TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Car you've owned?

Re: Favourite Car you've owned?

1970 Citroen DS

Quote Originally Posted by third time lucky
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy
    Seems to be a good topic for 'pub' chat :) .....

Mine would be my old Lancia Integrale 16v. Just such a great car in many ways; I've owned quicker, but not with the driver/car connection the 'grale gave :D Cool aesthetics (imho) as well.

Cheers
    Always had a thing for those in any guise, but in red they look awesome.

Had a mate buy one and he said the clutch could go at anytime and it cost him a fortune to keep the car on the road and eventually admitted defeat and sold it at a huge loss.
    MIne wasn't too bad. But I did buy from a specilaist to try and ensure I got a 'good one'. :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT
    Quote Originally Posted by drive2us
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Healey. Had it since I was 21.

please post more photos, that's a beautiful car.
    I knew a chap who used to race (hillclimb) a Healey :) Before he moved on to an old V8, ex F1 (I think) - he kept the Healey though :)
    Here's the one :) anyone know the car? :? .......

from my more regular hillclimbing days,a few names come to mind...maybe a Gould v8,or a repco-brabham?
    Goat

I'm fairly certain it's a Lola T142 (ex F5000 not F1).........Roger Deans' one , I think

While we''re posting hillclimb cars - can't resist a repost of my lean , green money-munching machine

PS Nice Healey, BTW :D

Master

Rover 200 BRM. I loved that thing. 1800 16v VVC engine (same as a S1 Elise 111S), close ratio gearbox with Torsen Diff (hooked up sooooo well and had a lovely direct feel), blood red leather which was slippy and offered little grip (great for when out for a spirited drive), low suspension, and looks which pretty much all women hated!

I added a couple of go faster/noisier bits - various induction kits and a one off Piper exhaust system for instance, and did some subtle upgrades, and the only reason it left me was because it was written off - while I wasn't even in it.

I've had faster and more refined cars but as a fun package, it was a cracker.

RIP Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by mackay45
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L
    Am I allowed an equal favourite to my Exige, if so my Chimaera from a couple of years ago?

Most certainly :drunken:

I meant to say, I like the sticker on your Exige :lol:
    Thanks, apparently only ever TVR to be painted in this colour, made it interesting to get touch-up

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

i agree with the rover sentiment
    had a beautiful monza red 1976 Rover P6B

now have a rover 75

i am australian but with a strange liking for british cars
    its a leather thing!

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet

I'm fairly certain it's a Lola T142 (ex F5000 not F1).........Roger Deans' one , I think

While we''re posting hillclimb cars - can't resist a repost of my lean , green money-munching machine

PS Nice Healey, BTW :D [/quote]

I think you could well be right :) Roger, yes I reckon that's the chap. He was staying at the same B&B as me at my first event, so we chatted a bit :)

Nice porkie :D

Probably my joint two favorites...the daily driver and the weekend toy...I'll let you guess which was which!

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel
    Probably my joint two favorites...the daily driver and the weekend toy...I'll let you guess which was which!

Nice Vette. Is that an Eclat in the background? :)

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Audi S3. Only car I have ever gone out for a trip in purely to drive it, no destination 8)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

TVR Tasmin/280i.

I fought tooth and nail for so, so long keeping that thing going as my daily driver, week in week out, all year round. It was a losing battle though and eventually I had to just give up for the car's sake as much as mine. Jobs kept getting bodged so that I could use it for work the next day and before I could get round to going back and doing it properly, something else would come up requiring immediate attention. I was either sell it to someone that could spent the time/money on it or just run it into the ground until it was no good for anything other than scrapping. Still miss it like crazy though. In Germany now, I believe...would love to see how it's doing.

BMW E46 M3 Cabriolet - Carbon black with cinnamon leather.

No car will ever surpass the combination of that car, the feeling of freedom and youth (I was 27 when I bought it) and just good times I had with it..felt on top of the World. Even if I bought a Ferrari now, that youth will not quite be there again...you need to have some things when you're young enough to enjoy them. Can't afford one now..watches have taken over. :lol:

Looked exactly like this (image taken from 'net).

Gone now but never forgotten!

Favourite Car you've owned?

My first car; a 1976 British Leyland Mini in white with blue velour upholstery. Now that's living the dream...

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by rixy
    Mine was a 330 coupe m sport loved it until the head gasket went :(

Mark
    Mine is a 320 coupe without M sport package... I ike the looks and interior, but hate the drive of the M technic suspension, it's just insanely stiff and kills all comfort. Allthough I would love a 6 in line, current petrol pricing makes it easier to live with the 4 cil.

Master

Thinking back over all the cars I've owned in the last 20+ years, I would have to say that my favourite one is my current one.

A Ford Fusion Sport - 3.5lt V6 AWD and full black leather heated seats. It is so easy to drive with the 6spd auto (with manual selection if needed), decent poke when you put your foot down and IMHO quite subtle 8)

And Mrs Bond has agreed, that when the time comes to turn in our Focus (which hasn't missed a beat since I've owned it) we will keep this (or a 2012 version, with the Astonesque grill :wink: ) as the main family car and have something beginning with P and ending in Orsche :wink:

Craftsman

The colour caught my eye but the drive caught my soul.

Gotta be the Elise I reckon, the 911 was certainly the more complete car, but always a compromise (for me), whereas the Elise does what I want it to do so, well, and is unbelievably rewarding to drive:

Now, if it were only a little bit more reliable ... ;)

Master

Just took out my own Elise at lunchtime today to meet its new owner. Sun shining, dry, empty B roads, roof off, "Who's Next" up loud......................

Quote Originally Posted by tertius
    ...................and is unbelievably rewarding to drive:
    Yep :D

CSL:

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    The colour caught my eye but the drive caught my soul.
    Are you a hairdresser? :D
    "A man of little significance"

Master

SEAT Toledo. Admittedly, the competition wasn't very steep :cry:

For me it has to be the current weekend toy.....Mk1 TVR Tuscan! the noise is worth it alone!

This was a lot of fun....

However, this is my favourite, simply because I can't use it all the time!

Journeyman

Favourite Car you've owned?

This one.... my daily driver.

This has really made me think, i realise that my favorite car is mixed up with my happiest memories,
    3 X BMW Fav being Z1
    4 X Jaguars Fav being V12 E-Type
    2 X Citroens Fav being 2CV
    2 X Range Rover (both horrible)
    3 X Saab Fav being 900i
    3 X Volvo Fav being T5 Estate
    2 X Audi Fav being Coupe convertible
    2 X Porsche Fav being 911 Speedster

But a fanfare for Fiat, of the 2 ive had, in 1987 i had an Uno Turbo IE, a total hoot, leaving Yorkshire at midnight, driving through the night to Oban for a weeks diving, around 5 am seeing the sun rise over Stirling Castle in the rear view mirror, blistering acceleration, and a huge smile, that silly little Fiat gave me 6 months of pure fun, not just the car, but the memories.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by number2
    This has really made me think, i realise that my favorite car is mixed up with my happiest memories,
    3 X BMW Fav being Z1
    4 X Jaguars Fav being V12 E-Type
    2 X Citroens Fav being 2CV
    2 X Range Rover (both horrible)
    3 X Saab Fav being 900i
    3 X Volvo Fav being T5 Estate
    2 X Audi Fav being Coupe convertible
    2 X Porsche Fav being 911 Speedster
    You've owned all of these? :shock:

Craftsman

Lotus Elan Sprint coupe in JPS colours. I owned it for 9 years and wish I had it now :cry:

Merc R129 320SL

My fav will always be my old Ford P100 pickup with a bench seat 3 in the front and unlimited in the back. Followed by my 1973 VW camper.

My beautiful Audi RS4 Cab. I bought it 4 years old with 15k on the clock. Had it for a year but just couldn't afford to run it any more. Would have kept it if it had been a second car but for everyday use it was hopeless. I really miss it but that's life.

Ford Capri 2.8i Special 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hotblack944
    I've owned this for the last 15 years:

It still brings a smile to my face every time I get in it.
    Very nice. Had mine 5 years now. Quick (even quicker now - actually damn quick - after a trip to Promax), comfortable and surprisingly practical. What more can you ask?

Blog Entries

My 156 1.8ts

Yes im afraid to admit i have...... :cry:
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

oz-bear

1965 Mustang fastback. The job was a 3 yr strip down and rebuild from the ground up.... but it turned out great.

oz-bear

Only problem was the 1965 fastback turned out to be a show pony. So I went out and bought a '66 Mustang Coupe as classic driver. I ended up doing a little work on it also ... especially to the engine ... couldn't help myself !

My curent best car - MK1 ford focus RS! Animal!!

Journeyman

This is my favourite car so far. But it could be the honey moon period.

My previous Lotus was a nice car as well.

My beloved VX220. Bought seven years ago, with 13k on the clock. I've now added 70k to that total and i cannot ever imagine selling it.

Ford Capri 2.0 S from 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by oz-bear
    Only problem was the 1965 fastback turned out to be a show pony. So I went out and bought a '66 Mustang Coupe as classic driver. I ended up doing a little work on it also ... especially to the engine ... couldn't help myself !
    Nice to see I'm not alone in liking Yank Tanks, apart from the Vettes out of the various T/A's I owned this was my favourite. Not Black and a 79 rather than an 78 but it was a surprisingly quick and decent handling big motor :)

Master

Lotus Elan Sprint for me

Sorry no images of my own

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=i...3l15l0.frgbld.

Brian

[/quote]

Is that Scandal Green?

I still regret selling this one:

C43 AMG, anonymous looking C class (mine was debadged) with a 300HP V8 under the bonnet. Very subtle, few people recognised it for what it was, but more than one 911 was scalped by that kiddie :)

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman

My very first car was a bight yellow Ciroen 2CV. Was it my best car - undoubtedly not but it was certainly my most memorable!

I bought it for £349 and sold it for £400 after 2 years but I did have to spend £60 on a new exhaust. The new exhaust took 5 mph off its top speed! It was so light that when I had a flat my mates simply lifted it off the ground on to an extended jack. The dashboard gear stick was unique and changing down from fourth needed a dip through second. I also recall pulling on the handbrake so hard that it came out the fitting. Sitting at the front of the queue of traffice at the top of the hill the next 20 seconds were a tense session fitting the handbrake back into its fitting before the lights changed while balancing clutch and accelator. Overtaking was improved by the art of slipstreaming but that is another story.

Best, perhaps not but certainly the most memorable!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Healey. Had it since I was 21.

My mate turned up in one of these many years ago when we were out on the town.
    Cherry red it was absolutely gorgeous. After a few drinks (my mate Gerald included) the inevitable happened……we challenged him to show us what this baby could do.
    While we’d been in the pub a fog had come down, a real pea souper. Four of us squeezed into the tiny AH. Me in the front my mate in the back with a girlie on his lap, and a slightly inebriated Gerald at the wheel. The further we went the thicker the fog got….the more the bird in the back squealed the faster Gerald went, we where flying into the abyss, the AH was roaring the bird was screaming, the scene was utter bedlam. Through the 10 foot visibility I spotted a faint blue light.
    Gerald I think you better slow down mate I nervously warned…why he exclaimed….because I think that’s the rozzers in front! Where he asked leaning over the wooden steering wheel, all of a sudden he slammed on the anchors! No seat belts had to be worn in those days, the bird came into the front with me and Gerald.
    As we came to a stop, we saw that a Police motor cyclist had pulled up in the middle of the road.
    I was busy pushing the bird back into the back of the car, when PC Plod bangs on the window………….he doesn’t look happy. Gerald cranks down the window….is there a problem? The Copper loses it and drags Gerald by the throat from the car. Do you know how fast you were going……….my BMW was flat out……….I was scared……you’re a bloody lunatic…….I going to throw the book at you etc. At this point the bird leans out the window and asks, Gerald is this going to take long because my boyfriends waiting back at the pub for me!

Lovely car great memories :lol:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by TiFanatic

Is that Scandal Green?[/quote]

Yes it's scandal green.A bit of a marmite colour, but I liked it. Wish I could have bought the TVR and still had the Elise in the garage.

I had an E30 325i in zinnoberrot, probably the most fun I've ever had in a car. This picture isn't of my car but it was exactly like it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

For character and memories, the 1984 4L diesel Land Cruiser I paid 1300 Australian dollars for last year would have to be at the top of the heap.

I must have got more questions and compliments on that beast from car and non-car people alike than every other 4-wheeled vehicle I've owned combined! In fact, the Aston Martin I was parked beside in the last photo was completely ignored at the restaurant I pulled up to, while the comely waitress asked me about my Landy. This caused much frustration to the fellow at the next table, who had his DB9 keys rather conspicuously displayed.