closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tis a bit nippy tonight!! - Correction, it's bloody cold!!!!

Master

Tis a bit nippy tonight!! - Correction, it's bloody cold!!!!

That is the air temperature, and with the windchill, you can add another 6 or 7 degrees as well :bigsmurf:

Will be here for another couple of days, and then next week will be a positivley tropical feeling -2C 8) And of course, that is not an unusual temperature swing - sometimes it can happen in one day :? Not happened to me yet, but have heard stories :wink:

Edit - just had an update from the airport unit, it is currently -49C with the windchill and Environment Canada has issued an extreme weather advisory for the city - Now that is seriously cold :evil:

Master

Re: Tis a bit nippy tonight!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond

That is the air temperature, and with the windchill, you can add another 6 or 7 degrees as well :bigsmurf:

Will be here for another couple of days, and then next week will be a positivley tropical feeling -2C 8) And of course, that is not an unusual temperature swing - sometimes it can happen in one day :? Not happened to me yet, but have heard stories :wink:

Edit - just had an update from the airport unit, it is currently -49C with the windchill and Environment Canada has issued an extreme weather advisory for the city - Now that is seriously cold :evil:
    Canada, a winter wonderland! We haven't gotten that cold yet this year, but we were down to -23C on the weekend (not sure about the wind chill, but it was windy).

Stay warm!

Jay

Master

Re: Tis a bit nippy tonight!!!!!

That is seriously cold Chris, Lincoln is a balmy 7c.

BRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I'm colder just looking at that.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Re: Tis a bit nippy tonight!! - Correction, it's bloody cold!!!!

Extremely 8)
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Flip, I was bi*ching about -4 and scraping a bit of frost of the car here. :shock:

Journeyman

Yes it's been a bit chilly here too, this is a Fahrenheit reading. *grin*

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by nanuq
    Yes it's been a bit chilly here too, this is a Fahrenheit reading. *grin*

Jesus! Is that Skegness?

It's been really strange here in Sheffield, -8 on Monday, -5 yesterday and +9 this morning. 17 degrees difference in just 2 days.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

I would like to experience extreme cold temperatures and ofent wanted to go to the far norht in mid winter. Coldest I have experienced is round -16 C in the Alps. I want to feel at least -40 C

Wow that is cold i've never experienced that kind of temperature before I thought -1 was cold playing footy on Monday night :shock:

We really are a load of woofters. My dad, as a prisoner of war, was marched from East Poland to Germany in January to April 1945 in temperatures down to - 20. They had no decent clothing and slept in barns and fields. He could never stand the cold after that.

Yet my dad was brought up in Pre-War Prussia, as was, and loved the cold winters with real sleighs and horses with bells. -40C was a regular there. He keeps his house far cooler than I can stand.

Best avoid impromtu road-side toilet breaks :sad5: :lol:

Master

...And of course, that is not an unusual temperature swing - sometimes it can happen in one day
    I was in Finland a few years back and when we arrived at the hotel late at night it was a relatively mild -2. The lady on reception told us the weather was changing and that it would be much colder in the morning. We were expecting minus mid teens but got a bit of a shock when we came down to breakfast and it was -24. Quite a shift in the 12 hours or so.

Blog Entries

Yep, that's cold!

I've written this before: my wife is from Canada and she told me that when she was a kid, her parents had to listen to the local radio stations before my wife and her kid brother went to school. Below a certain temp. level kids weren't allowed to walk the streets to school! If they did go on foot, they were 'arrested' and taken to the police station were the parents could come and collect them. And these parents had to face an angry police man.

One of my wife's family relatives is a police officer in Toronto and he and his collegue , on cold nights, arrest homeless people for something like 'jaywalking' an empty street... or loitering... just to get them off the street to prevent that they will freeze to death.

Menno

Journeyman

My job used to be on the arctic coast and we were required to carry written permission to work outside when it was below -40F ambient. After awhile you get used to those temps and don't really notice them anymore.

Then we got a cold snap, it dropped to -72F. Then the wind came up, blowing 45mph that entire week. It was brutal working outside in that; the numbers were off the bottom of the windchill charts. We estimated it at -165 to -170F. Truly chilly out!

I love the fact that we can live and work in these conditions, makes me remember what a hardy bunch of beggars we truly are.

Be careful out there Chris!

Master

I will my friend, as I have one of these at my disposal :wink:

You need to get that car seen to, are you sure your outside temp sensor is not broken! LOL

That is cold!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deeg40
    You need to get that car seen to, are you sure your outside temp sensor is not broken! LOL That is cold!
    Maybe you're right, driving home yesterday morning after the nightshift the temperature gauge briefly read -38C close to my house, but couldn't get a picture as I was driving at the time :bigsmurf:

At the moment it is getting a little warmer - only -27C :wink:

At the moment it is getting a little warmer - only -27C :wink:[/quote]
    LOL

Be careful.