closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BT-a bit poor

Master

BT-a bit poor

BT broadband/phone/line etc.

Normally pretty good TBH, about as good as it gets in our village, if anything goes wrong they are just a (long distance) call away, apparently the weather in Mumbai is a little wet this time of year, also, the Diamond Jubilee is a hot topic for small-talk ATM, I like a chat but not on my wife's mobile for 55mins at a time.

Over half term there's been a little bit of a meltdown at the local exchange here= no broadband, no incoming calls and eventually no calls at all.
    So many, many, many, many etc calls later I am asked to dismantle the BT socket in our place to test the line etc, I play along and we find out it's the local exchange and 3 days later all is back to normal, until I refit the socket and it gets bent as I put it back together, it's right behind the sideboard and it's a real PITA to get back in, so the socket doesn't work anymore.

BT want £174 for a new piece of plastic??
    WTF????

I already pay through the nose in the old fashioned belief that BT will give me a break when stuff like this happens;
    obviously not.

Always been happy before but this is rubbish.
    Need a better provider, is anyone better?

Grand Master

Re: BT-a bit sh*te

I binned BT years ago, Virgin Media do the whole package a lot easier and with no real problems.

If i were you i'd look on ebay for the part, get it for a fiver and fit it, save yourself the hassle of paying 200 quid!

You've damaged the face plate or the back plate ?

You can buy replacement face plates http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

If it's that back plate, I'd argue the fact with BT that you did what you were told and it's their DP (distribution point) they need to fix the issue FOC, especially when it was a fault with their exchange.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

Quote Originally Posted by wampa
    BT broadband/phone/line etc.

Normally pretty good TBH, about as good as it gets in our village, if anything goes wrong they are just a (long distance) call away, apparently the weather in Mumbai is a little wet this time of year, also, the Diamond Jubilee is a hot topic for small-talk ATM, I like a chat but not on my wife's mobile for 55mins at a time.

Over half term there's been a little bit of a meltdown at the local exchange here= no broadband, no incoming calls and eventually no calls at all.
    So many, many, many, many etc calls later I am asked to dismantle the BT socket in our place to test the line etc, I play along and we find out it's the local exchange and 3 days later all is back to normal, until I refit the socket and it gets bent as I put it back together, it's right behind the sideboard and it's a real PITA to get back in, so the socket doesn't work anymore.

BT want £174 for a new piece of plastic??
    WTF????

I already pay through the nose in the old fashioned belief that BT will give me a break when stuff like this happens;
    obviously not.

Always been happy before but this is rubbish.
    Need a better provider, is anyone better?
    Incredible story. Those former monopolists act as if they still were - same with France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom. Better off avoiding them if one has other options....
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    I binned BT years ago, Virgin Media do the whole package a lot easier and with no real problems.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227229
    RIAC

BT will still provide the line into the house regardless of who you go with, unless you have Virgin cable in the area, which I doubt.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad
    You've damaged the face plate or the back plate ?

You can buy replacement face plates http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

If it's that back plate, I'd argue the fact with BT that you did what you were told and it's their DP (distribution point) they need to fix the issue FOC, especially when it was a fault with their exchange.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm
    That website is brilliant, made me laugh out loud. Under £10 for the part too, thank you.

I have had the same conversation with my new best mates in Mumbai but something gets lot in translation as I just keep being passed onto the phone survey department, although I havent mentioned DPs yet!

Ah didn't know they sold the whole lot :)

Your welcome, glad to help.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad
    BT will still provide the line into the house regardless of who you go with, unless you have Virgin cable in the area, which I doubt.
    Exeter is as far as the Virgin Media cable advance recon SW corps has reached I believe, any further and the mention of a virgin has the wickerman wheeled out round these parts.

Re: BT-a bit poor

SwItched to BT internet a while back and never been happy with it. The home page fails to open more times than it does, and I've never been able to access or use the BT email, as when I attempt to log in I'm told that I don't have a BT internet account, yet they keep taking the direct debits!!!!. Phoning them has been a complete waste of time, as the only advice they gave was to log in to my account and change my details, and that they would send me an email to explain how to do it!! - total numpty's

I have been with BT for years and generally found them to be ok. When things have gone wrong though, they are useless.
    I had a load of problems with slow internet and VOIP problems, which I tried to resolve with BT 'helping' (from Mumbai or wherever their call centres are based) - all of which made no difference.

In the end, I just binned their home hub and bought a semi commercial Billion wireless router - since then I have not had a single problem with VOIP, wireless connection, net speed or networking.
    The home hubs are shocking poor when you use them a lot, as BT seem to lock them down so tight that they are hard to adjust/modify setting etc and become useless as they are just unreliable.

OP I can't image they got you to dismantle the box itself.

Normally if there are problems with a line they'll ask you to remove what's called the engineers face plate. It's the bottom panel part of the box that you normally plug your phone into. When you remove it you see another standard phone plug inside (which the back of the face plate plugs into). They then ask you to plug a phone directly into that internal plug and see if it solves the problem.

If you've broken the face plate it's about £10 for a new one - may as well get the one from the BT shop that has an extra filter, as that can improve your broadband speed.