closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My PC wont connect, tech brains required please!

My PC wont connect, tech brains required please!

My lad was playing a game on cartoon network yesterday, and it stopped loading. After that, nothing much will connect, it just times out. i rang eclipse ( my service prov.). They tested the line, took me through testing the pind via the 'run' 'cmd' thingy, that workd fine. Tried using chrome instead of int. explorer, the chrome loads, but thats it, stops there, wont load a search.

Im using xp serv. pack. 3

Did they have you ping a name like google.com or an address like 123.234.123.213?

What does nslookup www.google.com come back with?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Grand Master
    RIAC

Master
    ^^^ Wot 'E Sed ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Did they have you ping a name like google.com or an address like 123.234.123.213?

What does nslookup www.google.com come back with?

Hi Stoo
    Yes they had me ping, google and bbc, which all cam back fine, av. 30mps. Dont know what nslookup is, wiki just confused me more...

Well it's probably not a DNS issue then. It could be a firewall thing, but windows ain't my strong point.

Try a router reset, then a malware scan.

if pinging urls is working then the router is fine so resetting it isn't going to help.

Does this tell anyone anything helpful?
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings>ipconfig/all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gary-3cd2ccf218
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-6C-CE-FC-BF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 05 February 2013 20:58:04
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 February 2013 20:58:04
    C:\Documents and Settings>

Have changed the yellow modem to pc cable (no change)
    Im now running a full scan- looks like it will take a week!
    Last edited by sestrel; 5th February 2013 at 23:12.

Within Internet Explorer select Tools | Internet Options | Connections | LAN settings - assuming that you have a normal ADSL/cable connection then the only thing that should be ticked is 'Automatically Detect Settings.' If there is anything in there such as a proxy server (assuming you don't use one, and I'd pretty much guarantee you don't) then it's probably Malware.

It would be worth downloading the free copy of Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) and running a scan in Safe Mode on the problem computer.

Journeyman

Re: My PC wont connect, tech brains required please!

Do you have a firewall?

Master
    Sounds a lot like a firewall issue. Would disable it if present, then test.

Blog Entries
    Could be a zillion and one things. Perhaps the most time efficient thing you could do it get someone to come long and identify and fix the problem.

Not un-coincidentally that's the job I do, so I might be biassed. ;-)

(Sorry, don't cover Wales).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 6th February 2013 at 00:47. Reason: Fixed "Cardiff" typo

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    I'm wondering whether this could be a storage issue as you mention it's running on xp,check the your storage space and remove any recently downloaded programmes,normally if there's a virus the system starts behaving erratically,but from what you decribe it's just not loading the pages,if what i,ve suggested doesn,t work i can't really see what else you can do as you won't able to download a decent cleaner,you could try a partical reinstall where you can return it to the last known good configuration you can normally do this by pressing one of the f keys in my case would be f8 ,this would also allow you to do factory install if the latter doesn't work this would my preferred option.

If you do choose to go with this on reinstalling windows download malawarebytes and any other decent security run as many as you can but do this before letting the system run windows updates,or you could do what our freind above reccomends,but he'll more than likely reccomend a factory install and charge you around 60 quid for the privalige he,s right about one thing though it's all about time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    or you could do what our freind above reccomends,but he'll more than likely reccomend a factory install
    Err, no! I hardly ever recommend a "factory install". What I do is identify and then fix the actual problem, whilst retaining the user's data, settings and installed programs. It is really quite rare to genuinely need to reset anything to default or reinstall everything, although this is a seemingly easy option for many lazy techs (especially for telephone 'support' lines).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 6th February 2013 at 04:31.

Craftsman
    a bit of a silly question but are all websites not working or just the one you're trying for your daughter?

Have you thought about using system restore to a couple of days before this problem occured.

Well, I let kaspersky do a full scan, nothing found.
    Ive checked the automatically detect settings thing is ticked
    Ive loaded malware bites onto a flash and onto my pc, and its its scanning now. Same problem exists at present with all websites slowing to a stop in seconds.

Would kaspersky miss malware?

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Well, I let kaspersky do a full scan, nothing found.
    Ive checked the automatically detect settings thing is ticked
    Ive loaded malware bites onto a flash and onto my pc, and its its scanning now. Same problem exists at present with all websites slowing to a stop in seconds.

Would kaspersky miss malware?
    It could. But what you are seeing is not very consistant with malware m-o. Usually it would either be extorting money from you or doing something nefarious without you noticing.

Try these:

from run -> cmd

nslookup www.timefactors.com

(and post the output - it is possible that it is getting a response from DNS, but to somewhere else - it should show something like this:

$ nslookup www.timefactors.com

Server:
    Address: 208.67.222.222#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    www.timefactors.com canonical name = timefactors.com.
    Name: timefactors.com
    Address: 77.72.7.74
    Then try (run -> cmd)

$ telnet www.timefactors.com 80
    Trying 77.72.7.74...
    Connected to timefactors.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    get / <----- YOU TYPE THIS BIT
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    This will at least show if you can connect out on port 80 (www port) and show if it is likely a firewall or higher level app issue.

Have you had the carpet up recently ?
    Or done anything else that might have compromised the hardwire connection between phone line and router ?
    Furniture change ?

The fact that you can achieve an acceptable "ping" to selected test sites does not exclude the possibility of a compromised physical line - and the fact that sites load and then stall might indicate an inconsistent connection.

Just a thought - and a quick and easy check - just plug an old telephone handset in place of the router (at the router end of the cable) and make a call (to your mobile etc) and check for noise on line.

Worth a try ?

Im so glad I got some help from you guys, thanks very much, and, malwarebytes seemed to identify the problem.

It was one of these:
    Files Detected: 1
    C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\patch_3105.exe (RiskWare.Tool.HCK) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

No idea what it is/was, but now its gone,all 'seems' fingers crossed, back to normal. I noticed that when it wasnt working, my pc said cpu 100 % in use, so what ever it was, was using all of the cpu capacity.

I think it might have been in a 'cartoon network' game my son was playing, that was when things started to go wrong.
    Again, thanks for your brilliant input everyone who helped..

Master
    Download free advance system 6 then uninstall it and take the 90 days free ,run that it's an excellent program and will identify any problems ,whislt also cleaning your computer of malware and junk.
    http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Sy...-10407614.html
    Last edited by the big fella; 6th February 2013 at 13:38.

Im so glad I got some help from you guys, thanks very much, and, malwarebytes seemed to identify the problem.

It was one of these:
    C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\patch_3105.exe (RiskWare.Tool.HCK) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

No idea what it is/was, but now its gone,all 'seems' fingers crossed, back to normal. I noticed that when it wasnt working, my pc said cpu 100 % in use, so what ever it was, was using all of the cpu capacity.

I think it might have been in a 'cartoon network' game my son was playing, that was when things started to go wrong.
    Alcohol 120 is a handy CD burning tool. At one point it was the thing to have for that job. Maybe that version had been compromised.

It was one of these:

Great that it's sorted. In my opinion Malwarebytes is worth paying the small amount for so that you have real-time protection and the facility to schedule updates and scans. It does not interfere with most* AV/Security packages. This is particularly important when children are using your computer.

*Worth checking the forums of you AV provider - Kaspersky.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Great that it's sorted. In my opinion Malwarebytes is worth paying the small amount for so that you have real-time protection and the facility to schedule updates and scans. It does not interfere with most* AV/Security packages. This is particularly important when children are using your computer.

*Worth checking the forums of you AV provider - Kaspersky.
    Take care what your downloading as well,i've just downloaded a thing DJ Digital pro for the lad and the add ons sent avast into frenzy,but at least i know were the virus has come from,the kids games are also suspictous watch out for one called platypus,i'm also very wary of pricegong.
    Last edited by the big fella; 6th February 2013 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post

Wow well spotted! I slowly losing the idea that kaspersky is all its cracked up to be, this isnt impressive is it!