closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which watch would James Bond wear today?

Re: Which watch would James Bond wear today?

I thought Bond wore a Rolex originally because that was issued. Maybe I've got that wrong. I don't know exactly when Rolex was issued to the Royal Navy. If though he wears issued gear, wouldn't he today wear CWC?

Complete with the authentic, just a little narrow striped ( discussions on colour of stripes aside ) nylon band. A good call but maybe a little traditional?

I think a Traser stainless steel model (commander ) might just sneak in; if practicality is the main driver. The low height fits under shirt cuffs, big enough to serve as an improvised knuckle duster ( yeah ok, use any watch If you are really determined to break your knuckles ) and super bright lume for those intimate low light but ever so vital to mission/national security moments.

Master

I read the latest Bond book - Carte Blanche - a few months ago and remember that around Pg 38, Bond is described as putting on his Rolex - from memory believe it to be a Submariner ND and he drives a Bentley Continental GT and has a E-Type for the weekends

Master

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond
    I read the latest Bond book - Carte Blanche - a few months ago and remember that around Pg 38, Bond is described as putting on his Rolex - from memory believe it to be a Submariner ND and he drives a Bentley Continental GT and has a E-Type for the weekends

I think it was a 34mm Rolex in Carte Blanche, also mentioned he wore a Breitling while he was posing as a "bad guy" in the book, but thats his characters choice :D

"In Carte Blanche, James Bond wears a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date reference 115200 with black dial and domed bezel. It is a 34mm watch with a steel bracelet"

Personally i think the 115200 is a perfect choice for Bond.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Breguet XX. hehehe. Matt . Please dude. Do some research on that. bond would.
    Rather than telling me that I am wrong, how about explaining why I am wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt
    In the early fifties when Fleming first imagined a Rolex onto Bond's Wrist, Rolex had a very different reputation to the one that they have today. At that point they had levered the Oyster case into a reputation for really robust waterproof watches that, while heavy by the standards of the day, were basically the top end of manufacture no nonsense tool watch territory.

So, a high end manufacture producing a credible tool watch that is not the obvious choice (Rolex may be the obvious choice today, but not then, the field was far more open at that time.) but which also has an excellent name.

I get the Bremont point, but I think they are just too new for a snob like Bond, so I'd go with the JLC Polaris or the Breguet XX myself.
    Thats a very intelligent post. Its likely in fact that, given the reputation, default-purchase-of the-recently-upper-working-class-status and effect on image rollies have nowadays (Im talking real world, not watch forums), Bond would very probably be disinclined to go anywhere near a sub.
    He'd probably sport something either far more practical, or something a bit "in the know".
    Purely academic however - James Bond currently wears a PO.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo
    Been wearing a Seamaster of some sort of for the last 50 years, according to a recent marketing effort ;)

Took a while for the CWC to pop up but I think he's more likely to wear a Nite or Pulsar if current contracts are anything to go by. If lugxury fine Swiss pieces are worn, they sure aren't worn on duty, more in the bar afterwards.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

In the early fifties when Fleming first imagined a Rolex onto Bond's Wrist, Rolex had a very different reputation to the one that they have today. At that point they had levered the Oyster case into a reputation for really robust waterproof watches that, while heavy by the standards of the day, were basically the top end of manufacture no nonsense tool watch territory.

So, a high end manufacture producing a credible tool watch that is not the obvious choice (Rolex may be the obvious choice today, but not then, the field was far more open at that time.) but which also has an excellent name.

I get the Bremont point, but I think they are just too new for a snob like Bond, so I'd go with the JLC Polaris or the Breguet XX myself.
    Thats a very intelligent post. Its likely in fact that, given the reputation, default-purchase-of the-recently-upper-working-class-status and effect on image rollies have nowadays (Im talking real world, not watch forums), Bond would very probably be disinclined to go anywhere near a sub.
    He'd probably sport something either far more practical, or something a bit "in the know".
    I think this is definitely the problem. There's no doubt Bond is an extension of Fleming (or an idealised version), who was a public-school-educated, upper-middle class product of the last century. Rolex wasn't the global, aspirational brand it is today. But also, branding wasn't as all-pervasive in all walks of life as it is today. I'm not sure there is actually an equivalent in this era, as any brand tries to become a global, aspirational household name.

Given Bond's snobbish attitude and sophisticated tastes, his watch couldn't be something that the common man aspires to, it would have to be an exclusive, tough, tool watch, but it couldn't be "flash".

My vote would be for a vintage heirloom from his father - an old-style Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

My vote would be for a vintage heirloom from his father - an old-style Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.
    Actually, that takes this way of looking at the relationship between Fleming and Bond to a far more satisfying conclusion whether vintage or modern. I agree.

Master

Definitely a CWC........

Journeyman

I think a nice Rolex would be the option..

but can't go wrong with Omega..

Master

I think if he had the choice, definitely a Panerai :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin
    I thought Bond wore a Rolex originally because that was issued. Maybe I've got that wrong. I don't know exactly when Rolex was issued to the Royal Navy. If though he wears issued gear, wouldn't he today wear CWC?
    Long time since I read that book (On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I think), but I'm sure his Rolex was issued to him by Q.

Master

Ah yes - he's very much an "in the know" sort of person. The particular way that his martini is made. The custom-blended cigarettes, the briefcase made by I-forget-who. The Amherst Villiers supercharger fitted to his Bentley.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

In OHMSS his original Rolex got trashed after being used as a knuckle duster and Fleming has Bond musing about what to replace it with:

"A Rolex? Probably. They were on the heavy side, but they work. And at least you could see the time in the dark with those big phosphorous numerals".

This suggests to me that Bond was free to choose the watch he wanted.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Rolex Datejust ?

T'would be the issue citizen bn0000-04 300m as to sbs.

I haven't read the whole thing but I think it has already been answered... he would wear the brand that paid more for such a product placement :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Master

Bond was a Commander RN, but not a seafarer - presumably, like Fleming, he was recruited into the Naval Intelligence Division as a RNVR officer - ie, a reservist. Fleming was also a journalist, so I'd imagine the modern day Bond as someone who'd joined the RN in a role related to a previous background as, say, a Press & PR Officer (probably a contemporary of David Cameron at Eton and thereafter), then transferred into the Intelligence side of things, in the course of which he'd have been seconded to the SBS for training and service (also part of the RN). He'd be a charming, convivial host when he needed, but also ruthless when needed.

Omega is pretty popular with serving RN officers - I think they have some sort of discount scheme, and whilst a 2255.80 GMT would be the sensible choice, combining a dive bezel, quick-set hour hand and 2nd time zone (for all that travel); I suspect that, given his background wouldn't have followed his RN peers down that route. He probably has an issued CWC SBS quartz diver for certain covert missions; but when he goes in overtly under an assumed identity as a businessman, he'd need to look prosperous, not flashy. I reckon he'd want a GMT watch with a quick-set hour hand (not a quick-set GMT hand). I've said no Omega, or a Planet Ocean 8500 would have been a good all-round choice.

So it's an IWC UTC as a daily wearer, plus whatever he's issued for whatever mission he's on at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    Given Bond's snobbish attitude and sophisticated tastes, his watch couldn't be something that the common man aspires to, it would have to be an exclusive, tough, tool watch, but it couldn't be "flash".
    That remark succinctly summarizes Fleming's ethos, as I've seen it explained. "Reverse snobbery" is the description I've seen. It refers to the desire to know what the best product is, to then own it, but to wear it until you've worn it to the point of wearing it out. You shun flashy displays of wealth, but your appreciation of life's finer things is apparent to those who know what they're looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    Flemming had Bond wear a Rolex oyster ,Im sure this would still be the case today so i say a datejust or oyster date (34mm case)
    Correct. He currently wears a 34 mm date.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    That remark succinctly summarizes Fleming's ethos, as I've seen it explained. "Reverse snobbery" is the description I've seen. It refers to the desire to know what the best product is, to then own it, but to wear it until you've worn it to the point of wearing it out. You shun flashy displays of wealth, but your appreciation of life's finer things is apparent to those who know what they're looking at.
    Which is actually a very sensible way of doing it, in terms of £ cost per days' wear...

Quote Originally Posted by "HappyJack"

So it's an IWC UTC as a daily wearer, plus whatever he's issued for whatever mission he's on at the time.

[img
    http://www.watchnet.com/img/tradebig/3251strap2.jpg[/img]
    The water resistant rating of these isn't that great though is it?

I can't see him not requiring a digital function - so one of the digital Breitlings would be my thought.

Hmmmmm.....prince Harry sports a new explorer 2......defo not upper working class! Oh and not for that reason but I believe the new explorer 2 black dial wouldn't go amiss on bonds radar!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti

Hmmmmm.....prince Harry sports a new explorer 2......defo not upper working class! Oh and not for that reason but I believe the new explorer 2 black dial wouldn't go amiss on bonds radar!
    Prince Harry... :shock: I rest my case - hardly the stylish royal!!! :lol: Bond may be in her majesties service but it doesnt mean he has to lower himself to her level!

What about something serious from Sinn? Maybe the 203? It's man enough to be wherever he will, especially the cold of Russia. It's proof to 200m and tegimented so he won't scratch it when he uses it as a knuckle duster.

Either that or it would be a Plane Ocean, or maybe a SD.

Yes, black dial would be his choice since he so often get caught up in nocturnal excitement, both with women and hunting enemies.

Prince Harry... :shock: I rest my case - hardly the stylish royal!!! :lol: Bond may be in her majesties service but it doesnt mean he has to lower himself to her level!
    Well, brands don't get to choose all their "ambassadors"

from

http://www.ablogtoread.com/charlie-shee ... -watch-ad/

And for a European royalty not destined to inherit the throne, I would sat that Harry is in the top 20%, regarding character and life. He could do much worse ...

Apprentice

My two penny's worth

Some excellent choices so far….

Unfortunately I tend to differ with you all.

My logic went at follows: Having read all of the Bond novels and being very familiar with the life of Ian Fleming I have one definite conclusion concerning ‘Bond’s’ watch choice. Namely, that it would be English and tailored to his special needs and requirements. Just like his suits; just like his cars. For example, 4.5 litre Bentley with an Amherst Villiers Supercharger; the Morland Specials made especially for Fleming from Balkan tobacco which contained a higher level of nicotine than normal cigarettes and which had three gold circles around the cigarette representing his rank of commander in the RNVR. Etc etc.

Now, at this point, you might say, then why did he select a Rolex for his hero in the book on the above basis? Well, both the choice of watch and the choice of firearms were both aberrations from the norm.

The eventual choice of the Walther PPK is a story all in itself.

As for the watch, see the following comment by Dell Deaton
    “Review of the original manuscript for Live and Let Die now held in the LillyLibrary archives at Indiana University (Bloomington) shows the Rolex name was included in that first story draft, which was completed no later than February, 1953. On page 111, to be exact.”
    http://jamesbondwatches.blogspot.co....y-in-live.html

See also:
    http://rolexblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009...ubmariner.html

Fleming wrote an article for the Sunday Times (April 1953) on Cousteau after a visit to Marseilles where the Calypso was then docked. Lycet, Fleming’s biographer, writes: "Cousteau presented his guest with a copy of his book, The Silent World. As a keepsake of their earlier meeting in London, the intrepid explorer signed it, 'En souvenir d'une soirée à Londres où it y a beaucoup été question de poisson... et d'illusions menacóes.'" Ian Fleming, (1995) Weidenfeld & Nicholson pp. 241-2, 246, 252, 264

Cousteau (as you can see from the photographs) would have wearing the brand new product from Rolex: the original submariner.
    This interview took place, as another of Fleming's biographer's (John Pearson, Jonathan Cape, 1966 p. 226) writes, "Just as Casino Royale was being published and Fleming was putting the finishing touches to his account of the underwater hunt for the treasure of Bloody Morgan in Live and Let Die,…”

Our hero James Bond is first mentioned as wearing a Rolex submariner in 'Live and Let Die.' He is wearing it in a diving sequence.
    So Fleming chose the watch because he knew that his ‘action hero’ would be involved in diving (Fleming was a keen enthusiast himself). Fleming was certainly a ‘kit junkie.’ What better than to outfit his hero with the brand new state-of-the-art diving watch, as worn by World’s most famous diver?

However, would the modern Cousteau wear a Rolex? Unlikely: he would have some form of dive computer.
    Oh, and one should also add that the Rolex Oyster Perpetual features in On Her Majesty’s Service was indeed customised for Bond’s own special purposes. It was equipped with an expanding steel strap so that the watch might also be used as a knuckle duster.

So,….and this is just my opinion…..How would ‘Bond’ choose the specs for his timepiece? What would his requirements be? What would he tell his ‘watch tailor’?

Here goes:

English: Yes (think of the car, the cigarettes). Made by my man down the road to my particular specifications.
    Digital or analogue: Definitely analogue. Digital has many advantages but your brain is more responsive – particularly at speed and under stress – to the traditional dial. In any case, does Bond need to know the barometric pressure or the time in Honolulu?
    Water resistance? Yes, 200m or above.

Diving bezel: Yes: Ceramic with lumed markers.

Crystal: Sapphire. Anti-reflective coating (underside ONLY. On the outside it shows scratches like nobody’s business)
    Dial: Black with decent super luminova lume but not like the Blackpool illuminations (ie not tritium tubes).
    Movement: Auto or quartz. Sorry, got to be quartz on this one. He drives a car not a horse and buggy. I would suggest an ETA 955, 7 jewel movement. Tried and tested over the years and never found wanting. High accuracy and high torque (I notice that the oil-filled watch always use the 955 movements, probably because of the torque factor).

Strap: Not the most glamorous but the most useful; A wrap around hook and loop Kevlar/Mylar band. Very comfortable and can be placed and a wetsuit or jumpsuit. Also, Kevlar is, for its weight, stronger than steel.

In the alternative…..

Give Bond TWO watches.

The above for the all action hero (not a million miles away from: Sinn 815; Tutima 513; PRS18Q; CWC Diver; Sinn EZM 2; Bell & Ross Type marine to name a small number).
    and…

a George Daniels (all one-off, English, tailored watches), for the casino and the seduction.

Just my thoughts.

He'd use his phone like everyone else

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Have to agree with the Bremont suggestion - fits the Flemingian Bond perfectly

Apprentice

Bremont

Yeah, good shout.

I should have added the Bremont Descent or Supermarine 500/2000 to my list of 'almost there's.'

Really excellent pieces of kit.

If Bond were about today he would have been replaced by a geek with extensive experience of SigInt and stand-off surveillance systems but no idea of how to interact with actual people - said geek would be wearing a vintage Seiko or Casio LCD in an ironic manner.

Bond himself would have been RIFd out of the service and walked straight in to a job with his old school chums at an investment bank where he would wear something brash, ugly and priced to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by superrupert View Post

Give Bond TWO watches.

The above for the all action hero (not a million miles away from: Sinn 815; Tutima 513; PRS18Q; CWC Diver; Sinn EZM 2; Bell & Ross Type marine to name a small number).
    and…

a George Daniels (all one-off, English, tailored watches), for the casino and the seduction.

Just my thoughts.

People make their suggestion of what watch Bond would wear based on watches they like themselves.Therefore associate their own watch choice would be the same as Bond.

Bond cover role is a salesman for universal exports and everything he has , he likes the best. From the hotels he stays at, to the restaurants he dines in ,to the car he drives to the way he likes finely tailored clothes etc.
    Bearing that in mind we have all these posts in the thread saying he would wear a Sinn ,CWC ,PRS why? They are decent watches but hardly luxurious or the best.

When on a mission and where military clothing he would wear the British standard special forces watch as all his clothes and gear would be the standard special forces garb.

When he is jsut going about his business and everything else he would probably wear an expensive sturdy steel watch.(possibly a Rolex)

- - - Updated - - -

Give Bond TWO watches.

and…

Just my thoughts.

People make their suggestion of what watch Bond would wear based on watches they like themselves.Therefore associate their own watch choice would be the same as Bond.

Bond cover role is a salesman for universal exports and everything he has , he likes the best. From the hotels he stays at, to the restaurants he dines in ,to the car he drives to the way he likes finely tailored clothes etc.
    Bearing that in mind we have all these posts in the thread saying he would wear a Sinn ,CWC ,PRS why? They are decent watches but hardly luxurious or the best.

When on a mission and where military clothing he would wear the British standard special forces watch as all his clothes and gear would be the standard special forces garb.

When he is jsut going about his business and everything else he would probably wear an expensive sturdy steel watch.(possibly a Rolex)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Bond himself would have been RIFd out of the service and walked straight in to a job with his old school chums at an investment bank where he would wear something brash, ugly and priced to impress.
    Now you're talking - and the brand is on-message too :)

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    easily visible from all angles while garroting some no gooder
    "28... 29... 30. Dead."

I was expecting this thread to become a rehash of all the old Bond watch discussions, so I'm pleasantly surprised. This is the most fun I've had reading a thread here in a long time. Still, I think we are conflating three Bonds in our discussion: Fleming's Bond, the Bond of the movies and a more generic "Bond" who represents a current MI-6 operative with a Royal Navy background. I'm having more fun thinking about it from the standpoint of Fleming's Bond, a public-school educated former Royal Navy commander with impeccable taste and some means.

Fleming gave Bond a Rolex, as others have mentioned, because it was one of a few watches available at the time that could go from swimming ashore to wearing with a dinner jacket. If he were writing today, would he still choose a Rolex? I don't know. He might consider modern Rolexes too flashy, expensive or, it has to be said, common for Bond, despite all their positive attributes. And a new Explorer is surely much more expensive in today's money than it was when Fleming first wrote about it.

Plus, we are well beyond the point where Rolexes are primarily the choice of mountaineers and divers and explorers. I seriously doubt Fleming would have given Bond a Rolex if they were the contemporary choice of investment bankers and pop stars, not to mention successful members of the merchant class.

As an aside, I love the idea of Bond wearing a Bremont, and I can imagine Fleming giving one to Bond if he were writing today.

I'm no Bond scholar, but I haven't seen any evidence in the books or quotes from books that Bond gave as much thought to his watch as he did to his car or his clothes or his cigarettes. (He liked that he could read the numbers in the dark and punch people in the face with it.)

If he were to purchase his own watch, versus wearing one that was issued to him or inherited, I think he would buy it at a watchmaker somewhere near where he has his suits tailored, perhaps the place where his father and grandfather bought their watches. It would be steel and waterproof, not the most expensive one in the shop nor the cheapest, not a common watch but probably not one he had never heard of. So what would that be?

And I have to stop now because, inevitably, I have come to the point of suggesting watches that I own.

Probably a G-Shock.

Master
    And the winner is...

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I think he should wear a Bremont (serious).

Eddie
    Good call

But which one ?

A lot of traditional style watches suggested, I'll stick my neck and go for something like the Citizen Appleseed. It's a make that a lot of people can associate with, is stylish, modern, looks gadgety from the off and very practical for the worldwide traveller that needs to synchronise his/her escape time with the timers on the booby trapped bombs that they've planted.

Banned
    Daniel Craig wears quite a few Rolex models and is rather partial to NATOs too

heres a pic and close up of Fleming Ive not seen before wearing his explorer (probably)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Never ever a battery quartz. Not reliable enough.
    He needs picking up at 23:56 fook the battery died at 23:13 bugger. Missed his pick up. He's dead!!!

:twisted:

Q can't believe it...... :lol:
    What about his automatic? Doesn't realise it's been losing 10 seconds a day for a week, so he's a minute late and it's gone anyway?

It must be a Citizen Eco-drive. This thread was shut in a drawer from March 2012 until today, but it's ticking along nicely
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    The ideal watch is clearly reasonably luxurious for several reasons:
    - Bond's taste for the good life
    - It has to work in a casino
    - To blend in when going under cover infiltrating high rolling bad guys who own dubious global corporations
    - To look sexy when seducing dangerous ladies and pumping them for information. Sorry, but it does go with the territory.
    It must be versatile, being wearable:
    - With a suit, as above
    - Or in a more casual setting
    - Underwater, when the mission takes an unexpected but all too common twist
    It must be able to blend in more or less anywhere, and so should not be too unusual or memorable (sorry Bremont), in order to blend in and disappear where needed.
    It must be reasonably rugged, in order to survive fights and motorcycle chases, so no fragile dress watches
    It should not be too thin, in order to be able to discretely contain a tracker or other additional Q branch technology

So gentlemen... I give you, without further ado, either the Omega Aqua Terra in blue, or the Omega PO in black.

Oh.

Very well, as an alternative, it would have to be the Rolex Explorer II in black, which also ticks all the boxes, and the GMT hand could be useful while globe trotting. It also follows on quite naturally from the original Explorer ala Fleming.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    It must be a Citizen Eco-drive. This thread was shut in a drawer from March 2012 until today, but it's ticking along nicely
    Ha! One year and eight months, is that a record?

Apprentice

Daniel Craig's choice

Thanks for the pictures Josh B.

That third colour photograph is quite interesting.

I have seen him interviewed around that time and managed to have a good vada at is watch.

It is a 1960-70s Omega Seamaster 300. Praiseworthy as that is, that is not what makes it interesting to me.

It's the strap that is interesting. It looks like a NATO but, on close examination, it is not.

It is a single strip strap with a cloth keeper. It is a replica, near as damn it, to the one worn by SC is Goldfinger and Thunderball. What impresses me is that he has gone for an Omega (fair enough given the sponsorship) but also gone for James Bond pedigree with the strap.

A thoroughly good egg and we Woollybacks are very proud of him.

Banned
    Thanks for the pictures Josh B.

That third colour photograph is quite interesting.

I have seen him interviewed around that time and managed to have a good vada at is watch.

It is a 1960-70s Omega Seamaster 300. Praiseworthy as that is, that is not what makes it interesting to me.

It's the strap that is interesting. It looks like a NATO but, on close examination, it is not.

It is a single strip strap with a cloth keeper. It is a replica, near as damn it, to the one worn by SC is Goldfinger and Thunderball. What impresses me is that he has gone for an Omega (fair enough given the sponsorship) but also gone for James Bond pedigree with the strap.

A thoroughly good egg and we Woollybacks are very proud of him.
    its not an Omega. Its a Project X Designs SS1 Rolex