closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MoneyMakingExpert.com

MoneyMakingExpert.com

Martin Lewis sells MoneySavingExpert.com for £87m

Under the terms of the deal, Mr Lewis, who started his website in 2003, will receive an initial £35m plus shares in MoneySupermarket.com worth £25m.

After three years he may receive a further £27m in cash and shares.

He said he would give some of his proceeds to charity.
    The boy done good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18295587

Re: MoneyMakingExpert.com

Giving £10m to charity I saw earlier.

Good on him. Always seems like a decent enough guy.

I'm pleased it has worked out so well for him - a lot of it was common sense and just trying to help people understand some of the financial minefields out there.
    It's just a matter of time...

After pocketing that lot he'll be a MoneySpendingExpert :lol:

Master

Apparently he does have a new baby on the way - so obviously needs nappy cash :D .

Not sure how he can still claim (if indeed he does) to be independent, unbiased and a consumer champion when so much of the proceeds will be tied to the future success of the parent company via share price etc. :?

Ah yes, I remember him well - reading the news on the Beeb. He always liked to end with a 'good news story' : now he has his own. Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad
    Apparently he does have a new baby on the way
    :shock:

I didn't realise that their turnover was so high. Great job selling for that amount of money too. Well done that man!

Craftsman

I wonder if he will split it all up into £85k per bank as he recommends everyone else do

He's been at the forefront of consumer issues for many a year, managed to keep the site fully independent and ad free and must have worked like a Trojan over the years so im my humble the man deserves it.

See his comments about the deal in full here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/s ... rket-group

Wouldn't it be funny if he became really reckless with him money and was seen blowing huge wads on yachts and things. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul
    Wouldn't it be funny if he became really reckless with him money and was seen blowing huge wads on yachts and things. :lol:
    He'd still manage to get a huge discount on it and pay on a 0% interest credit card with cashback :lol:

Master

Hoorah! A success story.well done that chap!

Master

A real British success story. Good luck to him.

Master

Well done , he has done well.

Seems like a really geninue nice chap. Deserves all the success he gets

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Acky
    I wonder if he will split it all up into £85k per bank as he recommends everyone else do
    Are there enough banks for that?

Master

While on one hand I applaud the guy for making a fortune out of nothing and working extremely hard doing it, I can't help but feel that he has had a hand in dissuading the British population from spending(including me) and taking us further into decline.
    While the consumer shouldn't be ripped off, he's made profit a dirty word and it's profit that helps to keep the cycle of spending going. While fighting the good fight against big business he's also had a hand in causing problems for small shops on the high street.
    He always said that he wanted to make millions out of his advice and in his case for him the end justified the means.

Well done Martyn on your success, just a shame about all those small businesses that you adversely affected.

Quote Originally Posted by K300
    While on one hand I applaud the guy for making a fortune out of nothing and working extremely hard doing it, I can't help but feel that he has had a hand in dissuading the British population from spending(including me) and taking us further into decline.
    While the consumer shouldn't be ripped off, he's made profit a dirty word and it's profit that helps to keep the cycle of spending going. While fighting the good fight against big business he's also had a hand in causing problems for small shops on the high street.
    He always said that he wanted to make millions out of his advice and in his case for him the end justified the means.

Well done Martyn on your success, just a shame about all those small businesses that you adversely affected.
    Surely he's encouraging people to spend their money more wisely, which in turn leaves them more to be spent on things like holidays and watches. I think things like having your pay frozen for the past 2-3 years is more of a deterrent to spending.

Anyway, well done Martyn

Presumably the people that bought his website now wish to secure a return on their investment by charging for advertising.

Or maybe charge to use the website.

:salute: great inspirational story and best of luck to him in his new endeavours..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion
    Presumably the people that bought his website now wish to secure a return on their investment by charging for advertising.

Or maybe charge to use the website.
    The company buying it already provided something in the region of 60% of the site's £16m click-through income (2011) so if usage of the site continues to grow as rapidly as it has in recent years, it probably makes a huge amount of sense.

Edit: Up-front charging for using the website strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

tgSEO

I think Martin has done very well for himself, he always said he wanted to make millions from the site, although it was tucked away in the small print.

So, as we are all calling him MoneyMakingExpert now, I see it's very interesting that someone from Yorkshire is now auctioning the domain:

http://www.MoneyMakingExpert.co.uk ... on eBay!

Maybe Martin should buy it with his loose change and lead the nation to become 'money-makers' rather than 'penny-pinchers' .... It'd be a great opportunity to kick-start the economy and for Martin to give something back, to those that helped him get where he is today ....he could probably monetize the new site and make more millions from that too, this time, taking the Nation with him.

Journeyman

cant blame somone for trying "moneymakingexpert.com" :lol:

Apprentice

I wonder if he will still switch utility companies every six months...... :lol: