closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky Fibre, anyone using this?

Banned

Sky Fibre, anyone using this?

At the end of March our local exchange is due to offer fibre broadband. I noticed that the BT deals are mostly capped, but Sky Fibre which runs on the back of the BT kit are offering an unlimited service, so has anyone tried this service yet.

http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/bt-inf...bre-broadband/

Banned
    Nobody using this yet?

Craftsman

Re: Sky Fibre, anyone using this?

I'm using sky normal unlimited at the moment (as part of a package) and upgrading to fibre a week on Thursday.
    Get 5mbps now and been quoted 40mbps, so should be worthwhile. Really looking forward the increase the upload increase as well.
    My neighbours use the BT fibre and get good speed and very good ping times and all ISP's essentially use the same underlying equipment/network, I should be OK.
    Ill let you know how it goes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rehashlyrics View Post
    I'm using sky normal unlimited at the moment (as part of a package) and upgrading to fibre a week on Thursday.
    Get 5mbps now and been quoted 40mbps, so should be worthwhile. Really looking forward the increase the upload increase as well.
    My neighbours use the BT fibre and get good speed and very good ping times and all ISP's essentially use the same underlying equipment/network, I should be OK.
    Thanks for that, I'm really interested as I need the unlimited service, so if it's any good it will be the way to go for me.

Master
    I have had it for a month, speed instantly went from under 2 to over 20 meg download and from 0.5 to 5 for upload, no problems so far and the installation was quick and hassle free

Apprentice
    I'm getting it installed on 25th January. I'm on Virgin 100mb at the moment, but I don't really need it and the local virgin service has gone down 5 times in the last month.....

Master

Apologies, I saw this thread last night during a [very] brief moment of downtime at work but didn't get a chance to respond. We've had Sky Fibre Unlimited for some time and so far, so good!

We used to have Sky Broadband Unlimited but were only getting about 2.5 mbps at best and as little as 0.9 mbps at worst. The tipping point came when I discovered that I could get 10 mbps over 3G by tethering my iPhone to my iMac, that's as opposed to my "hardwired" broadband! Quite frankly I was disgusted but because we are locked into a contract with Sky and technically they were fulfilling their quoted speed of up to X mbps; "up to" being the operative words, they basically said it was tough.

Eventually I bit the bullet and decided to opt for Sky Fibre Unlimited for an extra £12.50 a month, and to be honest I haven't really looked back. The only slight issue we've encountered is that it tends to interfere with our Sky On Demand (formerly Anytime) functionality but it's not the end of the world.

I'm up in Birmingham until Wednesday so I can't tell you exactly what speeds we are currently getting but IIRC we get between 25-30 mbps down.

I'll give you a shout when I get home

Sorry (also) for the slow reply.

I'm using the Sky unlimited fibre service (and have been since September last year).

Opinions: brilliant! Cheaper than BT, installed by a BT openreach engineer, fast (40 meg down, 10 meg up - right from the first minute), good little WiFi router.

What more could you ask for?

Cheers,

Craftsman

An update on this.

I just had SKY fibre installed yesterday by the BT chap, nice fella, fairly quick and easy to install.
    Only issue is he had to move the master socket to be next to a 240 socket. Cup of tea later and he was done.

Took all of 20 minutes at my end and I think the broadband was only down for 1 to 2 hours max.

Old ADSL line gave me 5Mbps down and 0.7 Mbps up.
    Ran a few speed tests and was a little disappointed at 20Mbps down but 10Mbps up.
    But hey ho, I thought it was a very good speed bump.

I then discovered that as my laptop was connected over WiFi; THAT was the limiting factor, which if you think about it is bloody amazing.
    Plugged direct into into router with an Ethernet lead and bingo was his name oh.

New fibre gives me 40Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. (ping 43)
    :-) :-) :-)

I'm a very happy bunny.

Upload speed is astonishing when I think that at my old house I could only get 256Kbps

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    The only slight issue we've encountered is that it tends to interfere with our Sky On Demand (formerly Anytime) functionality but it's not the end of the world.
    Do you know why it interferes? What are the symptoms?

I've been on Sky Fibre for a couple of months now and had no problems what so ever 😃

40 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up from day one (from 1.5 Mbps).

Also got my Sky+ connected wirelessly and that works at treat with on demand.

Highly recommended so far and cheap too!

Currently using BT Infinity, getting increasing pissed off with BT, what are the benifits of moving to SKY, I already have the full TV package, If its using BT hardware presumably reliability is the same, is it that much cheaper?
    Any advice would be useful.
    Thx

Blog Entries

I've currently got BT unlimited (at about 8Mbps) but they messed me around once too often so I'm changing to virgin fibre 60Mb unlimited with domestic & international calls.

Due for installation on Friday.
    Will report back what I find.

z

Craftsman
    with bt myself on infinity 2 ..52mb down...sky only do 40mb...ill stick with bt a bit longer

Any of you guys suffering fom the half-speed issue on Sky fibre? This is where your router syncs at 40 down and 10 up, but actual throughput is more like 20 down and 10 up. I have this issue. Whn I did a search on Sky's forums I found a long running thread going back to June 2012 on the subject that suggests many others are suffering the same issue.

Craftsman

Are you connected over WiFi? I was and this has a limit of 20Mbps. I connected with an Ethernet cable and got much improved speed stats.

Have you tried the BT speed test for fibre.
    http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

I tried a few other sites and they gave lower results, maybe they cant keep up?

I changed from the normal Sky Broadband where I was getting 1.3 mb to Sky Fibre about 5 months ago and now get 40 mb download and it has totally changed the Internet for me. No problems with it at all.

Are you connected over WiFi? I was and this has a limit of 20Mbps. I connected with an Ethernet cable and got much improved speed stats.
    This is not the case - the Sky routers are either 802.11g or 802.11n standard (depending on when purchased) which give 54 or 600Mbps respectively.

I connect over WiFi and the speed test results on my phone show 35Mbps+ download and 10Mbps upload pretty much all the time.

The limiting factor could be the WiFi card in the connecting device (again depending upon age).

You are likely to get a faster, more stable connection over a wired link though.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I've currently got BT unlimited (at about 8Mbps) but they messed me around once too often so I'm changing to virgin fibre 60Mb unlimited with domestic & international calls.

Due for installation on Friday.
    Will report back what I find.

z
    I've been a very happy Virgin customer for years. I'm currently have 100Mbps down/5Mbps up and will be upgraded to 120Mbps down/12Mbps up in September-December 2013. I typically get 90Mbps down/4Mbps up when doing a speed test on my 802.11n 5GHz wifi. if I switch to the 2.4GHz channel I get around half that speed.

We have BT Infinity at work and are happy with that too. We get around 36Mpbs down/8Mbps up and could upgrade to 76Mbps down/19Mbps up. In the time we've had it (we were the first place in town to have it installed) there has only been one outage for 3 hours.

Moving house this week and ordered Sky Fibre today. They can't install until 15th Feb which is a bit of a pain but I guess it'm ultimately my fault for leaving it until the last minute to sort it out!!!

Sky have said this is the router I'll be getting:

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/sky-hub/

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with it, good or bad? Also know what standard it adheres to i.e. whether its 802.11g or 11n?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Moving house this week and ordered Sky Fibre today. They can't install until 15th Feb which is a bit of a pain but I guess it'm ultimately my fault for leaving it until the last minute to sort it out!!!

Sky have said this is the router I'll be getting:

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/sky-hub/

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with it, good or bad? Also know what standard it adheres to i.e. whether its 802.11g or 11n?
    Don't know how good or bad it is as I've only had it 1 week.
    But so far I'm pleased as it has been easy to just plug and go.

The Sky Hub configuration pages states that you can choose Auto for B/G/N or limit it to G only etc.

I don't know if the Auto setting that gives N speed is 2.4, 5.0 Ghz or single or dual band.
    I've only got a Nexus 7 and an old G WiFi on my laptop and both are limited to their respective wifi cards and internals (i.e. laptop (G) gives 24 down/10 up and nexus (N) gives 37 down/7 up).
    Router says synch is 40 down 10 up.

Hope that helps.

The new Sky router is 2.4GHz only. It only has 100Mbps ethernet ports which is a little surprising these days. I'd have expected Gigabit ports.

Hope that helps.
    It does, thanks. Some useful info.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It only has 100Mbps ethernet ports which is a little surprising these days. I'd have expected Gigabit ports.
    Yes I think I'd tend to agree with you. Although not too worried as I'll be using in wirelessly 99% of the time but I'd be a little disappointed if I was using it as the hub for a wired home network.

Cheers,
    Lee

That router is 802.11n but capped at 144Mbps WiFi

As stated above, the wired ports are only 100Mbps but that only matters for data transfer between devices on your network not for access to the internet (which will be 40 or 80Mbps anyway).

Thus it will only affect you if you have more than one computer (or whatever) connected and want to move files from one to the other.

It's better than mine (the old grey/black one) and that does just fine.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    That router is 802.11n but capped at 144Mbps WiFi

As stated above, the wired ports are only 100Mbps but that only matters for data transfer between devices on your network not for access to the internet (which will be 40 or 80Mbps anyway).

Thus it will only affect you if you have more than one computer (or whatever) connected and want to move files from one to the other.

It's better than mine (the old grey/black one) and that does just fine.

Cheers,

Cheers for the info Mark.