closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which would you choose?

Apprentice

Which would you choose?

OK, help me out here guys.

I currently own a nice Longines Legend Diver, which I purchased in january this year. Even though I REALLY like the watch, the fact that it's all polished steel which scrathes quite easily makes me constantly worry about it. Sure, small scratches can be polished with cape cod, but still. Also, I must admit I like my watches on bracelets. And no, mesh didn't just look right with this watch.

Now I've been offered a change to make an even trade to a Sinn 857 UTC. A totally different style. The Sinn is less than a year old, in pristine condition and comes with metal bracelet and rubber strap. Even though I like some bling which this watch doesn't have the idea of having a "go to do anything" watch is starting to tempt me. And for some bling I can always turn to my Junghans Attaché or Tag Aquaracer.

What would you do? Enyone have experiences from both?

Had both. Sinn was the better all rounder and stood up to daily wear without any issues due to the teg case and bracelet.

I did like the LLD but the main reason for its departure was the size on my small 6.5" wrists (notably the lug to lug length).

Sounds from your post the 857 would perhaps suit your needs better. No point in keeping a watch you can't fully enjoy IMO.

Master
    Sinn for me

I agree with the above. It seems that you want a do anything watch, which the Sinn certainly is. For elegant wear, your Junghans certainly fits the bill.

Craftsman
    I keep thinking about buying an LLD but have always bought something else in the end. I can't really put my finger on why I have always ultimately looked elsewhere. The Sinn 857 UTC certainly appeals and I would probably buy one instead of an LLD if I had the chance.

I have an LLD and wear it most of the time and for all sorts of activities. It doesn't get scratched up at all and I am not particularly careful about what I do. I don't know which mesh you've tried but mine mostly lives on Staib mesh:

Although I also like it on a shark and on Morellatto Jump straps - the green particularly sets off the off white paint job (no pics available)
    Gray

I think the Longines is a fine watch indeed and I'd be happy to own one, but if I had to choose between it and a Sinn 857, I'd take the Sinn in a heartbeat.

regards,
    Nick

Master
    I'd keep the LLD, personally... lovely looking watch.

Blog Entries
    The LLD is a very special piece. The Sinn is just another routine chunk of macho (albeit very nicely made).

Let the LLD go and you will regret it.

If you are really set on getting rid of it, I have a mesh sitting here with no watch on it

Apprentice
    Thank's for your replies.

This really is a tough decision to make. Fortunately I've got until next monday to make up my mind.

When I first saw the Longines I thought (and still do) it looked absolutely beautiful. However now that I have it there's always some doubts somewhere deep in the back of my head about it. I just can't figure out what's "wrong" with the watch. I think it was the same thing with my speedy pro some time ago. I always wanted it, liked it a lot when I finally got it but have had no regrets letting it go. Weird this whole watch business...

Quote Originally Posted by TTR View Post
    Thank's for your replies.

This really is a tough decision to make. Fortunately I've got until next monday to make up my mind.

When I first saw the Longines I thought (and still do) it looked absolutely beautiful. However now that I have it there's always some doubts somewhere deep in the back of my head about it. I just can't figure out what's "wrong" with the watch. I think it was the same thing with my speedy pro some time ago. I always wanted it, liked it a lot when I finally got it but have had no regrets letting it go. Weird this whole watch business...

I guess you just need to work out what it really is that bothers you about it, decide if it really matters that much and go from there. It took me quite a while to finally get one, LLD, and I went with the date version. I liked it, a lot, but there was something just not right for me and I passed it on. However I missed most aspects of it and realised I just loved the true to original no date version, which had first caught my eye, so got one of those. I've had it a while now and it's going no where soon. Good luck!
    Gray

Sinn for me, no contest...

Craftsman
    The Sinn would get my vote all day long

Journeyman
    Longines always. Especially Legend Diver.

Looks to be fairly well split - for me, 100% the LLD, I love it.

If you are the type that constantly worries about getting your LLD scratched, take the Sinn. You'll have a beautiful watch without the worries.

Which would you choose?

My choice would be the LLD. For a period of time I have also been very concerned regarding getting scratches on my watches but eventually came to the decision, that I'm more of a "watch user" than a "watch flipper" thus resale value has become less important to me and now I wear my watches more "freely" :-) Still get annoyed when catching a scratch or ding though ;-)

Blog Entries
    It's Friday. Monday, the day of doom, approaches. Tell us, mortal OP, which way your thinking is leaning that we may confuse you further.

Quote Originally Posted by TTR View Post
    The Sinn is less than a year old, in pristine condition
    If you are worried about scratching the LLD you will probably still worry about scratching the Sinn.

You say you really like the LLD so I would hang on to it, especially as it is a ND and will be difficult to replace if you decide you've made a mistake. And to my mind polished steel is less of a worry than a brushed finish, titanium, etc as, as you said, you can polish a lot of marks out with a Cape Cod.

So keep the LLD and have a look round for a cheaper beater, or vintage watch that already has marks, which you can wear when you don't want to risk the LLD.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    It's Friday. Monday, the day of doom, approaches. Tell us, mortal OP, which way your thinking is leaning that we may confuse you further.
    The desicion has been made. I sold the LLD about an hour ago. Got about the same what I paid for it in january and that's more than the asking price of that Sinn. No remorse of selling the Longines yet...

On monday I'll try to haggle even better deal on that Sinn now that there's cash to wave in front of the seller...