closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MX-5

MX-5

Is driving an MX-5 cool? Apparently, it's not really cool; more 'mildly endearing'.

Link: MX-5 drivers convinced they look cool

Apologies for posting this, but it's funny, so yah-boo-sucks. :D

Re: MX-5

No not cool for looks - but cool for the experience - I think a lot of owners are truly "in the know" and enjoy the pure simple driving experience for what it is - great value for money - however, it is not cool to the masses :shock:
    It's just a matter of time...

Funny, I think the author needs to take another look, every twenty something i see seems to have one at the moment, including my 23 year old daughter and most of her friends.

Master

Felt pretty good to me. (Curborough test day last week)
    Although I probably should have told the missus' what I was doing to her car though? :wink:

Master

Supprises a lot of people on track :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    Funny, I think the author needs to take another look, every twenty something i see seems to have one at the moment, including my 23 year old daughter and most of her friends.
    Fine for twenty year old girls but I can't imagine riving one myself :|

I was thinking about the new Jaguar F-Type until I saw the price. I then wondered if it was three times as good as an MX-5. When my wife had one, it was great fun to borrow to chuck around the lanes, but not really cool.

The Missus has a nice 2 year old one which is a dead pretty little car, drives well, despite being an automatic, good sound system, for a convertible. A really good useable day to day convertible, but I found myself feeling a self conscious driving it yesterday, lest anyone think it was mine........... More my problem than the car's , I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by GC8
    Most disparaging comments come from people with no experience of the cars.
    And Jeremy Clarkson

My mate had one a long time ago & no kidding he is a hairdresser so you can imagine the flak he got, but admittedly it was good fun to drive.

I remember Richard Hammond reviewing a later version of the MX5 on an earlyish episode of the new Top Gear, you know, when they used to review cars...and he was quite impressed iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    Fine for twenty year old girls but I can't imagine riving one myself :|
    I've driven a few on road and track and they are fabulous cars - imo opinion if you were thinking of something like an MG roadster the MX-5 would be the much better choice. They handle very well for what they are - I keep saying I'll buy one - but not giving up the Porsche just yet and I'll probably by a super eco shopper instead of another sports car - I was eagerly awaiting VW's bluesport convertible which would have possibly ticked most boxes - but it has unfortunately been shelved :(
    It's just a matter of time...

slightly off topic but for a value for money and a fantastic car mazda also have the RX-7

i'll be in the market for a cheap run around in a few months and you could do a lot worse than a MX5.

Somewhere I have photos of Takuma Sato driving me round a track in an MX5, he loved it.

In 2003 it won Autocar's best handling car group test, beating 31 other cars including the GT3, R400, M12 GTO 3-R and Atom.
    "A man of little significance"

I agree, GC8. I've had a 944 turbo as well, and I think an MX5's more fun to drive. As for whether it's "cool" - I don't really care. Who decides what "cool" is?

padders72

All they need is a little more go - which is relatively easily arranged with a supercharger and a MegaSquirt II ECU.
    Or a Flyin Miata turbo kit for even more. With 230hp at the wheels, I dont think mine is all that limp wristed!

MX5..........? Submariner...........?

You decide............. :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd

I have both. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd

I have both. What's your point?
    Agreed, I've got no time for all that 'hairdresser's car' stuff: MX5s are roadsters, in a tradition of small open cars that goes back many years, and they don't need to be fast to be fun.

Must admit I never rated my MkII as highly as my previous MkI as a driver's car, nor did it feel as bullet-proof, and have to say that my current E46 3-Series (admittedly with various factory fitted M-Sport mods) is almost as much fun to drive as the MkII.

But there's just no substitute for a simple open topped two seater...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Most disparaging comments come from people with no experience of the cars.
    And Jeremy Clarkson
    Rob, are you honestly proposing JC to us as a paragon of motoring knowledge. Im aware the he isnt really the bell-end that he comes across as, but another gem of JC wisdom is that a Porsche 997 model 911 is nothing more than a VW Beetle. Obviously bollocks and intended as entertainment, not wisdom to be shared and repeated.

That said, I dont believe that JC does criticise the car, NA, NB or NC - throw away quips aside
    Personally I'm no great fan of the Blessed Clarkson, but I happen to have kept two reviews of the MX-5 he has done for the Sunday Times. Despite neither of them actually containing the word 'cool', they are both extremely complimentary and positive. Indeed to quote the final couple of paragraphs from the most recent one:

• "I realise that the hairy-chested among you will be scoffing and tutting and heading straight for this column on the internet so you can speak your mind. You will say 'girl's car' and 'gay' and all sorts of other things."

"Well, that's fine. You waste your money on a Mustang or a Ferarri. The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I'm giving it five stars is because I can't give it 14."

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Somewhere I have photos of Takuma Sato driving me round a track in an MX5, he loved it.

In 2003 it won Autocar's best handling car group test, beating 31 other cars including the GT3, R400, M12 GTO 3-R and Atom.
    Lets not get carried away, That list is out of context, and MX5 out handling a Noble or an Atom, what was the leveling factor? my guess was price

I also have a 924S (which I think is a superb car and not just for the price) and a big Healey (people always without fail refer to being 'hairy chested' in articles on Healeys). I also have a Boxster S and the MX5 outhandles it. It doesn't outperform or outgrip the Boxster but the MX is huge fun to drive on road or track and you can use all of its performance, something you can't do with a lot of other cars. The Noble is a fantastic car and has excellent handling but it's not so good in the wet (where the MX excels). I've also driven an Atom in the wet and it leaked and was crap. The MX5 is very much like the MGB, another under-appreciated sports car (I've got one of those as well). As far as driving fun is concerned I'd rather drive an MX5 and enjoy every second of it than drive the Boxster, Noble or Atom and only be using the performance 50% of the time. Ok, I know that doesn't necessarily define what makes a good handling car but certainly in the Boxster I have to be approaching its limits before I have to get involved in keeping it on the road. Yeah, it's comfortable and can string some corners together but you as a driver don't get much out of it until you're well north of the speed limit.