closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Super Bowl... Super Bore, more like!

Master

Super Bowl... Super Bore, more like!

I struggle to understand our media obsession with Super Bowl. Like most things out of the US, it's best avoided.

Mind you, I do remember being in the States around nine years ago when a Super Bowl final was taking place. I was in Knoxville, Tennessee at the time and on a Sunday afternoon with no particular place to go I ended up in a bar. Toddy's Back Door Tavern, I seem to recall. There was a group of guys who had obviously been on the lash for some considerable time. One of them was much the worse for wear and he was becoming really loud and even his drinking buddies were growing weary of his uncouth behaviour. The bar staff didn't have to refuse him any more to drink as by the time the big game started he was incapable of moving from his seat.

Fortunately he lapsed into a deep slumber and so folk were able to relax and watch the game instead of Redneck Boy's antics. But then he started to slip from his high backed chair and was unable to right himself. His friends put him back in position but he kept on keeling over. Then one of his pals found a roll of duct tape and decided to tape him to his seat. And it worked. He couldn't budge from that seat.

Everything was fine until he gave out a tremendous yawn and awoke from his slumbers with a sudden start. Perhaps he needed the bathroom because he attempted to stand up but the duct tape held firm. So he sat down and rocked himself backwards. The crack of his skull on the hard floor was truly sickening. His friends unbound him and put him back in his seat. He didn't seem to be in any great pain but the sensible thing would have been for him to be taken to hospital. But his friends weren't about to miss the Super Bowl for anything.

I've never been back to Knoxville since then. But Toddy's was a great bar and I also recommend the Preservation Pub in the same town.

Master
    Don't understand the game but it is a big money spinner over there. Like all sports time for someone to have fun and get drunk!

I understand it's one of those sports that is great when u are actually there.seems like the fun is in the barbies
    And booze well before the game.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I struggle to understand our media obsession with Super Bowl. Like most things out of the US, it's best avoided.

Mind you, I do remember being in the States around nine years ago when a Super Bowl final was taking place. I was in Knoxville, Tennessee at the time and on a Sunday afternoon with no particular place to go I ended up in a bar. Toddy's Back Door Tavern, I seem to recall. There was a group of guys who had obviously been on the lash for some considerable time. One of them was much the worse for wear and he was becoming really loud and even his drinking buddies were growing weary of his uncouth behaviour. The bar staff didn't have to refuse him any more to drink as by the time the big game started he was incapable of moving from his seat.

Fortunately he lapsed into a deep slumber and so folk were able to relax and watch the game instead of Redneck Boy's antics. But then he started to slip from his high backed chair and was unable to right himself. His friends put him back in position but he kept on keeling over. Then one of his pals found a roll of duct tape and decided to tape him to his seat. And it worked. He couldn't budge from that seat.

Everything was fine until he gave out a tremendous yawn and awoke from his slumbers with a sudden start. Perhaps he needed the bathroom because he attempted to stand up but the duct tape held firm. So he sat down and rocked himself backwards. The crack of his skull on the hard floor was truly sickening. His friends unbound him and put him back in his seat. He didn't seem to be in any great pain but the sensible thing would have been for him to be taken to hospital. But his friends weren't about to miss the Super Bowl for anything.

I've never been back to Knoxville since then. But Toddy's was a great bar and I also recommend the Preservation Pub in the same town.
    Just watched the first half highlights of Hibs v Aberdeen, didn't even make 60 seconds. Thats must be a quality sport in your book.
    30 minutes to kick off I cant wait. Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    Just watched the first half highlights of Hibs v Aberdeen, didn't even make 60 seconds. Thats must be a quality sport in your book.
    30 minutes to kick off I cant wait. Cheers
    Not sure why you think Hibs v Aberdeen would be my sport. No, Celtic are - and always will be - my team. Still, each to his own...

Master
    I feel the same about football, golf, rugby, and cricket.....would rather have my eyes nail gunned shut than watch them however I know others seem to enjoy each of those sports so i guess it's just as well the sporting world doesn't just cater to my tastes :-)

AF

Rugby for tarts

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    Because your location states Edinburgh and you would be supporting your local team.
    I thought Celtic was the team supported by the Irish, with true Scots in Glasgow supporting Rangers.
    Not wishing to be controversial in anyway I thought it was Celtic = Catholic ---- Rangers = Protestant .

I thought Celtic was the team supported by the Irish, with true Scots in Glasgow supporting Rangers.
    You're not from round here are you?

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    AF

Rugby for tarts
    Here here, after 3 outstanding Six Nations games it just came over a little flacid and dare I say a touch limp of wrist.

More news coverage about a singer with commodious buttocks than the actual game itself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzies View Post
    Not wishing to be controversial in anyway I thought it was Celtic = Catholic ---- Rangers = Protestant .
    So did I. They certainly sing a lot of pro IRA songs.

Superbowl = BBQ / piss-up / Pop concert with a bit of ball chasing in-between.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Superbowl = BBQ / piss-up / Pop concert with a bit of ball chasing in-between.
    And no football whatsoever, who in their right mind would name that sport football?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    I feel the same about football, golf, rugby, and cricket.....would rather have my eyes nail gunned shut than watch them however I know others seem to enjoy each of those sports so i guess it's just as well the sporting world doesn't just cater to my tastes :-)
    Same here, and you can add Tennis to that list. In fact - I don't like any ball-games whatsoever.

I actually enjoyed the game. Although the Superbowl is the only American Football I watch anymore. Still makes me laugh when I see the winners claim they are "World Champions" though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    You're not from round here are you?
    LOL

Master
    Because your location states Edinburgh and you would be supporting your local team.
    What planet did you beam down from? Planet Bigot, perchance?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    What planet did you beam down from? Planet Bigot, perchance?
    "Planet Bigot" why go so far, the West of Scotland does it 24/7

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Not sure why you think Hibs v Aberdeen would be my sport. No, Celtic are - and always will be - my team. Still, each to his own...
    OOPS forgot there was football outside the WOS.
    I mentioned that game to illustrate how shocking the state of Scottish football is.
    I say that as a Scot from outside the WoS, that thinks bigotry and religious hatred isn't part of the game.

Once you learn the rules American Football it is great.
    I watch a lot of Premier League football, but the American sport is superb.

Last nights Super Bowl was a classic, and even the half time show (never been a
    fan of Beyonce) was a stunning affair.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    And no football whatsoever, who in their right mind would name that sport football?
    Because its played on foot, rather than on horseback.

It was a great game last night, but you need to give it a chance rather than going straight for the "slow and too many commercials" angle. It also helps if you understand the rules a little, other wise it'll just be lost on you. It's a very different game to most sports, there's a lot more strategy to it than you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    Because its played on foot, rather than on horseback.

It was a great game last night, but you need to give it a chance rather than going straight for the "slow and too many commercials" angle. It also helps if you understand the rules a little, other wise it'll just be lost on you. It's a very different game to most sports, there's a lot more strategy to it than you'd think.
    Just finished watching it having avoided the result all day. Really enjoyed it, certainly one of the better games

Malc

I love the NFL and have been following it since the Bears won in '85.

Once you have the rules understood it is a great technical and tactical game. It also goes well with boozing with mates as the stoppages make conversation easy.

I'd take it over traditional footy every day and twice on Sundays. Now that really is a sport for tarts, divers and primadonas.

US sports are all glitz/glam, no substance IMO. Baseball is the same - I've been to a couple of games, and although the vibe and the razmataz are nice, the stop-start nature of the game is dull.

Basketball is the most watchable US sport. Ice hockey isn't bad, but that more a Canadian thing, apparently!

Super Bowl... Super Bore, more like!

I was converted to American football a couple of years ago when I went to Wembley to see New England Patriots take on Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Work had a load of tickets and I drew the short straw in having to take clients as no other colleague wanted to go.

Anyway once you understand the rules and that it is basically tactical warfare on a field, you really get into it. Beer + Cheerleaders + food + sport. What's not to like?

Also for those who say its rugby for tarts, yes whilst it's true there are helmets and more padding, the guys are also much bigger and heavier. But you can't compare like for like as American Football is a far more tactical sport. I for one enjoy it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Just finished watching it having avoided the result all day. Really enjoyed it, certainly one of the better games

Malc
    I booked the morning off work so I could stay up and watch it! I figured I'd accidentally find out the score otherwise by reading the news at lunch.