closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fortis

Fortis

Hello all,

Of late ive started looking at Fortis watches, but i know little about them, trawled the net and whist i now know when the company started, it would be good to have some feedback from current and past owners regarding the quality of the product, if im repeating anyones previous question then please accept my apology.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Re: Fortis

Really love Fortis watches, the quality is great and rather underrated in my opinion. I had a Sinn 556 but got rid of it as the Fortis quality and finish was better. This is my Pilot Pro PVD bought from SC a few years ago - tool like but slightly refined i like to think. I've flipped quite a few watches but this is my everyday beater, the day/date is very handy at work.

I have a B42 Marinemaster (in white). Great watch. Unusual in being a diver that doesn't need a screw down crown - an advantage in that there is no thread to get stripped. My father in law has a cosmonauts pilots type watch. Again seems bomb proof.

I had Fortis Flieger, which is their entry level model. Had to sell it to fund Speedmaster.

Flieger had some kind of hardened steel case, it was almost impossible to put scratch on it. Normally watch picks scratches over the time, but not the Flieger. the only scratches it got were from slipped case opener, otherwise it was almost indestructible.

In my view Fortis are great value for the money.

Have a B42 Official Cosmonaut that I really like.
    Very impressed with the quality of both the watch and the excellent bracelet.
    AR coated both sides of the crystal makes for a very clear and refection free dial.
    Also love the high visability secondhand.
    Chunky without being too big or thick.

You won't go wrong with Fortis. I have a cosmonauts diver and a flieger 24hr, and I have no complaints with the quality of either. I'd happily buy another.

regards,
    Nick

Master

My only experience of Fortis is the Spacematic.
    Nice quality & great style.......

I am always happy to extol the virtues of this little known brand and will normally post a couple of pictures of my b-42 chrono but since I am on my iPad and it takes an age to load up photo bucket, you will have to do with my description. It is a great piece, a lesson in dial legibility, although those with aged sight might not agree, and it really is well put together. The case size is 42mm, a perfect size for me and it is quite tall, as it houses a 7750 chrono movement which might be a tad tall for some. The lug and strap design mitigate the height though and it wears really well. One mild regret is not getting the bracelet for it, not that the straps are bad in any way but I realise I actually prefer bracelets. It might also be because I have now been spoiled by the toshi strap on my prs20, to which many straps struggle to measure up to.

Journeyman

May be wrong, but they were much greater vfm about 18 months ago then they undertook a pretty weighty price increase policy.still sweet watches

I had the B-42 MarineMaster (sold it to fund my SBDX001) and the B-42 Kosmonaut (sold it to fund my 14060). In both cases I regret the need to sell the watch to buy another. They were just the watch in my collection that, at the time, made the most sense to sell to raise the amount of money I needed.

The screwed lugs on the B-42 series are the best designed lugs I've ever seen on any dive watch I've owned (I've owned a LOT of dive watches). They feature what I can only describe as a sort of carriage bolt design that allows strap changes using one screw driver (many watches require that you have two screw drivers to remove the screws, meaning you also need the watch in a watch vise to avoid slipping and scratching the case). The level of finish is excellent, readability is top notch. I highly recommend the brand.

Master

Have had three - still have the rare Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut Chronograph LE, with the Lemania 5100 movement. Excellent brand; very well made, with (mostly) very clear dial and hand layout and superb double ARC coating to crystal. Most are in the range 39mm to 42 mm cases, though the bezel on the B-42 takes it to 45mm across.

This is the Cosmonaut LE - probably the last watch I'd sell:

I did reviews on the other two:

Cosmonaut Chrono GMT: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162853

B-42 Pilot Professional GMT Chrono - reviewed elsewhere:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f251/fr...ml#post1697091

Ok gentlemen,
    I really appreciate your help with this, Fortis is now due to your input the watch i am looking to buy, now i just have to decide on the model,,,,doh!
    Thanks all.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany
    Really love Fortis watches, the quality is great and rather underrated in my opinion. I had a Sinn 556 but got rid of it as the Fortis quality and finish was better. This is my Pilot Pro PVD bought from SC a few years ago - tool like but slightly refined i like to think. I've flipped quite a few watches but this is my everyday beater, the day/date is very handy at work.

This is one of the nicest Fortis' out there IMO, and it does have some refinement to it... Lovely. Not a Fortis man myself, but this I'd love to wear !

Rather like the 40mm models, which seem to have a saner lug to lug length than the B42s. with their 54mm length. Rather better value than Sinn at the moment, admittedly without the (superfluous) technology. My top choice for a pilot type watch, either 3 hander or chrono. Quite a soft spot for the zany Spacematic too.

Fortis make some fantastic watches. These are the one I have or owned.

ish

The Russian space page: 8)
    http://www.federalspace.ru/main.php?id=2&nid=4162

These days the Speedys are depending on Fortis to get them into space! :P

john
    Every watch a story.

Journeyman

I also own 2 fortis watches, one original pilot watch and a B42 chrono, both are superb. Sadly no photos as I'm at work..