closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Your thoughts on an older Omega like this?

Craftsman

Question Your thoughts on an older Omega like this?

I've liked the idea of an older Omega for a while, but smaller watches just don't suit me. I don't think I've anything smaller than 42mm in my collection.

But I've found that square watches wear a bit bigger, so a 35/36mm+ square watch might just do the trick.

I'm not too sure how big this one is, but I really like the style from what I can see. It looks that little bit more modern and I think a few different strap options would look good. I think it's 35mm?

It's not an automatic, but I don't really mind - I've enough automatics to keep wound anyway.

Here's a few more I've seen on eBay over the last few days. The one above I like the most though.

The going rate seems to be around £400 - am I likely to buy a frankenwatch or a money pit for that type of price?

Are there any other options I should consider? I don't want anything too vintage looking or dressy, and I'll admit that I like the idea of getting into a prestige brand for not too much cash. Feel free to send on details if you've something you want to move on.

thanks in advance!

I agree with your tastes, love these 70/80's styled Omegas. Recently bought this NOS Constellation quartz which I think is a fantastic watch with great design. Reminds me a bit of the Mariner (I) but alot smaller at 33mm wide and 7mm thick. Wears a bit larger though thanks to its integrated bracelet. (a bit tight on me though, could use an extra link piece...)

I think it is important to do your homework before buying these watches, do research on the specific model and try to judge the condition from photos. The cases usually have rectangular shapes and sharp edges that often has been polished away.
    Its also difficult to know the condition of these semi-mechanic quartz movements, one will have to rely on the visual impression. Fantastic good qualite movements by the way.
    Price wise its hard to say since these wathes are not that popular compared to other vintage pieces. But for £400 you should be able to get a very fine example.

Apprentice
    I have a gold plated Quartz De-Ville (80s) with lizard strap.
    A massive fan of the watch but batteries don't seem to last much longer than three or four months.
    I guess that it may have issues..

Grand Master
    One of the problems in buying an older quartz watch is lack of parts availability. If any of the circuit parts fail you cannot obtain replacements. Omega may be able to fix it; possibly they have parts which they won`t release, but the price will be substantial.

Some will disagree with me, but I think old quartz watches are best avoided. A mechanical will still work, even if parts are worn; usually a stripdown and clean will get the wtch working reasonably well even if it's not as good as it once was. By contrast, a broken quartz watch is a dead watch if parts can`t be found.

I`ve just serviced a 1952 Omega automatic that wasn`t running......it is now and it'll continue to do so. Parts cost was minimal, it simply needed stripping down and cleaning. My strong advice is to stick with mechanicals if buying something old, and be wary of non-runners.

Paul

I'd agree with the OP that square watches definitely look bigger than their round counterparts.

I'd also agree with Paul's advice on old quartzes.....Only buy if working.

Plenty of older square Omega mechs about and they are often a bit cheaper than the roundies.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Apprentice

Omega

Great looking watch! Havent ever seen one in the flesh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevencarrol View Post
    Great looking watch! Havent ever seen one in the flesh!!!
    Thanks, the DeVille Dynamic is a pretty rare fish.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I own this one which has a real 1970's look

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'd agree with the OP that square watches definitely look bigger than their round counterparts.

I'd also agree with Paul's advice on old quartzes.....Only buy if working.

Plenty of older square Omega mechs about and they are often a bit cheaper than the roundies.

I owned one of these several years ago and it was nice. Black or dk blue dial/steel case works v. well with this design, and it certainly had plenty of wrist presence. Only drawback is the strap, which is a special and costs around £75.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I own this one which has a real 1970's look
    That's a rare one too. Uses a conventional strap if I`m not mistaken.

Paul

Blog Entries
    I'd definitely endorse the "only buy an older quartz if it's working" view, but I'd stop well short of saying "avoid". I've got a couple of square (well, square-ish) watches running Omega's mid-'70s calibre 1310 and they work very well - indeed I've had one serviced by keitht on here, and it runs within its original 5-seconds-a-month spec, not bad for an old girl.

Omega really did make some fantastic designs in the 1970s and the square-ish ones are among the most interesting to my eyes. It was the era of integrated bracelets, too, which just adds to the wrist presence. Happy hunting!

Craftsman
    Great info as always, thanks very much.

I measured a cheap square watch I have and it's a shade of 35mm in width but looks so much bigger than a round dial would with the same width - which makes me more confident that a square watch will wear bigger. Certainly the 45mm Steinhart aviator I had looked miles bigger than round divers of the same size.

Time to do a bit of research I think!

Craftsman
    Well, the one I liked has been withdrawn from eBay after I asked a few questions (for example; is that sticky tape holding bits of the movement on), but as it happens I've agreed to buy something nicer again. Don't want to jinx it, so I'll post details when it lands.

where the girls are pretty and the watches tickin´
    My Fav of a square Omega is the Megaquartz here... not too big not too small.

Reference ST 396.0811
    Size: 11,6 x 37 x 41 mm
    Type: Quartz electronic analogic
    Caliber: 1310
    Created in 1973
    8 jewels

its a stunning cool dresser!

Apprentice
    Inspired by this thread I gave my De Ville a good clean (finally got round to removing whatever it was on the back of the crystal) and put a new battery in it.

Turns out the one in it was not correct.

This may be of some use to you.
    http://goldsmithwatchworks.com/Omega...E_2004_711.pdf

DSC_8571.jpg by alistairinjapan, on Flickr

Nothing like a bit is 70's squareness

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    Nothing like a bit is 70's squareness

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/08/ta6u2a7u.jpg
    Ha, what are the odds - guess what turned up in the post!

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Ha, what are the odds - guess what turned up in the post!
    Nice one :)

Master
    I love the Mariner. It looks really great both on a larger strap or on its original metal bracelet.
    I missed one a few years ago and I've been looking for one in good condition ever since, with no success so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    I love the Mariner. It looks really great both on a larger strap or on its original metal bracelet.
    I missed one a few years ago and I've been looking for one in good condition ever since, with no success so far.
    Have to agree with you that the 19mm strap is a little thin looking on these , but then again it was a large case size for the time.

Craftsman
    Have to agree with you that the 19mm strap is a little thin looking on these , but then again it was a large case size for the time.
    Yep, the tapered strap is about the only thing I'm not keen on. I think I'm going to change it to a mesh one. Is it 19mm at the lugs?

Here it is anyway:

Yep, the tapered strap is about the only thing I'm not keen on. I think I'm going to change it to a mesh one. Is it 19mm at the lugs?

That look was all the rage back then, even the original leather strap was tapered. yes 19mm at the lugs

Sorry op if this is going ot ;)

Craftsman
    That look was all the rage back then, even the original leather strap was tapered. yes 19mm at the lugs
    I might see how I get on with it - it could grow on me. 19mm could be a tricky size to find. Are there any downsides to fitting an 18mm strap?

Sorry op if this is going ot ;)
    Not at all! I have the watch now, so time to start tinkering with it

I might see how I get on with it - it could grow on me. 19mm could be a tricky size to find. Are there any downsides to fitting an 18mm strap?

Not at all! I have the watch now, so time to start tinkering with it
    Even though it's only 1mm smaller it will look far too small. You would be better off modifying a 20mm one down.

Craftsman
    Even though it's only 1mm smaller it will look far too small. You would be better off modifying a 20mm one down.
    Cheers, I'll check that out.

Blog Entries
    As it happens, I found a 20mm NATO worked fine with that watch - I mostly kept it on the bracelet though, for maximum retro points.

I was just browsing through photos on my mac and came across this one. I believe it shows the style of the original leather strap that was on the Omega mariner. It makes the bracelet look even skinner in comparison.

Craftsman
    Yeah, I think I need a new strap - it's just too skinny for me. Is it easy to modify a strap or bracelet from 20mm to 19mm? The lug size is limiting my options quite a lot.

Yeah, I think I need a new strap - it's just too skinny for me. Is it easy to modify a strap or bracelet from 20mm to 19mm? The lug size is limiting my options quite a lot.
    Its relatively easy to do but very hard to make it look like it hasn't been butchered.

What type of strap were you thing of?

Let us not forget the lovely Mariner II

Craftsman
    Its relatively easy to do but very hard to make it look like it hasn't been butchered.

What type of strap were you thing of?
    I like this one:

There are a good few 19mm leather ones available, but very few mesh ones. Saw a few that'll be 60+ posted, which is a bit more than I want to pay.

EDIT: I contacted the seller, and he said he could take off .5 mm either side, bring it down to 19mm. Result!

Quote Originally Posted by _jonte View Post

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...7-04102503.jpg
    That's pretty cool actually
    Last edited by Eoin; 9th July 2013 at 22:11.

I like this one:

There are a good few 19mm leather ones available, but very few mesh ones. Saw a few that'll be 60+ posted, which is a bit more than I want to pay.

EDIT: I contacted the seller, and he said he could take off .5 mm either side, bring it down to 19mm. Result

Great!

please post some pics if you buy one, i might consider getting one for mine for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by _jonte View Post

Just love this and the bigger marine chronometer as well.

Craftsman
    Great!

please post some pics if you buy one, i might consider getting one for mine for a change.
    I will of course - postage from the UK to Ireland has been really slow recently, so it'll probably be a week or so before it arrives. Here it is on eBay anyway in case you want to have a look.

Craftsman
    Here it is on the mesh

I must admit - the 1970's where abhorrent in so many ways. Flairs, duffle coats, tartan, wallpaper etc. There is just something about the watches though...