closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to transform your watch with a bit of wet and dry.

Banned

How to transform your watch with a bit of wet and dry.

DISCLAIMER ITS AT YOUR RISK IF YOU TRY THIS

i bought this watch knowing full well the crystal was scratched.
    when it arrived i decided to try and get rid of the scratches.
    i figured it was worth trying as i wouldnt wear it as it was and wasnt sure where to get a replacement glass.

this is what i used to start with a very fine piece of emery paper

i sat down in front of the TV and just kept polishing,in no time the glass looked horrible and milky i couldnt see the dial
    i thought i had gone to far so i tried poly watch and it came back clear.

so now confident,i started again untill all the scratches had gone,i then wet the paper to get it smooth and carried on.
    then to finish i again used the polywatch [which was essential].
    it took time,but it wasnt hard and seeing the results was a joy.

it looks even better than my photos show.

Banned
    i dont think i took to much of the scratches wernt deep just plentiful.
    the wet and dry was very fine.

Craftsman
    Nice job looks a great improvement. I have been thinking of trying something like this myself on an old Seiko that has some scratches. It’s good to know it can be done & I’ll definitely give it a go now. Thanks for the write up.

Same here - never had the confidence to start it off knowing it will look a lot worse before it gets better...

Nice result soapy. Pick yourself up a Micromesh kit, it's finer than the finest emery i have ever come aross- the acrylic will come up like new.

Banned
    if the crystals bad you have nothing much to lose.

as i said the polywatch is essential to end with.

i was told by a watchmaker the other day that solvol autosol does a good job as well.

Master
    Good result. I had similar levels of scratches on my vintage Omega. I was thinking of going with the wet and dry, but was not brave enough so just used polywatch. I did have to use a lot of it and had to polish extremely hard, so hard that my hand ached the next day.

How hard did you have to polish with the rough paper?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Good result. I had similar levels of scratches on my vintage Omega. I was thinking of going with the wet and dry, but was not brave enough so just used polywatch. I did have to use a lot of it and had to polish extremely hard, so hard that my hand ached the next day.

How hard did you have to polish with the rough paper?
    just light finger pressure

Master
    Good on ya.

A few points worth making in case anyone else wants to have a go at polishing their crystals

1. The above method will only work with acrylic crystals.
    2. Mask up the edge of the case if you're going to use an abrasive with the crystal in situ, a lapse of concentration or a slip could end in tears.
    3. You don't need to use polywatch, anything mildly abrasive will do the job. I've had success with Brasso, car polishing compound, and even toothpaste.

Craftsman

Thanks for posting.

Looks good and good to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Good on ya.

A few points worth making in case anyone else wants to have a go at polishing their crystals

1. The above method will only work with acrylic crystals.
    2. Mask up the edge of the case if you're going to use an abrasive with the crystal in situ, a lapse of concentration or a slip could end in tears.
    3. You don't need to use polywatch, anything mildly abrasive will do the job. I've had success with Brasso, car polishing compound, and even toothpaste.
    ^^^^^ Wise words.

If anyone is on a really tight budget or just doesn't want to fork out for lots of different levels of abrasives and polishing compounds for a one-off job, how about a nail polishing flexi-board.
    They can be readily bought from most chemists and supermarkets. They generally have 3 different levels of abrasive, but seem very similar to micro-mesh board abrasive levels pink 2400, white 4000 & grey 12000.
    I've used them for light scratches through to polishing on their own. Good ones can be washed after use.

The ones I've used are mid grey on one side (final polishing) and 50/50 white and pink on the other (extra fine and fine abrasive.
    Something like this or similar.