closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who has 'upgraded' from an iPhone 4 to a 5?

Master

Who has 'upgraded' from an iPhone 4 to a 5?

My contract is up for renewal and I can change my 4 for a 5 but I'm really wondering if it is worth it. Instead of getting a new phone I can drop my monthly payments down on a SIM only deal.

Now that the 5 has been in the market a few months, if you changed your 4 (not 4S) for a 5, what are your thoughts on the upgrade?

Many thanks.

Master
    I went from a 4 to a 5. The biggest difference and advantage is speed and the quality of the camera. Both are worth it imho.

Grand Master
    Always have the latest and greatest....Youre worth it
    RIAC

Apprentice
    I also made the change from 4 to 5, along with my kids. My Wife, who uses her 4 for calls, texting and FB decided not to upgrade and now has a SIM only deal.

Pros:
    Speed - it's noticeably faster
    Camera - better quality, especially the front facing one
    Siri - not available on 4
    Voice call - quality on 5 to 5 calls is amazing
    4g - faster downloads
    Weight - it's lighter
    Screen - it's bigger

Cons:
    Lightning connector - if you have additional devices/chargers with the 30-pin they are virtually redundant (unless you purchase adapters at £25 a piece)
    4g - ridiculous premium on contract and limited availability

Battery life is appears to be the same, if not marginally better. I'm glad I made the switch

Blog Entries
    Nope, not I - whilst my house may be festooned with Apple products of all shapes and sizes (last count was about 20ish), I was extremely disappointed with the lack of ambition change shown with the release of the iPhone 5. The Lightening adapter change was also annoying and whilst i understand the need to move on, I hate to say it but £25 for an oversized, ugly looking adapter is outrageous.

I doubt I'll ever change my brand loyalty as is my way, however i do hope to see something more innovative, and dare i say it, beautiful with the next release and stick with my 4s.

I went for the 4 to the 5 and while the camera and speed are nice the quality control from Apple seems to have taken a hit.

What with all the scuffed phones in the box when brand new and now the power button on mine isn't working properly (common problem if you look around).

I thought they might have learnt from the iPhone 4 antenna issues, seemingly not.

Mine is going to Apple for a replacement tomorrow, generally this is what Apple are good for, customer service, regardless I shouldn't have to replace a >£500 phone because of a simple hardware fault when it is merely a few months old.

I went from a 4S to the five just because I managed to get a decent price on a new one that someone was selling and the timing was right as I'd had my 4S replaced by Apple (so best time to sell).

Its not ground breaking but the 4/4S feels like a brick in comparison now. The biggest annoyance is that probably 75% of apps are still only fit for the 4S screen so you don't get full benefit. However, the weight of the phone and the feel means I'm very happy with my choice.

That much so I bought a new one recently so I could give the mrs my current one to upgrade from her 4.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectus View Post
    I also made the change from 4 to 5, along with my kids. My Wife, who uses her 4 for calls, texting and FB decided not to upgrade and now has a SIM only deal.

Pros:
    Speed - it's noticeably faster
    Camera - better quality, especially the front facing one
    Siri - not available on 4
    Voice call - quality on 5 to 5 calls is amazing
    4g - faster downloads
    Weight - it's lighter
    Screen - it's bigger

Cons:
    Lightning connector - if you have additional devices/chargers with the 30-pin they are virtually redundant (unless you purchase adapters at £25 a piece)
    4g - ridiculous premium on contract and limited availability

Battery life is appears to be the same, if not marginally better. I'm glad I made the switch
    No point getting one if you dont have a cat that needs stretching and photographing
    RIAC

I started with a 2, and upgraded each time (yes I know, I'm a sheep). I've held off this time in upgrading to a 5, and will wait for a 6. There was no 'killer app' in the 5 that i could see compared to the 4. Perhaps when we get decent 4G coverage it might be worth it.

Master

I went from a 4 to a 5 just for better battery life the phone feels a lot nicer in the hand too. Day to day use I've not noticed any massive difference aside from almost an extra day out of the battery and its more comfortable to hold, the downside is no jailbreak is available yet. I've just spent a few days trying out jelly bean on android and whilst its getting close its not quite there for me yet IOS is still better to use. If battery life is important then it's worth the change if not then stick with what you have and wait for the 6 which is likely to be in 18 months -2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I went from a 4 to a 5 just for better battery life the phone feels a lot nicer in the hand too. Day to day use I've not noticed any massive difference aside from almost an extra day out of the battery and its more comfortable to hold, the downside is no jailbreak is available yet. I've just spent a few days trying out jelly bean on android and whilst its getting close its not quite there for me yet IOS is still better to use. If battery life is important then it's worth the change if not then stick with what you have and wait for the 6 which is likely to be in 18 months -2 years.
    Wish I could say the same for me - both models I've had of the 5 have had far worse battery life than the 4S I traded up from.

There's no point in me taking the phone out without a charging pack attached if I'm out for longer than 6 hours. I admit, I'm a heavy user but I wouldn't say I'm OTT with it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Wish I could say the same for me - both models I've had of the 5 have had far worse battery life than the 4S I traded up from.

There's no point in me taking the phone out without a charging pack attached if I'm out for longer than 6 hours. I admit, I'm a heavy user but I wouldn't say I'm OTT with it.
    That does surprise me, my 4 was dead by around 1930-2000 my 5 gets me to around 1700-1800 the following day with the same usage handy when I've forgotten to charge it or pack a charger when overnighting somewhere. I'm a heavy user hence I was looking at android with an ability to swap batteries If needed but with the time it lasts now I'm happy. Maybe try a fresh install and start from scratch or pop into a store and ask the questions it should be lasting way way longer than that.

That does surprise me, my 4 was dead by around 1930-2000 my 5 gets me to around 1700-1800 the following day with the same usage handy when I've forgotten to charge it or pack a charger when overnighting somewhere. I'm a heavy user hence I was looking at android with an ability to swap batteries If needed but with the time it lasts now I'm happy. Maybe try a fresh install and start from scratch or pop into a store and ask the questions it should be lasting way way longer than that.
    The one I'm currently using is a week old so probably hasn't gone through its power cycle yet. But as an example, I took it out with me on Boxing day (out at 9) and by about 3:15pm I had 4% left (luckily had it in a charger case).

Will see how it goes though over the next few weeks. It does seem worse than the previous 5 I had that I gave the wife (although as I say, its still 'new')

Quote Originally Posted by perfectus View Post
    Screen - it's bigger

That totally sells it for me. Never again will I not know if a stretched cat is wearing boots or a skull cap, it was sooooo embarrassing when I made that mistake.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I've just upgraded from a 3gs to a 4, as my son has just upgraded from a 4 to a 5 and gave me his old one. I've been on a much cheaper package for 14 months since the 3gs came out of contract. I was waiting for the 5 but after seeing my sons one I plumped for his old 4 at no cost!

The 3G to 4 was the big change, bringing in the retina display. I need something that obviosu to get me to the 5. Or 6.

I went from a 4 to a 5 two weeks after launch and have loved every minute of it.

Pro's
    Extremely fast processing
    Drastically lighter (I can't believe I carried that weight before)
    Thinner (makes more of a difference than I thought it would)
    Bigger screen
    Better battery life
    Headphone port at the bottom

Con's
    Back can get scratched
    Sides do dink when dropped

Definitely worth the upgrade IMO

4 to a 5 switch on contract upgrade a few months back. Deffo worth it. Biggies for me:

Siri - great, particularly for hands free texts and iTunes stuff
    Lighter, bigger screen, better camera.
    Cased in a light silicone skin as per my 4 so no dink issues

Only downer was lighting cable, have to juggle my iPad with old connector with this. Minor inconvenience given benefits.

Go for it.

Master

I actually quite like the lightening it plugs in either way up so much easier finding the hole in the dark :D I bought a couple of micro USB adapters to keep with me when out and about. My zeppelin is AirPlay otherwise I think I'd have been annoyed about it

Master
    Both my wife and I went from 4 to 5 on launch day.
    The size, speed, feel, camera and sound quality is worth the upgrade along.

The only thing I hate is the lightening charge thingy. Why?!?

Not yet, still sporting the 4S. Personally I won't upgrade until there is a jailbreak for the ip5

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
    I started with a 2, and upgraded each time (yes I know, I'm a sheep). I've held off this time in upgrading to a 5, and will wait for a 6. There was no 'killer app' in the 5 that i could see compared to the 4. Perhaps when we get decent 4G coverage it might be worth it.
    My thoughts exactly.

Master
    Thanks for all your input.

I've gone with heart rather than head and got the 5 but I've justified it to myself by getting a 64Gb version. My 4 is a 16 Gb and I am always taking apps/music/photos off as the memory isn't enough.

Thans again.

My son had one for Christmas so think I will need to get one know as it is nice with that bigger screen

I think that the general concensus is that getting a iphone 5 from the iphone 4 is a worthy upgrade, as you'll get a better screen, camera, processor and of course you'll get to play with Siri.
    But if you already own a iphone4S then you are better off to wait for the next iphone version as there are only small differences between the 4S and 5 ie a slighter bigger screen and slightly faster processor.

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I think that the general concensus is that getting a iphone 5 from the iphone 4 is a worthy upgrade, as you'll get a better screen, camera, processor and of course you'll get to play with Siri.
    But if you already own a iphone4S then you are better off to wait for the next iphone version as there are only small differences between the 4S and 5 ie a slighter bigger screen and slightly faster processor.
    I've owned every iPhone since launch and think this is spot-on. The 5 isn't a great upgrade over the 4S, but is well worth it over the 4.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by a900ss View Post
    My contract is up for renewal and I can change my 4 for a 5 but I'm really wondering if it is worth it. Instead of getting a new phone I can drop my monthly payments down on a SIM only deal.

Now that the 5 has been in the market a few months, if you changed your 4 (not 4S) for a 5, what are your thoughts on the upgrade?

Many thanks.
    I did this last week and also bought an Ipad mini.
    The Iphone 5 is MUCH faster than the Iphone 4 and a lot thinner, but taller.
    It's well worth the small extra cost. The 3g speed on the Iphone 5 is A LOT faster than on the Iphone 4. I haven't really put the camera to a full test, but is seems better and is waaaay faster.

iPhone5 has been ordered and awaiting delivery :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JJG-DK View Post
    iPhone5 has been ordered and awaiting delivery :-)
    Let us know how you get on with Siri? It's now supposed to be more UK friendly????

Master

Does anyone actually use Siri? I've done the joke thing asking it where to hide a body but other than that never use it.

Upgraded from 4S to 5 on launch day (by doing the whole queueing at an Apple Store thing - never again, but that's another story).

Is it much different? No, not really, but it is nicer. If you are on a 4 (no S) then the jump is more substantial.

Does anyone actually use Siri? I've done the joke thing asking it where to hide a body but other than that never use it.
    I use it to set reminders which I do quite a lot.

My wife loves her new 5 - better camera, faster everything and I love her old 4 - my first smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I use it to set reminders which I do quite a lot.
    Find Siri a pain in the ass for this, always gets what I'm saying wrong and take ages so in the end I end up doing it manually

Good for setting an alarm or activating the countdown timer, also thanks to a jailbreak tweek I can open apps with Siri which is pretty handy

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Find Siri a pain in the ass for this, always gets what I'm saying wrong and take ages so in the end I end up doing it manually

Good for setting an alarm or activating the countdown timer, also thanks to a jailbreak tweek I can open apps with Siri which is pretty handy
    You can do that on non jailbroken phones now.

I know what you mean re: getting things wrong. I have a number of reminders that don't say exactly what I said but I leave them as is to make me chuckle when the reminder pops up. Although this morning I said 'Chase up cruise refund'. Siri put 'Change sport crooms refund'. Er...

I'm still running iOS 5.1.1, I take it iOS 6 makes this happen? Not familiar with iOS 6 yet...

Craftsman
    Yes i have just upgraded ,i had the 4s but my wife had the 3 so we changed to the 5 i must say it seems slightly faster from the 4s but that is about it that i have noticed,and i never use siri.
    tony

I've had an old nokia for years, but i now want to get a Iphone so i can place bets when im at work and on the move.

I've held the 4s and i really liked the feel and weight of it, but i havent held the 5.

I like a phone to have a bit of weight to it, i still use an old ipod over the newer thinner ones.

Would you say getting a 4s would be better for me as theres not much difference between the spec of the 5 and 4s, and that the 4s is heavier and thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by undertheboardwalk View Post
    I've had an old nokia for years, but i now want to get a Iphone so i can place bets when im at work and on the move.

I've held the 4s and i really liked the feel and weight of it, but i havent held the 5.

I like a phone to have a bit of weight to it, i still use an old ipod over the newer thinner ones.

Would you say getting a 4s would be better for me as theres not much difference between the spec of the 5 and 4s, and that the 4s is heavier and thicker.
    Certainly sounds like it, yes.

Initially I didn't like the feel of the 5 - it just felt too light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
    Certainly sounds like it, yes.

Initially I didn't like the feel of the 5 - it just felt too light.
    It sounds a bit stupid but i like to know ive got it in my hand or pocket,

Quote Originally Posted by undertheboardwalk View Post
    It sounds a bit stupid but i like to know ive got it in my hand or pocket,
    Going from a 3gs, in a heavy duty silicon case from Belkin, the naked 5 felt too light to me. I put it in an Otterbox Commuter case and the weight is just right now, not quite as heavy as the 3gs was, and of course the phone is now fully protected. The Otterbox comes with a screen protector, a close fitting silicon inner, and a hardshell outer.
    F.T.F.A.

Article in the mail today showing a pic of the new iphone 5s or 6 if you like and saying its only months away!

Upgraded from 3GS to 5 - the 5 is lighter and screen bigger which was worth the upgrade alone - but i also find its waaay faster which is like the cherry on top IMO

There already talking about the 5S which could be out in spring. Looks like they may come in various colors too

Blog Entries
    I didn't read all comments, but perhaps this is interesting... http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/01/...in-usage-logs/

menno

My iphone 4 is over 2 years old, never had a screen protector/case and STILL looks v.good. My friend's iphone 5 was already more noticeably worn in 2 weeks :(. with an iPad 4 and MBP I'm quite content - all games are played better on one of those two! I honestly don't use many processor intensive apps and the photos on the 4 are still very good IMO. After the contract ended I slapped in a virgin sim- now I can put the £25 a month I save on other stuff :)

Blog Entries
    Gone from 4 to 5 and I like it! Wrapped my 5 in a Otterbox case so it still feels like a brick but I am happy it is protected. My 5 is fast and crisp, the camera is much better and I like it but the chances of me wanting a 6 anytime in the forseeable are about zero! A bonus was SWMBO's 4 had crap reception, she now has my old 4 which has much better reception and she is content!

What do you get for the £6.90 per month?

Is it 12 month contract or rolling monthly with which network?

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Stuck with the 4 for the moment and now paying £6.90 per month SIM only.

Radu&Bogdan F
    Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    I'm with 3. 12 month SIM only. Never had a problem with the network anywhere in the UK. As long as you don't have to speak to their Customer Services you're laughing

I get:

200 minutes
    5000 text
    500mb data
    2000 3 to 3 minutes

Plenty for me
    .................................................. .......................

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    My iphone 4 is over 2 years old, never had a screen protector/case and STILL looks v.good. My friend's iphone 5 was already more noticeably worn in 2 weeks :(. with an iPad 4 and MBP I'm quite content - all games are played better on one of those two! I honestly don't use many processor intensive apps and the photos on the 4 are still very good IMO. After the contract ended I slapped in a virgin sim- now I can put the £25 a month I save on other stuff :)
    .................................................. ...........................................

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    What do you get for the £6.90 per month?

Is it 12 month contract or rolling monthly with which network?
    .................................................. ..................................

Radu&Bogdan F
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    There already talking about the 5S which could be out in spring. Looks like they may come in various colors too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    .................................................. .........................