closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stem release on this AS 1803 movement?

Stem release on this AS 1803 movement?

I'm trying to install this movement into a watch as a transplant, but I need to get the stem out first and have no idea how.

So if you saw this movement, what would be the most likely stem release? The tiny screw at the very top of the picture or the bigger one to the left of it? (or another method altogether?)

Re: Stem release on this AS 1803 movement?

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen
    I'm trying to install this movement into a watch as a transplant, but I need to get the stem out first and have no idea how.

So if you saw this movement, what would be the most likely stem release? The tiny screw at the very top of the picture or the bigger one to the left of it? (or another method altogether?)

Its the 'tiny' screw to the left below the stem.just loosen it enough to pull the stem out

Stem release on this AS 1803 movement?

Just to add, DO NOT undo it more than 1 and 1 half turns. If you do, much misery will ensue!

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try tomorrow. And try not to wreck anything. :bounce:

Yup, to re-iterate what Simes said, there is a short length of thread into the plate below that screw, if you take it out too far you will have to take the hands and dial off at the very least to get it all engaged again. If you have day/date complications, they need to come off also

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne
    Yup, to re-iterate what Simes said, there is a short length of thread into the plate below that screw, if you take it out too far you will have to take the hands and dial off at the very least to get it all engaged again. If you have day/date complications, they need to come off also
    +1......been there and done that on one of the first watches I worked on.

Paul

Thomas Reid

The AS1802 (in the watch I most often wear, and which I believe to be very similar to the 1803) has an interesting centre pipe/canon pinion system in order to get the elusive directly driven centre seconds. It has a second cannon pinion off the third wheel (offset cannon pinion). The centre pipe is fixed and has a hole for the seconds staff. The centre cannon pinion is driven by the offset one.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    The AS1802 (in the watch I most often wear, and which I believe to be very similar to the 1803) has an interesting centre pipe/canon pinion system in order to get the elusive directly driven centre seconds. It has a second cannon pinion off the third wheel (offset cannon pinion). The centre pipe is fixed and has a hole for the seconds staff. The centre cannon pinion is driven by the offset one.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I don't think the design was specifically to enable centre seconds, just a different way of doing things, Omega amongst others tried it too
    This type of offset centre wheel and friction pinion always seemed to wear more than the conventional set up in my experience

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by boatman
    I don't think the design was specifically to enable centre seconds, just a different way of doing things, Omega amongst others tried it too
    This type of offset centre wheel and friction pinion always seemed to wear more than the conventional set up in my experience
    You're telling me! It took me ages to get it to work properly. Mostly because it was difficult to get the the appropriate friction on the offset one. It also has an interesting backlash in the the minutes, as a result. However, after cannibalizing one and a lot of effort, I finally got it to work as I like.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Thomas Reid

I've just calibrated my microphone/soundcard/timer software with a 1 PPS GPS signal (held in the microphone). Just out of curiosity, I decided to have a look at the watch I was wearing (AS1802).

Although it is an inexpensive 18000vph movement from the early 1970s, with a bit of work one can still get it to perform reasonably well.

Best wishes,
    Bob

And a good looking watch too !

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a try tomorrow. And try not to wreck anything. :bounce:
    It took a bit longer for me to get working on this watch again, but today I had some time.

A succes in some ways, a failure in others. The stem came out easily enough, fixed the dial and hands onto the movement (the hands from the original quartz movement miraculously fitted staight on). But then my luck ran out. The stem on the handwind movement turned out to be a tiny bit higher than on the quartz, so the stem tube on the case barely doesn't line up with the stem hole in the movement :(

Maybe I can somehow sand off a bit on the inside of the case to make the dial sit a bit deeper in the case, but that'll be a whole new project.