closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Office Work Watch ?

Blog Entries

Office Work Watch ?

Hi All,

Looking for some discussion not a slaying.

I tend to wear my mid size 8500 AT for work.

I never feel comfortable with a diver and I have tried a few.

In my opinion the perfect work watch should not be a dress watch but a good all-rounder e.g. Explorer 1, AT8500, AT2500,IWC Pilot etc

Thoughts ?

A Navitimer is the only thing I wear that isn't a dress watch. Except casual Fridays where I'll wear anything really.

I'd wear an Explorer I if I had one though (when I have one...).

A picture of my workwatch

Last edited by Vahalis; 18th June 2013 at 20:06.

Master
    I work in an office and just wear what takes my fancy. Today, it was an octagonal cased Omega hummer. Tomorrow it might be a more dressy watch.

If I had to choose just the one watch though, it would be a dress watch.

The older aqua-terra is the better work watch, in fact for me its the better watch all round.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    The Aquaterra is a good call. I tried a quartz one before picking up my IWC Mk XVI, currently on a summer rubber tropic. It's smart, but not as far as dressy and works well dressed down too...

Ant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The older aqua-terra is the better work watch, in fact for me its the better watch all round.
    Totally agree. The only watch is really regret flipping is a blue dial AT 2500

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    The Aquaterra is a good call. I tried a quartz one before picking up my IWC Mk XVI, currently on a summer rubber tropic. It's smart, but not as far as dressy and works well dressed down too...

Ant

Great looking watch....

The Speedie is my office watch.

Blog Entries
    Quite often I wear my Dornbluth, if I'm going to be out and about I may wear the EZM2. Occasionally the Marine Chronometer if I'm feeling retro...

But probably 75% of the time I wear the Explorer. Perfect for my work, in the office, on a construction site or out on the aerodrome.

Rob

Blog Entries
    I have never owned a Rolex but the explorer 1 seems to me the perfect watch for work...

Here's my usual rotation:

Banned
    I wear my SD for work and play and everything else. Cant think of a situation when it doesnt work perfectly.

in fact i let my AT and a few others go because they were not getting any wrist time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    Here's my usual rotation:

a really nice combo...

Grand Master
    I worked in the chemical industry, with quite a few eccentric intellectuals. Can`t remember many people ever wearing decent watches. Despite having sizeable incomes most people were not very materialistic and tended ......the culture was the opposite of 'flash'! Very few people ever noticed what I wore.

Paul

Journeyman
    Explorer I in the office.....so understated it keeps everyone's mind on things in meetings......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I worked in the chemical industry, with quite a few eccentric intellectuals. Can`t remember many people ever wearing decent watches. Despite having sizeable incomes most people were not very materialistic and tended ......the culture was the opposite of 'flash'! Very few people ever noticed what I wore.

Paul
    Paul,

I am office based and work in Finance. I have worn a number of watches to work over the years. The best allrounder is my AT8500 closely followed by a blue AT2500.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Paul,

I am office based and work in Finance. I have worn a number of watches to work over the years. The best allrounder is my AT8500 closely followed by a blue AT2500.

When you say AT I assume you mean Aqua Terra?

Been trying to convince my work colleague to go for one of them for work since he likes Omega. Keep telling him his Seamaster Chrono on a rubber strap is unacceptable with a shirt and tie. chump...

I dont understand all this office watch business, just wear whatever you fancy and be thankful you can wear a watch at work!

For office work, something smart in steel but not too blingy or complicated would seem appropriate. Could be bracelet or leather strap I think.

Eg. Rolex Explorer I, Datejust, JLC Reverso, Master Control or PP Nautilus would be my choices.

In reality you can get away with almost anything nowadays though.

The ideal office-work watch should have an alarm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I get it, i don't feel too comfortable in diver at work as I think they are too 'casual' even though i work in a fairly laid back and a not very 'high flying' environment. I always wear a suit as i like to dress smart for work and usually wear a chrono on bracelet or leather, at the moment either a vintage omega, zenith or seiko. Don't know if a chrono is actually smarter than a diver but i think so and i don't have a 'dress' watch!

Blog Entries
    I tend to go through stages.....

Had a phase earlier this year rot'ing the 14060, PO and B-2, but the last couple of months it has been MIL all the way.
    I had a Vietnam era Benrus DTU drop a few weeks ago so it's that, G10 and RN Diver on a GGB.

Funny thing is the only other one in the box a 6424 Oyster Precision I seem to have fell out of love with and it is arguably the nicest on the wrist.

Paul

Master
    I tended to need day/date combinations for work as I never knew what day it was (that's probably why I retired!) so I tended towards one of these:-

Or:-

Now I wear anything I damn well please! ................... and I still don't know what day it is!

Mike

Master
    I am envious, I don't get to wear a wristwatch at work. WIS fob watch anyone?

Dave

Sadly, virtually nobody knows or cares what watch you wear. They have no interest, and as such, you can wear whatever you like. I wear all of mine for work from Patek to Poljot and nobody has noticed, or commented on, any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Sadly, virtually nobody knows or cares what watch you wear. They have no interest, and as such, you can wear whatever you like
    I'm of the same opinion. I'm office based and wear whatever takes my fancy that day. But I do make the conscious effort to chuck the AT8500 on if I know I'm meeting a client that day.

Unless the work environment poses a risk to the watch, one could wear almost anything.
    I wear all my watches to work (not at the same time) including Charmex 20,000.

Master
    My current favourite for work...smart, elegant, classy, comfortable, discreet...perfect.

As I'm retired, I wear what I like when I like.

Mind you, I wore what I liked when I liked when I was working.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I usually wear the same watch whilst working

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Sadly, virtually nobody knows or cares what watch you wear. They have no interest, and as such, you can wear whatever you like. I wear all of mine for work from Patek to Poljot and nobody has noticed, or commented on, any of them.
    Yes, hardly anyone notices, but I wear my watches for myself. So, I don't mind.

Started a new job yesterday and, as the office's in London, I wore my Tissot PRC200 (Cheap enough that if I get mugged I won't worry, but still quite smart - I'm not actually that paranoid about London ).

Like a couple of earlier posters I really don't get this 'right watch for the office', but there are a few which are too bulky under a shirt sleeve, so on the odd occasion I wear a suit, I wear a smaller, dressier watch, but more for comfort.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    I dont understand all this office watch business, just wear whatever you fancy and be thankful you can wear a watch at work!
    ...yes, I guess I do take my job for granted sometimes - getting close to retirement and wondering how much I will miss it - well the people in particular.

Working in an office means anything goes watchwise from and old digital G-Shock to Speedy or Sub (and I know whatever I choose, no-one - except me - takes any notice!)

Hi all. I wear a Christopher Ward C60 GMT diver. I think you can get away with a classic diver. I also have an Orient M Force on a super engineer strap but I tend to stay away from that in the office unless its a casual clothes day!

Blog Entries
    It is more of a personal preference around not wearing divers at work.

It is not a sartorial issue.

Some great examples of watches on this thread.
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 18th June 2013 at 08:13.

The Damasko DA36 is ideal.... bang it against office doors etc. Done it at work with mine and hasn't marked at all!

Rod

Blog Entries
    Shogun, Kingston, etc etc................

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

In my previous job there were quite a few of us who liked and discussed watches frequently. I'd say most wore either seamasters or subs, some TAGs, an occasional Oris or JLC. However, even though it was a pretty posh office, you didn't see many dress watches. Maybe because many were ex-military and stuck with their divers. Swedes are not the most stylish people on the planet, either ... ;-)

I guess my point is that there are offices where the actually notice what you wear. And IMO the AT is a great choice ...

Master
    SS is fine, but please not chunky, and on leather. And for god's sake, match the strap with belt and shoes.

Here's my work watch, chose it over the Explorer or a AT as I prefer the design and the finish. Here with my work pen!

Grand Seiko SBGR053 with Sailor fountain pen

Journeyman
    gotta love a good pen

Master
    Tend to agree that an AT is just about the perfect work watch, as is the Explorer 1, except for the lack of date. Having neither, I mainly wear my Dunhill Traveller, which despite the name is very much an "office" GMT but with three time zones, which I find strangely handy, even though I have all my fingers and my counting skills are more than adequate. It is a similarly sensible size to the AT and Explorer though. When feeling slightly smarter I wear the Max Bill Chronoscope, which is far less useful but slightly more lovely.

Tends to be this

Gray

Red face

its seems to solely be a heuer quartz diver nowadays - my workmates reckon they had teh same watch as 13 yr old school boys....i like it, its a classic make, looks great on a stripey nato, different from all the flash that i see and i dont worry about it on teh tube on teh journey home. perfect. oh and as a quartz i dont have to worry if its stopped or not...

I don't really have a work watch - wear pretty much whatI want in the office - although will be a beater if on site.

Last week's office watch was a PRS 18Q on RNVR NATO.
    This week is my Longines Hydroconquest Chrono.

Looks OK with a shirt:

And even fits under the cuffs:

I will happily wear a diver to work, but my explorer II tends to get more of a look in

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371578640.774435.jpg

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wear a speedie pro on a tan ostrich strap for work (also in an office).

Journeyman
    I wear my Bremont Solo, it looks good with both a suit and casual attire but I tend to change the strap - leather for work, kevlar or nylon for play.

Just got a new one to add to the rotation, arrived today. Vintage Longines.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    My current favourite for work...smart, elegant, classy, comfortable, discreet...perfect.

Same +1