closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing of Speedy Pro

Servicing of Speedy Pro

Could someone please tell me the recommended servicing interval of a Speedy Pro with the cal 1861.
    Is a hand wind movement more or less difficult to service that an automatic? Finally, are parts readily available for the 1861 and I gather any competent watchmaker could service it for less that SG Services?

Thanks for your time.

Hi there, recommended service interval will be approx 5 - 7 yr. although there are many that run just fine after 20 years of wearing.
    the cal 1861 is a pretty simple movement with parts readily available. Yes, any competent watchmaker should be able to service it for a very affordable price.

If you have a cal. 321 Pro, keep it well serviced: every five years or so.
    The parts for that calibre are rather hard to find!

I personally would NEVER advice someone to wear a watch for 20 years without servicing.

http://watchtech.watchprosite.com/sh...ti-827733/s-0/

http://watchtech.watchprosite.com/?s...815733&fi=1223
    Last edited by Bernard; 8th February 2013 at 10:08.

Thanks for the replys,

What difference would the metal brake of the 1863 vs the plastic brake of the 1861 make re: servicing.
    Does the non lubrication of the 1861 brake mean a better lifespan, and will both types of brake be readily available for a long time to come?

I guess I'm asking will a speedy last for a few generations if looked after?

I suppose the fact that there are a lot of vintage speedy's around answers that question!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Thanks for the replys,

What difference would the metal brake of the 1863 vs the plastic brake of the 1861 make re: servicing.
    Does the non lubrication of the 1861 brake mean a better lifespan, and will both types of brake be readily available for a long time to come?

I guess I'm asking will a speedy last for a few generations if looked after?

I suppose the fact that there are a lot of vintage speedy's around answers that question!

Thanks again.
    About every well made modern watch can outlive most of us, if maintained well and not worn in dangerous environments (construction work, drilling etc.).

The availability of delrin and metal brakes for the Speedy pro movements shouldn't be a problem.
    The delrin doesn't need lubrication as it is made from a self lubricating material.

Remember, you probably wont be pressing the buttons on your chrono all day long, so wear and tear of the brake won't be a real issue in my opinion.
    There are other parts that are having quite a bit of a harder life!

Master
    Just pray you dont need a new balance as prices have skyrocketed up to nearly £300 for those... ironically this sometimes will make it cheaper to send it to Omega directly, since they obviously do not have to pay those silly prices.

If properly maintained though it will just need a new mainspring and new gaskets & oilchange. Tractor movement just runs and runs!

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Just pray you dont need a new balance as prices have skyrocketed up to nearly £300 for those... ironically this sometimes will make it cheaper to send it to Omega directly, since they obviously do not have to pay those silly prices.

If properly maintained though it will just need a new mainspring and new gaskets & oilchange. Tractor movement just runs and runs!
    Yes, absolute madness, these prices.
    It is probably cheaper to get a decent watchmaker to turn a new balance, or search one on the bay.

Omega is trying to rip customers over these parts. The actual cost for a balance is a few quid at most.

Craftsman
    I recently bought a 5 year old Speedy (unworn, ex display) that had to be serviced as I found it was running 1 minute fast and that was because the lubricants had dried up. So definitely do at a 5 yr interval I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Yes, absolute madness, these prices.
    It is probably cheaper to get a decent watchmaker to turn a new balance, or search one on the bay.

Omega is trying to rip customers over these parts. The actual cost for a balance is a few quid at most.
    Price is for a complete balance and hairspring which is hard to make yourself :) But yes prices are still high, this movement has been made in abundance so there should be plenty of stock left...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward77 View Post
    I recently bought a 5 year old Speedy (unworn, ex display) that had to be serviced as I found it was running 1 minute fast and that was because the lubricants had dried up. So definitely do at a 5 yr interval I think.
    Ex display watches have had a very hard life movement-wise.
    They are constantly placed under warm lights, which will often lead to oil that dries out or migrates.
    A normal watch, worn in rotation, might be fine when serviced once every 5-7 years.

Price is for a complete balance and hairspring which is hard to make yourself :) But yes prices are still high, this movement has been made in abundance so there should be plenty of stock left...
    Ah, ok, that makes quite a difference.
    I have recently bought a Speedmaster 321 and did buy a spare staff for approx. 15 Euro.
    Usually, you can reuse the balance wheel and hairspring.

Thanks for all the great info! Now, does anyone have a Speedy they want to sell?

Thanks for all the great info! Now, does anyone have a Speedy they want to sell?
    I would advice against just buying "a Speedy".
    Read as much about it as you can, decide if you want a modern or a vintage one. Do you want one from a specific year?
    Do you want one with the crownprotectors or not? What's your budget?

(2915, 2998, 105.002, 105.003, 105.012, 145.012, 3570.50)

If you have figured out these things, go and look for a nice example.

I would advice against just buying "a Speedy".
    Read as much about it as you can, decide if you want a modern or a vintage one. Do you want one from a specific year?
    Do you want one with the crownprotectors or not? What's your budget?

(2915, 2998, 105.002, 105.003, 105.012, 145.012, 3570.50)

If you have figured out these things, go and look for a nice example.
    Sorry I should have been more specific, I've narrowed it down to a modern 3570.50. or a 3573.50. Think I would prefer the 3573.50 though.

http://www.dezinvanluxe.nl/nl/forum/10/19169

Above you can see one on a Dutch forum. I'm not affiliated with the seller by the way.

Sorry, it is sold! Missed the second message...

EDIT:
    I believe you need to have 250 posts or more before you are allowed to ask for watches (in WTB) and before you get access to for sale...
    Last edited by Bernard; 8th February 2013 at 17:04.

http://www.dezinvanluxe.nl/nl/forum/10/19169

Above you can see one on a Dutch forum. I'm not affiliated with the seller by the way.

Sorry, it is sold! Missed the second message...

EDIT:
    I believe you need to have 250 posts or more before you are allowed to ask for watches (in WTB) and before you get access to for sale...
    Thanks for that Bernard. That one would have been perfect! I have also seen one on wus, but the warranty card doesn't seem to have a serial number printed on it. Would that be unusual?

p.s I can access for sale, I just can't post there.

Thanks for that Bernard. I have also seen one on wus, but the warranty card doesn't seem to have a serial number printed on it. Would that be unusual?

p.s I can access for sale, I just can't post there.

Most welcome!

The question is: do you care about the warranty card?
    My father in law has bought expensive watches (18k pink gold Omega Speedmaster triple date, 18k gold JLC reverso) and he just threw the warranty cards away as soon as he unpacked the watches (I know, I told him not to, but he is just as stubborn as his daughter! He doesn't give a flying f*ck about this kind of plastic as he "doesn't intend to sell...").

The watches are still nice, high end watches. They are bought from AD's, they just aren't accompanied by these pieces of plastic.

Frankly, I couldn't care less, but for some potential buyers it could be a turnoff.
    So, you have to ask yourself the following questions: do you care about these pieces of plastic (that didn't come with the watch until the 90's) and do you intend to sell?

About the warranty cards: they often are incomplete, I once got a wrong one with an Omega (I got a Seamaster card, but was buying a DeVille, it was sorted a day later, when I returned to the jeweller). There are so many things that can go wrong. If the watch is the real deal, I personally wouldn't care too much.

If needed is a new balance and hairspring included if its sent to Omega for a service?

If needed is a new balance and hairspring included if its sent to Omega for a service?
    At an additional price, yes.
    For a 321 Speedmaster on leather strap it will cost you 910 Sfr for the service plus some 300 quid for the balance complet if the price 744ER mentions is correct.

The 861-versions are quite a bit cheaper.