closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: American Style Fridge/Freezer recommendations

American Style Fridge/Freezer recommendations

Hi guys,
    We're looking to create a bit more storage space in our kitchen until we get it completely redone later this year/next year.

First thing I want to do is ditch the (grotty/old) integrated fridge/freezer and re-use the cupboard for storage with shelves & wire racks.

We've got plenty of 'dead' space in which to put a new sparkly American Style fridge/freezer - which with being lower will also be more use to my wife who's in a wheelchair as she currently can't get to most of the shelves in the current one.

Have seen THIS which looks good value, and have had Beko stuff in the past with no problems.

Or, providing I get a move on for the cash-back I quite like THIS Samsung.

Any other recommendations? Looking ideally up to a max of £600.

Not fussed about water dispenser (unless it's self contained) as I can't be bothered with the plumbing/hassle.
    TIA

Craftsman
    We have had a SMEG for the last 10 years. Really cool retro thing that does the job - but they are expensive and a bit bulky but they look good.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Seems to be their older appliances - but thanks for the heads up; Samsung looking a bit more favourable now!

Master
    Keep an eye on the energy efficiency too, some of the new ones have stunning ratings. Mum and Dad's new Bosch (admittedly not a US style one) is an amazing £15/year to run.

Master
    I bought this one and have been very pleased with it. It was the only one I could find that would fit in the limited space I had.
    One thing I did notice is that the freezer is almost always quite a lot smaller than the fridge in these American style appliances, and if you get an ice dispenser it takes up a huge amount of that already limited space, as well as requiring plumbing in.

we bought Beko despite the scare stories. this was to replace a 19 year old American fridge

this model: http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/pr...eel-25185.aspx

we went to see a lot and the traditional side by side ones have very narrow freezers.... with 3 growing lads we tend to cook huge quantities and freeze stuff that needs a wide freezer.

Hence we went for this design that is far more flexible. The fridge is massive.... the lighting is excellent and there is a section of the freezer you can re-designate at the touch of a button to a fridge

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    we bought Beko despite the scare stories
    Seriously?

i have a samsung with the ice and water dispenser, it filters the water as well, best purchase i ever made!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Seriously?
    Yep. Call me a fatalist, but I'm the kinda person who thinks the safest time to fly is the day after an aircrash !!

Check out Ikea 'fridge drawer', we redid our kitchen recently and went for this option, 2 low level drawers that look like all the others, we moved the fridge freezer into the garage as a beer / wine fridge.....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    No room for one in our current house, but we had a SMEG one in the last place.
    Did the job well enough, after I managed to talk her out of buying the pink one!

Samsung side by side in manhattan silver for me, looks the dogs and well worth going the extra mile and plumbing in the water feed for cool filtered water and ice that's always there whenever you fancy a g&t... ;)

this one...

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-rsh...ver/p231451826

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Yep. Call me a fatalist, but I'm the kinda person who thinks the safest time to fly is the day after an aircrash !!
    Flying is far safer than buying a Beko appliance!

Craftsman
    I would avoid Philips, the control panel went faulty on ours after 5 years and we ended up scrapping it.

Craftsman
    I'd also recommend you consider energy efficiency. We bought a Siemens about two years ago with a ++A rating I reckon it's paid for itself by now.

Craftsman
    Recently refurbed a whole house and went for this Samsung after lots of hunting.

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...fridge-freezer

Fantastic bit of kit, and you can go through Quidco for some cashback (if they ever get around to confirming it). The water / ice dispenser is great and although it doesn't look too massive there seems to be acres of space. One of the shelves folds back if you want to put bottles upright as well.

Master
    I would think long and hard before buying a Samsung American fridge freezer, there is a known fault with the initial RS21 range (fridge freezer side by side), see attached link:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/applia..._watchdog.html

My one has started to show these symptoms, the advice we have had is that this problem will re-occur, and there are similar problems on newer models. It is also showing some stress related cracks, which were not there when we bought it new for c £1,100 5 years ago.

Not at all impressed

I've had two Samsung American-style fridge-freezers in the past. Both turned out to have the defrosting issues mentioned above (basically the fan gets ice on it and stops working).

The first was fixed by Samsung about three years after buying it when they contacted me with information about the fault and a number to call to arrange free repair.
    The second was fixed when it broke and I called them up - initially they refused to help but I made a fuss about having had the same issue before (and that last time they told me about it before it had even happened and fixed it free of charge) and they relented... So in my experience their design and build quality has not improved, but they are less keen on customer service and more on denial.

I'm now on my third (came with the new house) and I will see how it goes...

Master
    I had no idea that there was such a thing as an "American style" refrigerator. A google search of "UK style refrigerator" isn't instructive. What do your normal refrigerators look like?

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I had no idea that there was such a thing as an "American style" refrigerator. A google search of "UK style refrigerator" isn't instructive. What do your normal refrigerators look like?
    The common type is this sort:

'American Style' mainly refers to the side by side configuration - which has a fair bit more capacity than the over & under type.

I like the Americans but with those integrated styles if one part conks out you have to dump the whole thing.

BTW another Beko hater here.

Bought a fridge and freezer at the same time and both conked out a few days after the guarantee ran out.

Pony.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Apart from the smaller freezer section mentioned above, my biggest gripe is that due to the nature of the deep doors, the hinges tend to be a bit weird and the whole thing sticks out too far. I much prefer separate side by side full height larder and freezers. The top of the range Siemens ones with black/grey glass doors look the business.

Master
    I have one like this but it is an LG brand not a Whirlpool as the pictured one. I wouldn't recommend LG haven't had much luck with their products but the refrigerator style/configuration is perfect lots more space than what you have pictured and easier access to heavy frozen items. What better than an American recommendation.

Master
    Hi Chris

We have a Beko which we got from appliances on-line and I have to say I am well impressed for the money!! The serviuce was also excellent and plus when we called them they actually knew what they were talking about unlike the muppets in Currys....

Here is a link to the model we have -

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/pr...eel-24463.aspx

It does need plumbed water but in all honesty the extra little bit of work involved is well worth it as it does Ice cube, crushed ice and chilled water all from the mains...... our kids have never liked water so much since we got it :-)

Paul