closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brands I don't want to own

Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    come on! the other watches i mentioned offer individualism..... a Roger Smith watch is beyond the reach of most people here and you know it. come to think of it, how many times have you seen a thread titled "incoming Patek brand new grande complication"....
    I think you might have missed the point here, I was referencing your ability to compare apples with oranges, Rolex are a volume manufacturer of what I would call "the top end of bottom end watches", comparing the level of individualism with higher priced niche market brands like GO and Lange is a hiding to nothing .... they're aimed at different market segments. Using your point below about precious metal Rolex being similarly priced to Lange then yes that is fair enough, but how many precious metal Rolexes do you see in reality compared to the run of the mill Rolex best sellers (SS Datejusts).

Incidentally, what you see posted on the forum and what people own are likely to be two different things, I heard one chap turned up to a GTG with a couple of JLC tourbillions which must have been quite a sight.

Rolex fits the bill perfectly for the wannabes who wish to impress ####### they don't even like.
    In your opinion perhaps, maybe it's the circles we reside in but in mine using any luxury item to impress people would be vulgar whether it be a watch, a car or the size of one's house. IMHO though this form of display is in no way limited to Rolex, it starts further down with Tag then Omega then Rolex then PP etc etc etc and eminates from the wearer's attitudes to wealth display and not from Rolex itself.

let's not forget i haven't said they make crap watches, just a stigma towards the brand that i don't associate with.... and you can pay a lot more than average price for rolex if you wish it to be solid gold..... so a comparable rolex with a Lange is not that far off..... so where are your arguements for the likes of Bremont, Breguet, Glashutte Original?
    See my point above about niche market manufacturers and precious metals and I'd argue both Breguet and GO are small niche market makers when it comes to the UK due to the lack of advertising and general recognition outside the WIS community. As to Bremont, I get the impression they want to be a big boy but personally (and not wanting to light the "Bremont touch paper") I don't see a cased up ETA Bremont as being in the same league as a Rolex.

i want to feel as though i come accross as a person who acknowledges the Rolex brand, but give it a wide berth.... perhaps i've been misunderstood.
    Perhaps, and that attitude is fair enough.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I was at a party last week and somebody said 'I like your watch, what is it? I like the green bit'
    'It's a Rolex' I replied - and immediately felt like a flash git when 3 or 4 of her friends said 'ooh look at his Rolex' and got all the 'is it real, you must be rich' rubbish. I'm not remotely flash, and actually felt embarrassed. I wished I'd been wearing a g shock to be honest!
    I like Rolex watches, I like Bmw's too - but wouldn't own one as I think they are a posers car. I think Rolex has a bit of an image problem - but I won't sell mine as if I need to replace it, it will cost double what I paid!
    part of the reason not to own one.... everybody heard of it and think it's a fake or you need to be a successful banker to own one! if you were wearing a breguet or a perrelet the scenario would have been so different. for starters, they wouldn't have asked if it as real! they would probably have never heard of it! that's individualism.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    I think you might have missed the point here, I was referencing your ability to compare apples with oranges, Rolex are a volume manufacturer of what I would call "the top end of bottom end watches", comparing the level of individualism with higher priced niche market brands like GO and Lange is a hiding to nothing .... they're aimed at different market segments. Using your point below about precious metal Rolex being similarly priced to Lange then yes that is fair enough, but how many precious metal Rolexes do you see in reality compared to the run of the mill Rolex best sellers (SS Datejusts).

Incidentally, what you see posted on the forum and what people own are likely to be two different things, I heard one chap turned up to a GTG with a couple of JLC tourbillions which must have been quite a sight.

In your opinion perhaps, maybe it's the circles we reside in but in mine using any luxury item to impress people would be vulgar whether it be a watch, a car or the size of one's house. IMHO though this form of display is in no way limited to Rolex, it starts further down with Tag then Omega then Rolex then PP etc etc etc and eminates from the wearer's attitudes to wealth display and not from Rolex itself.

See my point above about niche market manufacturers and precious metals and I'd argue both Breguet and GO are small niche market makers when it comes to the UK due to the lack of advertising and general recognition outside the WIS community. As to Bremont, I get the impression they want to be a big boy but personally (and not wanting to light the "Bremont touch paper") I don't see a cased up ETA Bremont as being in the same league as a Rolex.

Perhaps, and that attitude is fair enough.
    you can get a reasonably priced GO for not much more than an average Rolex.... and i would happily save the extra for the GO.

i do however perfer omega over rolex as the so-called top of the bottom league watches....

as for bremont, they are getting certain things right for a relatively new brand..... their cases and dials look far nicer than rolex imho, and if they are in a position to manufacture an in-house movement by 2014, and cosc certified..... then they will be a brand to be truly appreciated. i would like to think that when they do manufacture an in-house movement, they will use the daniels co-axial escapement to give it that truly british feel and a marque to be proud of.

Craftsman
    Rolex. Never got them.

Master
    Having read most of the posts i don't think anyone has said a bad word against CASIO...

Therefore i declare it the winner

Apart from the cheap tat from U-Boat, TW Steel etc most of the modern high brand prices are just ridiculous IMHO which is why I generally prefer vintage nowadays.

Oh, and I hate TAGs, but love Heuers.
    Last edited by Chinnock; 24th December 2012 at 20:30.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Banned
    Blog Entries
    part of the reason not to own one.... everybody heard of it and think it's a fake or you need to be a successful banker to own one! if you were wearing a breguet or a perrelet the scenario would have been so different. for starters, they wouldn't have asked if it as real! they would probably have never heard of it! that's individualism.
    That's true. The only watches that ever get notice or attract a comment are my Rolex's. I am therefore cautious where I wear them.

Bit annoying because I actually like them.

i do however perfer omega over rolex as the so-called top of the bottom league watches....
    Which is interesting as you mentioned several times that you're not down on Rolex per se, just prefer something more individual that people remark less on. Neither of those points you've made are going to happen with Omega, and from what I've seen (which in reality is just that, what I've seen), Omega are far more popular than Rolex, suffer just the same reputation, and are the de facto choice of office workers.

As it happens I've never been asked if any of my Rolex are fake or what they cost - just like I've never been asked about any of the other watches brands I wear.

as for bremont, they are getting certain things right for a relatively new brand..... their cases and dials look far nicer than rolex imho, and if they are in a position to manufacture an in-house movement by 2014, and cosc certified..... then they will be a brand to be truly appreciated. i would like to think that when they do manufacture an in-house movement, they will use the daniels co-axial escapement to give it that truly british feel and a marque to be proud of.
    Well most of that is personal opinion on asthetics and as it happens I love the Bremont case design, hate the over fussy dial on the Supermarine and the ejector seat gimmicks on the MB range but like the simplicity of the Solo model. But no amount of case asthetics or cool storage wallets is going to make me pay that for an ETA watch from a High Street jeweller.

If they do introduce in-house movements it will be interesting to see what happens to the price of Bremont, especially if it's a co-ax and pitched firmly at Omega in the movement stakes.

For me there is no chance that I will ever wear Invicta. Dirty design thieves!

Also I dislike any Omega which is connected to Bond... yuck.

And I will hopefully avoid any overpriced watch with standard ETA movement inside. For me no watch without inhouse (or significantly modified) movement should cost over 1K.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    Romaine Jerome.
    I am very seriously considering buying an RJ Moondust DNA - I love space stuff and it has to be the ultimate.

I wouldn't have any of their others though. (Although the volcano one is pretty cool...)

If anyone knows where to get one in Europe at sensible money I would be very interested to hear.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I am very seriously considering buying an RJ Moondust DNA - I love space stuff and it has to be the ultimate.

I wouldn't have any of their others though. (Although the volcano one is pretty cool...)

If anyone knows where to get one in Europe at sensible money I would be very interested to hear.
    I might do. See what i can find. J

Never bought a brand just a watch, bit sad if you do, but given the preconceptions about brands and having the right watch that seems to be important to many predictably inevitable

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    U-Boat
    TW Steel
    Bell & Ross
    Hamilton
    Raymond Weil
    Mido
    Montblanc
    Damasko
    Marathon
    Panerai
    RJ

&

lots of others
    Plus Rolex

Just getting into this watch collecting business, but TAGs don't do it for me right now

Craftsman
    I don't care about the make just the watches.

Take ulysse nardin for instance. I don't like the look of 99% of their watches but every now and again i see one that blows me away. So I won't write them off (not that I can afford them anyway)

Or TW steel currently don't like any but who is to say that next year they wont make one I do like.

Breightbling
    Tag
    Corum

Fashion tat

Probably a few more if I thought about it

Journeyman
    Rotary
    Tissot
    Grand Seiko
    Tag
    Graham

AP. I know, the provenance is top notch, but the design is reminiscent of 1980's furniture.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky555 View Post
    Also I dislike any Omega which is connected to Bond... yuck.
    This....

The tie up really cheapens the brand and image.... yet strangely doesn't cheapen the price of them... imagine that

Re: Brands I don't want to own

Rolex (image)
    BrightBling
    Hublot

That's about it.
    And what's the stigma with being an "office worker"?
    Where do you work then? Down t'pit?
    Bunch of snobs.

Grand Master
    i could think of many brands that i would favour over rolex.... breguet, glasgutte original, a. lange & sohne, bremont, perrelet....
    Good for you. That's the beauty of personal taste - it can be exercised by the purchase of products and services.
    some of the aforementioned watches give a certain amount of individualism that is impossible with rolex.....
    A rather parochial attitude that assumes that watches are the centre of everybody else's universe just because they - and prejudices relating to them - are at the centre of yours. A small hint: almost no-one gives a stuff!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

CARTIER.... Think of all the other watches you could buy for the same money!

Seiko ..................No ta !!

Craftsman
    Linde Werdelin. Hodinkee do articles on them every month it seems, and I think they look awful - the designs that not even Romain Jerome dare to make.....

Master
    Brands like Fredrique constant, longines, Rotary, Bulova, maybe Tag, i would not get these.

Re: Brands I don't want to own

Pro-lex. What an idiotic name. :banghead:
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    I've never really seen the attraction of Rolex. I don't dislike the brand, indeed, their range inspires profound apathy in me. Which is why I can't see myself buying one, ever - they just seem dull to me. I'm aware they are fantastic quality and have wonderful residuals, but... (Weirdly, the one new watch I can really see myself lusting after is a Black Bay.)

I don't see the point in fashion brand watches (esp. Diesel, who seem focused on producing fearsomely ugly mutant timepieces with no aesthetic attraction at all).

And finally, Christopher Ward watches don't appeal in the slightest. They make me feel as if someone took all the design cues from successful watches of the last 40 years, loaded them into a blunderbuss and fired it at the current range. The "Trident", for example, is a right b.gger's muddle. Ugh.

not spotted Christopher Ward mentioned yet...very surprising.

The watch that comes into my mind, apart from the fashion label brands, is the new BMW Ball watch! I just do not get that pairing at all, Ball a USA company with a history of watches based around trains, with a Germany car manufacturer! very strange.

Master
    I know I will probably get shot down for this, but I'm not massively enamoured with many of the recent offerings from Patek Philippe. Many have odd, unbalanced asymetric dial layouts, and some just look plain cheap and nasty. I know they aren't cheap and nasty, and that they are superbly well made, good quality watches, but the aesthetics let them down.

This one for instance looks like a piece of Chinese junk that you could pick up from a market for a fiver:

Master
    Invicta. A member said he cannot say he can pick a brand because they may come up with a nice watch in the future.
    I am 100% sure Invicta will allways suck.

Bell & Ross
    U boat
    BRM

Agree re. TAG..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    6 months ago, I'd have said Rolex. Over priced shite. I now own two and very rarely wear anything else.

Now, I'd go with TAG. I like quite a few of their designs. I can't put my finger on why I don't like them but I don't.
    As far as my little brain is concerned, TAG isn't a watch brand...

... it's a bit like calling a Ducati motorcycle an Audi...

Any brand that also makes clothes.......

Also:

Graham
    BRM
    Rado
    Tissot
    Invicta

For me:
    U Boat
    Jacob and Co
    TW

There are certain brands that I'd pick one, maybe 2 of the whole collection:
    Omega (I have a speedy but would consider few contemporary offerings - but I would definitely like a seamaster 300!)
    Breitling
    Cartier

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would say its more models I would never own rather than brands, but there are a few out there that dint have a model I want (or at least want to pay for lol)

Tag
    Graham
    BRM
    TW steel
    U boat
    Whoever makes that crazy Titanic thing!

Hublot....

I have never been a fan of Rolex, but since picking up my Tudor, i am coming round to appreciating the plainer OysterDate's and DateJust's. One day i may pick one up.

The brand that just doesn't do anything for me is Heuer. I appreciate their place in the horological world, but i dislike the vast majority of them all, except the lovely Carrera. I would wear/own one of those in a heartbeat if the chance came along. The other more colourful models are just too 70's for my taste, especially the Monaco.

Far to Ivan Dobsky for my liking:

Craftsman

I never say "never"...

...'cuz I know I just might.

With the exception of fashion brands and Invicta, which I assume any true WIS would dismiss out of hand, most manufactures offer at least one or two pieces that I would consider.

Life's too short for absolutes.

Regards,
    Adam

TAG - never in a month of sundaes.........

Graham - Ugly-ugly-ugly..........

Anything "special edition" with connections to a movie or the likes.......... "Top Gun", "James Bond" etc..........

A

Craftsman
    Rolex, no real logic other than the same reason I won't drive a beemer. Wouldn't knock either but not for me.

TAG - xcept maybe Monaco
    U Boat - remind me of old cars with starting handles
    Fashion/Designer Brands - excuse to sell something else
    Breitling - brightbling
    Corum - don't like flags...
    Panerai - got one ....so now I've got the lot !

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    It's rare that I can't find something to like in every watch, but Omega are my favourite.
    +1

I like the fact that most non-WIS know next to nothing about Omega so there are no preconceptions foisted on the wearers. Unlike Rolex.

I remember the comment of a young lady I used to know (yes, this is going back a few years) who summed a friend of mine up by saying:

'Let's put it this way, he has an interest in commonball and wears a Rolex.'

Ignorant and uninformed, perhaps. But that is still the opinion of some. Luckily, I care less and less what people think as I get older.

Craftsman
    Fashion watches like Armani, Diesel ......
    Cartier
    Ebel
    Patek P.
    Panerai
    U Boat
    TW Steel
    Invicta
    Hublot
    Graham
    Tag Heuer
    Breitling
    Meistersinger
    Tauchmeister
    Any watch with a cyclops
    Any bling bling watch

Fashion brands, Invicta, Ulysse Nardin

Ebel is probably the only serious brand I write off entirely. Nothing to do with quality, just never seen one that I really liked.

Journeyman
    Rolex - I've never like the image that comes with the brand

Craftsman
    U Boat and Graham - opposite ends of the price scale but both trying too hard to make a bit of a statement..

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    +1

I like the fact that most non-WIS know next to nothing about Omega so there are no preconceptions foisted on the wearers. Unlike Rolex.
    That may be true now, but Omega does seem to be doing it's best to push its brand into the same domain (Bond, advertising, ambassadeurs)... wonder if in future people will be wrinkling their noses at Omega owners for prating on about how their watch is so much better than a Rolex? Long live the King, and all that ;)

I would have to add JLC to my ever lengthening list, having looked at an extremely shiny and very expensive display of them some days ago in the airport. Very little they make attracts me, given the gushing that normally goes on. I'd add AP, too, except that the entry-level Royal Oak has that strong '70s schtick about it.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I would say, for a start :

- Breitling
    - designers watches in general (I mean : Gucci, D&G or whatever)
    - Patek Philippe [I can't afford them, anyway...]
    - all the pseudo-submariners brands (Invicta, MarcelloC and the like)

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    For me it's Omega. All these limited editions of limited editions just get on my nerves. What brands have the same effect on you and why?
    I think the one that I don't think I could ever own is Jacob & Co.