closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fallkniven U1 penknife heads up

Fallkniven U1 penknife heads up

Since this isn't a sales post thought G&D best place to put it. The Fallkniven factory are offering their UK legal U1 folding knives with bone handles at 70% off at the moment. They usually retail for £155 but going halves with a friend I've ordered two at £64 each delivered from Sweden.

http://www.fallkniven.com/en

http://www.heinnie.com/Fällkniven-U1-Bone/p-0-0-1902/

"This folding knife is a bit special – it combines modern steel technology with a hundred year old, folding knife design. Mod. U1 lacks a blade lock. This means that, in many countries, it will most likely be considered as a pocket knife, and therefore be allowed to be carried in public places, with the exception for restaurants, sports arenas and school grounds. The blade is instead held in place with an springsteel key, a technique which has been in use for more than 100 years and which ensures that the blade does not fold. The blade is made of laminate powder steel, our famous 3G-steel, and this guarantees edge retention beyond the ordinary. The handle is made from stainless liners with the sides in beautiful cocobolo, ocean blue, or ochre yellow, smooth bone. With nail-nicks in both sides of the blade back, the knife is completely symmetrical and is as easily handled by both left-handed and right-handed users.

The knife is delivered with a slimfit black cordura sheath.

U1
    Length folded: 86 mm
    Blade length: 62 mm
    Blade thickness: 2,5 mm
    Weight: 76 g (2.2 oz)
    Steel: 3G
    Hardness: 62 HRC
    Handle material: bone
    Locking: Slipjoint
    "

Craftsman

Re: Fallkniven U1 penknife heads up

Cracking little slippie... And sheeple kosher....

Thanks for that - I'd been toying with the idea of getting one for ages, but baulked at the price. Purchase now made.

Lovely little pocket knife. I bought one a few years back when they were that kind of price and carry it quite often.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I registered to buy one and they sent me back my password in an email in plain text.

If they care that little about my personal data there's no way I'm giving them my card details.

Stay away folks.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea
    I registered to buy one and they sent me back my password in an email in plain text.

If they care that little about my personal data there's no way I'm giving them my card details.

Stay away folks.
    Hang on a moment...

No card details are stored on their site. Payment is directed through Auriga Epayments - a widely used (Swedish based) card transactions company.

Give the guys a chance, FHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian

Stay away folks.
    Hang on a moment...

No card details are stored on their site. Payment is directed through Auriga Epayments - a widely used (Swedish based) card transactions company.

No.

If you take your customer's data seriously you can't do that.

Seriously. This has been my day job for years. Anyone doing that in any place I've worked would be fired.

Passwords are special. Almost all are reused elsewhere. They cannot be sent around the internet in plain text.

It is stupid.

http://plaintextoffenders.com

Craftsman

I fancy one, anyone else and we can share the P&P?

Stay away folks.
    Hang on a moment...

No.

If you take your customer's data seriously you can't do that.

Seriously. This has been my day job for years. Anyone doing that in any place I've worked would be fired.

Passwords are special. Almost all are reused elsewhere. They cannot be sent around the internet in plain text.

It is stupid.

http://plaintextoffenders.com
    Might not stop me from buying anything here but not good.

Unfortunately quite common. For example Which! (who should know better) do this - sending user names and passwords in plain text.

Craftsman

Reviews on Heinnie Haynes site dont look very good for the U1 :shock: .

Craftsman

Yes after reading reviews think I will leave it too. Poor quality in parts app, maybe I get the spyderco in SC...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by racer66
    Yes after reading reviews think I will leave it too. Poor quality in parts app, maybe I get the spyderco in SC...

i would its a cracker :)

Thank you for the heads up, I've opted for the yellow bone.

Mine arrived on Friday and I have to say I like it very much.

I was interested to read the reviews commenting on the finish, and whilst I sort of see what they mean about the angular corners etc, it's part of a design rather than lack of finishing : mine's put together beautifully. I think it oozes quality.

Its the only knife I have at the moment that is a legal "carrier" so now I looking for a nice lanyard...

Craftsman

Looks like I missed the boat on this one as they're back up to £155 :(

Cannot pass up an opportunity to praise HH even if slightly OT. Incredible service, never experienced anything else like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowie
    Looks like I missed the boat on this one as they're back up to £155 :(
    Still appear to be on sale here: http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/categ ... -sale/sale

Mine arrived on Saturday. It's a very well made knife with a good quality feel to it. I'm very pleased.

The only thing I have to complain about is that I probably didn't need another knife :D

Craftsman

Any edc pics for people's new buy?

Quote Originally Posted by racer66
    Any edc pics for people's new buy?
    I'll try and get some pics up for you in the next few days.

I was interested to read the reviews commenting on the finish, and whilst I sort of see what they mean about the angular corners etc, it's part of a design rather than lack of finishing : mine's put together beautifully. I think it oozes quality.
    Agreed, mine is beautifully made, I think the posted reviews were a tad unfair (as usual, folks are quick to moan about something, much less inclined to go to the bother of writing praise). Great wee knife IMO :)

I'll try and get a few picures of mine up when I get the chance.
    By the time i've been getting home from work these days there isn't a lot of light left for taking photo's :(

Here a few pics. As others have said this is of great quality. Yes there are some sharp edges at the back of the blade, though I think that this is more part of the design and way it is made rather than any quality control issue.

looks good to me; what are the ramifications of carrying a knife around- are the police still suspicious of you?

Quote Originally Posted by media_mute
    looks good to me; what are the ramifications of carrying a knife around- are the police still suspicious of you?
    Of you, yes. :wink:

The law surrounding knives is more complex than it need be, and gives the Police far too much discretion in deciding whether to try to prosecute someone carrying any kind of knife or article capable of amounting to an offensive weapon.

As a daily "carrier", non-locking, folding knives with a blade <3" will put you in the most defensible (legally, that is) position if challenged, but context is all.

This is a good summary of the law but is not entirely up to date:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8233

Thanks for the heads up - just placed my order!

Think the deal is off again now, but out of interest what was the postage to UK? Can't seem to find it on the webpage without registering or partially processing a transaction instead.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by howie77
    Think the deal is off again now, but out of interest what was the postage to UK? Can't seem to find it on the webpage without registering or partially processing a transaction instead.

Cheers
    It was SEK180, and the deal is still on although they only had 4 left in stock when I ordered.

It was 180SEK which is about £16 I think
    Not cheap but it got here quickly all the way from Sweden.

Thanks both - quick of the mark! I suppose reasonable offset against the discount on the knife, and if delivered securely, quite alright.

It does annoy me though when a website doesn't publish their international postage, so then having to add item to basket, register etc etc just to get an idea of shipping.

Thanks for the responses :)

Craftsman

all gone - thank God for that. i've spent the last week sitting on my hands as i *really* didn't need another EDC knife - lovely though they look. so tempting at that price though - would've jusst been greedy though as it would have ended up as a safe queen - so rather let someone else get the enjoyment :D

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull
    Thanks for the heads up - just placed my order!
    Knife just arrived and very pleased with it - really sweet object, and beautifully built.

Laughed at the extras in the package. A nice sticker... and some logo'd plasters! :lol: Love it!

Craftsman

Hmm maybe I should have got one after all. The plasters sound cool, and a nice touch. Like it when companies do things like that.

Master

Why wouldn't you be allowed to carry a pocket knife in a restaurant?