack/stop a 10 sec a year HEQ watch just to be able to set the time 1 hour forwards or backwards. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a high precision watch. That is the reason why I have stuck with GS Spring Drive models with GMT feature as these allow for independent set hour hand and no need to stop the movement for time corrections (Which also comes in handy when travelling).

Yes, I can live without the perpetual calendar. But the Citizen Chronomaster spoiled me with these features and I am still hoping for the day Seiko updates the GS 9F quartz movement to incorporate the independent set hour hand at the very least.

Lovely! I need to get myself an MM300.

Here's a rather rubbishy shot of my wee Seiko collection. There is something about them.

While were at it I will play ,Seiko rocks.I like em big.

Master
    Surely you'd be better off selling them all and buying a proper watch - a Rolex?

Master
    I love the collection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch freek View Post
    While were at it I will play ,Seiko rocks.I like em big.
    The tuna looks tiny in that group. :D

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Surely you'd be better off selling them all and buying a proper watch - a Rolex?
    I could keep them and buy a Rolex tomorrow if I wanted to. Somehow people seem to think that Seiko is for people who can't afford a Rolex, and while that might be true to some, Rolex in general just don't attract me. There are so many other watches I'd like to own before I buy a sub. To each is own I guess.

This post is just rich.

Craftsman
    You clearly know nothing about watches Sir.

Craftsman

Are the 2 rubber straps TimeFactors or Isofranes?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danoafc View Post
    Are the 2 rubber straps TimeFactors or Isofranes?
    "In house" retro rubbers, both of them. I've got one for the mm300 as well.

Love it! Best rubber strap ever and the only rubber/silicone strap I'd ever consider for a diver.

Master
    What I like about this collection is the thought and imagination that has gone into it. They have all been sauced from outside the EU, taking a great deal of time and effort. A Rolex on the other hand, can be purchased from the High Street within ten minutes.

That's why they are so common.

I find this collection is far more interesting than a watch I can buy from round the corner.

Nice Seiko collection, I like the divers and have a couple lesser ones myself but MM300's are so awesome, its on the list but other thinks keep getting bought, GS is the coolest of them all though.

Craftsman
    "In house" retro rubbers, both of them. I've got one for the mm300 as well.

Love it! Best rubber strap ever and the only rubber/silicone strap I'd ever consider for a diver.
    "In-House"? Seiko you mean?
    Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!

Can you tell me who makes them/where from please?

Ta

Master
    Lovely lot of Seikos that.

I seem to be down to 2, must change that...

Blog Entries
    Very interesting stuff to read, and great watches.

No trolling by some dipstick can take the pleasure away.

The battery issue with the 9F movement is annoying, but what a gem of a quartz movement it is!!

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Great collection Y! :-)
    Also very interesting information in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Love them all!

Daddel.
    Ah, but would you love them if they didn't say "Seiko" on the dial?

Blog Entries
    "In-House"? Seiko you mean?
    Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!
    Can you tell me who makes them/where from please?
    Ta
    No worries. I tried to be funny, which wasn't successful. I meant "in house" as in TZUK / timefactors. The straps are timefactors retro rubbers.

The sumo (pictured front left) is on a regular 20mm retro rubber, the mm300 (pictured back left) is on a flat version 20mm, and the tuna (pictured back right) is on a 22mm flat version retro rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Very interesting stuff to read, and great watches.
    The battery issue with the 9F movement is annoying, but what a gem of a quartz movement it is!!
    Daddel.
    But is it really an issue? One day every 3 years I'll have to open up the screw back case and replace the battery. I've already got 2 original batteries which I bought for a total cost of £4. When that day comes I'll take a glass of Islay single malt and take some pictures of the "Tokyo striped" movement. Sounds like a great day. I can't think of anything that can make a Friday better than that.

No worries. I tried to be funny, which wasn't successful. I meant "in house" as in TZUK / timefactors. The straps are timefactors retro rubbers.

The sumo (pictured front left) is on a regular 20mm retro rubber, the mm300 (pictured back left) is on a flat version 20mm, and the tuna (pictured back right) is on a 22mm flat version retro rubber.

But is it really an issue? One day every 3 years I'll have to open up the screw back case and replace the battery. I've already got 2 original batteries which I bought for a total cost of £4. When that day comes I'll take a glass of Islay single malt and take some pictures of the "Tokyo striped" movement. Sounds like a great day. I can't think of anything that can make a Friday better than that.
    Not sure you should do that. A glass of Yamazaki 18 year old would be much more appropriate!

Craftsman

Actually, I probably was being a bit thick!! ;-)

Is there any chance of a side-on view of them on the TF rubbers? Particularly the 20mm one? I'm interested in picking one up but think that the quoted thickness of 7mm might be a little bit too chunky looking.

Thanks.

Dan

Thanks! I saw pics of your Golgo 13 tuna when I googled before I bought it. They pushed me over the edge. :) Now I just need to find a good crystal for it because the original crystal drives me nuts. I'll probably go for a yobokies sapphire, since that's the only replacement crystal I've found.
    I'm happy to take the blame for the Golgo Tuna, it's a fun watch.
    Will be very interested to hear about your crystal switch, please feel free to drop me a mail/pm when you have gotten around to it.

Great collection! These are the ones I would chooce, too! (I would prefer the original over the modded SKX, though)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Not sure you should do that. A glass of Yamazaki 18 year old would be much more appropriate!
    Aaah. My bad. I think I have a Nikka that I bought in Japan that would be more appropriate for the situation. :)

Is there any chance of a side-on view of them on the TF rubbers? Particularly the 20mm one?
    Dan
    You are in luck here, because that is the only side view I've photographed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    I'm happy to take the blame for the Golgo Tuna, it's a fun watch.
    Will be very interested to hear about your crystal switch, please feel free to drop me a mail/pm when you have gotten around to it.
    No problemo. Will do! I'll probably take some pictures and write a walk through and take some comparison photos of before and after.

Blog Entries
    What I like about this collection is the thought and imagination that has gone into it. They have all been sauced from outside the EU, taking a great deal of time and effort. A Rolex on the other hand, can be purchased from the High Street within ten minutes.
    You almost made me cry with that post!

Fun fact about sourcing the watches: The Golgo 13 tuna was actually originally sold in Sweden. They got 3 watches and two of them have been sold. 3rd is waiting to be sold and the price is a whopping £1275.
    Last edited by yonsson; 9th August 2013 at 09:11.