closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intermittent fasting

I'm now coming up to the end of the second month and I have lost 18lbs.

I actually put 3 back on a couple of weeks ago as was away for the weekend but I recovered from that gain the week after. So in a way it knocked me back 2 weeks.

I thoroughly enjoy doing it and sometimes look forward to a fast day. I'm working away a lot at the moment so it's not as easy as when at home but I'm still managing it ok.

I have found myself feeling hungrier this week than I normally do but I'm still doing well overall. It's pretty surprising how much you can have sometimes even when fasting.

Intermittent fasting

My wife is doing it and has lost about 7kg in five weeks. She has also cut out biscuits on non-fasting days. She's finding it pretty easy and has also noticed she feels full more quickly on non-fasting days, so is also eating less overall than before. One happy lady.

after watching the program I thought I might have a go. spoke to my gp about the idea and he was dead against it so I didn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by allaninspain View Post
    spoke to my gp about the idea and he was dead against it
    On what grounds?

Journeyman
    lost 10kg in 2 months with a 2 week holiday in there too which I gained 1 kg, back on it next week and training for a half marathon now

Master
    I don't seem to be having much success with it. Been doing it for 5 weeks and lost about 4-5lbs. Not sure why because I am active and don't eat particularly badly on the non fasting days. Strange

Re: Intermittent fasting

I suppose it depends on your starting weight and fat levels as well as whether your general diet is any good or not as to how much weight you lose?

Grand Master

Intermittent fasting

Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    I don't seem to be having much success with it. Been doing it for 5 weeks and lost about 4-5lbs. Not sure why because I am active and don't eat particularly badly on the non fasting days. Strange
    You're not alone nick I've had better weightloss program's but its a personal thing I guess. It's not worked great for me to get to a racing weight so ill just up the miles and drop the carbs as that can't fail
    RIAC

Everyone's different so you need to try a few things and see what works for you. Start weight is a huge factor in pounds lost over time, it's easier to drop a few lb if there was more there to start with!

I've personally made a few simple lifestyle changes this year, cut out the weekend takeaways, laid off the beer during the week and started using MyFitnessPal to keep tabs on my intake. Cooking fresh dinners every day instead of buying pre packaged stuff etc, and upped my exercise to having a run 2-3 times a week.

No real effort to do it and it doesn't feel like a hardship - I'm now 16lb lighter than I was after new year

Master
    Cheers, will see how it goes then. I have a fair bit of muscle in the legs/arms etc from playing football/cycling so maybe it will take longer for me to lose some weight. I feel a bit slimmer so maybe the numbers aren't telling the whole truth! I do feel more alert though and echo the sentiments that you feel fuller quicker..

Anyone had any experience with eating properly and exercising to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    See my post just above - started at 13st 4lbs after new year and now 12st 1 as of this morning

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    See my post just above - started at 13st 4lbs after new year and now 12st 1 as of this morning
    Nice one

Master
    Anyone had any experience with exercising?
    Doesn't seem like it..

Yes but experience shows me that it is easier to not take in the calories in the first place!

I did my New Year health kick as outlined in this post.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ar-health-kick

Apart from the no-booze, it wasn't too difficult, and I dropped the 1 stone over about 4 weeks, I'm in the 10.5st range, and my 32" kecks are fitting fine now. As I said in my post, I've done this a few times over the past 5/6 years. It's quite easy to put a few pounds on again, but the trick is try and maintain a couple of low-calorie days on a regular basis and not get too carried away on regular days, as keeping weight off is a lot easier than losing it.

Intermittent fasting

This is fascinating stuff - thanks, I'm definitely going to give it a go!

This is my third week on this.....

I lost two pounds the first week and a big fat fuck all the second!

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    This is my third week on this.....

I lost two pounds the first week and a big fat fuck all the second!
    I'm not bothered about weight but in my third week, my trousers are definitely looser which is a result.

Still going strong myself. 24.4lbs since 2nd January.

Really enjoying it. Another half a stone for me and that's as far as I want to go I think although will do the maintaining one day fast I think. Stick at it, it's really good.

I'm not bothered about weight but in my third week, my trousers are definitely looser which is a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Still going strong myself. 24.4lbs since 2nd January.

Really enjoying it.

Bastids!!

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    ....Stick at it, it's really good.
    Cheers mate.....

Journeyman

Intermittent Fasting

I've also been IF for a month or so and find the results pretty good, and much easier than living on tiny diet portions 7 days a week.

The only problem I find is what to break the fast with?
    It seems as soon as I consume anything,it rapidly comes out the other end!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonbed View Post
    I've also been IF for a month or so and find the results pretty good, and much easier than living on tiny diet portions 7 days a week.

The only problem I find is what to break the fast with?
    It seems as soon as I consume anything,it rapidly comes out the other end!
    Interesting - it is the opposite problem that I have!

Master

+1

I have gone one belt hole less and lost most of the "love handles" after 5 weeks.

To be fair though I have started working out BEFORE breakfast which also seems to have helped........but I don't know for sure.

B

Master
    It isn't working for me - and I'm over 17stone. I must be compensating be eating more on my "normal" days.
    I've tried exercising but it just makes me really hungry. I seem to be wired to be fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    +1

I have gone one belt hole less and lost most of the "love handles" after 5 weeks.

To be fair though I have started working out BEFORE breakfast which also seems to have helped........but I don't know for sure.

B
    I'm not sure about fasted workouts. I do it with cardio but I think I would just crash out with fasted heavy weight lifting.

Not directly connected with this topic but still interesting was yesterday's BBC programme Bang Goes the Theory, dealing this week with sugar.
    They found a paediatrician who was in his 40s, teetotal, thin as a rake, keen exerciser, fit as fiddle yet who had developed non-alcohol fatty liver disease. He put it down to munching chocolates delighted new mums had given his team. He was totally atypical of those who do develop this condition and served only to scare viewers and be less impartial in reporting the facts. If a couple of chocs a day is going to give people that condition then there is no hope for anyone.

Odd how white sugar, which is simply and easily crystallised out of beat is more harmful than the totally man-made artificial sweeteners.
    I tried half-and-half granulated stuff and found it an effective laxative.

Master
    I'm not sure about fasted workouts. I do it with cardio but I think I would just crash out with fasted heavy weight lifting.
    Your quite right I didn't explain properly - the pre-breakfast workouts are (time wise)half aerobic and half mild resistance ie set reps not to exhaustion point and weight limit. I think I would also get to faint point if doing the heavies and that is dangerous if you are on your own.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Your quite right I didn't explain properly - the pre-breakfast workouts are (time wise)half aerobic and half mild resistance ie set reps not to exhaustion point and weight limit. I think I would also get to faint point if doing the heavies and that is dangerous if you are on your own.

B
    I agree, but people do it - google 'leangains'. Apparently after your body no longer expects food in the morning, you get used to it. I'd rather do 5:2 or a variance of it than miss breakfast every day...

Craftsman
    I agree, but people do it - google 'leangains'. Apparently after your body no longer expects food in the morning, you get used to it. I'd rather do 5:2 or a variance of it than miss breakfast every day...
    Yeah, I do fasted Body Beast workouts when I first get up and I IF until lunch and you soon get used to it.

Cheers

T

Seven weeks since I started the thread and the diet and I have lost 7KGs pretty effortlessly (89 to 82KG). This is following the diet and going to the gym 3 times a week but very light cardio and weights (all I can do rehabbing the knee).

I actually really enjoy the fasting days in a bizarre way, the challenge and discipline of it. I enjoy my food much more on all days. My appetite (and stomach) has definitely shrunk and I find I have almost zero cravings for 'bad' foods.

Big thumbs up.

Journeyman

Been on it since mid January 2013 (10 weeks) and lost almost 16lbs! Result!

Well, I was thinking of starting this thread! You beat me to it - excellent!

Got a couple of mins whilst some PC files are copying, so thought I'd amuse myself on here over a cup of tea!

I saw the documentary, then I was in Waterstones in early Jan and bought his co-authored book:

The Fast Diet, by...
    Dr Michael Mosley & MiMi Spencer
    ISBN: 978-1-78072-167-5

For whatever the reason, it just works.

I'm minded to combine it with the d'Adamo blood group based diet (Eat Right 4 Your Type) which also worked for me and that will add a health aspect. So if you're a type O you'll need to eat meat if you're a type A you're more suited to fish, foul, not red meat etc. This also worked for me but as it was a little like the Atkins in terms of reduced carbs, I did not stick with it. I can still bring a little of it in and not eat certain foods that d'Adamo say's to 'Avoid'. It's very interesting and he's a lot of (OK so it's anecdotal) evidence to suggest it has helped a lot of people who were ill. Me? I just tried it to see if the weight would disappear - it did, so there's every chance the health benefits are there too.

On the other hand I've zero issues with staying on the good Dr Mosley's diet! It works for me and it should work for anyone.

I'd be interested to know about any failures with the fast diet? Other than the OH. Mind you, she cheats and does not stick to the 2 day reduced calories so that does not count as failure, other than her own!

PS I do absolutely zero exercise. My job is in IT so most days I'm sat behind a desk.
    Last edited by LeighG; 26th March 2013 at 16:59.

Journeyman

That rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Seven weeks since I started the thread and the diet and I have lost 7KGs pretty effortlessly (89 to 82KG). This is following the diet and going to the gym 3 times a week but very light cardio and weights (all I can do rehabbing the knee).

I actually really enjoy the fasting days in a bizarre way, the challenge and discipline of it. I enjoy my food much more on all days. My appetite (and stomach) has definitely shrunk and I find I have almost zero cravings for 'bad' foods.

Big thumbs up.
    That's an amazing result. Perhaps I should start to exercise. Wait... I just lost a micro calorie by thinking about exercise - does that count?

Taken me longer but it's easy to stick to and I really don't get that hungry on the 2 days when I'm fasting, so it's a win-win.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    Maybe look at including some of the d'Adamo 'Avoids' in his 'Eat Right 4 Your Type' book. The fast diet is working for me but I kind of know what to avoid & luckily for me they are mainly foods that I don't like! I still eat carbs but not on my fast days and certain other 'Avoids' too but so far it's not impacting on my weight loss.

If you take milk and sugar in your tea / coffee then maybe if you're not already doing that, drop those drinks on your fast days.

Good luck and I hope you find the right combination that works for you.

Anyone still on this?

I've now lost 31lbs since 2nd January. Absolutely revitalised my life to be honest. I've actually lost 2.5lbs this week - yet I went out round London Tuesday night as was at the footy and had a chicken kebab at the end, went out Thursday to see Micky Flanagan and had a curry then went out again yesterday, out all day for footy and had a pizza last night!

How I've lost this week I'll never know! The above isn't my usual week - but I'm just stunned.

I'm the lowest weight I've been probably for 15 years.

Yup still on it. Haven't recorded weight loss but very happy with trousers fitting better at the waist. Haven't lost any strength either except maybe for with the deadlift which I now struggle with more. Looking forward to losing some more fat around the middle...

Master
    Yup - 22lbs* since the beginning of the year. Still eat totally unhealthily the other five days ! Massive kebab & chips on Fri after a pub session, 1.5 rack of ribs midweek and I'm still losing weight!

(*10kgs = 10 bags of sugar, I was 'sad' enough to go to Tesco & load up two baskets... can't believe I was lugging that load around 24/7!)

Master
    Gone from 13st7lbs to 12st 9lbs in five weeks. All I do is cut out bread, this also means no butter or cheese. Then porridge every morning, in the evening nothing that you can't eat with chopsticks. Sounds funny but chopsticks slow your intake down, hence giving the stomach time to shout enough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    Gone from 13st7lbs to 12st 9lbs in five weeks. All I do is cut out bread, this also means no butter or cheese. Then porridge every morning, in the evening nothing that you can't eat with chopsticks. Sounds funny but chopsticks slow your intake down, hence giving the stomach time to shout enough.
    Not intermittent fast though is it ?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but curious as to how you are all doing?

I've been working out since Feb and although packed on a lot of muscle and upper body strength I'm still yet to shift that little beer belly!

Ive been advised by a few people to try this, including my PT, but worried it may interfere with my progress.

so, stories?

I've majorly plateaud but am carrying on. I've been using this 18 months now though and finding it a little harder. I'm also struggling to exercise due to time but need a kick up the back side.

Plus points are I've kept off the 2 and a half stone I lost last year which is a good thing. It's enjoyable to be honest imo once you get used to it.

http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objecti...t-fasting.html

print this and give it to your pt. If he hasnt read it before then ignore his advice. IF does get results, but its a flash way of controlling calorific intake. As you excercise your insulin tolerance will be on the better end of the spectrum anyway so you probably dont need IF. If you're bulking up then generally your diet supports that and its very very tough to bulk and cut, regardless of what any bro at the gym says.

Choose your goal, either bulk or cut. If you want to lose weight then weigh yourself tomorrow morning, take a topless photo, cut 200 cals from your diet a day and get back on the scales in a weeks time, in the morning and compare photos.. If you have lost weight then happy days, stick with the reduction. If not, then cut another 150. Repeat as necessary.

Master
    I plateaued also after about 8 months after losing 30lbs.
    Still doing but perhaps not quite so religiously... Disappointed a bit that I couldn't lose a bit more but quite content I've stopped inexorably putting weight on, and I'm also the lightest I've been for 15-20 years!
    I'll stick with it (when convenient) because I quite relish the discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    I plateaued also after about 8 months after losing 30lbs.
    Still doing but perhaps not quite so religiously... Disappointed a bit that I couldn't lose a bit more but quite content I've stopped inexorably putting weight on, and I'm also the lightest I've been for 15-20 years!
    I'll stick with it (when convenient) because I quite relish the discipline.
    That's me to a tee that - every point!

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but curious as to how you are all doing?
    Lost over 30lb so far on IF + paleo.

Lost five KG and then have put 2.5 KG on as muscle...

Changed from 5:2 to an eight hour feeding window and doing fasted training in the morning as it fits better with my routine, not as dramatic effects but works for maintenance. Still do the odd 24 hour fast occasionally.

Dropped the 5:2 regime for the summer as I am more active in the garden and house maint.
    Weight steady between 175-177 lbs giving BMI of 24.8.
    Winter weight was 187 lbs but went down to 174 lbs on 5:2 between end of Jan and end of April.