closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deleting personal data from an iMac?

Master

Deleting personal data from an iMac?

2 weeks ago, I got a new 27" iMac. After a couple of days, the screen developed a fault (one vertical row of "stuck" pixels), so Apple sent me a replacement machine. The faulty one is being collected tomorrow.

Is there an easy way of removing all my personal stuff before I send it back? Normally, I'd just reload the OS, but Apple don't supply disks with computers these days.

Re: Deleting personal data from an iMac?

Unfortunately, only replacing and disposal of the whole hard drive is secure.

However, given circumstances, without install disks you should pay attention to:

Desktop
    Documents
    Downloads
    Movies
    Music
    Pictures
    Applications (if you've downloaded Steam)
    ~/Library folder

Lastly, delete personal entries from the Keychain as it contain your passwords to internet services

I believe you can boot the iMac using the recovery partition then securely format the OS partition.

Master

Using recovery looks to be the best way. Just as well I have a fast broadband connection, as it's a 4gb download.

Oh.. in that case through recovery then.

If you have a utility like Techtool Pro you can securely wipe the disc to FBI standards. If its going back thats easiest.

Deleting personal data from an iMac?

Scrubnut. If he starts an FBI grade wipe now it won't be done by tomorrow. :)

If you boot using recovery, start disk utility, from there you can do a 3 x zero out wipe. That will probably take a while to complete an is definitely enough I'd say!!

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster
    Scrubnut. If he starts an FBI grade wipe now it won't be done by tomorrow. :)

If you boot using recovery, start disk utility, from there you can do a 3 x zero out wipe. That will probably take a while to complete an is definitely enough I'd say!!
    Yes true...as you say though if he lets it run overnight he can get a good few wipes in to do the job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gallenos7
    Unfortunately, only replacing and disposal of the whole hard drive is secure.

However, given circumstances, without install disks you should pay attention to:

Desktop
    Documents
    Downloads
    Movies
    Music
    Pictures
    Applications (if you've downloaded Steam)
    ~/Library folder

Lastly, delete personal entries from the Keychain as it contain your passwords to internet services
    This isn't quite correct, yo can reinstall the OS (from the supplied discs) and format the drive with the extended format options. You can do a full zero base wipe of the disk which will give most recovery services a major headache

Master

Format and reinstall done. Took less than an hour.

I'm not too bothered about having any personal data on there, as I'm sure that Apple will zero the disk after they replace the display panel. Just didn't want it too easily read by the techs.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    Format and reinstall done. Took less than an hour.

I'm not too bothered about having any personal data on there, as I'm sure that Apple will zero the disk after they replace the display panel. Just didn't want it too easily read by the techs.
    No, they won't zero it.

Your warranty has a disclaimer that they take no responsibility for any data loss or compromise :)