closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beckham out

Beckham out

I am so pleased to hear that Lord and God and Mr. Britain - David Beckham has not been selected for the Olympics.
    Well done Stuart Pearce.
    I thought they had put in a new ruling in that all Olympic squads must have at least 1 ex man United player that has scored a goal from inside his own half and looks good with highlights. Mr. Pearce must have missed that one. :)

Re: Beckham out

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    I would have liked to have seen him playing in the Olympics. It would have been a nice send-off for someone who has generally been a good ambassador for British football over the years.
    Yawn !

The Olympics isn't a sentimental trip down memory lane - we have ITV for that.

I had no idea that he was even being considered?

Has anyone told Bobby Charlton, or Gary Lineker that they also have'nt been picked?

what about Brian Joicey, will he still be in the team???????
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

I was never a fan of Beckham when he was playing in this country, but I've been seriously impressed with what he's done for the olympic bid. Shame they couldn't give him a coaching role for the GB team.

Master

He presumably couldn't be much worse than Pearce - that man must have some serious dirt on someone in the FA to still be managing something, even if it is only the Olympic team.

well i think it's a shame, he put an awful lot of effort in getting the Olympics brought to the UK, personally i am not taking the football element of the Olympics that seriously anyway and would have liked to see him play, especially as i have tickets for a GB match in Cardif.

He has to my mind been a good ambassador for GB and it would not have hurt to include him

Master

I don't think anybody really gives a toss about Olympic football - although a player who felt that they'd missed out on a medal (I know, I know...) due to the sentimental involvement of an old bloke who has effectively been playing pub football for the last 5 years might disagree with that.

Sir David of Beckham seems like a lovely bloke, but it's time to move on, I think. If people really want to see him, they should give him a job that just involves hanging around looking moody in a suit - he did that pretty well in South Africa.

He's probably still smirking

No one watches Olympic football (or tennis for that matter).

I think he deserved to be selected for the Olympic GB Football squad.
    It is an event rather than a proper fully competitive competition.
    He definitely should have been selected ahead of that gobshite Bellamy (how many times has he been in trouble with the Police ?)
    and Ryan Giggs a once great and admired man whose reputation is now in the gutter after his antics.

I think he should have been selected as well

Over the last few years he's been a pretty good role model, certainly compared to the majority of his peer group

S

Master

I wasn't aware that the selection was on the basis of being a good bloke, but if it was, Bellamy wouldn't be the worst choice you could make:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... ester-city

http://www.craigbellamyfoundation.org/

He's put in £1.2m of his own money as well, apparently.

I would have liked to have seen him playing in the Olympics. It would have been a nice send-off for someone who has generally been a good ambassador for British football over the years.
    +1 Must agree Mr W.

The only blot on a very illustrious career and life to date was to marry the monster "V" :twisted:

Blog Entries

Beckham out

Quote Originally Posted by simon-c

Over the last few years he's been a pretty good role model, certainly compared to the majority of his peer group

S
    +1 - he is one of the few footballers who could be considered as a good role model. On top of that he's not a bad player to have in the squad

z

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    I wasn't aware that the selection was on the basis of being a good bloke.

then for me your missing the point, worked hard to get the games brought to the UK, has for the most part an excellent role model to kids when there are so many footballers that simply are not, he would imo positively represent our country to the world in one of the most high profile sporting events in the world.

Plus he would work his socks off for the team.

Lets compare that to the shower of s@it we took to the Euros, John Terry....now theres a nice lad, or Ashley Cole? or Wayne Rooney, or Andy Carrol the list goes on. I was hoping to see Beckham play and i was hoping my 8 year old who is football mad was going to see him play, not out of some misplaced nostalgia but so i could say to him that there is a player who has grown in to a proper gentleman and a teriffic ambassador for the game, instead in contrast to the multitude of over paid, overated, ignorant toe rags that play in top flight football today.

Master

then for me your missing the point, worked hard to get the games brought to the UK, has for the most part an excellent role model to kids when there are so many footballers that simply are not, he would imo positively represent our country to the world in one of the most high profile sporting events in the world.
    I'd naively assumed that the point was to try to win matches; maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we should just bin the football element entirely and have a team of decent chaps and role models for 8 year olds.

Have people forgotten that this great role model also got caught doing the very same 'antics' as Ryan Giggs? The only difference is Beckham is a media darling.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee
    Have people forgotten that this great role model also got caught doing the very same 'antics' as Ryan Giggs? The only difference is Beckham is a media darling.
    There's also fairly partial use of "over-paid" and "over-rated" as well. I suppose we can let "ignorant" slide as he's never claimed to be a rocket scientist.

Blog Entries

Beckham out

Really? I don't recall that - When ?

Any URL?

z

I wasn't aware that the selection was on the basis of being a good bloke, but if it was, Bellamy wouldn't be the worst choice you could make:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... ester-city

http://www.craigbellamyfoundation.org/

He's put in £1.2m of his own money as well, apparently.
    He would be better off spending his money in that third world country/province called Wales.
    Never seen the point of wasting money abroad, look after your own first.

Blog Entries

Beckham out

Quote Originally Posted by Mokarran

He would be better off spending his money in that third world country/province called Wales.
    Never seen the point of wasting money abroad, look after your own first.
    Inspired post that. The world would surely be a better place if we all thought that way.

Thanks

z

Master

No, I think you have missed the point with regard to football in the Olympics. It's never going to be any country's best team as there are too many restrictions regarding age etc.. So it will be a showcase event but in GB were to win it then don't expect a 6 months feel good factor as people will never rate it as a serious competition. However, it could be a fun event and send a good message to children and adults alike about what football really should be all about.

The attitude that we need to win at all costs, even if the team consists of 8 year olds, is exactly what got the English game into the quagmire it is now in.
    That is utterly irrelevant. It appears that some people want football at the Olympics to be an exhibition sport - I disagree, in that it shouldn't be in there at all. However, it is, and to give a place away to a man just because he's a tabloid darling would be ridiculous and insulting. Edit: It'd also be a massively retrograde step given that we appear finally to have banished the media circus and insane sense of entitlement that accompanied the "Golden" Generation of Beckham and his peers.

Master

Pearce usually does get it wrong, but he got it right on this occasion. Anyway, it's clear that we have absolutely no common ground on this, so I'll conclude by saying that I'm right, you're wrong, and I find all this talk of Beckham as a latter day saint utterly incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by chime101
    Yawn !

The Olympics isn't a sentimental trip down memory lane - we have ITV for that.
    Then why is football in it?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    Quote Originally Posted by simon-c

S
    +1 - he is one of the few footballers who could be considered as a good role model. On top of that he's not a bad player to have in the squad

z

I agree. Let's not forget he gave his time and trouble to put in to the olympic and world cup bids.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Do you really think he would be arsed coming back to dear old Britain after all he has done so well for us IN America, Perhaps an Expats type game might be good beckham , Hamillton, and so on

Master

Hang on - who has said anything about hating Beckham? He was a pretty good footballer and comes across as a reasonably pleasant chap. I - like a lot of other people - just don't understand the white van man love-in with him.

Agreed, nice enough bloke, married to a witch, played well for clubs and country when he was in his prime, now he is just over the hill, i didnt realise our athletes in the games were going there to be ambassadors, i thought they went with the intention of winning, as in gold medals?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

No issue with Beckham and choice/no choice.

But why is football in the Olympic's - and even more so, why is mountain biking?

:?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

But why is football in the Olympic's - and even more so, why is mountain biking?

Fair point, so why not add Wind Surfing to the list ?

Does anyone else think that the fact it's a Great Britain team make it extra irrelevant?

Master

best news i heard today

Andy, some people don't care about that. This Beckham hating is beyond me. He's done more for England than any of the England squad and FA combined.
    Totally agree, normal working class bloke who worked his socks off to make a success out of his life.
    Appears to have been a good husband and an excellent father, has done a lot to help many causes
    including the GB Olympic effort. Plus he has remained a good bloke.

Why would anybody hate him ?
    What has he ever done to make somebody hate him ?

The only thing I can think of is bitter twisted little insignificant excuses for people who have failed miserably in their own lives.
    So in one word JEALOUSY !

Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Fair point, so why not add Wind Surfing to the list ?
    Yo-yo, conkers, paper-and=scissors, hell. why not :roll:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Despite the low regard for Olympic football, Stuart Pearce will still want to win it, and will pick the best team he can.
    Apart from a couple of loan spells, Beckham hasn't played real football since 2007, when his wife decided they would move to LA and he would play at Conference League level.

Why worry about it. england will be knocked out in the first round anyway.

Agreed. And he would have worked as hard as, if not harder than, any other member of that team. He's still in great shape. For an Olympic event which no-one really takes that seriously (apart from Argentina), would it have been such a bad thing to give this guy a place considering all he's done for the bid and his general standing as an English footballer amongst a general bunch of morons and underachievers?

Anyone that knows anything about football knows that he shouldn't be there.

For once , the right choice has been made and its for sporting reasons - not dictatated to by Adidas, Nike or other men in suits.

I like Beckham - Im a lifelong Man U fan but his inclusion would make a mockery of the competition (however valid it is).

Just because he wants to and 'its a great honour' (how many times have we heard him eek that line out already) is not a good reason.

I am suprised how many people on here think it would be a nice send of for the old fella. Stick to your watches guys - you know nothing about sport

For once , the right choice has been made and its for sporting reasons - not dictatated to by Adidas, Nike or other men in suits.

I like Beckham - Im a lifelong Man U fan but his inclusion would make a mockery of the competition (however valid it is).

Just because he wants to and 'its a great honour' (how many times have we heard him eek that line out already) is not a good reason.

I am suprised how many people on here think it would be a nice send of for the old fella. Stick to your watches guys - you know nothing about sport
    Possibly the statement that shows we know nothing about team spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by melhick

+1 and one of the most obnoxious posts I have seen in a while

Anyone who knows anything about the Olympic movement, why it exists and what it hopes to achieve will know Beckham should be included.

His inclusion in the squad wouldn't have hindred team GB's chances of winning the tournament (remember Euro 2012?), but it would have raised the profile of the event in ways that the inclusion of Belamy or Richards could never do.

Craftsman

Beckham out

Total shame he hasn't been included. One of the few modern players to give his all whenever he pulled on an England shirt.

I really think he could've brought something to the team.

Grand Master

He wasn't selected, shame for him personally, but lets not sugar coat the fact he's been a great ambassador for the good of the game, he's been getting paid an absolute fortune by his sponsors, game sponsors, etc to be an ambassador for this period, at the age of 37 and the fact he's been all but semi retired for a couple of years, it was never going to happen, would it be fair to a young player who has done well to be dropped for him, just for sentimental reasons?

Don't get me wrong, i like Beckham, as i think although he's had bad times, he's been a model professional and been a better role model than most of the professionals we have just now.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut

I hope you'll remember the next time you're whinging about the end of competitive sports in your children's' state school that you supported the inclusion of a man as mobile as a training cone because he has a good brand and nice smile.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    Really? I don't recall that - When ?

Any URL?

z
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Loos

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/re ... 00k-281352

Football just shouldn't be at the Olympics (much like tennis and golf for 2016), as a tournament it's just too compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut

I hope you'll remember the next time you're whinging about the end of competitive sports in your children's' state school that you supported the inclusion of a man as mobile as a training cone because he has a good brand and nice smile.

I am all for competitive sport, teaching kids how to win and sometimes lose is an important life lesson

We have a euro championships and a world cup, no one takes Olympic football too seriously do they? tbh I don't think it should be included but that's another issue.

For me certain events in the Olympics are showcase events, bmx etc and I include football in that, I'm passionate about competative football but do you seriously believe any normal football fan when push comes to shove cares about football team GB? I don't I am an Englishman my national team is England, will I support team gb ? Of course, but it's a one off team set up to showcase the Olympics and therefore including DB, one of the most famous footballers on the planet particularly after his input in to the Olympics so far would just seem the right thing to do

The Olympics need positive role models as much as they need winners, sadly this must win culture has spawned a huge number of drug cheats, who would you rather have in a team, a slightly slower older sporting icon or a drug riddled 23 year old scoring goals, role models are as important as winners

The BBC are reporting that "Team GB" will contain only Welsh and English players.

The Scottish Football Association, along with their Northern Irish and Welsh counterparts, have taken no direct involvement with Team GB and have made it clear they do not want their players involved for fear of risking their countries' separate identities in world football.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18653453

Seems a little small minded to me.

Master

The Olympics need positive role models as much as they need winners, sadly this must win culture has spawned a huge number of drug cheats, who would you rather have in a team, a slightly slower older sporting icon or a drug riddled 23 year old scoring goals, role models are as important as winners
    I'm not sure which drug riddled 23 year old you're referring to. As for being an icon, the fact that Beckham is an icon is, to man, somewhat troubling - it shows that through a nice smile and careful brand management, you can achieve iconic status despite not being all that great, and despite finding a dozen different ways to under-perform at international level. If Beckham sends a message, it's one style over substance. Before anybody chips in to accuse me of the crime of hating Beckham, I don't - it's just an observation that as a player even at his peak he was at best at the top of the second tier, and that if he looked like Nicky Butt, he'd have about 1% of the fame he has.

Anyway, the whole thing is ridiculous - he still has a decent right foot but he's as immobile as my garden table these days and has no place in an ostensibly competitive team.

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

I think he should be going / playing for sure.

And so do 7 out of 10 people give or take.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... pics.html#

No one would give as much as he would have , And so what if he is 37, has toooooo much money , is a thick as shyte , one Banged his PA 10 years ago etc etc......

I was looking forward to seeing him play again and so was my son.

Master

And so do 7 out of 10 people give or take.
    That doesn't surprise me massively. The sort of celebrity fixated, ITV watching, Hello! reading morons who idolise Beckham are a symptom of so much that's wrong with this country.